• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman goes 24 hours without spending any money. So proud she writes an article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronito

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alexa-von-tobel/financial-challenge-go-a_b_566492.html
What would be it like to go a day without spending any money? I've thought about this before but I've never considered actually trying it. I couldn't imagine going a day without spending a single penny -- is that even possible? How would I get from A to B? What about food? Turns out, a day of living expense free is possible and you'd be surprised by the overwhelming sense of satisfaction and feeling of elation that comes from it.

On Tuesday night I had just returned home after a long day of work and I decided to order in from my favorite restaurant. Forty minutes later, the deliveryman arrived with my pasta primavera and a Greek salad and I handed him $32.50, including tip. Pretty steep for a dinner for one, I thought. I returned to my kitchen counter, brown bag in hand, and it was then that I had a moment: I reviewed my spending for the day and I realized that I had spent well over $80 over the course of the day on menial expenses. I hadn't gone shopping, I hadn't dined out at Cafeteria for lunch, and I hadn't joined my friends for drinks. It dawned on me that the taxicab rides, stops at CVS, the Starbucks lattes, the mid-morning or mid-afternoon snacks, my take-out from the fabulous Italian restaurant, and other trivial expenses really added up; realizing the total cost of it all was a painful but eye-opening experience.

That night, I decided to go on a mission to live a full 24-hour day without spending a penny. A self-proclaimed female A.J. Jacobs, I pledged to wake up Wednesday morning and eliminate all expenses from my daily routine. It would be a feat but I was determined to test my discipline and my creativity. I would prove to myself and to those around me that a day of living expense free is possible - and a worthwhile experiment.

Wednesday Morning

I knew that my success relied heavily on morning preparation, so I set my alarm clock 30 minutes earlier than my usual wake-up time. There were four morning spending hurdles that I had to tackle: the commute to work, my morning coffee, breakfast, and lunch. As a die-hard Le Pain latte lover, avoiding coffee was going to be a challenge. I knew I had a coffee maker and some Holder's House Blend coffee in my cupboard somewhere so it was about time I tried it out. Honestly, the coffee wasn't so bad. I was so used to my morning corner-coffee shop routine that I forgot how much I enjoyed a simple cup of joe in my apartment before I left for work.

On a typical day, I usually grab breakfast on my way to work at the deli below my Flatiron office. But yesterday I had some time to spare and I poured myself a bowl of cereal, adding banana slices on top. Not so bad. In order to prepare for lunch, I made myself a turkey sandwich on wheat bread, an apple and a granola bar and packed it up in a Ziploc bag. I'm not one to keep my fridge and cupboards stocked but I had a few items from my last trip to Trader Joe's and they would get the job done.

Luckily, I have a short commute to work; it takes approximately 20 minutes to walk to the LearnVest offices. With beautiful weather and a fun challenge underway, I gladly stepped outside and enjoyed the 20 minutes to myself before the hectic day began. En route, I make the decision to start walking more. If I left 10 minutes earlier, I could walk to destination and avoid the $5 to $10 spent on a taxicab ride. Within 20 minutes, I arrived at the office and I hadn't spent a single penny.

Lunchtime arrived before I knew it -- and I had my packaged lunch ready and waiting.

Wednesday Afternoon

Unlike the average day, I didn't have any meetings in midtown on yesterday so I was free and clear for the afternoon. I spent the afternoon at the office and avoided the usual mid-afternoon Latte run. I enjoyed a few of my colleague's crackers and surprisingly, made it through the day energized and motivated.

Earlier that week, I had discussed dining out drinks with my friends on Wednesday night. I hadn't spent any money the entire day and I was not going to jeopardize my experiment by dining out. I kindly proposed to my three girlfriends that we have a "potluck" dinner at my apartment, where everyone brought a different dish. I was surprised by how readily they agreed to the informal gathering and ran home after work to start putting together my part of the dinner. It was time to get creative.

Wednesday Evening

I arrived at my kitchen a bit fearful (let's just say I prefer eating over-cooking) yet I was excited for the challenge. I rummaged through my cupboard and fridge and sure enough, I had a box of unopened penne and an unopened can of tomato vodka sauce hidden behind some cans of soup. Penne vodka -- perfect. I realized that this was the perfect opportunity to use up those unopened cans or boxes that have been sitting in my cupboards. I discovered some frozen peas in my freezer and added those to the mix. Within minutes, I had donned my apron and found my inner Julia Child (Who knew I had one?), whipping up a delicious pasta dish at the stove and singing along to my Billy Joel favorites. My friends arrived, adding a salad, a bottle of wine and some baked Brie to the potluck dinner. We sat in my living room and laughed for an hour. Fun night.

Last night as I lay awake in bed, reviewing everything that happened I realized that with a little preparation, dedication and creativity, I successfully went a full day without spending anything. Not only did I save money, but I also discovered new ways to enjoy the things I love. I love coffee but there is no need for me to indulge in expensive lattes everyday -- a cup of coffee at my apartment will do the trick and it is just as satisfying. I love my friends but there is no need to dine out and break the bank every time we want to see each other. And with a potluck dinner, I can enjoy my new discovered love for cooking -- it's therapeutic, relaxing and surprisingly, fun!

I encourage everyone to try living a day without spending a single penny so you can enjoy the benefits of the challenge. Of course, there are some expenses, like the morning commute, that are unavoidable. If you live far away from the office and must travel by train, taxi or subway, you will have to spend some amount on travel. However, if you usually take a taxi to work, find the nearest subway and walk the extra 10 minutes to your destination. For those bicyclists out there, combine your morning workout with your morning commute and ride to work. The key is to be creative and be smart about your spending.

All in all, I was energized and motivated by my frugal living yesterday. I recognize that this experiment is unsustainable for a long period of time but I learned that if I just pay a little bit more attention to my daily expenses and put in a little effort, I could eliminate unnecessary, basic expenses from my daily routine. I woke up this morning feeling "cleansed," invigorated and ready to approach the day with an expense conscious mindset. This morning I opted for a cup of Holder's House coffee and I brought leftovers from last night's potluck for lunch; I foresee this quickly becoming part of my morning routine...
Seriously? Is this what we've come to?

BobLoblaw

Banned
:lol I go like 3 days a week without spending money. The days that I do spend money it's for something like lunch, gas, groceries, or bills.

I go for a week without spending money and think nothing of it. :lol

This makes me think of my friend's mom in high school. He would steal twenties from her purse on a regular basis and she never even noticed because there was always a stack of them. Sometimes it boggles my mind how frivolously some people spend.

mAcOdIn

Hahaha, man, I've gone weeks without spending any money, although I wouldn't call it liberating or anything, more like ravishing.

Hmm, what would it even be like to spend around 80 dollars a day on frivolous shit? Jesus, just looking it up, assuming she were to spend that amount 5 days a week, she spends more on coffee, breakfast, lunch and dinner than I make in a whole month.

I should shoot her an email to come live with me for a week, with my life lessons and her income she could be a billionaire in no time.

Hylian7

I go days quite often without spending money, in fact, today was one of those days.

I live in a campus dorm with a meal plan.

Despite that though, even without that it could probably be pretty easy. Have groceries, don't buy ridiculous stuff. This woman hasn't accomplished anything revolutionary.

ToxicAdam

This was how life was for most of America before instant credit, bank cards, check cashing companies and all that shit. You would get your paycheck on Friday, spend it by Monday or Tuesday and have no money until the next check came in.

This woman must be in her early 20's or have been living off her parents teat all her life.

edit: Oh, Harvard grad who had a job with Morgan Stanley upon graduation. Nuff said.

Aesius

hateradio said:
Journalists need to write about anything to compete with the blogs.

I would probably have received an F on principle alone if I had submitted this for my Feature Writing class.

mAcOdIn

It's even better than I first comprehended. It says she made it through the afternoon with the aid of some coworkers crackers. Well, she's the CEO. What must have that atmosphere been like for the CEO to mooch off someone's crackers? Was she on the intercom all day making hungry noises? Did she walk on over to the staff fridge and just stare longingly at shit? Or opposed to the "get coworkers to share with me out of the kindness of their hearts" strategy did she make a fool out of herself and proudly proclaim how she was going to go 24 hours without spending any money and how she had to sustain herself with only what's in her cupboard?

I wish I could have been there.

Korey

ToxicAdam said:
This was how life was for most of America before instant credit, bank cards, check cashing companies and all that shit. You would get your paycheck on Friday, spend it by Monday or Tuesday and have no money until the next check came in.

This woman must be in her early 20's or have been living off her parents teat all her life.
Actually she's the CEO of some personal finance company.

Edit:
Alexa von Tobel is the Founder and CEO of LearnVest. Alexa received an A.B. in Psychology Honors with a citation in Romance Languages and Literature at Harvard College. She was awarded Magna Cum Laude Plus for Harvard’s first ever senior thesis on Bhutan. Upon graduation, she worked as a trader at Morgan Stanley in New York in their Global Proprietary Credit Group. Alexa went on to become the Head of Business Development at Drop.io, a technology focused-start up, backed by RRE ventures and DFJ Gotham Ventures. In the fall of 2008, Alexa enrolled in Harvard Business School. When LearnVest received national recognition and was selected as an Astia 2008-2009 company, she took a leave of absence from Harvard Business School in order to launch LearnVest. The concept of LearnVest came to her when she realized she was graduating from Harvard College without ever having taken a single class on the topic of personal finance. In 2009, LearnVest raised $1.1 million in seed funding and was selected as a TechCrunch50 Company for 2009.

Alexa von Tobel feels passionately about making personal finance education fun and accessible to everyone. In addition to LearnVest, Alexa is the co-founder of L.W.A.L.A. a 501c3 focused on fighting HIV/AIDS in Africa.
OMG! I spent $32 on dinner last night so I thought, what would happen if I didn't spend $80 a day on food, lattes, drinks, and cabs? What if I had to resort to making my own coffee, cooking, and walking? Would I die? Posting this from my $3000/mo Manhattan apartment

Aesius

Korey said:
Actually she's the CEO of some personal finance company.

Knowing that makes the article that much more sickening.

I really hope this ends up on digg or something.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I've been packing my lunch everyday since junior high school. It ain't hard not to spend money on a daily basis.

This woman spends $80 a day?

WTF?

And she lives a mile from work and she takes a CAB every day? (20 minute walk = 1 mile). So now she discovered she can walk. Wow. Nobody tell her about bicycles, it might blow her mind.

Holy shit, this has to be a joke.

"Founder and CEO, LearnVest"

So I pop learnvest into google....

The Easiest Way to Understand Your Finances | LearnVest
May 7, 2010 ... Topics LearnVest Living Financial Basics Budgeting & Spending Checking & Savings College & Grad Credit Employment Home & Auto Insurance ...
www.learnvest.com/ - 23 hours ago - Cached - Similar pages

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
She spends $30 a day on taxis to work when her office is just a 20 minute walk from where lives? What the fuck is wrong with her? :lol

Poor Rich

Neo Member
I could understand this article if it were about not spending unnecessary money for a week or month, but 24 hours??? All she did was not pay for a cab and find food in her fridge!

Good thing she started that Learnvest site for proving financial information to women like how your salary varies from you take home pay and that vacations cost money. Women on the internet don't know how good they have it.

Oh, and here is a nice quote from that site about her mother for Mothers day.
"...When she encouraged us to take that vacation in college—she was showing us that money is an important means to an end, but that the end is important, too."

I mean everyone goes vacationing in college right???

Spending anything upwards of $5 on food in a day makes me feel uneasy, unless its the weekend or something. $5 foot long sub from subway, half for lunch, half for dinner. A winner is YOU!

I have a better article.

"Founder of personal budgeting website spends $80 a day on crap"
Subheading: Expenses include $30 a day for 1 mile commute.
Special note: Minimum wage is $58 a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom