• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft booed at Rainbow Six Siege tournament for announcing paid subscription

Draugoth

Gold Member
Ubisoft, as part of the BLAST R6 Major Manchester tournament, has revealed details of the next season of Rainbow Six Siege. The season is called Operation New Blood and starts on June 11.

Operation New Blood will also include several new features: a marketplace, an elite Fenrir pack and a paid subscription, which includes a battle pass with ten updated levels, credits, packs and cosmetics. This last novelty has angered many players - the announcement of the subscription at the tournament was accompanied by a lot of booing, and the main video on YouTube has received 18,000 dislikes at the time of writing. (To see the dislikes, you need to install an extension on your browser, as YouTube leaves them hidden).

If I was there I wouldn't have the energy to boo.

You can't boo something when your expectations are so low as to be non-existent.

Not to mention that this is just 1 part of Ubisoft's whole thing. They test people's patience, apologize, people get off their ass, then they walk back on the apology by slowly going back to the thing they used to test people's patience.

Boring boring boring.

March Climber

Gold Member
Ubisoft should just give in to public perception:

wrestling-wwe.gif

Bridges

Idk I like Siege but they have already been selling $20 and $40 skins in the shop plus shitty battle passes. This seems like a weird hill to die on, just don't buy them. It's all cosmetics.

I don't like this shit either but the actual content of the game is great. It's one of the only good things Ubi has going for it

GHound

Gold Member
They already have a subscription service and now they want one specifically for one of their games? Fucking donkeys. Where does it end?

I'm honestly wondering how many of these debacles it's going to take for gamers to wake the fuck up. A lot, clearly.
I think people would be lost if they stopped defending the milking of their wallets, censorship, trend chasing, grifters, the weaponization of entertainment, and poor hiring practices perpetuated by insane penny pinching tactics and tax breaks.

Saber

Gold Member
At least its something. If no one ever criticizes them for that, then when they gonna ever stop? I say we need more of boooing.

Last edited:

Paltheos

Making that kind of announcement via prerecorded video is smart. That way no one from the company has to deal with the backlash from their customers.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
UBI has to be at deaths door by now?

What the fuck man.

Well, they must be. All of the fucktard decisions they've made lately doesn't scream of a company in control.

If these GaaS games were smart, they’d make a cheaper battlepass tier that unlocks frustration, F Ubi, anti sub type content.

They’d get the haters to buy a sub even if they won’t do the main sub.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
This is what, “this isn’t that bad, the store isn’t on every page, just cosmetics, subscriptions are good, blah blah blah” turns into right before your eyes. They will keep pushing until there are no bank accounts left to empty.

Last edited:

MacReady13

They already have a subscription service and now they want one specifically for one of their games? Fucking donkeys. Where does it end?
For years I have been saying that gaming would go down this route, and some people in here were saying I'm shouting to the clouds like an old man and it would never happen! It would only be game pass and maybe EA's sub service and nothing else... Some gamers just never learn.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Rainbow six was the definition of tactical shooters, we loved terrorist hunt, and obviously siege is far from those and it’s priority now is major league gaming, sponsorships, drone and gadget gimmicks I can go on and on.

phant0m

"We built a huge community and massively successful competitive FPS game by continuously supporting it for a decade with free updates and a fair system for earning paid content (Eg operators) just by playing the game. How fast could we possibly burn a decade of goodwill?"

Ubi exec: "Hold my Molson light."

Last edited:

wipeout364

It really surprised me that they did this during arguably the worst season content drop in the history of siege. They showed absolutely nothing of interest for this season. Honestly they should have waited for next year and announced a big road map.

Ubisoft is in a real bad state I think, I suspect their financials are almost at a point where something is going to break. Siege feels like it has a skeleton crew on support and is one of their big money makers, but they treat it like garbage.

If I was going to pull this stunt I would have just tied it into the uplay subscription. Added this as a bonus to drive up subscription numbers instead of bringing it out as its own thing.

Sensates

I used to be a big fan but gave up some time ago. It felt janky and dated after years of (no) updates.
Surprised nobody tried to make a competitor of this.

Shubh_C63

Rainbow Six Siege is probably their most well received game and a gaas. They probably thought they will get away with this, which they will.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
It really surprised me that they did this during arguably the worst season content drop in the history of siege. They showed absolutely nothing of interest for this season. Honestly they should have waited for next year and announced a big road map.

Ubisoft is in a real bad state I think, I suspect their financials are almost at a point where something is going to break. Siege feels like it has a skeleton crew on support and is one of their big money makers, but they treat it like garbage.

If I was going to pull this stunt I would have just tied it into the uplay subscription. Added this as a bonus to drive up subscription numbers instead of bringing it out as its own thing.
I agree. They should have bundled this with uplay plus.

They probably are in trouble financially.

Mainline Assassin's Creed games are the only ones I enjoy. Though I didn't like Valhalla.

Most of their games don't have strong critical reception either.

I wonder if they will sell the company eventually. I know they were against a take over by a company a few years ago.

Last edited:

Embearded

They lost me when they introduced stupid outfits for the characters.
It's supposed to be a tactical shooter with a few realistic mechanisms and they added pink outfits...

nikos

Let's boo new content coming to the nearly 10 year old game we came to see because we're too cheap to support it. Makes sense.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I bought a battle pass for Apex legends and one for Halo and have never bought a cosmetic, and I don't play R6 Siege. So, I'm not exactly in the target demographic.

So, forgive me for asking, Siege came out almost a decade ago and a Ubisoft have been supporting it since. Is an entirely optional set of purchases so bad?

Paasei

I'm happy I played R6 Siege when it was still fun. Was one of the best FPS games for a while, actually. They ruined it for me by adding a gazillion characters and with that removed one of the major aspects of the game. Selecting the character setup was a big deal in what you could and couldn't counter.

This game is almost 10 yaers old though. Who cares? There already was a battle pass, too. I don't get it.

Last edited:

Hudo

Gold Member
I know a guy who maintains that not only is Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear the best Rainbow Six game by far, but it also is one of the best FPS games ever made

I have no stakes in this and I haven't played Rogue Spear. But I sure as hell believe that it's at least among the best Rainbow Six games. Whatever the fuck Ubisoft are crapping out as Rainbow Six nowadays is a far cry (pun intended) from what these games once were about.

Roufianos

Idk I like Siege but they have already been selling $20 and $40 skins in the shop plus shitty battle passes. This seems like a weird hill to die on, just don't buy them. It's all cosmetics.

I don't like this shit either but the actual content of the game is great. It's one of the only good things Ubi has going for it
$40 skins for a FPS game. I wouldn't even care if my character was a fat naked granny, I'm not seeing it.

Ogbert

I have zero problems with a paid subscription or battle pass.

Take a look, if it’s worth it, buy it. If not, move on. This feels like phony pearl clutching. They all probably spent £50 plus to attend the show.

The financial realities of video game making have changed.

Top Bottom