• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you renew your multi-year Game Pass subcription when it ends?

Will you renew it?

• Total voters

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Its a hard no from me. I took advantage of stacking and bundle deals and am locked in until May 2025. Once that ends I am done.

At best, I might do the Core option and just buy games I am interested in.

I would reconsider if I had faith in Xbox ability to deliver a semi-regular stream of high quality exclusives. They have some big name games coming, but I'd say it's more likely they will underwhelm instead of be truly great. They simply do not have the leadership in place to recognize and support talented studios.

Why buy a pc you can't afford..
Because who knows how much longer these things will be "affordable"! Get the experience in while you can <3 my parents will most likely be gone in 10 years time. My Dad already noted he is past the average life expectancy for men, 73. Who knows how I will invest in 10 years, then.

Last edited:

Jaybe

I had 3 years Game Pass Ultimate bought during the Xbox Series X launch month.
I let mine expire Nov 2023 and sold the XSX.

Roberts

Yes, I will. Had it since day one, more or less, never missed a month. Discovered so many great games that the service basically singlehandedly revitalised my love for gaming. They have great curators - every month I get to play at least 4 or 5 games that I really like. I'm also glad that the quality of the games hasn't gone down over the years.

I'm fully aware I sound like a shill.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I voted no, because I didn't renew my 3 year GP when it expired.

Old habits die hard, I don't like what games I play being tied to what MS tells me is available, and I don't like this persistent thought of FOMO if I am not using it. Of course these are two things that MS exploits to keep people on GP.

Maddoxswe

Because who knows how much longer these things will be "affordable"! Get the experience in while you can <3 my parents will most likely be gone in 10 years time. My Dad already noted he is past the average life expectancy for men, 73. Who knows how I will invest in 10 years, then.
I feel you, have a nice time with that computer!

Field

I haven’t used it since November when I played Jusant. My subscription runs out later this year and planning to not renew. I will just buy the very few games I’m interested in and have time to play.

simpatico

I was really enthusiastic about PC gamepass. Used it to fall in love with the Yakuza series. Got my fill of Gears 5 and Halo Infinite SP with it. But it's been months since I subbed. Looking back I really got nothing for my money. That can be OK if the service is stellar, which it is not. They've still got hard drive bugs that would make any other developer blush, but we're talking about the same fucking company that makes the operating system. Having bugs of that severity is beyond unacceptable.

If the GamePass client was near Steam quality, I'd be a lot more likely to resub. They also need to increase the release cadence greatly. MS bought all these studios and seems to lack to the balls to 1. make their games exclusive. and 2. push them to release games faster. Waiting for Todd to get done masturbating with TES6 to make Fallout 5 is a grave mistake. Just order Fallout 5 due by Nov 2025 and start firing people if they don't deliver. Xbox and Windows only. Same for COD, same for Doom etc. They bought a $70 billion toy and haven't even unwrapped it. Some of the most incompetent asset management in the history of the world.

yamaci17

of course not. I will stack 3-4 games and buy 1 month of game pass, play them and don't touch game pass for that year again. I've always used it like this before I did the multi year deal. I had no problem with that approach

marjo

It's saved me a ton of money over the last few years. I don't mind the 'rental' aspect of it since I don't usually replay games. I'll keep renewing as long as it has games I want to play.

You got it all wrong. Let it go in to default and get turned over to collections. Then call them and offer half to pay it off. Bam. No longer a 10-year loan. 😜

* Please, never ever take financial advice from me.
Catcher in the Rye, who knows how innocent and pure I will be in 10 years, man.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So, assuming you play COD for the whole year, you'll pay 140 dollars to play it instead of 70? That's smart.
$140?! That’s cute. You actually think it would only cost $140 for a years subscription?

Try $210. GPU is $17 a month.

Not only that, you don’t have to buy a while year.

I think the point you’re trying to make is that only playing COD is a bad GP investment unless they plan to play for only a month or even two.

Nydius

Replies are close to what I expected. Microsoft is basing its entire plan on Game Pass, but the service is not gaining members as quickly as desired, and it seems like it might lose many of its existing members as well. The end of the road doesn't look very good.

When it first launched, I was really interested in it. Seemed like a great idea especially for someone living on a modestly fixed income, like myself. But after about a year to 18 months of having Game Pass, I realized money wasn't my biggest obstacle. Time is. There are some months where, due to whatever obligations I have going on or whatever doctor visits I have to take my wife to, I don't even turn my consoles on. This year so far has been a prime example. The first game I've played on Game Pass this entire year was Little Kitty, Big City that just came out because I've been too busy with other things and what limited time I had to game was already taken up by FF7 Rebirth or Stellar Blade.

That makes me feel like I'm wasting money on a service I don't have enough time to use.
I suspect others have probably begun to feel the same way.

I also suspect that since Game Pass is clearly what Microsoft wants out of Xbox, everyone here thinking they'll get to keep stacking cheap time is going to be disappointed soon. We've already seen them continually changing Microsoft Rewards. They've also already nerfed the 1:1 stacking loophole down to 3:2 and limited the amount of time certain regions can stack entirely. I expect they'll reduce it further, especially if they add another tier. There's no way they'll keep allowing people to undercut the total retail cost of these tiers if they're trying to maximize returns.

Pedro Motta

$140?! That’s cute. You actually think it would only cost $140 for a years subscription?

Try $210. GPU is $17 a month.

Not only that, you don’t have to buy a while year.

I think the point you’re trying to make is that only playing COD is a bad GP investment unless they plan to play for only a month or even two.
Yes, thank you, you're right.

I mentioned Dollars but my mind was thinking Euros, I pay 14 euros per month for GPU, whole year is around 170 euros. 140 euros was probably before the price hike.

lmimmfn

No, no interest in it tbh. I did the stacking I thing for 2 years ending in 2021 for PC. Was good for flight sim and i played a few other games like Forza which I didn't really like. No modding is another PITA.

I only buy 3-4 new games per year, most are never on it, and it's useless for Steam deck.

I also love going back playing older games when I get new PC hardware, so mostly useless for that also.

I have 0 monthly subscription services and intend to keep it that way as don't want to encourage that(the initially cheep service that is wonderful then at critical mass start jacking up prices every few months model)

feynoob

Gold Member

I mentioned Dollars but my mind was thinking Euros, I pay 14 euros per month for GPU, whole year is around 170 euros. 140 euros was probably before the price hike.
Glad I am not forced to play a yearly price tag. Would have dropped game pass completely.

Monthly is ok for me, since I can cancel anytime I want to.

3 month sub over the year is worth my money.

I am not sure. Mine is running out at the end of this year. I have been buying a lot games so I have a huge backlog at the moment. On the other hand, it is very cheap in Japan (Ultimate GP 1210yen/month), so I might just sub to it again.

ZehDon

Like all subscriptions, I keep mine month-by-month because, for as much as I enjoy Game Pass, they all have to earn my money every 30 days. By-and-large, Game Pass and Spotify are the one subs that do that consistently.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
UXmyYQc.jpeg

yWHLhBS.gif

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
I’ll continue to buy dirt cheap one month keys off of key sites. Rarely spend more than $2-3.

edit, I’m sure the price will go up. Especially when they introduce new features and tiers.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Did 3 year stacking in mid-2020 even thought later I had Xbox for like half the time. Absolutely no interest, the less subscriptions the better.

RavageX

So right now I have both Plus and Game Pass Ultimate. Have had a few other things like Uplay at some point.

But..for the first time since PS3 I canceled Plus. Dont care to look for discounts, the games offered I already have or im not interested in.

Gamepass...ill still have and will probably keep. I dont really play much on the Xbox, but i do try a number of games on pc. Persona 3 for example.

I like new games appearing free to play, I like that they offer multiple games of different types each month.

Plus, IMO isnt that great. Since some Playstation games are now on PC, it feels like theres less reason to even fool with it, and this is from a LONG time Playstation fan.

Now, MS is starting to make stupid decisions and if they keep it up then I just wont have either.

captainpat

I was gonna say no but there are sites that sell gp subs for huge discounts. Like 12 months of gamepass ultimate for $80. I just went for sales like that and stack them on my current subscription.

NinjaBoiX

I'm adding months with Rewards right now, so there's no 'renewal' required.

Plan to keep it going for as long as Rewards is sustainable, if that finishes, then will see what the best renewal options are at that point down the line.
You’re still doing the rewards thing?!?

I noped out when they nerfed the shit out of it, it’s worth almost nothing now.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
You’re still doing the rewards thing?!?

I noped out when they nerfed the shit out of it, it’s worth almost nothing now.
Depends if you’ve built it up or just try for the 12,000 for a month of GPU.

I’m currently sitting on about 291,000 points and it’s currently 35,000 for 3 months of GPU.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Depends if you’ve built it up or just try for the 12,000 for a month of GPU.

I’m currently sitting on about 291,000 points and it’s currently 35,000 for 3 months of GPU.

Yep. But even cheaper it's 10,500 if you have it set to auto redeem monthly, which is like extremely easy to do. However, auto-redeeming GPU needs you to do it from the console, you can't do it from the web store unfortunately, so people without consoles can't do this one.

StereoVsn

It’s very likely that COD will sit in its own Tier. So current Ultimate won’t get it.

Also, most folks who are into CaoD probably play the entire year until next COD is released (or two if the new one is crap). So subbing for COD specifically is not a great idea for most players.

Top Bottom