• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game has had the best redemption? (Choose two options)

Best comeback

• Total voters

Yonyx

Banned
Edit: You can vote for two games.

Please, vote only for games you have played. For example, I've never played Final Fantasy XIV, and I only spent about two hours with No Man's Sky.

Of the ones I've played, the best comeback for me, the one I've noticed the most significant improvement has been Cyberpunk 2077. The other game that impressed me with how they resolved all of its launch issues and how they kept adding content was Driveclub.

Last edited:

TexMex

Either 14 or 2077.

Did you mean a different Battlefield? I don’t remember a lot of grief over 4. Played the hell out of it for PS4’s launch.

Topher

Gold Member
I read an article about this a little while ago. Kismet.

I'm thinking No Man's Sky

Yeah, I'm thinking the same. That crew could have easily gone into hiding after they were rightfully raked over the coals as a result of the game's launch. I'm not even that big a fan of the game, but I've been impressed how they have humbly worked their butts off to regain people's trust.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Yeah, I'm thinking the same. That crew could have esaily gone into hiding after they were rightfully raked over the coals as a result of the game's launch. I'm not even that big a fan of the game, but I've been impressed how they have humbly worked their butts off to regain people's trust.
I bought it day 1 and I still play from time to time. I'm glad they kept up with it.

Yonyx

Banned
I read an article about this a little while ago. Kismet.

I'm thinking No Man's Sky
I forgot Sea of Theaves, I included now. I'm debating whether to add Assassin's Creed Unity and Fallout New Vegas.

Edit: Another interesting choice is Driveclub... In fact, I'm going to vote for Driveclub as well.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Really difficult poll to vote with only one choice.

NMS was barebone at the beginning and we were kind of lied to with features that were not there. But, it was low budget and I indy from the start. For this reason the pill was somehow easier to swallow.

I'll vote ff14. They went from almost a complete failure, to one of the finest MMO around. Fallout 76 was miserable at launch, but FF14 is such a massive game. A realm reborn immediately grabbed our interest and managed to keep a loyal and friendly community.

Square handled a disaster and made something incredible out of it.

Yonyx

Banned
Either 14 or 2077.

Did you mean a different Battlefield? I don’t remember a lot of grief over 4. Played the hell out of it for PS4’s launch.
I finished its campaign back in the day and haven't touched it since, but Battlefield 4 always gets mentioned in these kinds of lists. The game had corrupted save files and a lot of crashes at launch. They say they eventually sorted it out without any technical issues.

Durin

Neo Member
No Man's Sky or FF14, can't be anything else.

No Man's Sky would probably still win just because it came back not just in a huge way like FF14, but they're been doiny only free updates that add more value to the game years later to today to redeem it.

TexMex

I finished its campaign back in the day and haven't touched it since, but Battlefield 4 always gets mentioned in these kinds of lists. The game had corrupted save files and a lot of crashes at launch. They say they eventually sorted it out without any technical issues.
Never touched the campaign, but never remember anything wrong with multiplayer even on launch day. Regardless if BF gets mentioned in these scenarios, I think we can all agree 2042 is what takes the crown. By a mile.

CamHostage

Fun topic, we still don't really think of games as being capable of turning around a bad early go but there's a bunch which did it.

My vote was for Fortnite; I remember when it came out, thinking, "Wow, I could never have imagined that an Epic game could fail," but nobody was talking about that game and nothing was working about its aspirations for a while. Then they got into the Battle Royale trend, and suddenly the flop turned into the freaking Death Star.

Reason for it to not be Fortnite though is that it didn't really redeem itself in the hearts of gamers who initially hated it, unlike say NMS or CyberPunk or FFXVI; it just gained a shitload of new hearts to replace them.

Corian33

2077 for sure. Such a mess on release and now it’s absolutely awesome. Playing through it now and it’s so impressive how they realized their vision. One of the few RPGs where every quest feels natural, like a thing my character might actually do in this world.

clarky

Gold Member
2077 was never that bad on PC. Sure it had some issues but my experience was pretty solid.

I voted Destiny 2, wow did they shit the bed on release there. It took until Warmind then Forsaken to turn things around. That said its gone back in the shitter just now, maybe they can turn things around again lol?

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
NMS is the poster child for redemption. No other game had that much mainstream TV coverage only to fall flat on release. They flew way too close to the sun there. It fell farther than anything before and they haven't stopped working on it since. 7+ years of free updates and they're still going.

The only other real contender I'm aware of is Cyberpunk, which had an even worse crash and burn situation with it actually being pulled from sale on PS4. Not even NMS can say that. I'm told it has come a long way and is a decent game now, and one day I'll get round to it.

FO76's recent attention thanks to the TV show has made people take a look at it again after so long, and it has been a quiet redemption they have apparently pulled it off. I've yet to play it for myself.

Banjo64

cumsessed
NMS first, Siege second.

Cyberpunk and Sea of Thieves next.

Why’s Fortnite here? Because of the pivot from Save the World?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
No Man's Sky for sure

Indie dev team with almost no experience wants to make a super big game. Sony invests on it. Game is launched at hurry because the community and Sony itself pushes it. Initial release is garbage

By the months passing, game changes a whole lot and has everything and more fixed. Community embraced and everyone is happy now

I could say Cyberpunk, but CDPR launched way too many games in that stage before. They have a direction problem and don't really care about it

Worth mentioning: Capcom itself. Basically the whole PS360 generation was garbage decisions. PS4 and XOne they fixed real good and are still doing great

Imma gonna go with Cyberpunk.

Other games had the basics in place, with more time and budget, they were fixed.

