• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winnie the Pooh blacklisted by China’s online censors

bishopp35

From the FT (paywall)

Winnie the Pooh has become too politically sensitive to be mentioned on Chinese social media.
Posts including the Chinese name of the fictional bear were censored on Sina Weibo, ChinaTwitter-like platform, over the weekend, while a collection of animated gifs featuring the bear were removed from social messaging app WeChat.
While no official explanation was given, observers suggested the crackdown was related to previous comparisons of President Xi Jinping with the portly bear created by the English author AA Milne that went viral.

http_com.ft.imagepublazkmf.jpg

The political tightening this time is more severe than in previous congresses, one retired senior party official told the Financial Times, pointing out that a recent party meeting was convened to “ensure a smooth and stable congress” — a measure the official said had not been seen as necessary before previous congresses.

Heavy online censorship has been a feature of the past week, with the letters “RIP” blocked from Weibo following the death of Liu Xiaobo, the Chinese dissident and Nobel Peace Prize winner.
wu5VReJ

Cyanity

Banned
Isn't this becoming a serious issue in China? The people must be aware that their internet is being heavily censored...right?

cameron

While no official explanation was given, observers suggested the crackdown was related to previous comparisons of President Xi Jinping with the portly bear created by the English author AA Milne that went viral.
Chinese social media is rich with euphemisms and jokes used to bypass the censors. Comparisons between Mr Xi and Winnie the Pooh first circulated in 2013 during Mr Xi's visit with then US president Barack Obama.

A photo of the taller and thinner Mr Obama walking with Mr Xi was combined with a picture of Winnie the Pooh and his lanky friend Tigger, and the comparison stuck. In 2014, the comparison was extended to Mr Xi's meeting with Japan's prime minister Shinzo Abe, who was pictured as Eeyore, the sad donkey, alongside the bear. 

A photo of Mr Xi standing up through the roof of a parade car, next to a picture of Winnie the Pooh in a toy car, was named the ”most censored image of 2015" by political consultancy Global Risk Insights.
This can't seriously be the reason. C'mon.

This can't seriously be the reason. C'mon.

It is the reason. Censorship on Chinese social media is pretty real and pretty petty - stuff gets deleted on Weibo at an alarming rate whenever it's related to politics. The comparisons between Xi Jinping and Pooh became a widespread meme a few years ago - honestly I'm surprised it took them this long to start banning mention of the bear.

mclem

I can just see the crackdowns now. A government agent, an attractive woman, approaches people online to try to tempt them into sharing memes about Winnie the Pooh, and then BAM! Prison.

The Hunny Trap

Yeah this isn't a rare thing with China. Like when they banned big yellow ducks because of some Tank Man photoshop on the Tiananman Square anniversary.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Why's Obama gotta be Tigger though. That name has always bugged me since I was a kid. I love Winnie the Pooh though... Oh bother.

Regiruler

Weibo's the big social media over there, right? My brother said that his and everyone else's accounts from when they went over there on a trip got banned after they left China. On seeing how strict they are with censoring, I'm not surprised.

Also, Winnie the Pooh is affectionate parody at worst, come on.

Putin is also censoring social media pictures of him in drag.

Basically this is a measure of a despot rating now: Xi, Trump, Putin, Erdogan. Duterte also deploys a social media troll army.

These people are also the people Trump admires the most (himself included).

Derwind

I always try to tell people, you just make it easier to poke fun at your expense if you make it obvious you can't take a joke.

Top Bottom