• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Wire - Hands On: Replaced is a Stylish Cyberpunk Platformer with an ’80s Cinematic Edge

If like me, you’re a sucker for a gritty Cyberpunk setting, then you’re going to love Replaced. Set in alternate version of 1980s America, this action platformer takes us on a journey across Pheonix-City, a dystopian wasteland where greed and corruption rules, and outlaws are rife in the aftermath of an apocalyptic event. This week, I managed to get my hands on a demo of Replaced, and it’s looking incredibly promising.

The preview we played was split into three distinct sections, demonstrating Replaced’s strengths in different areas. In the prologue, I’m introduced to our protagonist, R.E.A.C.H, an artificial intelligence that becomes trapped in a human body during an explosion. Before you’ve had time to question what has happened, R.E.A.C.H and his fleshy prison are faced with the greatest ultimatum – run or die.
ReplacedDemo4KForest2-1a6382c62e9c448a3e71.jpg

This initiates a high-octane chase scene, with R.E.A.C.H having to leap over obstacles and calculate pauses to the nanosecond, lest you be captured or coldly gunned down. This sequence set a tense, unforgiving tone for Replaced – the inputs are simple, but there’s a distinct rhythm to it, and your timing is paramount. However, what really makes this section feel exciting is its gorgeous cinematic transitions; the game flows seamlessly from playable segments to animated cutscenes that feel like an explosive ’80s action movie. Light particles cascade down through trees and seep through large, imposing steel fences as I sprint from my doom – I actually died a few times getting distracted by the scenery. The apex of this chase segment sees me leap from a ledge and into another epic cinematic moment, drenched in cold, Blade Runner-esque colors. True care has gone into making this resonate like a classic action movie, but with an extremely cool pixel art twist.

The meatiest part of the demo sees R.E.A.C.H. arrive at his new home in Phoenix-City, an abandoned train station that’ll also serve as a hub for the game. Here, I met a diverse cast of characters with their own mysterious goings-on, and this is where Replaced’s story begins to shine. Just like the home they share, everyone that R.E.A.C.H meets seems to come with moral complexities and each is doing what they must endure to survive – which is not always obvious to R.E.A.C.H. As an A.I., their comprehension for how characters behave doesn’t always align with their surroundings, which makes for interesting conversations as the story begins to unfold.
ReplacedDemo4KStation1-66b7f8cdf96cdf9d3089.jpg

Again, I’m met with some incredible designs – as I meander through the station, I pass derelict, crumbling buildings illuminated by rainbow string lights, a neon-soaked ’80s-imbued arcade, and a bustling market with myriad stalls selling odds and ends. One particular street shows me an abundance of potted plants spilling over rusting, metal shelves, set just above a group of stragglers perched on mismatched sofas watching TV. Humans with missing limbs pass me on crutches, others on the shoulders of able-bodied allies, making Replaced’s hub feel truly alive and full of thought. This isn’t just a radical dystopian future where you get be the badass hero, it’s showcasing the misery and resilience of a society trying to get by in uncompromising circumstances.

The final section gives me a taste for the combat, which unsurprisingly also comes with a distinct sense of classic cool. With a series of deftly timed inputs, I disarm an enemy, steal his club and then begin wailing on the rest of the group. I need to use melee attacks in order to charge my gun attack, which allows me to fire off one devastating bullet before the bar is empty again. This is an interesting way to approach combat and again leans back into the aforementioned struggle – you have the skills to feel like a badass, but something like firing a weapon requires work at this stage, and every bullet is well earned.
ReplacedDemo4KExplosion-54d391bed2acd197518d.jpg

By the end of the preview, I felt extremely ready to dip into the full release of Replaced and uncover the stories buried within Phoenix City. If Replaced sounds like your retro-futuristic jam, be sure to stay up to date with the game on X (formerly Twitter) at @ReplacedGame.

Robb

Gold Member
Had totally forgotten about this. Love the visual style! Hope it turns out good.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I didn't know it was a platformer. Tight combat? Interesting. Figured it might be more of a story game.

Sounds like it's for sure coming this year.

Looks HD2D. Hyped.

ReplacedDemo4KStation1-66b7f8cdf96cdf9d3089.jpg

Last edited:

Darsxx82

PLEASE GET A RELEASE DATE SOON !

This game has been on the show-circuit for multiple years now, always looks so fucking cool.
Is a a Gamepass game also. Another one on the list of those I want to know release date......

Not forgetting The Last Night which seems to be getting close to being shown again after a super improvement in technology and ambition.....

PS. The fact that they are advancing information about games like this gives me a good feeling about what is prepared for the Showcase.

Outlier

FINALLY. I was wondering what happened with this game, but... DAMN how long does it take to make a 2.5D game!? It's been like... 6 years or something, since the original reveal.

Or maybe I'm thinking of a different (but similar) game.

FINALLY. I was wondering what happened with this game, but... DAMN how long does it take to make a 2.5D game!? It's been like... 6 years or something, since the original reveal.

Or maybe I'm thinking of a different (but similar) game.

You might be thinking about The Last Night.

This game basically ripped its art style (but it still looks cool).

There's been basically nothing shown of The Last Night except that they redid their graphics or something, and other cryptic teases from the game's director. This is the last thing they've shared:

Last edited:

Outlier

There's been basically nothing shown of The Last Night except that they redid their graphics or something, and other cryptic teases from the game's director. This is the last thing they've shared:

100% That's the game. Thank you. Sucks that it's still in development, but whatever helps make it better.

clarky

Gold Member
Fuck yes, this looks awesome. Seems like we've been waiting on it for a while.

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President

This is never gonna release. Thanks retardera!

Ristifer

It feels like I have been waiting forever to hear more about this game. Glad to see it pop up again. Hopefully a release date is around the corner.

I think it got delayed because Reeee figured out the guy was conservative and Ms pulled funding

That's insane because he's not even conservative. He's like a French guy living in England, and posts pretty classically liberal views on twitter. Pretty much the furthest thing from an American conservative you can get, but hey that's what you get from Retardera.

Top Bottom