• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wartales | 1.0 Release Date Announcement | Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

From the creators of Evoland, Northgard and Dune Spice Wars comes
Wartales, an open world RPG in which you lead a group of mercenaries in
their search for wealth across a massive medieval universe. Explore the
world, recruit companions, collect bounties and unravel the secrets of the
tombs of the ancients.

Timestamps
00:00 Intro
00:56 Overview
02:05 Starting a Campaign
04:30 Progression & Gameplay Features
08:14 Story Scenarios
08:53 Combat
11:41 Knowledge & Paths
13:15 Wrap Up

• 🎮 The video is about "War Tales", an open world strategy RPG game where the player leads a group of mercenaries in their search for wealth and survival.
  • 🎭 Unlike typical RPG games, players do not play as a classic hero, but rather as a band of mercenaries that can take on contracts to gain money and experience.
  • 🗺️ The game takes place in a world that has become infested with bandits, mercenaries, and thieves, with the land being ravaged by the aftermath of a fallen Empire and a plague.
  • 🏹 The gameplay revolves around exploring and managing your band of mercenaries while dealing with local troubles and making sure your mercenaries' needs are met.
  • 🌍 The game has six different zones, and players can start in the first region and later advance to other regions.
  • 🤔 The game provides players with a variety of options to tailor the overall vibe and experience of the game. Players can pick a destiny, companions, starting options, combat difficulty, survival difficulty, and save mode.
  • 💀 Characters in the game can die in combat, and players must manage potentially a large amount of people while outfitting them appropriately.
  • 💰 Players can purchase equipment, take it from enemies, or craft it themselves.
  • ⚔️ Combat is turn-based and tactical, where players can choose to play aggressively, defensively, or use a combination of both.
  • 🎮 The video is a review of the game Wartales, an open world RPG.
  • 🔎 The video covers a thorough look at the gameplay, but there are still secrets, quests, and a large world to explore that weren't mentioned.
  • 📌 Viewers are encouraged to check out the links in the description to learn more about Wartales.
  • 🙏 The video creator thanks viewers for watching and hopes they have an amazing day.
The game is set in a world rife with bandits, mercenaries, and thieves, where the player must take care of their mercenaries and make sure they get paid while exploring the vast open world across six different zones. The game's unique approach to story and gameplay is that players don't play as a classic hero; instead, they play as a band of mercenaries traveling the land taking on contracts. The morality of this is up to the player.

Starting a New Game​

War Tales provides players with a variety of options to tailor the overall vibe and experience of the game. Players can find a happy medium between a game that is relatively easy or a much more punishing experience. At the beginning of a new playthrough, players pick a destiny and their initial band of mercenaries, which will determine some of their starting bonuses. They will also decide which region they want to start in, pick their combat and survival difficulty, and select their save mode. Finally, players can choose their exploration mode, which will decide whether or not the game will scale its levels to the player with adaptive exploration or have a more traditional system where each region has a set difficulty.

Managing Your Team​

Players must manage their team of mercenaries appropriately to outfit them for combat. Characters can die in combat, and players may have upwards of 20 characters participating in combat towards the later parts of the game. Players must also take care of their mercenaries' needs, such as survival options and making sure they get paid.

Combat​

The game's combat revolves around managing the mercenaries, and players must decide how to outfit their characters appropriately. Combat difficulty ranges from novice to expert. Novice is pretty forgiving, and experienced is good for players who have played these types of games before. Expert is for players who want a real challenge.

Conclusion​

War Tales provides an immersive and challenging open world experience where players must take on the role of a band of mercenaries just trying to survive. The game's unique approach to story and gameplay, coupled with the ability to tailor the game's experience, makes it a game worth playing.

Vaelka

What in the actual hell are these character models rofl? Did they just use the same body models as for male characters?
Fuck you if you want to play female characters I guess, they just look odd as hell this is not what women look like ...

07E92EBFA7F64A1BEF5BA85741A78AE4160EB620

Catphish

Picked this up today, put about 5 hours in. I've run 3 contracts so far and picked up a 5th companion.

I know it's early but, so far, this game is frickin awesome. Exactly what I was hoping for and, in some ways, what I didn't even know I wanted.

Open world, party-based, turn-based, medieval RPG with tactical combat and an addictive gameplay loop?

Dance Dancing GIF by Marc Leone

Catphish

Does it have a good story that you progress through or is it more a sandbox like experience?
I think it’s more sandbox. From what I’ve read, there’s some kind of individual narrative in each of the six zones that you have to clear, but I don’t think there’s any kind of grand overarching story.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I think it’s more sandbox. From what I’ve read, there’s some kind of individual narrative in each of the six zones that you have to clear, but I don’t think there’s any kind of grand overarching story.

Each zone has a narrative (first zone feels more about refugees and resolving the tension with the locales) that is tracked in this odd manner, but yo don't have to follow it. In my game we're working on getting strong enough to kill this bloke that's rampaging the countryside with a giant hammer and beating the shit out of folks. It is also the first fight that has felt like "Holy shit. . .we're gonna lose and lose badly."

. . .definitely more sandbox than anything else with some hilarious interactions (my horse was randomly selected to take the fall for all the stolen goods we had on us, which I guess makes sense as he WAS carrying the stuff).

Hrk69

I'm looking to jump in again

Anyone here tried the DLC's? Reviews on Steam are mid but I'm mostly reading complaints about bugs

xrnzaaas

I'm surprised how many people love this game. I gave it a chance thanks to Game Pass and spent xx hours with it to see what's what. The game doesn't have a proper story and it's more like resolving local conflicts, there's way too much copy-pasted content and the graphics/performance aren't good (I played the XSX version). I only truly enjoyed turn-based combat and exploring the map can be enjoyable (even if it's to uncover the same types of locations). That's definitely not enough.

Filben

How does this compare to Battle Brothers?
Similiar, but different. Wartales has more RPG character as there are professions your mercenaries can pick up, like smithing, cooking, thievery, etc. Combat isn't as brutal as in BB and a little bit less complex. Also, Wartales guides you a little bit more with a regional plot and corresponding quests.

Top Bottom