• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Xbox One

tmtyf

I got it sans the Kinect, I tried it Kinect at the store felt really frustrated trying to control it, went for the other bundle which gave me Fifa 15, Froza 5, Spartan Assault, Lococycle, Max...

Anyway my gripe is the download and installation times for games....Having fun with Ryse and looking out for DR3 now...

kind of curious how it was frustrating for you when you were trying to use it. I can definitely see trying to use your hands to select stuff frustrating but the voice commands to zip through all menus has been spot on for me.

m23

Feels like a waste that Forza Horizon 2 goes down to 30fps, takes away the feeling of premium quality, it's just NFS with another name really.

There is a huge difference between Horizon and Nfs. Car physics and mechanics are completely different. Imagine Forza 5 mechanics in an open world. Need for Speed doesn't come close when it comes to that.

Got my Xbone. I thought it was supposed to be quiet, but whenever it's turned on it makes this weird, almost creaking-like noise. It's not very loud, but it is very annoying. Is that normal, or is something wrong with it?

FLiP2345

Banned
Xbox one is awesome imo.
As much as some people hated kinect I love it. It makes navigation much easier and switching between things hands free is cool.
What I like about it is it's more than just the gaming console. I know other people wish it was just straight gaming machine but I like the all in one living room experience.

Snapping sounds cool at first but is almost worthless imo. Barely touch it.

Download times suck but if it's on instant on mode you can just turn off the console and go out to do something else until it's done.

Controller is great imo outside the rb and lb buttons which are still manageable.

Suspend/resume feature is awesome. I can switch between a game and sports or any TV show and just get back to it later.

Fox Mulder

Got my Xbone. I thought it was supposed to be quiet, but whenever it's turned on it makes this weird, almost creaking-like noise. It's not very loud, but it is very annoying. Is that normal, or is something wrong with it?

mine made some horrific weird noise when I bought it, but that seems to have gone away or I don't notice it anymore.

kodecraft

Xbox one is awesome imo.
As much as some people hated kinect I love it. It makes navigation much easier and switching between things hands free is cool.
What I like about it is it's more than just the gaming console. I know other people wish it was just straight gaming machine but I like the all in one living room experience.

Snapping sounds cool at first but is almost worthless imo. Barely touch it.

Download times suck but if it's on instant on mode you can just turn off the console and go out to do something else until it's done.

Controller is great imo outside the rb and lb buttons which are still manageable.

Suspend/resume feature is awesome. I can switch between a game and sports or any TV show and just get back to it later.

I can't support this enough, XB1 + Kinect is what I want in a gaming console, better yet an entertainment hub. This console only can get better with time.

jesu

Forza 5 looks and plays absolutely lovely. It's not nearly in the same league as Driveclub on PS4 visually, or even NFS Rivals, but OMG 60fps needs to be in more racing games this generation because it reeeally makes a difference. First HD 60fps racer this gen and omg I love it! :D Feels like a waste that Forza Horizon 2 goes down to 30fps, takes away the feeling of premium quality, it's just NFS with another name really.

I felt the opposite about Forza's framerate, can't say I noticed much difference between F5 and NFS Rivals when I was playing them yesterday.

SimonM7

It seems very widespread - to the point where it's about to redefine what's "normal", I guess. But no, it's not supposed to sound like that. There's a big thread about it on xbox forums. I'm getting a replacement on Monday, but I don't expect it to be issue free, either. Gonna send it in for repairs when I've at least played some of the "launch" games.

Aforementioned thread:
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4269/t/1805665.aspx

iamjohn

Mine was doing the same and I sent it back to Amazon to get a replacement. The new one sounds much better. I think it's a defect.

It seems very widespread - to the point where it's about to redefine what's "normal", I guess. But no, it's not supposed to sound like that. There's a big thread about it on xbox forums. I'm getting a replacement on Monday, but I don't expect it to be issue free, either. Gonna send it in for repairs when I've at least played some of the "launch" games.

Aforementioned thread:
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4269/t/1805665.aspx

Thanks. Seems like it's a firmware issue, too. Guess I'll just wait for them to fix it, and if they don't, I can still get a replacement.

Not gonna send it back right away, I want to play Destiny first. :lol

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Suspend/Resume feature is god like. Seriously. Cant imagine how people are playing games like Diablo without this.

Chris1

Agreed, the xbox one is a great console. Really like the suspend/resume feature.

The controller grows on you, at first it feels weird but it really is that much better than the 360 controller. I picked up my 360 controller after months of using the xbox one and couldn't believe how bad it felt.

ClearData

I played Ryse at my cousin's house and had a blast. 8 hours of Roman legionare action. He asked me point blank if I wanted an Xbox One. I said yes and he sent me half the money for it. I sold a 3DS and a couple games and as of Thursday of last week I am an Xbox One owner.

My family is blown away by the TV and voice control (go figure). Instant switching from a game, Netflix, and then live TV is really damn cool.

zedge

• The system, Kinect, and power brick are fucking huuuuuuge.
  • All the games being sub 1080p is super obvious and pretty disappointing.
  • Controller battery life is great, but fuck having to buy a play and charge kit separately.
  • OS is fine, but feels slower in many places compared to the 360.
  • Decent library of pseudo console/timed exclusives.
  • Looking forward to Sunset Overdrive.
All games sub 1080? That's just false.

nillapuddin

Just woke up, turned on the Bone, and there it was

mid level in Super Time Force I had to pause and make dinner last night, ended up just turning it off, no problem, started right back where I was, absolutely incredible.

As of last night I have 22 games on my Xbox One, I dont think I had that many during the 360 generation, GWG and EA Access have really opened up my gaming suite again and I'm hugely grateful for it.

There is absolutely no way to say this system doesn't provide a killer value package right now, very happy with my purchase.

Timmay

Banned

The problem is so widespread since they released the Kinectless models that we should create a thread in the hopes of getting some visibility, because the MS guys ignore it on Twitter and their support people are clueless. This problem is blowing up on the Xbox Forums now after many people got XB1s with this problem in the European countries. A retailer claimed that every unit he got exhibited the problem. Would be nice to force MS to acknowledge the problem. It was due to this problem that I don't own an Xbox anymore and seeing how widespread it has become, I have no desire to even try to get a working model anymore.

Fredrik

It's a gorgeous game and a very short quite enjoyable one but it is exactly a simple button masher 1 weapon + Pulling spears out of your ass in an instant tech demo, there is no 2 ways about it and the reviews are spot on in my opinion. Even the multiplayer doesn't change things up.
On which difficulty? I can't agree with that summary, simply because I tried play it as a button masher at first and quite soon it was like I had walked into a wall and could get killed by simple warriors. The bosses killed me right away. It's more like a parry fighter with hidden QTE elements. Calmly parry or dodge the first attacks, open up with a shield bash and hack away to or three times, repeat until the execution attack shows, then do some strategic pressing of the right colored buttons, and use the Dpad and collect the right bonus in the mean time. Mashing gets you nowhere, at least not in soldier difficuly or above. Well you can mash away in focus mode for a while I guess, but you won't come anywhere near the end of the game like that. Haven't tried on easier difficulty.

R3TRODYCE

I played Ryse at my cousin's house and had a blast. 8 hours of Roman legionare action. He asked me point blank if I wanted an Xbox One. I said yes and he sent me half the money for it. I sold a 3DS and a couple games and as of Thursday of last week I am an Xbox One owner.

My family is blown away by the TV and voice control (go figure). Instant switching from a game, Netflix, and then live TV is really damn cool.

I wish my cousins would do things like that.

Last week I got a Xbone, I've had a ps4 since launch and so far I'm impressed. The things I love about the system so far are:

-the UI is beautiful. I heard before the UI was complicated and would be difficult to use without kinect. I found the opposite to be true. There's still much they could do with the UI and while the ps4 UI may be simpler, the Xbox UI is more attractive.

-it's whisper quiet, never hear it when it's on

-more apps, since I'm using the machine more for exclusives i might as well take advantage of the more developed media center

-last but not least Suspend/Resume. S/R is something so great u have to experience to understand its usefulness. Sometimes I can only play for 30 minutes. With S/R that's not a problem. Hell, now when my gf interrupts me I just turn the system off, knowing I'm a be right where I left it.

Now there's some thing I dislike, like the install times are damn near on ps3 levels. That and why did they use the ps3 method of have a separate step between downloading and installing? That was stupid. Also the new controller is worse than the 360 controller IMO & isn't as good as the DS4.

However Suspend/Resume has me thinking of using the console for more than exclusives, but we'll see. I'm playing Dead Rising 3 and I love it so far. The city, all the fucking zombies on screen at once. I'm having a ball. Looking to get Ryse next.

I came in not expecting much, but it's been completely worth it for me. U can add me if u wish, my GT is CaesarDrew, (started a new one) but I don't think I'm getting gold. Games with gold isn't where plus is yet and I don't play MP much.

Yep, it's a really awesome system, welcome aboard! I also started a new GT for my Xbox One. Probably did it because I wasn't a gold subscriber at all last gen outside of the rare free trial every now and then, and so I decided with the Xbox One I'm going to change that, but if I'm going to do that I might as well do so with a more recognizable gamertag. Going to add ya.

I also gotta agree with you on Suspend and Resume. There was a point early in where I was certain I'd hold off on certain multi-platform games and just get them later on PS4 or something when I eventually got around to getting one, but the feature is so nice it makes you want to have it in every possible game that you play.

Most important, the controller requires updates via settings. I also initially felt that the 360 controller might be a bit better, but after getting use to it, and especially after the updates to the controller, I really do feel like it's an improvement now, even if the RB and LB buttons take longer to get use to. Connect a micro-USB cable to the top of your controller and then connect the other end of the cable to the front USB port to the left side of your Xbox One. Update it from the system menu inside settings. There's been 2 or 3 of these since launch, and it's so much better now. System's pretty damn quiet

I'll add you now.

edit:: Strange, can't locate your GamerTag.

Aforementioned thread:

That thread is the only reason I'm waiting to buy my own. Currently borrowing my cousins but will have to return it soon. Hopefully it's worked out before the SS Overdrive bundle launches.

Ding II

I'm having a problem with my XB1 controller, and since I can't create new threads I thought I'd post here to find out if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Basically, the AA batteries are coming loose and disconnecting from their terminals, which causes the controller to shut off. The batteries are held in quite loosely by the terminals, and all I have to do is shake the controller lightly in order for one of the batteries to "fall out". (It doesn't fall all the way out of course, thanks to the battery compartment door, but it's no longer connected electrically.)

Is this happening to anyone else? It seems like the inside of the battery compartment door should have a piece of foam on it in order to help hold the batteries in place. Mine doesn't, does yours?

SimonM7

I'm having a problem with my XB1 controller, and since I can't create new threads I thought I'd post here to find out if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Basically, the AA batteries are coming loose and disconnecting from their terminals, which causes the controller to shut off. The batteries are held in quite loosely by the terminals, and all I have to do is shake the controller lightly in order for one of the batteries to "fall out". (It doesn't fall all the way out of course, thanks to the battery compartment door, but it's no longer connected electrically.)

Is this happening to anyone else? It seems like the inside of the battery compartment door should have a piece of foam on it in order to help hold the batteries in place. Mine doesn't, does yours?

This is happening with my play & charge kit on my second controller, actually. It'll just say "controller disconnected" briefly, and it comes right back. It's super annoying.

I was sending it back anyway, for a mushy left bumper. Hoping the one I receive has neither problem.

Ding II

That's interesting. I would have thought that a battery "pack" would tend to hold itself in place better than two individual AA cells. Well, maybe they do, since I have to open up the compartment and re-seat the batteries to get my controller to come on again, while it sounds like yours "fixes itself."

I suppose I should mention that I use rechargable NiMH "Eneloop" batteries in mine. I'm wondering if they might me slightly smaller (shorter) than regular AAs, which is contributing to the looseness.

The battery compartment on the 360 controllers worked perfectly. Very solid. Sometimes you really had to work at getting those batteries to come out of their shell! Too bad they had to change this aspect of the controller. (It's great, otherwise.)

p3tran

Banned

thats strange. I dont think there is a foam there, at least there was none on my 3x xbone joypads.
how about you try to pull just a little bit the metal surfaces that are to the right side? (as you look when you have the joypad inverted, and with battery cover removed)
I think that these two -that are suposedly pushing the batteries and keep them firmly in position- in your pad have been pushed back.
try pulling them a little bit out, just with your fingers. just a few mm should be more than enough.
be gentle though, you dont want to pull too hard and maybe damage these little suckers :)

edit
btw, I only use pairs of eneloops and a few pairs of sanyo 2700ni-mh , so eneloops are not the problem

Forsythia

Not gonna send it back right away, I want to play Destiny first. :lol

Same here. I already have the game preloaded, have a few days off so I'm ready to go at 0.01 CET! :)

It's annoying, but you don't hear it during gameplay. And it's less noisy with the Kinect plugged in. I will send it in, though, as exchanging it at the retailer doesn't seem to have any effect, as almost every tier 2 launch console seems to have this problem.

Most people probably think it's supposed to make that noise and won't look it up online. :/

Chris1

Mine works perfectly, play and charge kit fits in just perfect and before that the free duracells too. There's no foam on mines but the + and - pins are sticking out a bit, it sounds like maybe you've used too much force putting batteries in and pushed those pins in a bit which is making the batteries move slightly out of place with movement.

Ding II

I definitely didn't apply too much force when inserting the batteries... the terminals have always been so loose that the batteries drop into place with next to no force. I will however experiment with prying the terminals/tabs out a bit to see if that will make them grip the batteries more firmly.

I can also try folding up a paper towel or something to act as a spacer between the batteries and the door. It seems like that would hold everything in place pretty well.

Fredrik

mine made some horrific weird noise when I bought it, but that seems to have gone away or I don't notice it anymore.
Mine too. It had a chirping noise (chirp-chirp-chirp-etc) right after the initial system update but I haven't heard it since.

I couldn't ignore it though and went to the official board and read huge threads where they finally seemed to conclude that all XB1s had this or similar weird sound at the dashboard when idle, with no disc is in the drive or no app is in suspend, and it all started right after the update. The threads are still on fire though with all the new tier 2 launches. MS is clueless though and blindly tell people to send them in for repair and sends out refurbished ones, and the people that sent them away for repair all got ones without noise before the initial update but everyone started chirping again after the update. Send them in for repair again is MSs response. :p

So fortunately it seems to be a software issue. People had seen the same thing happen with 5 consoles on a row. No chirping before the update - chirping after the update. The official board's guessing is that it has to do with the power usage, and no Kinect connected, when the power usage is too low (idle at the dash with nothing suspended and no Kinect etc) a fan or something makes a weird chirping noise from running at an odd rpm or starting and stopping irregularly or something like that, and when the power usage goes up (disc in drive, Kinect connected etc) the chirping goes away.

So anyone with weird sounding consoles. Before sending the console to MS, try activating accessories and having apps on suspend or a disc in the drive and see if the noise goes away. Seems to fix the issue for most judging by the talk on the official board where there are huge threads about this.
Mine isn't chirping anymore even when idle on the dash though, but maybe it's enough for the power usage so to have wifi on or connecting two controllers and a remote? I guess it's possible that I might've missed if MS has rolled out a new update just now too if everything is updated in standby.

iamjohn

Mine too. It had a chirping noise (chirp-chirp-chirp-etc) right after the initial system update but I haven't heard it since.

I couldn't ignore it though and went to the official board and read huge threads where they finally seemed to conclude that all XB1s had this or similar weird sound at the dashboard when idle, with no disc is in the drive or no app is in suspend, and it all started right after the update. The threads are still on fire though with all the new tier 2 launches. MS is clueless though and blindly tell people to send them in for repair and sends out refurbished ones, and the people that sent them away for repair all got ones without noise before the initial update but everyone started chirping again after the update. Send them in for repair again is MSs response. :p

So fortunately it seems to be a software issue. People had seen the same thing happen with 5 consoles on a row. No chirping before the update - chirping after the update. The official board's guessing is that it has to do with the power usage, and no Kinect connected, when the power usage is too low (idle at the dash with nothing suspended and no Kinect etc) a fan or something makes a weird chirping noise from running at an odd rpm or starting and stopping irregularly or something like that, and when the power usage goes up (disc in drive, Kinect connected etc) the chirping goes away.

So anyone with weird sounding consoles. Before sending the console to MS, try activating accessories and having apps on suspend or a disc in the drive and see if the noise goes away. Seems to fix the issue for most judging by the talk on the official board where there are huge threads about this.
Mine isn't chirping anymore even when idle on the dash though, but maybe it's enough for the power usage so to have wifi on or connecting two controllers and a remote? I guess it's possible that I might've missed if MS has rolled out a new update just now too if everything is updated in standby.

Wow that's a pretty damn good explanation for it. If it is a software update then it seems like it would be pretty easy for MS to diagnose and fix.

Cheddahz

Banned
I'm posting this from another thread, but...

I have a $10 copy of Dead Rising 3 on the way (that I was going to use to trade into Gamestop for credit) , but I'm really tempted to cancel my Destiny PS4 order and go pick up the Madden Xbox One bundle today (and get Diablo 3 as my free game). I'm not even all that interested in Destiny and I really want to play Forza Horizon 2. I guess what I really want to know is what people who have a Xbox One think of it (I've played one and I've liked what I have played of it)

iamjohn

I have a $10 copy of Dead Rising 3 on the way (that I was going to use to trade into Gamestop for credit) , but I'm really tempted to cancel my Destiny PS4 order and go pick up the Madden Xbox One bundle today (and get Diablo 3 as my free game). I'm not even all that interested in Destiny and I really want to play Forza Horizon 2. I guess what I really want to know is what people who have a Xbox One think of it (I've played one and I've liked what I have played of it)

It's not as bad as the media has made it out to be. Very hard to tell a difference in resolution. Xbox Live voice clarity is amazing. Suspend and resume is great. Controller really is a huge step-up from the 360 one, which says A LOT.

Things I don't like:
-having to buy a play and charge kit separately
-having to buy a stereo headset adapter separately

p3tran

Banned
I guess what I really want to know is what people who have a Xbox One think of it (I've played one and I've liked what I have played of it)

you've been played! but lucky for you, its still early that you ..whatever that destiny perfume ad said :D

BizzyBum

Anyone else wish the Xbone (and PS4) tracked game time like the 3DS/Wii U does?

I always like to see how long I've played a game for.

arhra

Anyone else wish the Xbone (and PS4) tracked game time like the 3DS/Wii U does?

I always like to see how long I've played a game for.

Technically it does, although I forget how to find that info (I'm not even sure you can see it on the console itself; it's definitely visible somewhere in smartglass, though).

Sadly, it's buggy as hell, and will often have games you know you've played for hours listed with only a few minutes, or claim that you've played games for longer than the console has even been available.

Forsythia

Thanks for this post, as I was under the impression it might be a faulty batch. If it truly is a software issue I hope MS can provide a fix soon.

Getting an xbox one next week during the free game deal. I think I'll probably feel the same things you do, except S/R getting me to buy multiplats on it at least. I plan on it really being just for exclucives and multimedia (lets face it, PS4 is a great game console but sucks at other stuff, which is bizarre as ps3 was the best all rounder last gen, the consoles really have swapped identities in every way this gen imo)

The one thing that may get me to buy some multiplats on xbone instead is the better online network. I might buy multiplayer focused games on xbone instead. The problem is my friends circle is split between the two consoles, so some MP games I'll probably still find i have more friends wanting to play it on PS4 then Xbone. So I'll just have to wing it I guess. I am looking at having two Destiny accounts now though, oh boy. I really wish they were cross-platform (not to play together but just to transfer over the characters).

Chris1

Technically it does, although I forget how to find that info (I'm not even sure you can see it on the console itself; it's definitely visible somewhere in smartglass, though).

Sadly, it's buggy as hell, and will often have games you know you've played for hours listed with only a few minutes, or claim that you've played games for longer than the console has even been available.

You need to compare a certain game with a friend and it'll tell you how much time you've played, but yeah it's buggy and not accurate at all.

I'd say go for it, it sounds like you prefer the XB1 exclusives, not that bothered whether you get a PS4 or not, are getting the better deal and liked what you played of it. I really like my Xbox One but I don't have a PS4 so I'm not sure how it compares, but it does everything I want it to do except for DLNA which is coming soon, has an amazing controller (it is weird at first but you get used to it, even the 360 controller feels terrible after using the XB1 controller for while). Like iamjohn, my main complaint about the xbox is having to spend even more on play and charge kits and things.

If you do switch over to XB1 remember you can get EA access and pick up NFS Rivals, FIFA, Battlefield 4, Peggle 2 for "free".

Indiedevs

Banned
They are making progress at least. It's way better than it was at launch. Now I just hope the flow of games gets better.

Sure, but it`s been taking way too long. The Xbox 360 UI was great, so they didn`t have to ruin it with the "next gen feel".

If you know you're not getting both consoles, look at the exclusives for both that are out now and coming in the future, and make your decision based on that. Ultimately that should be the deciding factor, as all the other games are very similar on both consoles.

Sure, but it`s been taking way too long. The Xbox 360 UI was great, so they didn`t have to ruin it with the "next gen feel".

Do you have an XB1?

Cheddahz

Banned
Bw9R_rqIMAAaFIC.jpg

I ended up going to Gamestop and cancelling my Destiny PS4 bundle and exchanging my copy of Wolfenstein I had gotten for the PS4 and I walked out with all of this (and I had enough money from the pre-order to pay off Forza Horizon 2)

zedge

Bw9R_rqIMAAaFIC.jpg

I ended up going to Gamestop and cancelling my Destiny PS4 bundle and exchanging my copy of Wolfenstein I had gotten for the PS4 and I walked out with all of this (and I had enough money from the pre-order to pay off Forza Horizon 2)

Nice, enjoy! Looking forward to Horizon 2.

Top Bottom