• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What’s the difference between Apple Intelligence vs Microsoft Recall?

peish

Gold Member
Explain to us the uninitiated tech boomers

Seems the same, both snitching at what you are doing on your devices?

Only Apple claims their apple silicon security enclave is strong and harder for malware to hack? Should I trust Tim Apple enough to turn on Apple Intelligence™

Jinzo Prime

Should I trust Tim Apple enough to turn on Apple Intelligence™
That's up to you. At the very least Apple says they have outside verification of their privacy claims. Although this AI thing is why I'm looking to open source solutions for my computing needs.

kikkis

Gold Member
Dont trust any of these dirtbags. All they care is selling your data.
MS is open to it, while the other is doing it behind the doors.
The multi billion business opportunity to sell your data to third parties. Here's a snippet from my search history that earned Google big bucks: "anal sex videos", "how to avoid taxes", "Scarlett Johansson tits", "Sony where at the games"

feynoob

how to avoid taxes
DjZSzU9V4AAVUAi.jpg

peish

Gold Member
Yeah, but it’s not about recalling your old information.

Apple Intelligence vs Chat GPT would be more accurate, no?

I don’t think so. Apple Intelligence seems to work similarly more to Recall in that its supposedly “monitors” your habits and uses the archived data to give relevant assistance

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Dont trust any of these dirtbags. All they care is selling your data.
MS is open to it, while the other is doing it behind the doors.
That’s not exactly the case. For better or worse Apple was one of the firsts to pivot to privacy. What followed was severely curtailing Facebook on iOS, asking the users if they want to be tracked by the apps, etc.
Is Apple motivated by monetary gain? Of course. But credit to them they took the side of the users here.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I don’t think so. Apple Intelligence seems to work similarly more to Recall in that its supposedly “monitors” your habits and uses the archived data to give relevant assistance
I must have missed that aspect when browsing earlier.

Just read this though which sounds pretty good.
Looks like everything is kept local.
Apple Intelligence is designed to protect your privacy at every step. It’s integrated into the core of your iPhone, iPad, and Mac through on-device processing. So it’s aware of your personal information without collecting your personal information. And with groundbreaking Private Cloud Compute, Apple Intelligence can draw on larger server-based models, running on Apple silicon, to handle more complex requests for you while protecting your privacy.

SJRB

Gold Member
Well for starters it took researchers like two days to breach Recall and leak its entire content online. Recall is literally an endless stream of screenshots with zero security or protection. Personal info, passwords, sensitive information is all stored unfiltered and as it turns out quite easy to grab. It’s a security nightmare and the worst part is Microsoft knows this but doesn’t give a fuck. You can’t entrust a company like that with your personal data.

Apple’s entire ecosystem revolves around user privacy and security. It’s not perfect but at the very least it is orders of magnitude more secure.

Last edited:
It's a huge bet on their security chops, imo. I stay within Apple's ecosystem because they are the one I trust the most with my data. They can't screw this up...

feynoob

That’s not exactly the case. For better or worse Apple was one of the firsts to pivot to privacy. What followed was severely curtailing Facebook on iOS, asking the users if they want to be tracked by the apps, etc.
Is Apple motivated by monetary gain? Of course. But credit to them they took the side of the users here.
Just because they are protecting your privacy, doesn't mean they aren't using your data.

You are a valuable product to them. Why do you think they want you to use apple applications, instead of 3rd parties? To sell you their products and not use other 3rd party products.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Apple's not perfect, but they've proven themselves 1000 fold over Microsoft/Google/Amazon/etc.. as far as prioritizing user privacy goes.

Apple's the one platform holder that doesn't rely on user tracking and ad revenue as their primary source of earnings.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Recall is just Microsoft tracking everything you do and sending it to the NSA. Apples stuff is more analogous to MS Copilot. But it seems to be, as usual a much better and more thorough implementation with almost certainly superior privacy and tracking settingsz

diffusionx

Gold Member
Apple's the one platform holder that doesn't rely on user tracking and ad revenue as their primary source of earnings.
MS doesn't HAVE to rely on that stuff, but they choose to. It's quite disappointing really. They could be a much better company, and should be - but this is something you could say about them since the 1980s, lol.

Sakura

I don't think Apple is taking screenshots of everything you are doing, which is what people seem to have a problem with regarding recall.

Melon Husk

Microsoft has Recall: a gimmick stapled on to Win 11. A feature which has been available with third party apps. Bing chat is an ugly sidebar that pops out where you can type questions for ChatGPT. Microsoft's implementations are clunky and at worst anti-productive.

vs.

Apple has stellar execution and integration of useful features in native apps. These features are well thought out and integrate easily into workflows.

What's the difference between a Windows tablet and an Ipad? Same thing.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Microsoft has Recall: a gimmick stapled on to Win 11. A feature which has been available with third party apps. Bing chat is an ugly sidebar that pops out where you can type questions for ChatGPT. Microsoft's implementations are clunky and at worst anti-productive.

vs.

Apple has stellar execution and integration of useful features in native apps. These features are well thought out and integrate easily into workflows.

What's the difference between a Windows tablet and an Ipad? Same thing.

Both seem to handle their AI push in broadly similar ways. Both use the NPUs for on-device AI tasks and both offload more detailed stuff to cloud servers. None is any more ‘gimmicky’ than the other.

Explain to us the uninitiated tech boomers

Seems the same, both snitching at what you are doing on your devices?

Only Apple claims their apple silicon security enclave is strong and harder for malware to hack? Should I trust Tim Apple enough to turn on Apple Intelligence™
1. Apple doesn’t actively give out your info upon request.
2. Apple doesn’t record what you do.
3. Apple tries to do stuff on device.

the difference is apple is better at convincing you that it values your privacy. It collects just as much data. Apples just plays the long game with its eco system. Once you are in, they own you for life.

Wildebeest

Apple fans yesterday: I hate OpenAI. ChatGPT is literally ruining everything with its LLMs.
Apple fans today: Wow, ChatGPT integration in my OS? Apple are so cool and creative, they can literally fix the user experience for anything! I'm so smart, sexy and intellectually superior for waiting for Apple's in house solution to generative AI.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Apple fans yesterday: I hate OpenAI. ChatGPT is literally ruining everything with its LLMs.
Apple fans today: Wow, ChatGPT integration in my OS? Apple are so cool and creative, they can literally fix the user experience for anything! I'm so smart, sexy and intellectually superior for waiting for Apple's in house solution to generative AI.

Nah.

Trilobit

Gold Member
What I've really liked about ChatGPT and its voice functions is how flawlessly it works in languages besides American and British English. I've tried both Finnish and Swedish with it and it performs crazy good.

I've never felt at ease using my native tongue extensively with either Google Assistant or Siri. Sometimes you can only use certain commands if you speak English. ChatGPT also actually understands what I'm talking about and it's almost like having a conversation. GA and Siri are archaic in comparison.

I really hope that AI gets fully integrated into the OS some day as it means we have taken big leaps into the future.

Top Bottom