• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
My controller only took 2 days to be shipped to the service center. Hopefully I'll have my replacement by the end of next week.

moai

launch ps4 here, no issues with the sticks peeling because i covered them with some caps that i bought, but im having some weird issues with the left stick on my ds4. playing bf the character just stops running, then keeps going very slowly, then stops. in the menus it does the same when pressing up, it stops and some seconds later keeps going up.
really crappy build quality on the ds4.

LAM09

Got my new controller from Sony today. It is clear to see that the analogy sticks are made of something else, and feel quite slippery. I will have to play with it for a bit, and see what it is like.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Will Amazon replace my controller for free, or is the warranty expired (had PS4 since launch)

I think it's a year? 2-3 months after launch, I contacted Amazon because I didn't want to send my only controller for a couple of weeks to Sony and they sent me a new one for free.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I think it's a year? 2-3 months after launch, I contacted Amazon because I didn't want to send my only controller for a couple of weeks to Sony and they sent me a new one for free.

Does your new controller have the same problem?

I'd hate to be sent a replacement only to have the same issue. Guess I'll contact them.

MDSLKTR

After trying the kontrolfreeks extensively over the destiny beta: I don't like them. They're too elevated, gets awkward on the thumbs since you have to stretch them and the perfect resistance of the vanilla sticks is nonexistent. Disappointing.

LAM09

The new analogy sticks have very little grip, and I haven't seen any grips that could do the job. Not sure what to do to be fair.

Did the top rubber piece of your DS4 sticks split? I'm trying to figure out if you remove the old rubber tops before putting these new ones on.

Looks like it's cheaper to order those than send in my DS4 plus I won't be out a controller.

No, mine was just starting to peel off a little bit on the top, so I decided to protect the sticks to prevent further damage. I don't think you should remove the old rubber. If the rubber is split open, then I would suggest you have your controller replaced.

The new analogy sticks have very little grip, and I haven't seen any grips that could do the job. Not sure what to do to be fair.

get the Xbone sticks. the ridge helps tremendously with that problem. my old DS4 grips would get slippery after playing for a while.

Such crap. Does anyone know a location for legit XB1 thumbsticks. I don't want knockoffs. I actually prefer the taller sticks. I am always hitting melee by accident by clicking in the right stick. Also find it easier to sprint on the taller XB1 sticks.

im not sure if it's legit but I got mine from E-mods on amazon and they seem great so far. they probably are knockoffs as they're shipped from China but my batch had no wiggle, or any problems so far.

emods storefront.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/node/index...XLOWP3SJ&merchant=A5BBJXLOWP3SJ&redirect=true

JGBtypeR

get the Xbone sticks. the ridge helps tremendously with that problem. my old DS4 grips would get slippery after playing for a while.

im not sure if it's legit but I got mine from E-mods on amazon and they seem great so far. they probably are knockoffs as they're shipped from China but my batch had no wiggle, or any problems so far.

emods storefront.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/node/index...XLOWP3SJ&merchant=A5BBJXLOWP3SJ&redirect=true

I got the 4 pack from e-Mods. I'm not sure if they're 100% legit either, but look and feel just like the ones on my xbone controller.
I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

LAM09

I didn't want to have to do this with my new controller already, but I think I will have to. I will probably get some from a eBay seller that someone mentioned.

biteren

my sticks came and are installed!!! not bad, not bad at all

26f0b3240ef536126baac95d4e55158c.png

the quality is pretty good, i diddnt notice the diffrence at all during gameplay, so satisfied!

also qick note! when taking apart your DS4 please be mindful of the triggers! when they detach theres a good chance you could loose the spring inside!!!

DoomGyver

I caved and ordered two pairs of xbox one sticks. Ridiculous considering the controllers aren't even a year old. Can't stand the peel.

Cess007

So, the rubber from my DS4 sticks finally decided to start to peel. So, i'm asking here, where do i have to write/call to ask for a change? We're still in the 1-year warranty, right?

Coreda

I was considering a DS4 as a PC controller but from reading here it sounds as though I would eventually have to replace the sticks with Xbox sticks due to peeling?

Already had peeling issues with my current mouse even after an RMA so I'm hesitant to be buying yet another faulty product, but in other ways it seems like it could be a decent controller.

biteren

I was considering a DS4 as a PC controller but from reading here it sounds as though I would eventually have to replace the sticks with Xbox sticks due to peeling?

