• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump:I pardoned Arpaio during hurricane because I thought TV ratings would be higher

President Trump on Monday said he announced his pardon of former Maricopa County, Ariz., Sheriff Joe Arpaio as Hurricane Harvey made landfall in Texas because he “assumed the ratings would be far higher.”

“In the middle of a hurricane, even though it was a Friday evening, I assumed the ratings would be far higher than they would be normally,” Trump said during a press conference with Finnish President Sauli Niinistö. “You know, the hurricane was just starting.”

“He’s done a great job for the people of Arizona, he’s very strong on borders, very strong on illegal immigration,” Trump said about Arpaio. “I thought he was treated unbelievably unfairly when they came down with their big decision to go get him right before the election voting started.”
Democrats blasted Trump on Friday for announcing his pardon of Arpaio as Harvey made landfall, with Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) accusing Trump of “using the cover of the storm” to issue the pardon.

The White House announced Trump’s decision to pardon Arpaio on Friday night in a statement.

“Throughout his time as Sheriff, Arpaio continued his life’s work of protecting the public from the scourges of crime and illegal immigration,” the White House said.

“Sheriff Joe Arpaio is now eighty-five years old, and after more than fifty years of admirable service to our Nation, he is a worthy candidate for a Presidential pardon.”

Arpaio was convicted of criminal contempt after he disobeyed a federal judge’s order to stop racially profiling individuals suspected of illegally entering the U.S.

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...during-hurricane-because-i-thought-tv-ratings

entremet

I saw this on the original thread.

Think is beyond bonkers but that’s what we get for electing a reallity TV star.

chefbags

Lol yeah so worthy of that pardon huh. With all the fucking crimes he's done and the piece of shit he is, then surely he deserved that pardon. Fucking asshole.

Caelus

Yeah, this has been stated before, but anyone who continues to support this asshole is a fucking piece of shit. I really don't care about whatever sob story they use to justify their support, this makes me sick to my stomach.

Ashhong

I really don't understand this statement. What do the ratings have to do with the hurricane? How is that an excuse, even in Trumpland?

rjinaz

It's all a game to him, he doesn't actually care about this country or the people in it. That much is clear. How much money and how much attention can he get? That's what matters to our president. What amazes me is that millions of people are perfectly fine with that.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
He wants attention diverted away from the hurricane and people dying and having their lives destroyed and towards himself.

Amazing.

nny

He's going to fire any Harvey that happens to work for him to get his revenge on the hurricane.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Also, it's pretty obvious already, but here is pretty explicit evidence that they have been timing announcements based on other news that comes out.

Supha_Volt

Neo Member
I mean there are more important things than ratings!!! Like the people in Texas that you stiffed with a good luck you imbecile...

So basically what he is saying is that he doesn't give a fantastic flying ferret fuck about his base in Texas unless they are paying attention to him, even if it means lives are lost in a act of mother nature. Once again, from the bottom of my heart, Trump.....FUCK YOU!!!!!

KarmaCow

I really don't understand this statement. What do the ratings have to do with the hurricane? How is that an excuse, even in Trumpland?

He's trying to counter the claim he pardoned him right before Harvey hit to avoid backlash but did it in the most awful, childish way possible.

I don't follow. Is he saying he thought he news should happen DURING the hurricane to get more eyes on it? Was he trying to COMPETE with the hurricane? What the fuck do RATINGS have to do with the decision to pardon Arpaio. He's not producing a fucking reality tv show here. I genuinely don't even know what twisted logic he's trying to explain.
He's trying to counter the claim he pardoned him right before Harvey hit to avoid backlash but did it in the most awful, childish way possible.
Thanks. I guess. What the fuck.

RMI

Banned
Dude is so happy this storm is happening so he can talk up what a big disaster it is. What a piece of shit.

OrionX

I don't follow. Is he saying he thought he news should happen DURING the hurricane to get more eyes on it? Was he trying to COMPETE with the hurricane? What the fuck do RATINGS have to do with the decision to pardon Arpaio. He's not producing a fucking reality tv show here. I genuinely don't even know what twisted logic he's trying to explain.

"You used the hurricane as a smokescreen for your controversial pardon!"

Trump: "Nuh-uh I was actually trying to use the hurricane to draw more attention to myself!"

I can somehow fathom this, but I wish I didn't have to

rjinaz

I think, think, he was trying to contradict what the media was saying about him being a coward and trying to have this happen quietly.

"I wasn't trying to hide nothing, in fact, I thought MORE people would hear the news".

In typical Trump fashion he makes things worse.

01360a2249f770267c221ee34c2acc8b.gif

Top Bottom