• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Top 50 Most Dangrous Cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
From CNN:

1 San Pedro Sula, Honduras
2 Ciudad Juárez, México
3 Maceió, Brazil
4 Acapulco, México
5 Distrito, Central Honduras
6 Caracas, Venezuela
7 Torreón, México
8 Chihuahua, México
9 Durango, México
10 Belém, Brazil
11 Cali, Colombia
12 Ciudad de Guatemala, Guatemala
13 Culiacán, México
14 Medellín, Colombia
15 Mazatlán, México
16 Tepic , México
17 Vitoria, Brazil
18 Veracruz, México
19 Ciudad Guayana, Venezuela
20 San Salvador, El Salvador
21 New Orleans, USA
22 Salvador, Brazil
23 Cúcuta , Colombia
24 Barquisimeto, Venezuela
25 San Juan, Puerto Rico
26 Manaos, Brazil
27 São Luís, Brazil
28 Nuevo Laredo, México
29 João Pessoa, Brazil
30 Detroit, USA
31 Cuiabá, Brazil
32 Recife, Brazil
33 Kingston, Jamaica
34 Cape Town, South Africa
35 Pereira, Colombia
36 Macapá, Brazil
37 Fortaleza, Brazil
38 Monterrey, México
39 Curitiba, Brazil
40 Goiânia, Brazil
41 Nelson Mandela Bay, South Africa
42 Barranquilla, Colombia
43 Saint Louis, USA
44 Mosul, Iraq
45 Belo Horizonte, Brazil
46 Ciudad de Panamá, Panamá
47 Cuernavaca, México
48 Baltimore, USA
49 Durban, South Africa
50 Johanesburgo, South Africa

Looks like Ciudad Juarez is improving... Northern México.. :(

zoku88

Huh, didn't know there was a Mexican version of CNN.

Is it sad that whenever I see this lists, I always look for Baltimore first?

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
One of these things is not like the other...or three or so...

clemenx

Banned
Caracas should be 1.

Not a single Chilean or Argentinian city! I always wished I was born a bit more in the south.

jbueno

Woooohooo Monterrey! Fucking disgrace. If you had told me 5 years ago it would have been on such a list, I would have told you to fuck off.

sk3

Banned
I'm kind of amazed there aren't a lot more african cities on there. But maybe its because they don't have as many large populated cities. I would rather walk around Detroit all day long than step foot in some of those countries.

noah111

Still Alive
Only took twenty south/central american cities before a US city, and it ends up being New Orleans of all places...

Fuck the west indeed.

rataplein

Brazil 14
México 12
Colombia 5
South Africa 4
USA 4
Venezuela 3
Honduras 2
Guatemala 1
El Salvasor 1
Puerto Rico 1
Jamaica 1
Iraq 1
Panamá 1

half the list is made up of brazilian capitals. i live in one of them, fml. also i like when i used to act e-tough on the interwebs, people would say i was bullshitting them

i know a guy from maceio too. he says people get killed there just by looking at each other wrongly. they'll cut your dick for no reason also

edit: i know irl people from like 4 or 5 cities in that list. we're like hokuto no ken fighters on the internet, i tells ya

Yeah that'd be them. Are city names generally directly translated like these in Spanish even though they are proper nouns?

Yes because the names come from names and cities in europe are translated. You will sometimes see the names untranslated (more often in latin american countires) but often the language authories (RAE) will bitch about it.

For example in new orleans case http://buscon.rae.es/dpdI/SrvltConsulta?lema=Nueva Orleans it specifically says " No debe usarse en español la forma inglesa New Orleans" The english form of New Orleans shouldn't be used.

I wonder what criteria they used for ranking these cities. I mean, surely a city such as Mogadishu, Somalia is more dangerous then St. Louis, Missouri, right?

I wonder if there was just a lot of lack of data in large parts of Africa outsides of South Africa along with other developing nations.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Surprised at Rio not being between the Brazilian cities, time to gloat! (lol)

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
you sure this is the world? seems to be missing the other side of the world.

edit: well i see one middle eastern city is in there. Still seems odd..

Woooohooo Monterrey! Fucking disgrace. If you had told me 5 years ago it would have been on such a list, I would have told you to fuck off.

To be fair these lists not always reflect the true level of danger for the average citizen. I live in no. 2 and most of the danger is in collateral damage. If you are involved in the conflict then yes, you are in great danger. But for the city folk the worst of this exceptional phase seems to have passed, hopefuly. If what the media told me was true, I should've died a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom