• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xdefiant gets an official release date May 21st

havoc00

Ubisoft has given free-to-play first-person shooter XDefiant a pre-season release date of May 21 on PC via Ubisoft Connect, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X and S. Ubisoft failed to mention a release on PC via Steam or the Epic Games Store in its announcement.

Any word on if it has forced crossplay? That’s what got me to nope out of BF2042 pretty quickly.
There’s an option to turn it off, but no matches worked. I think it was turning mouse and keys off as an option….but then of course there were people spoofing being on console with no mouse and keys, that clearly were rocking mouse and keys. Sad that the game isn’t going to be popular enough for them to actually ban cheaters. They will keep them in games because it will kill the active player game numbers. The same sad song that happened with BF2042. Console players could only find matches if full crossplay was checked, but the Aimbot were absolutely insane. EA and Dice clearly made the business decision to not remove a shit ton of them because they knew their player numbers were teetering. Letting the cheats stay in for artificial number skewing will turn me away from a game any damn time. In fact, as a lifelong BF fan, there’s a possibility I don’t even touch the next game because of that nonsense. That to me is the biggest dev to gamer disrespectful shit anyone could do. Dirt bag style trying to keep their game alive 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

rm082e

I know this may be a non answer but I really could see it going either way, it has some things working for it and against it
Oh I feel the same way. That's why I thought it was interesting to consider. It seems like it will either take off and establish a foothold, or be a zombie game with 300 players four months in.

Ubisoft has given free-to-play first-person shooter XDefiant a pre-season release date of May 21 on PC via Ubisoft Connect, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X and S. Ubisoft failed to mention a release on PC via Steam or the Epic Games Store in its announcement.

Sweet excited to give it a shot.

havoc00

ROcULbq.jpeg

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Thats actually a solid plan.

I really hope players actually stick with it though.
It feels very classic COD, which for me is a good thing.....CoD4 is still my most played Xbox game.
So i was excited after some xDefiant tests.

If the play base sticks with this game, ill probably be in it till the next Battlefield drops.

If this game fails maybe Ubi should just give up on this live service thing, they make enough bank off their single players games regardless of how soulless they might feel at times.

Ohh but bring on another The Division.....Snowdrop is frikken powerhouse engine and I need more!

elmos-acc

A F2P FPS on console that is not a Battle Royale or Overwatch? Will definitely try. I think there is a market for it.

I don't want to derail this thread to console warring, but I hope that Sony also acknowledges that all the competitors are owned by Microsoft and makes even some form of strategic partnerships with Ubi and EA.

EDIT: Also, UbiSoft really needs a win right now. They have taking exclusively L's for at least a half a decade.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I was so excited for this game, but after all the delays and the recent BS COD has gone through with cheaters and bot lobbies, im 100% convinced that this game will become a hackers paradise and sweat fest within a few days of release. I just want a fun / casual shooter that I can play and have fun. Hope im wrong but I feel this will be a toxic game

Black_Stride

A F2P FPS on console that is not a Battle Royale or Overwatch? Will definitely try. I think there is a market for it.

I don't want to derail this thread to console warring, but I hope that Sony also acknowledges that all the competitors are owned by Microsoft and makes even some form of strategic partnerships with Ubi and EA.

EDIT: Also, UbiSoft really needs a win right now. They have taking exclusively L's for at least a half a decade.

3pAJ04j.gif

Im so confused by this post.
Xdefiant isnt a console shooter, its on PC too.....and it feeling like classic CoD is def gonna have some people feeling nostalgic about it, that is however not a guarantee of success. Nobody "knows" the formula for success in the online shooter space.
Valorant actually being so successful kinda took me by surprise cuz I thought it was CSGO + Overwatch and both camps would stick to their game of choice.....but somehow here we are.

Strategic partnership with Ubi and EA for what?
EA is already in MS back pocket.
Ubisoft is Ubisoft, what deal could Sony possibly be champing at the bit for?

2022 - 23 is pretty much Ubis only bad year recently, prior theyve been swimming in wins...........how have they been taking Ls for the last half decade?

elmos-acc

3pAJ04j.gif

Im so confused by this post.
Xdefiant isnt a console shooter, its on PC too.....and it feeling like classic CoD is def gonna have some people feeling nostalgic about it, that is however not a guarantee of success. Nobody "knows" the formula for success in the online shooter space.
Valorant actually being so successful kinda took me by surprise cuz I thought it was CSGO + Overwatch and both camps would stick to their game of choice.....but somehow here we are.

Strategic partnership with Ubi and EA for what?
EA is already in MS back pocket.
Ubisoft is Ubisoft, what deal could Sony possibly be champing at the bit for?

2022 - 23 is pretty much Ubis only bad year recently, prior theyve been swimming in wins...........how have they been taking Ls for the last half decade?

XDefiant is a shooter that is on console, unlike CS:GO and Valorant for example. Of course it is not a guaranteed success, but it could appeal to people who like to play a little less sweaty.

How's EA on MS's pocket? I am just saying that Sony needs AAA competitive FPS's to not be DOA. Also, if the next Battlefield or Siege are in a competing release window, there is no chance in hell that MS will want to promote them.

Far Cry 6, Watch Dogs: Legion, AC: Mirage, The Crew: Motorfest... AC: Valhalla apparently did good numbers but it came and went. Their big releases have been few and not landed.

Complistic

If this game fails maybe Ubi should just give up on this live service thing, they make enough bank off their single players games regardless of how soulless they might feel at times.
Yeah it's like gambling though, all it takes is one to pay for X amount of failures.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

XDefiant is a shooter that is on console, unlike CS:GO and Valorant for example. Of course it is not a guaranteed success, but it could appeal to people who like to play a little less sweaty.

Its a shooter that is on console......like 99% of shooters?????
Are we assuming because game is on console its less sweaty?

Whats going on?
How's EA on MS's pocket?

EA and MS had been working together with EA on EA Access since forever, EA Play is even part of Xbox GPU now.
EA and MS are thick as thieves.

I am just saying that Sony needs AAA competitive FPS's to not be DoA. Also, if the next Battlefield or Siege are in a competing release window, there is no chance in hell that MS will want to promote them.

What the fuck does this even mean?

Does Sony NEED to do broker deals in order for AAA shooters to continue existing?
Whats your point with the whole Sony should make some sort of partnership to ensure AAA competitive shooters arent DoA?
Im so confused.

Yeah it's like gambling though, all it takes is one to pay for X amount of failures.
True True.
If XDefiant works they way they are hoping, the failure of HyperScape will be fully justified.

Top Bottom