• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) loses against #Microsoft (Up: See post #12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Lose Willy Wonka GIF

Topher

Gold Member

Eh....nah, I don't think that is right. Here is what was submitted on June 6. Just says this one attorney "withdraws as attorney of record for counsel supporting the complaint in the above-captioned matter". I don't see how that is withdrawing the entire complaint. And the media would have jumped on this in a heartbeat.

8pbpdFP.png

Edit: This is because James Weingarten left the FTC and joined a law firm.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Eh....nah, I don't think that is right. Here is what was submitted on June 6. Just says this one attorney "withdraws as attorney of record for counsel supporting the complaint in the above-captioned matter". I don't see how that is withdrawing the entire complaint. And the media would have jumped on this in a heartbeat.

Edit: This is because James Weingarten left the FTC and joined a law firm.

Not that it makes a whole lot of difference in the grand scheme of things. The FTC has seemed a bit scatter-brained on why they want to block this acquisition from the get-go. But how crazy would it be if they won and all of the work Microsoft put into this would have to be completely undone. I would die of laughter.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont know if it's true, but I remember when the whole MS/Activision thing was going on, someone (or an article) said that out of all these high profile FTC cases against big tech companies, the FTC has won none of them.

You'd think if there's anyone in the world who'd know more about business laws it's FTC employees. lol

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Not that it makes a whole lot of difference in the grand scheme of things. The FTC has seemed a bit scatter-brained on why they want to block this acquisition from the get-go. But how crazy would it be if they won and all of the work Microsoft put into this would have to be completely undone. I would die of laughter.

As would I. I don't think for a second that the FTC is going to be able to break up ABK and MS at this point. Seem pretty inevitable that the FTC fails, frankly, but this wasn't it.

This is a pointless thread really and should be locked.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
As would I. I don't think for a second that the FTC is going to be able to break up ABK and MS at this point. Seem pretty inevitable that the FTC fails, frankly, but this wasn't it.

This is a pointless thread really and should be locked.
It's not pointless.
This just means that ftc can't break them at this point, unless MS gaming grow too big.

Topher

Gold Member
How could FTC lose ? This is mindblowing. We are talking about a compary that has the most agreessive bullying behavior on the planet, that has stiffled innovation and competitors using its size and monopoly on certain markets, but yet somehow is allowed to buy 2 editors in a row ? 🤔

Something is definitely wrong. And Europe should have blocked thé deal. Sad this happened and sad for people without a fucking idea of what really happened.

RCU005

I just can't stop thinking that Microsoft bought Activision in order to prepare for becoming third party. The Xbox just doesn't sell outside of the US.

Nintendo has made TWO comebacks (Wii and Switch) after horrible failures. While it could be possible that MS achieve it too, it's unlikely. Although Sony is losing a lot of good faith this generation, so there's a chance.

It will be very interesting to see what Microsoft does for next generation if they come up with a new console. Otherwise, the only logical step is to become third party. Just look at the numbers. How much would COD sell if they made it exclusive? Add to it that it will be on GamePass, and it doesn't seem so great for them.

Hudo

Gold Member
We are talking about a compary that has the most agreessive bullying behavior on the planet, that has stiffled innovation and competitors using its size and monopoly on certain markets, but yet somehow is allowed to buy 2 editors in a row ?
I mean, the FTC also doesn't seem to give a shit about Nvidia, Meta, Google, Amazon, Ford and other companies that are as equally shitty when it comes to stuff like that so...

Three

What is the reason? (i'm aware its not this btw):messenger_sunglasses:

The service is wank as of late, a few old COD campaign's might tide me over until MS get around to releasing something decent in 2049.
They want to drip feed them possibly. They put Diablo there what makes old titles different? The tweet is kind of nonsense.

Three

How could FTC lose ? This is mindblowing. We are talking about a compary that has the most agreessive bullying behavior on the planet, that has stiffled innovation and competitors using its size and monopoly on certain markets, but yet somehow is allowed to buy 2 editors in a row ? 🤔

Something is definitely wrong. And Europe should have blocked thé deal. Sad this happened and sad for people without a fucking idea of what really happened.
Europe had Ubisoft bolstered by the deal. No way they were blocking it. Besides xbox is dead in Europe anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom