• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Xbox One

Hawk269

Well, I am all set up without a hitch and have been messing around with voice commands. It has recognized me no problem so far and it actually feels pretty amazing navigating the system and changing channels with my voice. Installing Ryse right now and that is pretty much going to be the main event for me tonight.

Play Ryse on Centurion difficulty. On Normal, it feels too much like a button masher and you don't have to use all of your offense and defense arsenal. It is such a better game on Centurion than on Normal. It is challenging however, but much more rewarding.

I figure this is a good place to ask.

I got the Ultra Edition of KI yesterday and I was playing versus my GF. We were both signed into our GTs but only Player One (me) got achievements. Win as Fulgore, Win as Spinal, etc.

We switched and she was Player One and she was able to get achievements but I (P2) wasn't able too.

Is this a system wide thing or is it only KI?

Well, I am all set up without a hitch and have been messing around with voice commands. It has recognized me no problem so far and it actually feels pretty amazing navigating the system and changing channels with my voice. Installing Ryse right now and that is pretty much going to be the main event for me tonight.
As long as you calibrate it on initial set up by cranking the volume up to almost war shatterig levels on the TV, and you don't have much of an accent, I find the commands to be pretty damn accurate.

Enjoy Ryse! As others said, start off on Centurion mode, it's a little more challenging and the best way I play it until you unlock Legendary (need to beat the game)

ironcreed

Banned
As long as you calibrate it on initial set up by cranking the volume up to almost war shatterig levels on the TV, and you don't have much of an accent, I find the commands to be pretty damn accurate.

Enjoy Ryse! As others said, start off on Centurion mode, it's a little more challenging and the best way I play it until you unlock Legendary (need to beat the game)

Yeah, I turned my volume up to about 95 because of this thread, lol. Must have worked.

Can't wait to finally play Ryse, but right now I am waiting on the install screen while watching TV. It's taking awhile.

Damn near at the end of DR3, but I haven't got bored of it yet. Most games I'm ready for them to b done. Not yet with DR3

Play Ryse on Centurion difficulty. On Normal, it feels too much like a button masher and you don't have to use all of your offense and defense arsenal. It is such a better game on Centurion than on Normal. It is challenging however, but much more rewarding.

Just ordered Ryse & this is what I've been hearing. This is the route I'll prolly go since a majority of the games i play.

Overall im enjoying the console and don't have any buyers remorse.

ironcreed

Banned
Holy shit at Ryse. It looks even better than I was prepared for. Just absolutely jaw dropping and made me realize how dated last-gen really was. Fun to play, too.

But just on a side note here. If this is what the Xbox One can do at launch, then it will be more than fine. Man, it's been far too long since I have had that jump to next-gen moment where you are gobsmacked by the leap. Feels good.

TrueGrime

Holy shit at Ryse. It looks even better than I was prepared for. Just absolutely jaw dropping and made me realize how dated last-gen really was. Fun to play, too.

But just on a side note here. If this is what the Xbox One can do at launch, then it will be more than fine. Man, it's been far too long since I have had that jump to next-gen moment where you are gobsmacked by the leap. Feels good.

Welcome to the family! Given the reviews, Ryse was a surprise gem to me. Just wait until you start tinkering with multiplayer and getting into the arena.

Sydle

Exactly what I thought and several of my friends echoed back at launch after seeing Ryse in person. Just wait until you get to some of the later levels, it just keeps getting better.

Can't wait to see what 343 and Black Tusk pull off.

Rembrandt

Banned
Damn near at the end of DR3, but I haven't got bored of it yet. Most games I'm ready for them to b done. Not yet with DR3

Just ordered Ryse & this is what I've been hearing. This is the route I'll prolly go since a majority of the games i play.

Overall im enjoying the console and don't have any buyers remorse.

yeah, Centurion mode is really the only way to play it. It's not overly difficult, but it's not extremely easy either. I found the multiplayer to be surprisingly fun, too. I thought I would be a lot more disappointed by how everyone was talking, but it's worth a cheap purchase.

ironcreed

Banned
Man, the Xbox One is just plain awesome. I love the hell out of how everything is integrated on this system. I really don't get the complaints at all. Baffled by them, really. Oh, and I can't even tell the damn thing is on it's so quiet. Love it.

malfcn

I got lost in DR3. It was super fun just decimating swarms of undead. The season pass is pretty jank, adds a few formulaic stories. Kill/collect, drive and that's about it.

Ryse didn't deserve the tar and feathers it received. The gameplay did get repetitive, but I still had a ton of fun with it. Graphics were gorgeous (unless you scrutinize for lod popping). Definitely play on as hard as possible for a challenge.

Killer Instinct gives your controller, especially the dpad a good work out.

Once you figure out the quirks of the ui and controller the experience is great. Sure the bumpers take some time getting used to, but picking up a 360 pad feels foreign afterwards.

ironcreed

Banned
Once you figure out the quirks of the ui and controller the experience is great. Sure the bumpers take some time getting used to, but picking up a 360 pad feels foreign afterwards.

I actually feel like this controller was tailor made for me. The sticks were loosened up a tad and got rid of the stiffness I was not fond of. The d-pad has this amazingly responsive clickable quality and the bumper layout is designed for clicking with the inside of my index fingers, while my finger tips rest on the triggers. That is precisely how I hold a controller and it just fits like a glove.

Piggus

I'm very excited to get my hands on Sunset Overdrive. In the meantime, I'm playing Valiant Hearts on my Xbox One. Welcome to the club OP, it's a great little console with an even greater future.

The Xbone is a lot of things but little isn't one of them lol

RobbieNick

I just wanted to throw my hat into the "Ryse is awesome" pool here. Best looking new gen game IMO and the "Arkham City-like" gameplay never gets old for me. Story is surprisingly good too. Although I am getting damn sick and tired of seeing the long-haired fat barbarian with the shield. It's like a 16-bit brawler where the same character keeps showing up.

Although I hate, hate HATE the fact that updates are not done in the background, this system is really turning me around on it. I....I may like it more than my PS4! Part of that is due to the fact that I can play Ryse while watching WWE Network at the exact same time! My ADD side is very satiated. The other fact is that there are more exclusives for XB1 I'm interested in over PS4.

Leyasu

Banned
Ryse was a great brawler with amazing graphics. The game was unfairly crucified in the reviews IMO.

As to the system itself... Just make sure that next Xbox is not built around a fucking camera Microsoft.

Everdred

I finally picked one up about 10 hours ago. I'm a bit underwhelmed so far by the OS and console itself. The OS is quite sluggish with noticeable lag quite frequently. Just snapping achievements while playing Killer Instinct lagged like hell. Everything is slow; loading apps, installing games, navigating. I much prefer the Playstation 4 OS.

I tried to calibrate the Kinect like everyone said, with noise in the background but it just doesn't want to take my commands 30% of the time. I tried it with silence too. I have no problem with Google Now and Cortana so I'm a bit disappointed by that. The reason I got one with a Kinect was so my wife would use Xbox Fitness, hopefully that's good.

With all the negative out of the way, its about games. I'm enjoying Forza, Killer Instinct and Max right now. Really looking forward to some classic Halo action later this year. When I'm not playing games I don't like it but Microsoft has a lot of studios and franchises I love so I couldn't resist.

iso135

Loving everything about my new XB1 so far. Still having a few problems with Kinect picking up my voice commands. But it works for the most part. My favorite thing so far is Xbox Pause, Xbox Play in Netflix. Also the ability to say Xbox Go To Netflix and then right back to Titanfall when I am done. The problem is I am too late! There are already too many games I want to play. Titanfall will keep me busy until Destiny, and then Halo MCC after that. I still need to find time for Ryse, DR3, and Sunset Overdrive at a minimum.

ironcreed, I'm sure you've already done this, but download Max and Guacamelee if you have Gold. Max is an amazing little gem that sadly got overlooked at launch. I think Halo: SA might still be free too, not sure though.

I just wanted to throw my hat into the "Ryse is awesome" pool here. Best looking new gen game IMO and the "Arkham City-like" gameplay never gets old for me. Story is surprisingly good too. Although I am getting damn sick and tired of seeing the long-haired fat barbarian with the shield. It's like a 16-bit brawler where the same character keeps showing up.

Although I hate, hate HATE the fact that updates are not done in the background, this system is really turning me around on it. I....I may like it more than my PS4! Part of that is due to the fact that I can play Ryse while watching WWE Network at the exact same time! My ADD side is very satiated. The other fact is that there are more exclusives for XB1 I'm interested in over PS4.

If I could pick one truly disappointing thing about Ryse, this is it. Sadly, there are only a handful of enemy types, and throughout the game they all look exactly the same. It's a shame they couldn't change their appearance somehow. I know DR3 claims to not have one zombie be alike, I think that would have helped with Ryse. Otherwise, I agree, the game is flipping beautiful, pretty good story, decent combat if playing on higher difficulty, awesome executions, pretty darn fun multiplayer arenas, ect. Definitely didn't deserve to be beat-up at launch.

I bought my Xbox One last week. Mainly going to be using it for the Masterchief Collection and Halo 5 (along with any other exclusives that peak my interest), everything else I will be sticking with my PS4.

I've got to admit though, it feels like one of the worst consoles I have ever owned. The downloading/installing especially has given me nothing but trouble with things pausing randomly and switching to other items in the queue or installs just failing completely. The fixes I found on the net consisted of mainly cancelling the install, disconnecting the Xbox from the Internet, installing the game then logging back on so I can download the required patches. Rediculous.

I dont regret buying it as it was simply for a few exclusives but if I was planning on using this as my main console I would be pissed.

Footos22

ironcreed, I'm sure you've already done this, but download Max and Guacamelee if you have Gold. Max is an amazing little gem that sadly got overlooked at launch. I think Halo: SA might still be free too, not sure though.

If I could pick one truly disappointing thing about Ryse, this is it. Sadly, there are only a handful of enemy types, and throughout the game they all look exactly the same. It's a shame they couldn't change their appearance somehow. I know DR3 claims to not have one zombie be alike, I think that would have helped with Ryse. Otherwise, I agree, the game is flipping beautiful, pretty good story, decent combat if playing on higher difficulty, awesome executions, pretty darn fun multiplayer arenas, ect. Definitely didn't deserve to be beat-up at launch.

I dunno i played through it twice and i can see the complaints. The gameplay is super basic and when it does change it up from the normal xxxxx yxxx rt its just so it can do more tedious shit. March sections suck, fuck knows where they are pulling all those spears from and the turret sections go on for way too long especially the one in the last level.

BDP

Neo Member
I bought my Xbox One last week. Mainly going to be using it for the Masterchief Collection and Halo 5 (along with any other exclusives that peak my interest), everything else I will be sticking with my PS4.

I've got to admit though, it feels like one of the worst consoles I have ever owned. The downloading/installing especially has given me nothing but trouble with things pausing randomly and switching to other items in the queue or installs just failing completely. The fixes I found on the net consisted of mainly cancelling the install, disconnecting the Xbox from the Internet, installing the game then logging back on so I can download the required patches. Rediculous.

I dont regret buying it as it was simply for a few exclusives but if I was planning on using this as my main console I would be pissed.

Weird, even during launch things weren't quite this bad for me. Especially now after updates everything seems perfectly fine and snappy. If you would have posted this at launch I would have tended to agree with you.

My opinion on the PS4 is, from a UI perspective, it doesn't feel next gen. Especially when you compare it to the One. Sure it's snappy but it's not really doing anything. It just feels like a fresh PS3 update.

Like others have stated I really don't think the Ones UI gets enough credit. Snap is flat out awesome. Also the suspend and resume is glorious. I paused Wolfenstein the other day and last night after I logged in and watched a few trailers, I switched back to it,and it was in the pause menu where I left it. I hit resume and bam right where I left off.

My opinion on the PS4 is, from a UI perspective, it doesn't feel next gen. Especially when you compare it to the One. Sure it's snappy but it's not really doing anything. It just feels like a fresh PS3 update.

Yeah for me I would much rather have snappy and working over poorly designed and slow every time.

Snapping stuff is OK but I found that I don't like giving up a portion of my screen space or splitting my focus.

Also this might just be because of the free view box I bought but do you always have to turn on whatever TV box you use before the Xbox will allow you to watch TV? If mine goes onto standby then I have to turn it back on via the remote before I can watch again. I would have thought the Xbox would be able to tell its in standby mode and turn it on itself.

BDP

Neo Member
Yeah for me I would much rather have snappy and working over poorly designed and slow every time.

Snapping stuff is OK but I found that I don't like giving up a portion of my screen space or splitting my focus.

Also this might just be because of the free view box I bought but do you always have to turn on whatever TV box you use before the Xbox will allow you to watch TV? If mine goes onto standby then I have to turn it back on via the remote before I can watch again. I would have thought the Xbox would be able to tell its in standby mode and turn it on itself.

With as laggy as you say your experience is I don't blame you.

Your Kinect has has a built in IR blaster so you should be able to set things up for all of your components. I wish I could offer more support. I have a harmony remote that I use instead.

Here's a question on the Xbox One (probably has more to do with my tv, though). My old blu-ray player (which I've now replaced with an Xbone) used to switch my tv's hdmi input to hdmi 1 whenever I turned it on, which was pretty handy.

As I have 360 plugged into hdmi 2, and a ps3 plugged into hdmi 3, it would be cool if when I turned on the Xbone, it also switched my tv to hdmi 1 with it.

Sometimes, if I'm playing an older console, then turn off the tv for the night - the next day if I turn on the Xbone, it turns on the tv, but turns it on to hdmi 2 or 3. Which is a bit pointless, as I then have to go get the remote and change the input settings.

Why won't the console switch inputs, like my blu-ray player used to? For info, the tv is a samsung and the blu-ray player was a sony, so there was no in-brand syncing there.

BDP

Neo Member
HAHA thats exactly what I said a few pages back and everyone thought I was evil

Agreed. I don't really mind it's size but for someone who might be cramped for space, it could be a problem.

Of course this is coming from someone who has his fractal pc tower sitting next to his entertainment center.

suikodan

I joined the XBone clan last month with a kinect-less console (although I bought one separately for 40$) and I can say that I'm loving it so far.

Ryse, Killer Instinct and DR3 were the games I wanted to play last november but it was too expensive compared to PS4. I don't complain since I got everything I wanted at launch for almost half the price.

Here are the things I like:
1- Resume game: Wow, that's my most fantastic feature. DR3 and Ryse can take time on their initial loading but if you keep playing the same game, it's "Xbox On" and you're in the game right away!

2- Ryse: I was amazed by the graphics and the gameplay is fun. Ok, I bought the game at 1/3 of its price so my expectations were low.

3- DR3: Game is ok but lots of zombies is pretty impressive!

4- Killer Instinct: I loved it on SNES/arcade and I think this new edition kicks ass.

5- I got everything above at turbo rebates! :D

Here are the things I like less:
1- Installs are taking forever: Much has been said about this so I won't add.

2- Kinect: I expected "more" without really knowing what I wanted from it to be honest. It's a first impression since I got it yesterday..

3- Editing videos is a pain compared to PS4 (that's my opinion aftter trying both...)

It won't be my main platform for games but nonetheless I know there will be good games to get for it.

Bonus question: Does it matter if my Kinect is 1ft above the floor? Should it be higher? I'm wondering because the cursor response is pretty spotty. Does it matter if I'm in the dark when using it? (Doesn't seem so since I can "see" myself in nightvision when testing the unit)

Why don't you tell us how you really feel.

Sucks to have this feeling after dropping 399/499. Have you tried calling Microsoft?

No because as its only going to be used for a couple of games a year I'm not really bothered enough for that download/install issue (which after Googling it seems to be well known anyway) and any other issues I have like having a load between the dash and your list of games/apps or not having settings on the main page by default are just design stuff that are my own personal views.

Im obviously being overdramatic by saying its the worst console I have ever owned but I think its just a mixture of UI stuff that I dont like at all and while I had issues with the direction they took the 360 UI near the end (mostly that I dont like Metro and there were too many adverts), that all still worked well whereas this just doesnt.

Here's a question on the Xbox One (probably has more to do with my tv, though). My old blu-ray player (which I've now replaced with an Xbone) used to switch my tv's hdmi input to hdmi 1 whenever I turned it on, which was pretty handy.

As I have 360 plugged into hdmi 2, and a ps3 plugged into hdmi 3, it would be cool if when I turned on the Xbone, it also switched my tv to hdmi 1 with it.

