• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is the music for Ninja Gaiden I-III (NES) so good?

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
The OSTs for Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden II for the NES were balls out awesome. Some of the best game music to ever come out of the 8 bit era, period.

I think Ninja Gaiden III's OST was competent, but not nearly as tight as the previous two.

And Ninja Gaiden as a series deserves every accolade it gets. One of the great franchises. Always challenging, always fun.

Only the anime was bad.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
A lot of people really can't grasp how insane Ninja Gaiden 1 actually was. It had music better than anything Uematsu did on NES. Like, A LOT better. It had cinematics better than anything Final Fantasy accomplished on NES or SNES. It was that ahead of its time. Oh and it's one of the best action games of the time period as well.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
A lot of people really can't grasp how insane Ninja Gaiden 1 actually was. It had music better than anything Uematsu did on NES. Like, A LOT better. It had cinematics better than anything Final Fantasy accomplished on NES or SNES. It was that ahead of its time. Oh and it's one of the best action games of the time period as well.
It was awesome but let’s not go overboard here.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Nothing about that is overboard. That's what I'm trying to get across. People just can't handle how ahead of its time it actually was. Nothing I said is exaggerating. The cinematics are still incredible today, and they were done on an NES. No one listens to Final Fantasy OSTs from the NES at all today or talks about them. Uematsu's 1st great OST was FFIV. And this is from an action game. It's insane.

Last edited:
Holy shit, I LOVE the drums in the Ninja Gaiden 2 OST. They are really lively.

I skipped around the videos, and liked everything I heard beyond the drums too.

I never heard Ninja Gaiden music from that era.

(Battling Precausiously is great!)

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Some games came with extra sounds on their cartridges, like Super C, which allowed them to make very cool stuff.

Wonder if the Ninja Gaiden games are amongst those.

IAmRei

I think it was for a lot of people. Contra as well.

At least one of these guys is in Hella also.

these one, the intro part 2 especially, Konami opens my brain into heavy metal after i heard the song.

this medley is the cumulative of them. very strong

but yes, my first ninja gaiden is NG2,
which the intro itself also open my interest to metals

Last edited:

Rran

Nothing about that is overboard. That's what I'm trying to get across. People just can't handle how ahead of its time it actually was. Nothing I said is exaggerating. The cinematics are still incredible today, and they were done on an NES. No one listens to Final Fantasy OSTs from the NES at all today or talks about them. Uematsu's 1st great OST was FFIV. And this is from an action game. It's insane.
FF2 and 3 weren't part of western gamers' childhoods etc but they have pretty great soundtracks in their own right, especially 3. NG has a strong OST as well.

Hudo

Gold Member
It had music better than anything Uematsu did on NES. Like, A LOT better.
Do you mean on a technical level? If so, shouldn't he more apt comparison be to Konami's Castlevania games since these used a special additional chip? At least the Japanese version of Castlevania III did.

Do you mean on a compositional level? I am not sure I would agree here...

Do you mean on a technical level? If so, shouldn't he more apt comparison be to Konami's Castlevania games since these used a special additional chip? At least the Japanese version of Castlevania III did.

Do you mean on a compositional level? I am not sure I would agree here...

Tecmo, Sunsoft and Konami were all S tier when it came to Famicom/NES music. The latter two did have special chips in a few of their games. All 3 knew how to use the special sample channel to get all those awesome beats.

INC

Gold Member
You're saying that as someone in 2024 looking back at the NES as "limited". When in fact it wasn't limited at the time at all. It was cutting edge.
Also ninja gaiden style games are a dime a dozen on the NES.

The soundtrack /midi was limited

Hence my statement

All nes games were, most of mario sound fx are just the music sped up extremely fast, to save space on the cartridge memory

Limitation breed creativity

pepodmc_

For me captain tsubasa 2 for Nes is the game with the best soundtrack overall on the system in general.

Another Tecmo game

the cutscenes elevated even more these tracks, its a game with a very good story.
At the point that the manga took this game as a base for the story.

Last edited:
First videogames I ever played in my life. 1989, was only 2 years old. These games, especially the first one, are ingrained in my DNA. They are in my very humble opinion, the absolute best the NES has to offer and the pinnacle of the 8-bit era.

The team had a great vision for what the game could be. Keiji Yamagishi and Ryuichi Nitta were in charge of music and sound for NG1 and 2, they also worked on Tecmo Super Bowl which is full of bangers too.

I think Ninja Gaiden III's OST was competent, but not nearly as tight as the previous two.

You would be right, because Yamagishi and Nitta had nothing to do with 3. Almost nobody with creative control remained on that project and that's why it was so disappointing, it basically went against everything that the first two NG games established the series to be.

Also, I always have to drop a recommendation for The Messenger whenever it comes to MIDI soundtracks, or Ninja Gaiden. The game is fucking awesome and the soundtrack by Eric Brown (Rainbowdragoneyes) is killer.

RavageX

Gonna have to agree fully.

March Climber

Gold Member
I'm sorry but he's right. Look at this:

ninja-ninja-protocol.gif

2d-platformer-ninja-gaiden.gif

2KeD.gif

Very, very few games were even attempting to be on this level, cinematically. This stuff reminds me of what the team behind MGS: Ghost Babel was doing on the Game Boy Color, and that was a few years after Ninja Gaiden:

metal-gear-solid.gif

giphy.gif

2-hawkdies11b.gif

Top Bottom