• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve has changed the CS:GO lootbox mechanics specifically for France. Users from the country are required to use an "x-ray scanner", revealing the it

Release Notes for 9/30/2019

2019.09.30 -

[ FRANCE ]
– Introducing the X-ray Scanner for users in France:
— The X-ray Scanner allows users to reveal the item inside any container.
— Each user’s x-ray scanner comes preloaded with a one-time exclusive non-tradable item—the P250 | X-Ray.
— Users in France must first claim this item to use the x-ray scanner again.

In France, every container must first be placed into the X-ray Scanner to reveal the item inside before purchasing a key.

The X-ray Scanner will consume the container and reveal the item inside. To use the X-ray Scanner again, the revealed item must be claimed; it is not possible to scan another

Container without claiming the revealed item.

In France containers can no longer be purchased from Steam Community Market, but can still be sold.

R Raph64 won.

jshackles jshackles got shackled by the law.

Last edited:

Phase

We're... winning?

tenor.gif

zeorhymer

I guess I'm not understanding on how it works. So when you get a box, you have to scan it to be able to use a key to unlock. But it says you have to unlock the box first in order to use the scanner again? So did Valve just do a 'fuck you' to France?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wait, so if a gamer wants another lootbox, they have to buy the one the one that scanned before they can get another box?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Someone answer my question.

Ikr. How convoluted can they make it?
In fact it would be useful for the company to give preference to its customers, they should give them facilities and confidence. As CD Projekt Red.... this company are winning new costumers

But if they only profit, they lose more costumers.

Phase

In fact it would be useful for the company to give preference to its customers, they should give them facilities and confidence. As CD Projekt Red.... this company are winning new costumers

But if they only profit, they lose more costumers.
Whoops, didn't mean to include the "answer my question" part.

I agree with what you've said. I do think that companies need to scale back the loobox mechanic systems in favor of simpler things. It's almost a barrier of entry to their lootboxes at this point lol. Like I don't even want to "engage" with shit like this.

demigod

Wait, so if a gamer wants another lootbox, they have to buy the one the one that scanned before they can get another box?

Yep. This is shitty since you are still gambling on the item you want. You have to buy that box first and pray the next one is the one you want.

daveonezero

Banned
I very highly doubt it will be, but Valve is going to try their best to continue fucking people over.
Who is getting fucked? Tax collectors? Parents dumb enough to give their kids access to a credit card?
Players playing that never spend any money and don’t participate in loot boxes?

I’m sorry there is no fuckery going on. It was clear it is a grab bag and gamble. They aren’t forcing people to participate to play the game.

Last edited:
Hang on, what's stopping a user from just creating a new Steam profile, trading the next unscanned crate to the new profile, and scanning it? Surely there's some marketplace rule that prevents someone from doing this?

20cent

Banned
That's not how it works at all. Yes, you can only scan one item at once but...

You have to select the container first before you can scan it.
If you don't like the item in it, you can reject it and generate a new set of containers to select from. Again. And again. Until the item pleases you.

That's still better than the current way lootbox work.

With this and the (appealed by Valve) right for French users to resell their games on Steam... they'll probably consider leaving the french market.

Walledhouse

If what 20cent 20cent says is true, then this is a consumer win.

Otherwise, the way described sounds like a legal loophole by adding an extra step; muddying the analogy of buying something with random contents.

If what 20cent 20cent says is true, then this is a consumer win.

Otherwise, the way described sounds like a legal loophole by adding an extra step; muddying the analogy of buying something with random contents.
According to YT vids, it works exactly the way OP described. People are testing it by changing their Steam country settings to France.

Generic

If you don't like the item in it, you can reject it and generate a new set of containers to select from. Again. And again. Until the item pleases you.

With this and the (appealed by Valve) right for French users to resell their games on Steam... they'll probably consider leaving the french market.
This sounds awesome. Why are you guys against it? France is saving videogames.

demigod

Uhh no. You can reject the container but you cannot use the scanner again until you claim that container.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Well that's too bad. Looks like Steam being a consumer-friendly company is just a meme.
Because how they handle lootboxes France is the only possible way a company can be consumer-friendly. Consumer-friendly is an oxymoron when it comes to corporations. They make products and/or provide services. If they're worth your money and you can afford them you buy them. If not, then you don't.

Friendliness doesn't really factor in there anywhere unless you're trying to treat a corporation made up of many employees as a single entity of one mind and body.

Last edited:

xool

Good luck giving the middle finger to France, a republic literally founded by fucking lawyers.

[edit - well not sure anymore]

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Bullshit move.

I hope France hits back. And harder, so they learn not to try to go around the law to screw customers.

Fuz

Banned
I guess I'm not understanding on how it works. So when you get a box, you have to scan it to be able to use a key to unlock. But it says you have to unlock the box first in order to use the scanner again? So did Valve just do a 'fuck you' to France?
You chose to buy a lootbox. You can see what's inside before paying for it. If you don't accept it and pay, you can't get another lootbox.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Valve writing code faster then they ever have for anything in the past 10 years to protect loot boxes. Fucking cancer of a company. I don't think France/EU will cop it.

Last edited:

lyan

Who is getting fucked? Tax collectors? Parents dumb enough to give their kids access to a credit card?
Players playing that never spend any money and don’t participate in loot boxes?

I’m sorry there is no fuckery going on. It was clear it is a grab bag and gamble. They aren’t forcing people to participate to play the game.
Zoomers with no self control

brian0057

Banned
Zoomers with no self control
And when they choose to flush their money or their parent's money down the toilet by engaging with lootboxes, I should feel bad for them because...?
Let them get fucked by their ill-conceived life choices.
Nuking personal liberty and consumer choice just because some asshole somewhere might waste $1000 on some meaningless crap is the most baffling thing I've seen this generation.

Last edited:

lyan

And when they choose to flush their money or their parent's money down the toilet by engaging with lootboxes, I should feel bad for them because...?
Let them get fucked by their ill-conceived life choices.
Nuking personal liberty and consumer choice just because some asshole somewhere might waste $1000 on some meaningless crap is the most baffling thing I've seen this generation.
To clarify, I have no issue with them getting fucked over.

Helios

Just put the damn Item in the game and voila.

Lootbox my ass.
You can just buy them on the market if you don't want to deal with the RNG
Give it when the team wins a match and only that... simple...cést fini.
The game gets constant updates and is now free to play. They can't really just give those items away for free as they fund the development. That's not to say that Valve isn't making a shit ton of profit from this, but putting it out for free is impossible.

Generic

Because how they handle lootboxes France is the only possible way a company can be consumer-friendly. Consumer-friendly is an oxymoron when it comes to corporations. They make products and/or provide services. If they're worth your money and you can afford them you buy them. If not, then you don't.

Friendliness doesn't really factor in there anywhere unless you're trying to treat a corporation made up of many employees as a single entity of one mind and body.
Removing lootboxes and allowing the direct purchase of items would be far better.

Fbh

That just sounds like loot boxes with extra steps.

Now you know you are getting crap but you cant buy more crap until you buy the crap you already know you are getting, lol.

Top Bottom