• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

64,000 Missing Women in America All Have One Important Thing in Common

Status
Not open for further replies.

hokahey

I'd be very curious the type of neighborhoods most of these women lived in. Point being, I'd suspect most crimes in heavily impoverished areas aren't seen as big as news stories because there is so much crime there to begin with.

Not to say there isn't a racial element at play here, but when race is automatically assumed as the only factor in circumstances where other factors may be contributing it becomes a bit like "the boy who cried wolf", which is detrimental to the overall cause.

I'm struggling with the "woman killed by cheating husband" is news, but "woman killed by vengeful ex boyfriend" is "fuck that, we've seen this one before."

Black women just get killed all boring like or something. Let's argue anything but the race angle no matter how incredibly stupid.

Slayven

Most serial killers int he north west go undiscovered for a long time because they target minorities. At least that is what serial killer documentaries taught me.

Infinite

As far as I know missing persons are most of the time runaways regardless of race. Poverty and history of abuse play a more important role in that.

This is kinda true but when cops when you stamp the runaway label on a case like thos it means they'll do a fraction of the police works

I'd be very curious the type of neighborhoods most of these women lived in. Point being, I'd suspect most crimes in heavily impoverished areas aren't seen as big as news stories because there is so much crime there to begin with.

Not to say there isn't a racial element at play here, but when race is automatically assumed as the only factor in circumstances where other factors may be contributing it becomes a bit like "the boy who cried wolf", which is detrimental to the overall cause.

Being absolutely, totally, 100% real for a second-

you're right here to a degree. there's no dancing around it. The media shares a lot of blame, attitudes share a lot of blame, but at the end of the day black americans are overwhelmingly overrepresented in high-crime areas and within the criminal justice system.

Racism has a lot to do with that, structural inequality has a lot to do with that, but you can't really be surprised that more black americans are going missing when we're heavily concentrated in urban warzones.

gdt

This is kinda true but when cops when you stamp the runaway label on a case like thos it means they'll do a fraction of the police works

Young girls go missing alllll the time in the neighborhood where I work. At least once a month a mother will come and ask if they can post missing children flyers on the doors (yeah, of course they can).

Cops live inside my store practically ( it's a police substation with a police office in the back) and every time without fail the missing kids are always runaways to the cops. All the beat cops who see the sign already know about the missing kid (they get briefed on that stuff if it's in their district) and the conclusion is always runaway. 99% of the kids are teen girls of course.

A good chunk of the time the parents come back and take down signs and say thanks. Yes, indeed my teenage daughter ran away with some dude who was pounding her out, then they start to miss home.

Just some anecdotal info. For certain neighborhoods, the first thought is indeed runaway, and from my experience that's mostly correct.

You don't think black girls who go missing might be in beauty pageants? You don't think black women are killed and dumped by cheating and abusive husbands?

I don't know about the first. Do you have any examples of black child beauty queens that went missing and didn't receive media attention? Or beautiful young black women killed in a foreign country that didn't?

I think black women are killed and dumped by cheating husbands, yes. Some of them may be pregnant. A lot of white women don't get the same media attention as Petersen either though. I'm saying the Laci Petersen case had factors that made it stand out and the media jumped on it.

Infinite

Young girls go missing alllll the time in the neighborhood where I work. At least once a month a mother will come and ask if they can post missing children flyers on the doors (yeah, of course they can).

Cops live inside my store practically ( it's a police substation with a police office in the back) and every time without fail the missing kids are always runaways to the cops. All the beat cops who see the sign already know about the missing kid (they get briefed on that stuff if it's in their district) and the conclusion is always runaway. 99% of the kids are teen girls of course.

A good chunk of the time the parents come back and take down signs and say thanks. Yes, indeed my teenage daughter ran away with some dude who was pounding her out, then they start to miss home.

Just some anecdotal info. For certain neighborhoods, the first thought is indeed runaway, and from my experience that's mostly correct.

I can give you anecdotes of people I know personally who went missing but the cops did next to nothing because they already knew it was a runaway it their mines.

It's bullshit man.

way more

I swear to God that someday someone is going to make the argument that slavery wasn't predicated on racism but on a lack of socio-political capital and bad African parenting.

Jado

Banned
Not disagreeing, but if you think about it they don't give much of a shit about ugly white girls, either. Or obese any-person, if they're not already famous or a bigshot around town. When was the last time you saw the national media focused on a missing white girl named Tonya who was last seen turning tricks and crashing at a meth house in Cincinnati? Or Shelly the 400lb secretary who didn't come to work one day?

If you're beautiful and missing, Nancy Grace might get on it.

Black women from all walks of life = ugly white girls, morbidly obese, meth addicts and prostitutes. Oh okay.

I'm struggling with the "woman killed by cheating husband" is news, but "woman killed by vengeful ex boyfriend" is "fuck that, we've seen this one before."

No difference at all. Just another person who bought the media spin that white women kidnappings are exciting, but black women's are boring.

Why is any of this relevant?

hokahey

Being absolutely, totally, 100% real for a second-

you're right here to a degree. there's no dancing around it. The media shares a lot of blame, attitudes share a lot of blame, but at the end of the day black americans are overwhelmingly overrepresented in high-crime areas and within the criminal justice system.

Racism has a lot to do with that, structural inequality has a lot to do with that, but you can't really be surprised that more black americans are going missing when we're heavily concentrated in urban warzones.

For those asking why my point is relevant, read this response from someone who actually considered the point without assuming it's antithetical to your PC agenda.

It doesn't make it right, but it's a deeper consideration. And ultimately it's indicative of an even larger issue than simple racism.

hokahey

It's relevant cause they want to give excuses to police officers to not do police work.

Oh for God's sake. Is critical thinking that difficult? What a ridiculous and insulting accusation. You're not fighting the cause. You're fighting strawmen. That does no one any favors.

Bodacious

Banned
Black women from all walks of life = ugly white girls, morbidly obese, meth addicts and prostitutes. Oh okay.

That's an interesting interpretation of what I said. Perhaps you missed the part where I said, "Not disagreeing..." My point was that you're probably going to be disregarded by the media unless you're white & attractive. And having rich parents who 'know people' helps quite a bit too. Black women are disregarded, as are a whole lot of others who don't fit the profile.

Jado

Banned
That's an interesting interpretation of what I said. Perhaps you missed the part where I said, "Not disagreeing..." My point was that you're probably going to be disregarded by the media unless you're white & attractive. And having rich parents who 'know people' helps quite a bit too. Black women are disregarded, as are a whole lot of others who don't fit the profile.

You could have compared the lack of adequate media coverage that missing black women receive by bringing up relevant examples of similar minority groups in their position. Instead you made the common mistake of comparing an oft-maligned group to the worst examples you could think up, including an insanely fat woman, a whore and and a heavy drug user. There's nothing wrong with a woman who happens to be overweight or makes a living as a sex worker or has an addiction problem. But your comically poor examples, and the way you presented them in the same light to all black women, are offensive and ridiculous.

Whether intended or not, there is a history of "well-meaning" people who blithely make demeaning comparisons in order to make some point in a discussion (sometimes see it on GAF too). Examples such as comparing black men as a group to murderers and violent criminals, trans women to the disfigured and mentally ill, gays to rapists and child molesters, bisexuals to sex addicts and perverts, women to prostitutes.

Here's one such recent example, slyly asking the reader to mentally draw a connection between a murdered black teen and a rapist or killer.
I realize you have an agenda, but isn't the "child" stuff a bit much?

If a 17 year old had ever raped or killed someone you loved, would you call them a child?

Infinite

Oh for God's sake. Is critical thinking that difficult? What a ridiculous and insulting accusation. You're not fighting the cause. You're fighting strawmen. That does no one any favors.
Police shouldn't deem every reported missing person as a runaway and then not even do police work. If you don't see that this is a problem don't bother quoting me.

V_Arnold

Already said this in another thread today, but news networks are fucking vultures.

And the problem is EASILY solvable. Subscribe, buy, etc. Do not let the advertisers be the gods of the media. That leads to the heavily perverted (in a non-sexual way) media that is nowadays. When the ratings matter more than the content that is used to achieve it, you know that the situation is fucked.

Joni

Good work of the Black and Missing Foundation whose work should hopefully lead to better work by the police, bad work on the article for forgetting the 71.000 black men that were also forgotten by mainstream media and now even don't matter to Atlanta Black Star and MIC.

The number of missing and not reported is just the media doesn't care. It doesn't tend to make the news. Its racism that the media does this? Hard to say.

Take for example serial killers and the victims of serial killers. Blacks make up 14% of the US pop but represent over 50% of serial killers. Percentage of blacks as serial killer victims is about 25%. More then the percentage of population should represent. Yet you never hear about the black serial killers or their victims in the media. Leading to dumb asses to proclaim that blacks are never serial killers.

Radford University and Florida Gulf Coast University partnered to create a serial killer database with such stat as race of serial killers, victims, gender and other stats such as how many serial killers per decade in the US versus the rest of the world.

U.S. Serial Killers
Percentage by Race and Decade

Decade White Black Hispanic Asian Native American
1900 66.7 33.3 0.0 0.0 0.0
1910 44.8 55.2 0.0 0.0 0.0
1920 70.0 30.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
1930 58.6 41.4 0.0 0.0 0.0
1940 65.5 27.6 3.4 0.0 3.4
1950 78.7 21.3 0.0 0.0 0.0
1960 70.3 27.1 0.6 0.0 1.9
1970 62.4 32.9 3.4 0.4 0.9
1980 55.5 35.5 6.8 0.5 1.7
1990 43.1 48.0 7.1 1.8 0.0
2000 32.4 59.6 6.9 0.7 0.4
2010 32.8 59.7 7.5 0.0 0.0

Problem with the Typical profile of a serial killer.

Characteristic Percent
Male 92.16%
White 52.62%
Mid-to-late twenties 26.89%
White, male 46.12%
White, male, mid-to-late twenties 12.72%

In fact most people would be surprised that the average IQ of a serial killer is 94.1. Yet the the public thinks every serial killer is some sort of genius.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Source

Numbers don't lie
The media reporting of this is kind of irrelevant. I mean could you even name 100 of the approximately 200000 white/hispanic people have gone missing this year already? The fact is no-one gives a crap about the vast majority of these people regardless of race.

The number of missing and not reported is just the media doesn't care. It doesn't tend to make the news. Its racism that the media does this? Hard to say.

Take for example serial killers and the victims of serial killers. Blacks make up 14% of the US pop but represent over 50% of serial killers. Percentage of blacks as serial killer victims is about 25%. More then the percentage of population should represent. Yet you never hear about the black serial killers or their victims in the media. Leading to dumb asses to proclaim that blacks are never serial killers.

Radford University and Florida Gulf Coast University partnered to create a serial killer database with such stat as race of serial killers, victims, gender and other stats such as how many serial killers per decade in the US versus the rest of the world.

U.S. Serial Killers
Percentage by Race and Decade

Decade White Black Hispanic Asian Native American
1900 66.7 33.3 0.0 0.0 0.0
1910 44.8 55.2 0.0 0.0 0.0
1920 70.0 30.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
1930 58.6 41.4 0.0 0.0 0.0
1940 65.5 27.6 3.4 0.0 3.4
1950 78.7 21.3 0.0 0.0 0.0
1960 70.3 27.1 0.6 0.0 1.9
1970 62.4 32.9 3.4 0.4 0.9
1980 55.5 35.5 6.8 0.5 1.7
1990 43.1 48.0 7.1 1.8 0.0
2000 32.4 59.6 6.9 0.7 0.4
2010 32.8 59.7 7.5 0.0 0.0

Problem with the Typical profile of a serial killer.

Characteristic Percent
Male 92.16%
White 52.62%
Mid-to-late twenties 26.89%
White, male 46.12%
White, male, mid-to-late twenties 12.72%

In fact most people would be surprised that the average IQ of a serial killer is 94.1. Yet the the public thinks every serial killer is some sort of genius.

Which is why no one believes serial killers are black. Racism working in blacks favor for once.

Gotta suck to be stereotyped as serial killers, such struggle.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Tell me more.
Every pretty white girl that is abducted is not made into a big story. Every big missing kid story is just about a pretty white girl. I thought it was an important enough point to make but just made it ambiguously apparently.

Meaning the media only seem to care about pretty white girls, but not all pretty white girls. They seem to have other weird criteria as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom