• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite strategy guides?

f666431378a0f24eeee07110.L.jpg

I have this and it is an amazing book. It is really fun to go back and look through the games of my early childhood. :)

Verelios

Love, Love, Love the Tales of Symphonia Guide. So many things would have been absolutely ridiculously impossible without it, such as learning
Kratos could live! Not that I was particularly mad when I found out since I main the L man.

symphoniaguidea.jpg

Also, a big shout out to the guide of Bayonetta and Dark Souls. Good quality art and paper.

Jawmuncher

The old school Unofficial Resident Evil guides were the best.
So many tips and tricks in there. Hell during the ninties a lot of those unofficial guides were better than the official it seems like.

Baust

Valkyrie Profile Lenneth's guide was an amazing help when going for the best ending.

51BWYRG5X1L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I never used the guide for the original version of the game, but I'm sure it was useful too.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
uIb3zeJ.jpg

Daggerfalls was nice.

Also the Fallout 2 guide was nice with some interesting insights. It fits just about perfectly in that god awful box.

As someone who loves guides, I have to admit that I was impressed by Prima's digital versions. I wish they would/could go back and put up their old ones at a discounted price.

Also: if anyone has eguide redemption codes PM me. I might be interested in buying them. :D

Kirlia

Banned
I have an affectionately dog-eared copy of this. Great memories.

796610.jpg

I see that and raise you the Versus Pokemon Crystal version of that guide! Informative AND entertaining. Bless you, Casey Loe (who has done so many strategy guides, it is both mind-boggling and impressive).

In general, I remember collecting loads of Pokemon strategy guides, whether from Prima, Nintendo, Versus, or anyone else. My sisters also had several Final Fantasy guides (all from BradyGames, I think), including the sad abomination that is the FFIX strategy guide. It never fails to show up in a "Worst Strategy Guide You Ever Owned" thread.

jph139

Not official, but...

daI4KWF.png

Absolute labor of love. Entirely, 100% fanmade, with custom illustrations, super beautiful layout... even those clay models for all of the major characters and enemies and such were hand-made and photographed for the booklet. And they even put it online for free at the same time!

Fangamer is the realest.

I can name off a lot of guides that I love. As a kid, I would read the Final Fantasy VIII guide from front to back. Those were a lot of good memories, but I ended up having a horrible one with a certain guide.

One that I couldn't even use to the full extent until nearly a year and a half later.

That was Final Fantasy IX. We didn't get internet in my house until late 2001, so that guide was useless to my twelve year-old self. It didn't help that by the time I did get internet, I found better alternatives in fan made FAQs.

Kirlia

Banned
Not official, but...

daI4KWF.png

Absolute labor of love. Entirely, 100% fanmade, with custom illustrations, super beautiful layout... even those clay models for all of the major characters and enemies and such were hand-made and photographed for the booklet. And they even put it online for free at the same time!

Fangamer is the realest.

YESSSS OH GOD it's beautiful. ;_; Someday, I'll buy an actual physical copy of it because it's THAT good.

I have an affectionately dog-eared copy of this. Great memories.

796610.jpg
Came in here looking for this. Way better than the official guide for RBY, too. And the RBY one had that hilarious "our teams" section where the one suggests
popping out your opponent's batteries while they laugh at your Kakuna

FFXI the crafting/job ability/trait sections were awesome.

I remember the Brady guide was like the worst guide EVER with it's terrblie suggestion on what sub-job to build for your main jobs and other "tips", and it's only good for the maps and some art work. I own most of the JP guides I can get my hands on back then all the way til I stop playing and those had been much more helpful to me even thou I don't understand Japanese for the most part. I even use some of them morw then I alt-tap out to wiki stuff.

Novocaine

I got some serious use out of this bad boy back before Thottbot was a thing. Except the one I had had a picture of an orc on the front, but I couldn't find a decent sized picture.

JN1TJxK.jpg

May16

One of my favorite games of all time. Strategy guide came in real handy.

uTsPgSK.jpg

Agreed. I couldn't have beaten the game without that thing bailing me out in the sewers.

This, on the other hand, was the complete opposite:
51b2jn1wz0l.jpg

"Go down the south path until you come to a fork in the road. To see which way you turn, check PlayOnline.com."

"This boss has a dangerous element that can only be beaten with special armor. Check PlayOnline.com for more info."

*Checks PlayOnline.com*

4644.jpg

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
The Morrowind Prophecies by Peter Olafson.

I read that thing at home, on the bus, at school at lunch, and always had it handy when playing the game. I used it so much it actually split down the middle of the spine, but thankfully the GOTY edition replaced it.

It was fun to read stats, quest info, character stuff, and more, all done in an entertaining writing style. I read it so much, I was able to figure out where the author had made mistakes in the quest guides (he was probably using a pre-release copy of the game).

adj_noun

The Morrowind Prophecies by Peter Olafson.

I read that thing at home, on the bus, at school at lunch, and always had it handy when playing the game. I used it so much it actually split down the middle of the spine, but thankfully the GOTY edition replaced it.

It was fun to read stats, quest info, character stuff, and more, all done in an entertaining writing style. I read it so much, I was able to figure out where the author had made mistakes in the quest guides (he was probably using a pre-release copy of the game).

Oh man, I have that one. I don't think I'm ever reading another guide quite like it.

PigzFly

Probably this:

265.jpg

*Not my image

This began my love affair with Piggyback guides. They make some really high quality stuff, usually with a bunch of artwork and developer interviews scattered throughout.

Kirlia

Banned
Agreed. I couldn't have beaten the game without that thing bailing me out in the sewers.

This, on the other hand, was the complete opposite:
51b2jn1wz0l.jpg

"Go down the south path until you come to a fork in the road. To see which way you turn, check PlayOnline.com."

"This boss has a dangerous element that can only be beaten with special armor. Check PlayOnline.com for more info."

*Checks PlayOnline.com*

4644.jpg

Does PlayOnline even exist anymore?! I hope other strategy guides didn't have the same gimmick that the ill-fated FFIX guide had.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm biased by nostalgia, but I love this one.

250px-A-Link-To-The-Past-Nintendo-Players-Guide.jpg

It was presented as a history book. Being 6-7 years old at the time, I ate that stuff up and it really made the LttP experience for me.

Another one I really liked:

51waQQmIgAL.jpg

It seemed to have just the right amount of exposition and instruction. The pictures were all well chosen. Great companion piece for playing the game, especially the first time through.

BouncyFrag

I've still got this trusty companion from back in the day in a box somewhere.
tatcover2.jpg

Edit: that triforce looks like cheese

Phil S.

Banned
I really liked The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Nintendo Power guide. It read like a storybook, and it just made the game much more enjoyable.

I also dig anything with lots of maps. I'm a sucker for maps, be it for tracks in racing games, FPS arenas, and so on.

butzopower

proud of his butz
As a kid, I had the Mario 64 guide, I think I got it as a gift for resubscribing to Nintendo Power. I read it cover to cover and had dreams about it. Still have never owned Mario 64.

May16

Does PlayOnline even exist anymore?! I hope other strategy guides didn't have the same gimmick that the ill-fated FFIX guide had.

I think it's a big FFXI and FFXIV hub now.

On topic, here's my actual favorite guide ever:
51LPdYA0SzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Bought for $20, hardcover Lunar 2 Eternal Blue Complete (PSX) guide. Detailed, informative, and hilarious. Came with a mail-in slip for a posted, which I used, but then when I was away at college, my family moved and the movers destroyed the poster (was hanging in my sister's room). I came back and was pretty fuckin' pissed.

jholmes

Everyone's posting the EarthBound one (and rightfully so) so I'll show off this one instead:

13.jpg

I still pull this thing out from time to time. It's a beauty. I'd love to pick up some of the similar multi-game ones Nintendo Power did, like Mario Mania or the NES Game Atlas.

Why did it take so long for this one to come up? This isn't the best guide I've read, but it might be the most ubiquitous.

471b82e2a56cafb30c69f77c57e69b5b.jpg

Extremely helpful guide, huge, lots of maps, stickers, 2 complete Pokedex and covered every single inch of the game at the time.

The best part was that some of the Kerotans were missing (I believe 59 of 64 were listed), and others were labeled "Find me!" (rather than being pinpointed on a map). Guess it was a limited edition guide for a reason.

ishiYQts1UFk7.gif

Top Bottom