• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

64,000 Missing Women in America All Have One Important Thing in Common

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

The numbers: Despite representing 12.85% of the population, black Americans accounted for nearly 226,000 — or 34% — of all missing persons reported in 2012. According to the FBI's National Crime Information Center, the comparison with other racial groups is unfavorable: Whites and Hispanics are a combined 80.1% of the population, but account for 60% of missing persons.

This is especially troubling when you break down the numbers by age. Black and Missing reports that 37% of missing minors and 28.2% of missing adults in 2013 were black. No fewer than 270,000 minorities have gone missing since 2010, 135,000 of whom were black and 64,000 were black women, according to the Atlanta Black Star.

Essence points to a 2010 report titled "Missing Children in National News Coverage," which found that while black children accounted for 33.2% of missing children that year, the media exposure rate was an unimpressive 19.5%. While black men go missing at statistically higher rates, coverage of black female disappearances is particularly telling in light of the attention similar stories get when white women are involved.

Source

Numbers don't lie

xbhaskarx

Seems like any time an attractive young white woman goes missing it's national news for months and everyone in the country knows her by name.

You know what makes them big? BECAUSE they're white girls.

rsz_116902_v1_001_8726.jpg

Philia

Yeah. My apt complex was part of the investigation of a missing young black girl (amber alert) and that was the first missing persons case where I've met with an officer at the door and told him I don't know anything about it. I felt bad that I couldn't do any more.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised that this happens more often (kidnappings etc) to minorities than whites. :\ I bet most of them had gone unreported too because how mistrustful they are to the police these days.

Instro

I dunno but Hispanic girls going missing gets a lot of news attention, at least in California anyway. I would suspect regional news covers things pretty fairly due to demographics while national level news stories are where we have seen the pretty whight girl effect.

rtcn63

Do you guys think a factor in why more black girls go missing is because abductors assume there'll likely be less police/media intervention on their behalf?

Infinite

Do you guys think a factor in why more black girls go missing is because abductors assume there'll likely be less police/media intervention on their behalf?

From my own personal experience in NYC when young black women go missing a lot of the time when it is reported they treat the case as a runaway.

devilhawk

I just have trouble thinking the majority of kidnappers/murders are thinking about that.

JDSN

Banned
They will solve those cases as quickly as a Mississippi detective investigating the murder of a young black man.

Tokubetsu

From my own personal experience in NYC when young black women go missing a lot of the time when it is reported they treat the case as a runaway.

They bring this up in the article. Law Enforcement seems to automatically assume foul play is involved on the victim's part or that it's a runaway. Right off the bat.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

It's certainly possible. There are a few known abductors who targeted minorities because they knew there would be less police involvement. But generally most people tend to abduct their own race. You stick out less when everyone else looks like you.

Bodacious

Banned

Not disagreeing, but if you think about it they don't give much of a shit about ugly white girls, either. Or obese any-person, if they're not already famous or a bigshot around town. When was the last time you saw the national media focused on a missing white girl named Tonya who was last seen turning tricks and crashing at a meth house in Cincinnati? Or Shelly the 400lb secretary who didn't come to work one day?

If you're beautiful and missing, Nancy Grace might get on it.

aly

Probably so. I guess its kinda the same thing with shootings too in the news.

Not disagreeing, but if you think about it they don't give much of a shit about ugly white girls, either. Or obese any-person, if they're not already famous or a bigshot around town. When was the last time you saw the national media focused on a missing white girl named Tonya who was last seen turning tricks and crashing at a meth house in Cincinnati? Or Shelly the 400lb secretary who didn't come to work one day?

If you're beautiful and missing, Nancy Grace might get on it.

Problem with this argument is that even if the woman is beautiful as long as she's black she's still not making the news.

TarNaru33

Banned
I don't get it... You all do realize that many cases do go to the media, right? Or are you arguing of how unfair the coverage is on a national level?

The question I would like to know is of those missing statistics, how many are found, ran away, and is misreported?

Infinite

I don't get it... You all do realize that many cases do go to the media, right? Or are you arguing of how unfair the coverage is on a national level?

The question I would like to know is of those missing statistics, how many are found, ran away, and is misreported?

unreal. smh

gdt

You gotta be real cynical trying to pick apart missing person statistics.

Problem with this argument is that even if the woman is beautiful as long as she's black she's still not making the news.

The kid in the picture is a child beauty queen. Holloway was a beautiful young woman killed in a foreign country, Laci Petersen was killed by her cheating husband. They all have some element of soap opera that is going to appeal to a mass audience. I can see the anger about the LaToyia Figueroa case but single mother killed by ex boyfriend isn't exactly ratings material and that's how the media works.

Tell me more.

I agree with him, if by "big" you mean "gets tons of media exposure." "Big" news is largely manufactured by news outlets- unless it's something that happens to go viral through social media, and good luck with that one regarding a missing persons case.

This isn't an accident, and just another way that broadcast and cable news are fucking pathetic.

edit: you can also throw "hot white female teacher is fucking her student" in this pile as well. plenty of ugly teachers are fucking their students, but no one cares. plenty of men are fucking their students, but those guys are portrayed significantly differently by the media.

numble

Laci Petersen was killed by her cheating husband. They all have some element of soap opera that is going to appeal to a mass audience. I can see the anger about the LaToyia Figueroa case but single mother killed by ex boyfriend isn't exactly ratings material and that's how the media works.
There was a lot of attention to Laci Peterson when she was just a missing person.

The kid in the picture is a child beauty queen. Holloway was a beautiful young woman killed in a foreign country, Laci Petersen was killed by her cheating husband. They all have some element of soap opera that is going to appeal to a mass audience. I can see the anger about the LaToyia Figueroa case but single mother killed by ex boyfriend isn't exactly ratings material and that's how the media works.

You don't think black girls who go missing might be in beauty pageants? You don't think black women are killed and dumped by cheating and abusive husbands?

You don't think black girls who go missing might be in beauty pageants? You don't think black women are killed and dumped by cheating and abusive husbands?

I'm struggling with the "woman killed by cheating husband" is news, but "woman killed by vengeful ex boyfriend" is "fuck that, we've seen this one before."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom