• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vice: Why do people keep getting into fights at Chuck E. Cheese's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Cody

gmE4iDu.jpg

http://www.vice.com/read/why-do-people-keep-getting-in-to-fights-at-chuck-e-cheeses
Although their slogan is “Where a Kid Can Be a Kid,” Chuck E. Cheese's prepares kids for some of the greatest truths they’ll run into as adults: the addictive thrill of gambling, the drug rush of salt, sugar, and carbs, the economic shortfalls of a monopoly fixing both the means of production and the mode of distribution, and the crumbling disappointment of seeing grown adults beat each other with their fists at what is, essentially, a playground.

Just this Monday, Chicago police arrested two 21-year-olds after a fistfight in a Lincoln Park area Chuck E Cheese's. The argument began over prize tickets, which are literally worth their weight in paper, and ended with three people injured and one bleeding.

This is far from being an isolated incident.

Chuck E. Cheese's offers some of the most entertaining bare-knuckle brawls outside of the MMA. Shit, even the Romans didn’t let the young around gladiators. At Chuck E. Cheese's, it’s mostly the kids trying to break up the parents while doing their damndest to avoid injury, both physical and emotional.

Here’s a roundup of the nastiest fights at America’s second favorite mouse-themed recreational facility, rated from 1-10 for brutality, hilarity, and innocent bystanders.

The article has a rundown of some infamous Chuck E. Cheese altercations and then has a short interview with their director of corporate communications, Michelle Chism.

example said:
This one comes out of Memphis, Tennessee, where 18-year-old and pregnant (+2 points) Juaneka Key was taking photos at her two-year-old’s birthday party when another woman, exasperated by the long wait, asked, “Dang, how long are y’all gon be?” Then her stepfather punches the inquisitive girl in the face (+3 points). Juaneka, her mother, sister, stepfather, and boyfriend were arrested for inciting a riot, threatening police (+1 point), and marijuana possession (+1 point). Juaneka denied any involvement, saying, “If I’m pregnant, why imma fight?” 7/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgdyhe0OZXw

I've been aware of this phenomenon for a while. What say you GAF, why is Chuck E. Cheese a magnet for violence?

notworksafe

Because birthday parties always lead to groups of people that don't like each other be forced to be in each other's company (divorced parents, their family, maybe new SOs). Some people can't be adult enough to be around people they don't like without finding a reason to swing at someone.

Basically, grow up and act like adults for two hours for the sake of your kids.

SUPREME1

Banned
I stick to hosting get-togethers at my house. Be it a party, bbq, or sporting event. I fire up the grill, load up on good beer... and invite only people who I respect and know respect me. Loved ones as well (lol).

This way I know we can get shit faced and rowdy but won't end up in a fucking brawl with some random jackass.

Damaniel

Banned
Loud, bratty kids, plus a bunch of other loud noises, plus overpriced, crappy food and video/redemption games equals a disaster waiting to happen.

You couldn't pay me enough to go to one of those places. (It's not like that would ever be an issue though; as an adult, childless male, it's practically illegal for me to go there anyway...)

It's loud, too loud really. That in itself can irritate people. It's minimally supervised by staff. Too many misbehaved kids and parents that don't know how to manage conflict,

It's gotten better though. They've turned down the volume and slightly improved the food. The real trick is going at non peak times. Set your party for Sunday 11am and you generally have free run of the place.

It's loud, too loud really. That in itself can irritate people. It's minimally supervised by staff. Too many misbehaved kids and parents that don't know how to manage conflict,

It's gotten better though. They've turned down the volume and slightly improved the food. The real trick is going at non peak times. Set your party for Sunday 11am and you generally have free run of the place.

Hahaha, what? The weekend is birthday party time. By 11-12 is when the rush starts.

They got like, 24 oz beers, at least last time I went there. I ducked into one with a friend while he was couch shopping. During the day on a wed so it was dead.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I have to give it to Vice... they can make a report on a visit to CostCo to buy hamburger buns sound more harrowing than trying to fight off Somali pirate zombies while landing a 757 full of Sponge Bob pinatas in the Hudson River.

mackattk

Last Chuck E Cheese I went to was run down pretty badly, carpet was in desperate need of replacement, old arcade machines, many of them out of order, water damage to ceiling tiles, etc. These places feel like a relic from the 80's, and unfortunately, that look that way too.

Why do people keep getting into fights at Chuck E Cheese? Look at the clientele who goes there. I often feel sorry for those kids.

Good to know my parents were "slummy" and the "dregs of society" for taking me to these when I was a kid.

I had always assumed, oh, I don't fucking know, it was because it was fun for me and my brother and I always asked to go there.

But carry on, GAF.

Whatever Discovery Zone and the Little Ceasar's Place where better.

The only good thing about Chuck-e was the Ninja Turtles game with the ping-pong ball you drop. That shit was the bomb.

Cipherr

When I was little, it was Showbiz Pizza. And I never (thankfully) saw any fights or ridiculous behavior there. (Or maybe I didn't notice it because I was like 5?)

Oh well.

Why do people keep getting into fights at Chuck E Cheese? Look at the clientele who goes there. I often feel sorry for those kids.

Clientele, scummy?
What the fuck. Has Chuck E Cheese morphed that drastically over the '80s & early-mid '90s to be that bad?
Do people sell crack in the corners & the order counter started selling alcohol inside the place pr something?

shuri

Banned
Good to know my parents were "slummy" and the "dregs of society" for taking me to these when I was a kid.

I had always assumed, oh, I don't fucking know, it was because it was fun for me and my brother and I always asked to go there.

But carry on, GAF.

slum-shaming on gaf again. Hmm hmm!

Kazerei

Banned
Whoa, there are Chuck E. Cheese locations that serve alcohol? Huh. Well now I know where I'm going when I just want to kick back, get drunk, and let my hypothetical kids run wild.

It seems pretty simple to me. Most of the adults that are there have absolutely no desire to be, so they're already in a pretty shitty mood. It only takes a little bit of drama from there to start an altercation.

But carry on, GAF.

I'm sorry, I should have made it clear that I wasn't generalizing. I was taken there myself as a child after all.

IISANDERII

What say you GAF, why is Chuck E. Cheese a magnet for violence?
All those little kids running around and screaming makes you crazy.

prepares kids for some of the greatest truths they’ll run into as adults: the addictive thrill of gambling, the drug rush of salt, sugar, and carbs, the economic shortfalls of a monopoly fixing both the means of production and the mode of distribution
Heh, I like this.

Chuck E Cheese's is actually an allegory of Hell. Loudness, disorientation, food that tastes like cardboard, demons everywhere. Chuck is Lucifer himself.

Some locations do. At least beer and wine.

Whoa, there are Chuck E. Cheese locations that serve alcohol? Huh. Well now I know where I'm going when I just want to kick back, get drunk, and let my hypothetical kids run wild.

In Texas at least. The one we went to was well kept, in a nice area. It tripped me out they had booze. The limit was two per person but they were either 24 or 32 Ozers forgot which.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom