• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd B.O. 01•05-07•18 - Neo year, Neo #1 in Jumanji, Neo NeoGAF hooooooo

xaosslug

jDBa13v.jpg
Dy16rHN.jpg
RrfBwfD.jpg
b9Su6XY.jpg
vuSw0nu.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
77%
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
eptv7.gif
27%
Insidious: The Last Key
kavuF.gif
90%
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
3Pj0x.gif
55%
The Greatest Showman
5f4ew.gif
31%
Pitch Perfect 3

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle’ Roars Past ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi,’ ‘Insidious 4’

Sony’s “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle” handily won the first box office weekend of 2018 over the launch of “Insidious: The Last Key” and “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” with $36 million at 3,801 North American locations.

The fourth installment of the “Insidious” horror franchise scared up a surprisingly strong $29.3 million at 3,116 sites for Universal. Disney-Lucasfilm’s “The Last Jedi” followed in third with a 55% decline to $23.6 million at 4,232 venues for a 24-day total of $572.5 million — the sixth-largest of all-time.

Fox’s third weekend of “The Greatest Showman” held nicely in fourth, declining only 12% to $13.6 million at 3,342 theaters for a 19-day total of about $77 million. It was followed in fifth by Universal’s third session of “Pitch Perfect 3” with $10.2 million at 3,458 sites, lifting its 17-day take to a solid $86 million.

Fox’s fourth weekend of animated comedy “Ferdinand” finished sixth with $7.7 million at 3,156 venues, followed by Jessica Chastain’s “Molly’s Game” from STXfilms, which brought in $7 million after expanding to 1,608 sites from 271. Chastain received a Golden Globe nomination for best actress in a drama for her work in the film — whether or not she wins will be determined Sunday. The film also received a Producers Guild Award nomination on Friday for best film, a day after Aaron Sorkin’s script received a Writers Guild nom for adapted screenplay.

The “Jumanji” sequel has taken in $244.4 million in its first 19 days domestically. It’s the first weekend box office win for “Jumanji” — which has gone past “Justice League” as the ninth-largest domestic grosser among 2017 titles. “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle” is also topping the $500 million mark worldwide.

Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart, Jack Black, and Karen Gillan star in “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle,” a sequel to Robin Williams’ original, which was a 1995 hit with $262 million worldwide. “Welcome to the Jungle” follows four high schoolers in detention who wind up as video game characters facing an array of challenges.

“Insidious: The Last Key” came in far above expectations, which had been in the $16 million to $19 million range. It’s the latest horror title from Blumhouse Productions, which delivered low-cost horror hits last year for Universal with “Split,” “Get Out,” and “Happy Death Day.” The franchise dates back to 2010 with “Insidious,” followed by “Insidious: Chapter 2” in 2013 and “Insidious: Chapter 3” in 2015 — which have grossed a collective $357 million worldwide.

Lin Shaye, who has starred in all three films, returns in “Insidious: The Last Key” as a parapsychologist whose haunted childhood comes to threaten her family and home in a follow-up to the events in “Insidious: Chapter 3.” It’s produced by “Insidious” regulars Jason Blum, Oren Peli, and co-creator James Wan and by Sony Pictures (through Stage 6 Films) with Blumhouse. Universal is the U.S. theatrical distributor with Sony releasing in the rest of the world.

Overall domestic business was up 18.1% to $165 million, according to comScore — a welcome sign after 2017 saw a 2.3% decline in total grosses.

“2018 is off to a rollicking start with ‘Jumanji’s’ unexpected strength boosting the overall marketplace nearly 20% ahead of the comparable weekend a year ago as the box office new year gives the industry cause to celebrate with an incredibly diverse lineup of titles driving patrons to theaters and a red hot awards season in full swing,” noted Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst with comScore. “Two years ago was not even as strong with a ‘Force Awakens’ driven marketplace ringing up sales of $159.1 million for the same weekend in 2016.”

More to come...

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
I posted in the other topics, but damn Jumanji is raking in the dollars for Sony! and i shouldnt have sold their shares!

Another good quarter for Kaz coming right up!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I wonder if any of the good will from Jumanji will carry over to Rampage? Maybe not since that looks more serious and has a weaker cast.

Kimawolf

I wonder if any of the good will from Jumanji will carry over to Rampage? Maybe not since that looks more serious and has a weaker cast.

I think the main issue with Rampage compared to Jumanji is going to be the cast. You had Karen Gilliam, The Rock, Jack Black, Kevin Hart. that is a really good cast. In Rampage you have the Rock. But that being said I do think some of the good will will carry over, to Rampage. And looking at when its releasing it may make a killing.

Kadayi

Banned
I'm still laughing about that SW BO drop. Raked back a bit on Saturday, but I'd love to be a fly on the wall of the next meeting Bob Iger has with Kathleen Kennedy.

Lupingosei

Banned
I'm still laughing about that SW BO drop. Raked back a bit on Saturday, but I'd love to be a fly on the wall of the next meeting Bob Iger has with Kathleen Kennedy.

Nothing will happen until Solo I guess. If Solo fails, we will get a reaction.

luxsol

Nothing will happen until Solo I guess. If Solo fails, we will get a reaction.
I think it matters right now, as this effects how Disney perceives Ryan's ability to make a successful trilogy.
Yeah, he made over a billion dollars for them, but it's the long term that matters and the perception of him by the fanbase on being able to make a good movie. Will Disney wait until the new trilogy to see if the first movie does well or will cut him off now based on the audience's reaction to his current film? Maybe wait until it's released on DVD/BD/rent?

Disney should be viewing Solo as its own thing. Yeah, it has a built in audience, but how well it does shouldn't affect anything Rian or TLJ did... unless TLJ really did sour fans so much that the box office will be worse than Rogue One and other popular franchise series.

Personally, TLJ did sour me enough to not go in blindly with the STar Wars films. They're no longer must sees. I used to go in blindly: no trailers, no discussions, no anything to do with stories/designs/etc for them. That's how i am with any upcoming movie/book i'm excited to watch.
Now I'm going to watch the trailers, read about impressions and maybe even read reviews on GAF before watching them, like i do with most any other movie. And from that, I'll decide if i want to watch it.

I’m not a fan at all of the movie ...what are you “laughing” at? The movie crossed a billion world wide.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I think the main issue with Rampage compared to Jumanji is going to be the cast. You had Karen Gilliam, The Rock, Jack Black, Kevin Hart. that is a really good cast. In Rampage you have the Rock. But that being said I do think some of the good will will carry over, to Rampage. And looking at when its releasing it may make a killing.

Very true. Looking over the April releases, it's way deader than I expected. There's New Mutants, but that looks kinda cheap. Not sure if anyone will bother seeing that. Might be room for a sleeper hit to get some cash before INFINITY WAR!

Kadayi

Banned
I’m not a fan at all of the movie ...what are you “laughing” at? The movie crossed a billion world wide.

You know those figures are gross right? That's before the Cinemas take their cut, and the actual cost of production and global marketing are factored in as well. People might be painting a rosy picture on it, but it's not a good look for the second part in a Trilogy Disney hope to make serious bank on. Sure principally at this juncture for them it's about Toy sales, but if people aren't responding to the film, the odds aren't good that they'll follow through and spend money on associated merch.

Last edited:
You know those figures are gross right? That's before the Cinemas take their cut, and the actual cost of production and global marketing are factored in as well. People might be painting a rosy picture on it, but it's not a good look for the second part in a Trilogy Disney hope to make serious bank on. Sure principally at this juncture for them it's about Toy sales, but if people aren't responding to the film, the odds aren't good that they'll follow through and spend money on associated merch.

Again it’s been in theaters less or almost a month crossed a billion dollars world wild and your speculating on merch sales ...from a movie that has grossed a half a billion domestically in a month. Yes sound the alarms.

Again I despise the film and the butchering of Luke, however there are no signs of fatigue or slowing for this franchise.

Kadayi

Banned
Again it’s been in theaters less or almost a month crossed a billion dollars world wild and your speculating on merch sales ...from a movie that has grossed a half a billion domestically in a month. Yes sound the alarms.

Again I despise the film and the butchering of Luke, however there are no signs of fatigue or slowing for this franchise.

It's predecessor cleared over 2 billion BO. Even with the best will in the world given, the drop off in daily returns as well as the indifference from China, it's not going to even come close to that before it is out of theatres.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=starwars8.htm

Regardless of how one slices or dices it, to try and paint it as a rosy picture of success is an outright denial of its stagnation.

Last edited:

Mahadev

I'm so glad the Star Wars milking isn't working that well for Disney. If only their superhero mass produced movies could fail too we might be able to save the industry.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Here's the next meeting

"Thanks Kathleen for getting us [likely] another $1.5B movie."

This sky falling crap and especially using TFA as a measuring stick is borderline comical. TFA was the first Star Wars movie staring the OT cast in over 30 years. The demand pent up for that movie, on top of being INSANELY safe movie-wise, made it lightning in a bottle.

In this thread we learn that $1.5B movies have studios running around scared as hell (oh wait, they don't).

It's predecessor cleared over 2 billion BO. Even with the best will in the world given, the drop off in daily returns as well as the indifference from China, it's not going to even come close to that before it is out of theatres.

Regardless of how one slices or dices it, to try and paint it as a rosy picture of success is an outright denial of its stagnation.
"comparing it to possibly the most sensational box office performance of modern times" and then you say "no matter how you cut it"..... well no, it DOES matter how you cut it... because when it ISN'T proper up against "the most sensational box office performance of modern times" it's a $1.5B movie that is doing incredibly well at theaters.

This "failing" narrative literally only works because TFA's pent up demand was as insane as it was. It will likely end in the top 5 WW movies of all time (give or take given how close 5 and 6 are) and will likely end at 3rd place domestically. Anyone who thinks that is concerning for Disney is deluding themselves.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned

This sky falling crap and especially using TFA as a measuring stick is borderline comical. TFA was the first Star Wars movie staring the OT cast in over 30 years. The demand pent up for that movie, on top of being INSANELY safe movie-wise, made it lightning in a bottle.

In this thread we learn that $1.5B movies have studios running around scared as hell (oh wait, they don't).

I like the way you go from speculation to certainty in a couple of lines there. It's $300 million shy of 1.5 billion, and given the way the BO is dropping off......

Even if it maintained a steady daily return globally of say $12million a day, it would still take 4 weeks to hit that target. Now let's have a look at how TFA did in terms of dropoff: -

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=starwars7.htm

Seems even TFA slipped below a daily return under $1million domestically by the first week in February.

1.5 Billion? Disney could keep it on screens for the rest of the year, but without those fan driven repeat views that pushed TFA so high it's unlikely to happen, and for TFA those re-views happened in the first month or so when it was still the main feature.

Subbing to this thread so we can have a check in a couple of months to see how it fares.

As for the rest, happy to talk all things Star Wars and TLJ in the dedicated thread: -

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/star...read-there-will-be-unmarked-spoilers.1459600/

Last edited:

luxsol

This sounds nice, but they have to have noticed the larger than normal drop off in box office proceeds every day and week, and the negative word of mouth that corresponds with this drop.
Do they feel comfortable giving a blank check for an entire new trilogy to the person responsible for that? At this point, it only affects Rian, not Kennedy.

Plus, look at Solo not doing well in production and bracing for the worst.
If this doesn't do well, critically and financially, there will undoubtedly be a change up.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This sounds nice, but they have to have noticed the larger than normal drop off in box office proceeds every day and week, and the negative word of mouth that corresponds with this drop.
Do they feel comfortable giving a blank check for an entire new trilogy to the person responsible for that? At this point, it only affects Rian, not Kennedy.

Plus, look at Solo not doing well in production and bracing for the worst.
If this doesn't do well, critically and financially, there will undoubtedly be a change up.

Except it's dropoff isn't even bad at all. Why make things up?

Kadayi

Banned
Last edited:

mckmas8808

Yeah, that -76.3% was nothing. Oh no wait, it was the worst drop off in all of SW movie history...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcai...holds-of-all-9-star-wars-movies/#5985417c355c

I don't know how it is people can look at the numbers and not understand for the IP involved it's not doing that well, and for the second part of a Trilogy, that should be a concern for those running things.

That's because Christmas was on a Monday! The dates were off last year (2017), that's been explained. The week after that we saw the huge bounce back.

Kadayi

Banned
Dude, the figures are there in black and white (They're there earlier in the thread). There was no huge bounce back. It had a slight peak again over the Christmas break (cos it's Christmas and families do the cinema thing to get out of the house), but it was still considerably down versus TFA over the equivalent period.

Last edited:

luxsol

That's because Christmas was on a Monday! The dates were off last year (2017), that's been explained. The week after that we saw the huge bounce back.
I like this excuse, because it's hilarious that Rogue One made more on its second Monday, the 26th, when most people go back to work than Last Jedi did on its second Monday, the 25th (32 million vs 27 million).

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Dude, the figures are there in black and white (They're there earlier in the thread). There was no huge bounce back. It had a slight peak again over the Christmas break (cos it's Christmas and families do the cinema thing to get out of the house), but it was still considerably down versus TFA over the equivalent period.

And here you are still comparing it to TFA, when people have explained to you why that's not a smart thing to do.

Kadayi

Banned
''
And here you are still comparing it to TFA, when people have explained to you why that's not a smart thing to do.

Why wouldn't you compare them? The days of the week doesn't mean a thing versus the actual returns. By any metric, its performance hasn't been great versus its predecessor. What's next on the carousel of excuses?

mckmas8808

''

Why wouldn't you compare them? The days of the week doesn't mean a thing versus the actual returns. By any metric, its performance hasn't been great versus its predecessor. What's next on the carousel of excuses?

So you think it's fair to compare a movie that had 10 years of pinned up demand vs. a movie that came out after 2 consecutive years of Star Wars movies dropping that both made over $1 or $2 Billion dollars?

Kadayi

Banned
So you think it's fair to compare a movie that had 10 years of pinned up demand vs. a movie that came out after 2 consecutive years of Star Wars movies dropping that both made over $1 or $2 Billion dollars?

Given TFA was pretty well received by audiences I don't see why not. I mean do you have a genuine case for exclusion? Or are you just going to throw out objections simply because the comparison between the two makes TLJ look bad in terms of result?

I mean jeez, I guess when we look at the matrix films, it wasn't that people thought reloaded was terrible and that why they stayed away from Revolutions., it's because 2 films in one year was a madness.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/search/?q=the matrix

luxsol

Look at the percentage drops though.
Yeah, TLJ probably wouldn't have been opened bigger than TFA even if it was a great film, but the larger than normal drops (by percentage) shows that the audience it got lessened significantly over the course of its release. Almost all films that do well get like 50-60% drops in ticket sales and good films can get lower. TLJ's drops are steeper, showing that word of mouth affected its ticket sales.
And even compared to Rogue One, it's doing worse in terms of those drops.

If you compare it to something like the new Guardians of the Galaxy or Thor, the drop is worse, since these sequels all made more money than their predecessors.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Given TFA was pretty well received by audiences I don't see why not. I mean do you have a genuine case for exclusion? Or are you just going to throw out objections simply because the comparison between the two makes TLJ look bad in terms of result?

I mean jeez, I guess when we look at the matrix films, it wasn't that people thought reloaded was terrible and that why they stayed away from Revolutions., it's because 2 films in one year was a madness.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/search/?q=the matrix

I forgot they did this. I was young at the time but I remember a lot of people having no idea the third matrix film even exsisted. They all thought it was just reloaded.

Top Bottom