Cyberpunk resulted in a new team for company that can make games like these, so CDPR is now a much better studio now.

GymWolf

Why is unity on that list? Did it ever made a comeback?

From what i played on that list it's probably cyberpunk, but tbh i liked version 1.0 well enough at launch.

Last edited:

XXL

Why is unity on that list? Did it ever made a comeback?

From what i played on that list it's probably cyberpunk, but tbh i liked version 1.0 well enough at launch.
AC Unity on PC is really fucking good.

I'm not a huge fan of any of the other AC games (Black Flag is good too), but Unity is legitimately a great game, even from a technical perspective.

Gave my second vote to AC: Unity. After all the fixes, it turned out to be one of the best AC games overall. I wish they would make another one like it.
my man denzel GIF

It's kind of sad, because they were actually trying with that game and it shows. In alot of ways it's much more impressive than a bunch of current gen games.

Out of the games I've played this year, the PC versions of AC Unity and Max Payne 3 really surprised me and I would highly recommend both of them to everyone.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
No Man's Sky.

Cyberpunk was a buggy mess, but the game was there. The 2.0 changes made it a better game, but not "suddenly a good game". No Man's Sky launched as a total pile of shit and got better every year.

GymWolf

AC Unity on PC is really fucking good.

I'm not a huge fan of any of the other AC games (Black Flag is good too), but Unity is legitimately a great game, even from a technical perspective.

my man denzel GIF

It's kind of sad, because they were actually trying with that game and it shows. In alot of ways it's much more impressive than a bunch of current gen games.

Out of the games I've played this year, the PC versions of AC Unity and Max Payne 3 really surprised me and I would highly recommend both of them to everyone.
I only played the game on pc and other than the graphic it was yet another average ac game with terrible combat (and i'm a combat dude so if you fail that i can't be that positive about your game).
Yes you had a lot of npcs all at once but they were brain dead.
Story and characters were the usual ubisoft unremarkable slob.

The parkour system was interesting but other than that...

Last edited:

XXL

No Man's Sky.

Cyberpunk was a buggy mess, but the game was there. The 2.0 changes made it a better game, but not "suddenly a good game". No Man's Sky launched as a total pile of shit and got better every year.
No Mans Sky VR is next fucking level and most people have no idea.

Cyberpunk and No Mans Sky by a mile. They were absolutely obliterated by the media and now are in such a good state, used as comparisson for other games and the RedEngine, which will get swapped out for UE5 for Witcher 4 and next CP, people are now complaining its going to go away considering how well people tune the engine now.

XXL

I only played the game on pc and other than the graphic it was yet another average ac game with terrible combat (and i'm a combat dude so if you fail that i can't be that positive about your game).
Yes you had a lot of npcs all at once but they were brain dead.
Story and characters were the usual ubisoft unremarkable slob.

The parkour system was interesting but other than that...
It's all good. We can agree to disagree.

Honestly, I'm too sick to write out all the things I think it does well. Lol.

SHA

Dragon Ball, unlike detectives in crime scenes, Goku will eventually prevent that from happening and even if he act it's too late for drama chill purposes, the idea of using dragon balls will pop up in his head in a very strange way like drugs, Anime, drugs, what's the difference?

Yonyx

Banned
Never touched the campaign, but never remember anything wrong with multiplayer even on launch day. Regardless if BF gets mentioned in these scenarios, I think we can all agree 2042 is what takes the crown. By a mile.
But I don't think Battlefield 2042 had any redemption arc, to be honest.

MiguelItUp

No Man Sky and FF14 for sure. Both games completely bombed and stalled, but then came back and kept going. Very amazing "phoenix from the ashes"-like scenarios.

CP2077 would've been my third choice.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
BF4 got a lot of flack at launch, on PC at least. They turned it around really quick though, which is probably why people don't even remember a redemption arc. Also the problems were minor compared to today's shit shows.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
NMS and FF14, with Cyberpunk right behind them.

Those 2 games should not be doing as well as they are today. But here we are. Good for them.

Yonyx

Banned
Why is New Vegas on there? It’s still a broken piece of shit on consoles lol
So it has more votes than 8 other games. The PC version also exists, and if you don't like that people vote for that game... you vote for different games and that's it.

New Vegas at its launch, in general, was nowhere near as revered as it is now.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
New Vegas at its launch, in general, was nowhere near as revered as it is now.

Yeah it was, bugs and brokenness and all

The game had no redemptive arc. It’s always been considered the best of the bunch despite its massive technical flaws.

Yonyx

Banned
Yeah it was, bugs and brokenness and all

The game had no redemptive arc. It’s always been considered the best of the bunch despite its massive technical flaws.
It wasn't as revered at launch as it is now. It had its fair share of negative user reviews at launch, and press reviews were good but well below the scores of Fallout 3 and even 4, which came out later.

Nowadays, both critics and users agree that New Vegas is better than Fallout 3 and 4. That was far from clear a decade ago.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There's a lot of good candidates there, wish the poll allowed making more than 2 choices.

elhav

Cyberpunk turned from an unplayable disaster into one of the most fun open world games of this generation, so it gets my pick

Can’t believe more people didn’t pick Battlefield 4. Game was straight up broken and crashing consoles left and right for a month after launch. Then it became the last good battlefield.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
FF14 had the biggest turnaround.

CP2077 was buggy but the core game was basically the same, so the "Redemption" isn't anywhere near as large as FF14

Garibaldi

I went for NMS and FF14. I largely missed the Cyberpunk issues as I got it on PC where it was amazing.

For me it's probably FF14 as they basically rebuilt the whole game around the failure.

Top Bottom