• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best Castlevania sub-weapon?

What's the best sub-weapon?

• Watch

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Dagger

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Axe

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Fire Bomb

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Boomerang

Votes: 36 50.7%

• Total voters

BossLackey

Gold Member
I'm replaying the series and curious what GAF's favorite sub-weapon is. Legit could be any of them I think.

These are strictly the 'Classicvania' sub-weapons.

Everything is viable, though I personally don't like the boomerang outside of crowd control situations.

These obviously depend on the iteration of Castlevania you're thinking of. The holy water (fire bomb) for example sucks in the first 4 games for mobs, but it's range extends later and does a sweeping motion that's awesome.

I'm aware that the names of these items have changed many times and everyone uses different ones, but I'm going with the Super Castlevania IV manual here.

Fdeem5G.png

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I like the boomerang/cross. Can't you get multiple hits if you throw it at the exact distance where it would stop where the enemy is?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Stopwatch is useful for keeping Medusa Heads in one spot.

Then the Cross for the multi-hit. Lol calling it boomerang.

Holy Water in later entries for multi hit.

Axe and Dagger are more niche in use.

Zannegan

Gold Member
I always thought the boomerang was a cross the Bellmonts just got creative with. And I could have sworn the jar was holy water. That's what I get for not reading the item descriptions I suppose.

The "cross" was always my fav across games though.

kunonabi

Yeah, it depends on the game. I'm classic kind of guy so naturally the cross and holy water appeal to me but man the axe is so satisfying to throw. It's even better in Smash.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Yeah, it depends on the game. I'm classic kind of guy so naturally the cross and holy water appeal to me but man the axe is so satisfying to throw. It's even better in Smash.

I think the axe is my "favorite" to use, just not the best. Though there are absolutely situations where it comes it absolutely clutch.

It's verticality alone lends it utility that the others just don't have.

Švejk

It would be the watch, if it worked on bosses and didn't sap your hearts so hard.. Otherwise, it's definitely the cross/boomerang.

Boomerang with Triple Shot is god-tier. Castlevania 1, Medusa dead in 5 seconds. (Super Castlevania IV, Medusa dead before she evens fully enters the screen.) CV1 Mummies, obliterated. CV1 Death, I've never beaten him without Boomerang x 3. CV1 Dracula, best chance on both forms plus you get a good chance at double hit if you let it go the full length of the screen both ways.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Boomerang with Triple Shot is god-tier. Castlevania 1, Medusa dead in 5 seconds. (Super Castlevania IV, Medusa dead before she evens fully enters the screen.) CV1 Mummies, obliterated. CV1 Death, I've never beaten him without Boomerang x 3. CV1 Dracula, best chance on both forms plus you get a good chance at double hit if you let it go the full length of the screen both ways.

Yeah, if we're getting double and tripleshot involved, boomerang is pretty insane.

Dorago

Axe can go through ceilings and floors. Aguena from SotN is my personal favorite, and I keep equipped it despite its limited utility. A dark horse is Richter's knife item crash from Dracula X.

SkylineRKR

They all have their uses. Axe can use enemies above you. Multiple enemies that is. Boomerang is multi hit, but slow and straight and the range isn't far. Knife is fast, reaches full screen but only for enemies directly in front of you. Stopwatch is clutch if you need to climb yet another clocktower full of medusa heads. Holy water is great vs stationary targets and big enemies.

I think I prefered the Axe always. Since it basically hits the most annoying enemies, which are the ones from above.

poodaddy

Gold Member
It's cross as the 1st, holy water 2nd.

Boomerang I kind of understand, but fire bomb? For a jar of liquid? I would have awarded pity points for Molotov cocktails, but firebomb?
Glasses No GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

Top Bottom