• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We have Returnal at home: Project Tower coming Q3 2024, demo is live on Steam

Bartski

Gold Member

welcome.png

GIF_01_1_.gif

Project Tower is a Third-Person Shooter that melds intense bullet hell combat with a unique morphing mechanic.
In a universe threatened by the Hiks, survivors of humanity are prisoners forced to fight in towers as part of Project Tower. You play as one of these inmates, aiming to reach the top to regain your freedom.

innovative.png

GIF_02_min.gif

Be smarter than them. Metamorphose yourself to better surprise your enemies. Use this unique mechanic to get out of all sorts of situations.

dynamic.png

GIF_03_min.gif

In this shooter, take part in visceral combat that will engage all of your senses. Adapt your playstyle with new weapons. Rise up from floor to floor. Hone your skills to reach the top. Get the taste of freedom back. Whatever the cost, climb.

puzzle.png

GIF_04_min.gif

Explore the different floors of the tower, face hordes of fearsome enemies, solve complex puzzles and use your arsenal to unlock the secrets of the tower and regain your freedom.

Take part in the adventure. Immerse yourself in this new universe. Will you be ready to take up the challenges of the tower?

Game Features​

• An exciting Third Player Shooter. Play a game that is both dynamic and satisfying. Game sensations are a priority. Sharpen your senses to overcome your enemies.
  • An innovative metamorphosis mechanic that multiplies the possibilities of gameplay.
  • A rich universe. Discover the secrets of this tower and regain your freedom!
  • Unlock new weapons and skills. Tame alien technologies to achieve your goals.
  • Cutscenes in sequence shot for a perfect immersion.

Last edited:

Hugare

With time, people will appreciate Returnal more and more

By far the most creative and amazing new AAA IP this gen. There's nothing quite like it out there.

This looks heavily inspired, but also very generic and unpolished.

I would love seeing one of those korean developers that are appearing out of nowhere to make a polished clone like Lies of P was to Bloodborne.

Shwing

Uninstalled after only 6 minutes.
Controller navigation on main menu is bugged - can't change Y axis to inverted as neither controller or keyboard will move switch.
Can't see any resolution settings.
I'm sorry, but I've better things to do with my time than wade through this crap.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
What's the point in all these needless animal transformations? As for the rest of the game, well, it's clear as day that they're trying to make their own Returnal and even though with a bit more work the boss fights can be better, the overall look and feel of the game just looks like an empty and soulless concept of something much better the devs simply can't make.

Last edited:

thief183

The demo is so and so, I like it but a game like this should be played with m and k, it feels so clunky with a controller, the world is cool tho

By far the most creative and amazing new AAA IP this gen. There's nothing quite like it out there.

This looks heavily inspired, but also very generic and unpolished.

I would love seeing one of those korean developers that are appearing out of nowhere to make a polished clone like Lies of P was to Bloodborne.

I had to eat my words, I really didn't have an interest in Returnal at first due to my hatred of roguelikes and how inflexible Housemarque was at first with not allowing you to resume a run. I ended up trying to because I subbed to PS+ Extra, and ended up really loving the game. Very few games nail the action and combat, plus the unique way it tells its story and melds it with gameplay. I still hate roguelikes, but Returnal is fantastic and depending on how Housemarque delivers in the future, I see people looking back very favorably. Much like how Metroid wasn't a huge franchise until much later in its lifespan.

With all that said, I don't think the world needs more me-too clones that change up one or two things but reuse the entire premise. Would it have killed them to make this game in a different setting? When they make it look and play so similarly, it's hard to take seriously.

CamHostage

With all that said, I don't think the world needs more me-too clones that change up one or two things but reuse the entire premise. Would it have killed them to make this game in a different setting? When they make it look and play so similarly, it's hard to take seriously.

Eh, but derivatives make a genre, and gaming could do a lot worse than to have some corner of the market filled with Returnal'likes.

Similar to Soulslikes, there's a lot of shameless crap (and it's not like the Souls games have been so slow in coming that we're starved for anything like it, although it has been 8 years since DS3 and Miyazaki hasn't deputized anybody else to carry on that brand while he expands his palette in Sekiro and Elden Ring,) but we've gotten some very enjoyable gameplay and some diverse concepts among all the clone games.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Speaks volumes on the impact of Returnal.
Sadly though, it won't impact anything at Nintendo and we won't see 3rd person Metroid game with similar gameplay (not a rogulike) and gunplay, which I think is where the series needs to go beyond Prime series and 1st person perspective if done right.

Eh, but derivatives make a genre, and gaming could do a lot worse than to have some corner of the market filled with Returnal'likes.

Similar to Soulslikes, there's a lot of shameless crap (and it's not like the Souls games have been so slow in coming that we're starved for anything like it, although it has been 8 years since DS3 and Miyazaki hasn't deputized anybody else to carry on that brand while he expands his palette in Sekiro and Elden Ring,) but we've gotten some very enjoyable gameplay and some diverse concepts among all the clone games.

I wouldn't mind if they did them like Castlevania or Hollow Knight. Even Axiom Verge made itself feel more unique, and you could tell right away that it was not simply a Metroid clone. When you take a game's premise, setting, and feel, you are basically recreating the same game with a couple tweaks thrown in. These rarely end well.

CamHostage

I wouldn't mind if they did them like Castlevania or Hollow Knight. Even Axiom Verge made itself feel more unique, and you could tell right away that it was not simply a Metroid clone. When you take a game's premise, setting, and feel, you are basically recreating the same game with a couple tweaks thrown in. These rarely end well.

Rarely end well, sure, but they have to start somewhere...

There have been Castlevania clones all along its history (well, maybe not C64 or PS2 clones, but games have taken stuff from the series over its reign,) some were good and most were forgotten.

I think the idea of there being bullethell third-person-shooters will eventually be a good thing beyond Returnal. We'll see if anybody has ideas beyond what Housemarque created (this I agree is incredibly derivative, and seeing this makes me question what a clone could bring which would stand out, especially since it also seems slower and clumsier to control but without new ideas to bring to the table,) but there could be some new ground to find there.

Rarely end well, sure, but they have to start somewhere...

There have been Castlevania clones all along its history (well, maybe not C64 or PS2 clones, but games have taken stuff from the series over its reign,) some were good and most were forgotten.

I think the idea of there being bullethell third-person-shooters will eventually be a good thing beyond Returnal. We'll see if anybody has ideas beyond what Housemarque created (this I agree is incredibly derivative, and seeing this makes me question what a clone could bring which would stand out, especially since it also seems slower and clumsier to control but without new ideas to bring to the table,) but there could be some new ground to find there.

I'd welcome more games in the genre given they are unique. NieR Automata mech parts did it pretty well and had its own vibe.

Hohenheim

By far the most creative and amazing new AAA IP this gen. There's nothing quite like it out there
Couldn't agree more.
I'm replaying Returnal on my PC now. One of my favourite games of all time.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So looks like a French developer that cut their teeth on mobile games, and is now trying their hand at a “regular” game.

I’m down with it, although those alien things you can morph into look dumb. Your artists can surely come up with something cooler looking.

BlackTron

Gold Member
I like it being about just reaching the top of a tower, like some NES game lol. Hey I'll take it over open world right now

Top Bottom