Already had peeling issues with my current mouse even after an RMA so I'm hesitant to be buying yet another faulty product, but in other ways it seems like it could be a decent controller.

the reports of the newer batches of ps4 controllers supposedly have better durability, but nothing concrete. i had a launch ps4 so i got the peeling aswell (albet not as bad).

to be honest with my controller in its peeling state diddnt impact my gaming performance, it just made it feel uncomfortable being as it was slick.

but if you dont feel confident about the controller go ahead and wait until the issue is nearly gone, this was one of the prices i payed for being a day one adopter.

the ps4 controller really is great, id go as far as to say its a jack-of-all-trades, it be a shame if Sony were to overlook this issue.

Is there any way to see on the box if you are buying a second gen controller in the store? I know the serials are different but its impossible looking through that plastic is you got a new model or not. The model number on the old ones is CUH-ZCT1U 10037 (which is also in the SKU.

Sony shipped off my replacement controller yesterday. Here's hopping it doesn't have crap sticks again.

I'll post some photos when it gets here, if the rubber is improved.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I just got my controller back. It's a brand new one and there are some differences. The rubber on the sticks is different, similar to the feel of the DS3's. The directional pad and face buttons seem to be more matte. The body of the controller is also more of a flat black and less glossy now.

Guymelef

I just got my controller back. It's a brand new one and there are some differences. The rubber on the sticks is different, similar to the feel of the DS3's. The directional pad and face buttons seem to be more matte. The body of the controller is also more of a flat black and less glossy now.

Can you post pics? Thanks.

Is the sticker on the back the same? I hated how easily the thing wore down to white. Can barely read the serial number on mine.

That's almost precisely how i described mine when i got it.

It also felt more "solid". (The old one creaked a bit if slightly twisted).

daveo42

Banned
For those of you that sent in controllers for replacement, did you go though Sony Customer Service to get that set up? I'm thinking of replacing my launch controller that came with the console as both sticks are starting to show some pitting.

LAM09

For those of you that sent in controllers for replacement, did you go though Sony Customer Service to get that set up? I'm thinking of replacing my launch controller that came with the console as both sticks are starting to show some pitting.

You have to phone CS to get it set up.

So, the rubber from my DS4 sticks finally decided to start to peel. So, i'm asking here, where do i have to write/call to ask for a change? We're still in the 1-year warranty, right?

it will still be covered under the 1-year but you should ask yourself if it's worth it right now. you might end up with the same problem a few months down the road if the sticks start to peel again. some people have ended up paying more on shipping their controllers back to Sony instead of ordering a bundle of replacement sticks.

I'm not going to trust what Sony does until they actually admit to the problem and prove it's been fixed.

LAM09

How do you find the grip on the analogy sticks?

Guymelef

Another quick question, what model number has the DS4?

Got a new DS4 today. My old one started giving problems on left stick, not the rubber but actual input. Sometimes it wouldn't register forward movement, and sometimes it would actually make my character go backwards. Also clicking L3 to sprint failed about half the time. Got fed up and finally pulled the trigger on new one. I think this is the first time I had to throw away a dualshock controller because it was faulty, and OOR console so no warranty.

They're fine. Not as grippy as the older material, but my thumbs have yet to slip off them.

CUH-ZCT1U, the same as my other controller that is wearing / peeling.

Please report back after a few weeks. I received one of these different texture analog stick controllers in February as a replacement to a rapidly wearing launch ds4. No tearing on mine, but mild use has really worn down the texture of the sticks. Will be interested to see if your experience is any different.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Please report back after a few weeks. I received one of these different texture analog stick controllers in February as a replacement to a rapidly wearing launch ds4. No tearing on mine, but mild use has really worn down the texture of the sticks. Will be interested to see if your experience is any different.

If they wear down I'll post it here.

Everyone should be advised about the triggers when opening up the controller to replace the sticks. Try to keep the triggers attached to the housing of the controller, or else you might lose the spring that adds tension to the triggers. They aren't necessary and I haven't noticed it during gameplay, but they're definitely looser without the little spring.

Santar

It's already starting to wear down even on the new sticks? Geez Sony....

Well there is a difference on the FCC numbers on the actual controllers. The new ones are AK8CUHZCT1F1 and the old ones are AK8CUHZCT1.

Not that can help anyone walking into a store to try and buy one.

Destiny Beta got both my launch DS4's peelin'.

So I can contact Sony's customer service for repair, or order Xbox One replacement sticks and install them myself?

Top Bottom