• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UEFA Champions League: Finale: Borussia Dortmund - Real Madrid

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yep, I feel the pressure of it getting to the ref. Handing out the yellows for tacky crap and typical Vinicius acting ala Neymar.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Dortmund only have themselves to blame if they lose this. Madrid haven't been in this game at all and Dortmund have missed some sitters.

IDKFA

Fucking out of nowhere. Madrid have been asleep for 70 mins, but that goal has woken the giants up.

Can't see it going any other way now.

IDKFA

Game over now.

Dortmund have been sloppy since it went 1-0. It's like they gave up. Now it's 2-0 and Dortmund would need a miracle to win this now.

Dortmund wasted their chances in first half and it cost them the game.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Well done to Real Madrid. Dortmund were very good in the first half but if you don’t convert your half chances in a final against a team like Madrid you have no chance.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It was a reasonable match that needed the gol from an inexperienced Dortmund. Madrid has too much talent to overcome leaving 2-4 goals on the table.

DKehoe

Pity for Reus that he couldn't have got it in his last game for Dortmund. But a Real Madrid win felt inevitable.

I'm curious to see how Mbappe fits into this team. I assume rather than having him on the wings you play him as a 9, which PSG have done recently, and drop Bellingham deeper into midfield, particularly with Kross now gone. The amount of relatively young talent Real Madrid are stacking up is pretty ridiculous.

AJUMP23

I saw the first header for goal it was good. I thought the Yellow team had a goal and the offsides call was bad.

IDKFA

Pity for Reus that he couldn't have got it in his last game for Dortmund. But a Real Madrid win felt inevitable.

I'm curious to see how Mbappe fits into this team. I assume rather than having him on the wings you play him as a 9, which PSG have done recently, and drop Bellingham deeper into midfield, particularly with Kross now gone. The amount of relatively young talent Real Madrid are stacking up is pretty ridiculous.

Considering Mbappe was a free transfer, I can see them further strengthening their midfield and replacing Carvajal at right-back.

They're going to be too OP next season.

calistan

Gold Member
Considering Mbappe was a free transfer, I can see them further strengthening their midfield and replacing Carvajal at right-back.

There have been two very dubious deals involving Mbappe. First the 'loan' move to PSG that allowed them to sign Neymar for €222m at the same time. Then the 'free' move to Real that's actually a €150m transfer but with the fee paid to the player in instalments on top of his salary.

I guess this allows Real to evade any financial fair play rules. They still don't have an actual striker, so maybe they'll be in the market for one of those too. Or maybe they don't really need one with Mbappe and Vinicius.

DKehoe

That midfield is already pretty ridiculous. There's Bellingham, Valverde, Tchouameni and Camavinga who are all young with a shit load of potential and Modric is still around as well. But with Kroos retiring it couldn't hurt to strengthen there anyway. I'm really interested to see what they settle on as their starting lineup in midfield next season, or maybe they just constantly rotate.

I do figure they look to replace Carvajal at some point soon although him scoring in the final probably means they don't do so immediately. I could see them moving for Hakimi in the next few years. He was in their academy and seems to have a good relationship with Mbappe. Or if they do bring in Xabi Alonso to take over from Ancelotti next year maybe he brings Frimpong with him, although there's a decent chance he moves somewhere this summer. For left back there was talk that they were getting Alphonso Davies, but it seems like that's maybe cooled recently. The other player I'd heard them linked with was Leny Yoro, who a lot of clubs seem to be looking at and that does seem to match their recent player profile of going for young players with a lot of potential.

What's mad is they've lined all of this up while building a brand new state-of-the-art stadium. For other teams that kind of thing can mean a few years of tightening the budget but between that being completed and the age profile of their team Real Madrid is looking ridiculous for the next few years. Although who knows, maybe the Mbappe transfer throws the whole thing off balance.

There have been two very dubious deals involving Mbappe. First the 'loan' move to PSG that allowed them to sign Neymar for €222m at the same time. Then the 'free' move to Real that's actually a €150m transfer but with the fee paid to the player in instalments on top of his salary.

I guess this allows Real to evade any financial fair play rules. They still don't have an actual striker, so maybe they'll be in the market for one of those too. Or maybe they don't really need one with Mbappe and Vinicius.
I don't think Mbappe being a "free" transfer means they can avoid FFP. His signing on fees and wages will still count towards that, someone who knows more about that stuff can correct me though, I know that the La Liga restrictions are tighter than elsewhere but I think it just comes down to how much money you are spending in general rather than specifically being about transfer fees.

As for a striker, assuming that's where Mbappe slots in. Then they also have Endrick coming in as a young backup and I could see them keeping Joselu beyond this loan. He's maybe not the most glamourous player but that's perhaps what you want from a second/third-choice striker and with his height he brings something a bit different if you're looking for someone to bring on with 20 minutes remaining.

calistan

Gold Member
I don't think Mbappe being a "free" transfer means they can avoid FFP. His signing on fees and wages will still count towards that, someone who knows more about that stuff can correct me though, I know that the La Liga restrictions are tighter than elsewhere but I think it just comes down to how much money you are spending in general rather than specifically being about transfer fees.

As for a striker, assuming that's where Mbappe slots in. Then they also have Endrick coming in as a young backup and I could see them keeping Joselu beyond this loan. He's maybe not the most glamourous player but that's perhaps what you want from a second/third-choice striker and with his height he brings something a bit different if you're looking for someone to bring on with 20 minutes remaining.
The biggest clubs seem to find a way around those fair play rules. For this deal the signing-on fee plus salary is about €30m per year, which is a drop in the ocean for Real and obviously far below Mbappe's market value if he'd been under contract. There was a Saudi team that supposedly offered a €300m+ transfer fee for him last year.

Mbappe probably plays in his preferred position, so that leaves Vinicius without an obvious place in the team, unless he's able to move to the centre.

Top Bottom