• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WayForward and Atari Metroidvania ‘Yars Rising’ Reveals New Gameplay Trailer

Via Noisy Pixel

Atari and WayForward have revealed a new gameplay trailer for their upcoming stealth-based metroidvania Yars Rising.

Yars Rising has players control protagonist Emi Kimura, a hacker hired by an unknown entity to infiltrate the Qotech corporation. Emi’s able to jump, blast, and stealth past enemies, with her powers revealing the more you progress. Augments and biohacks will grant passage to previously inaccessible areas.

This metroidvania also features hacking minigames that pay homage to the original Yars Revenge on the Atari 2600. Other gameplay mechanics feature fight scenes and turn-based battles.

WayForward Director James Montagna said the following:​
“With Yars Rising, we set out to honor one of Atari’s most enduring franchises, while creating some new rules and breaking old ones, just like Yars’ Revenge did. We’re delighted to unveil the first look at gameplay, introducing fans to Emi and teasing what’s in store when it releases later this year.”​

Wade Rosen, Chairman and CEO of Atari, said the following:​
“Since the day I joined Atari, creating a new Yars game has been a dream of mine. I’m thrilled that we had the opportunity to collaborate with WayForward, one of my favorite studios, on this ambitious project. The new story that Wayforward has created for Yars Rising is going to excite fans and introduce a new generation to the Yars universe through WayForward’s unique creative lens.”​

Yars Rising will be released for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC in late 2024. The first demo is part of Steam Next Fest until June 17, 2024.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
AT2600-Yars%27-Revenge-large-image.jpg

This + Kangaroo were the first video games I ever bought with my own money. I picked it purely based on the cool cover art.

Weird choice to revive this IP as a animu budget Metroidvania… hope it’s good!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I mean... it looks like a Wayforward game and sounds like a Wayforward game, so I'm in. I generally really like their stuff.

ReBurn

Gold Member
AT2600-Yars%27-Revenge-large-image.jpg

This + Kangaroo were the first video games I ever bought with my own money. I picked it purely based on the cool cover art.

Weird choice to revive this IP as a animu budget Metroidvania… hope it’s good!
They revived Yars with the Recharged game. Yars Recharged is probably my favorite of the Recharged series of games. Makes sense to me that they would want to lean into it a bit more.

tkscz

Wayforward has always made solid games but man am I getting tired of anime girl protagonist from them. Also Yars as a Metroidvania and not Adventure? Or was Adventure by Activision?

That trailer gave me seizures, how about showing more than a second of gameplay at a time before changing scene and showing something flashing? Seems kind of cool though!

Last edited:

El Muerto

I will get this. Some of these Atari reboots are fun. I recommend Haunted House. They rebooted it into a souls like and it's pretty damn fun. Plays great on the steam deck.
Oqnv3W0.png

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
They revived Yars with the Recharged game. Yars Recharged is probably my favorite of the Recharged series of games. Makes sense to me that they would want to lean into it a bit more.
cool, somehow I missed this but it looks like something I’d enjoy. Just wish listed it

Holammer

Not a fan of Wayforward's art direction. It's too clean and gives me the heebie-jeebies, even if the sprites are 3D it look like the usual clean vectors.
2.5D is also my Death=Adder Nemesis.

Top Bottom