Sometimes, if I'm playing an older console, then turn off the tv for the night - the next day if I turn on the Xbone, it turns on the tv, but turns it on to hdmi 2 or 3. Which is a bit pointless, as I then have to go get the remote and change the input settings.

Why won't the console switch inputs, like my blu-ray player used to? For info, the tv is a samsung and the blu-ray player was a sony, so there was no in-brand syncing there.
Does the tv need to be on for the input switching? I'm guessing if the tv was on and then you started up the xbox it would auto detect it for you. Because as of now when you say xbox on all it would do is turn on your box first then tv. I could be way off.

No because as its only going to be used for a couple of games a year I'm not really bothered enough for that download/install issue (which after Googling it seems to be well known anyway) and any other issues I have like having a load between the dash and your list of games/apps or not having settings on the main page by default are just design stuff that are my own personal views.

Im obviously being overdramatic by saying its the worst console I have ever owned but I think its just a mixture of UI stuff that I dont like at all and while I had issues with the direction they took the 360 UI near the end (mostly that I dont like Metro and there were too many adverts), that all still worked well whereas this just doesnt.

Keep using it, may grow on you. I can say I am in the opposite boat and picked up a PS4 about a month ago. It may be that I am used to the X1 UI and it's features such as suspend/resume, hdmi in, snap, and kinect but I find myself waiting for the big hitters on PS4. I signed up for plus but since I bought the ps4 their offereings have seemed to die down for now. I guess I will just have to be patient. But good luck.

BDP

Neo Member
Bonus question: Does it matter if my Kinect is 1ft above the floor? Should it be higher? I'm wondering because the cursor response is pretty spotty. Does it matter if I'm in the dark when using it? (Doesn't seem so since I can "see" myself in nightvision when testing the unit)

It shouldn't matter. Although the performance on mine is slightly worse now that I've moved mine above my TV. Originally it sat on my entertainment stand about 2ft high. Now it's about 5 ft up.

Does the tv need to be on for the input switching? I'm guessing if the tv was on and then you started up the xbox it would auto detect it for you. Because as of now when you say xbox on all it would do is turn on your box first then tv. I could be way off.

I've had this problem since moving my PS4 to the bigger LG plasma in my living room. When I've been using my X1 (everything basically) and turn on the PS4 my tv recognizes it and switches to the PS4. I think you would have to switch the hdmi back to the X1 before you turn off the tv. The X1 one does not know to turn on your tv and switch inputs. All it detects is the "on" command. Now if you had your tv on while using the other consoles then turned on the X1 I'm sure it would detect it then.

It shouldn't matter. Although the performance on mine is slightly worse now that I've moved mine above my TV. Originally it sat on my entertainment stand about 2ft high. Now it's about 5 ft up.

same here, i bought the stand and everything for the top of the tv

Keep using it, may grow on you. I can say I am in the opposite boat and picked up a PS4 about a month ago. It may be that I am used to the X1 UI and it's features such as suspend/resume, hdmi in, snap, and kinect but I find myself waiting for the big hitters on PS4. I signed up for plus but since I bought the ps4 their offereings have seemed to die down for now. I guess I will just have to be patient. But good luck.

Oh I'm not going to sell it or anything, as I said its mainly for a couple of exclusives, the next of which is in November. Im just moaning really about stuff I dont like. Its never going to be anything other than a exclusive machine for me though, just like my Wii U.

Enough said really.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
-it's whisper quiet, never hear it when it's on

The box may be quiet, but the powerbrick sure as hell is not. It has a little fan in it that produces a high-pitched noise so I have to keep the xbone unplugged when I'm not using it.

Who has a fan in a powebrick anyways? That shit is downright shameful, considering the PS4 has the powersupply inside the console and still doesn't need any of that nonsense.

fan in a powerbrick, I shit you not. I was shocked when I found out what produced that noise.

Jawmuncher

I'm at a odd crossroads with the controller. I don't hate it but it's not instant love like the 360 controller. It just feels slightly off to me because of the way I hold my controllers and press the bumper.

Also doesn't help that the first controller I have had the screw holding the board fall out and get stuck to the trigger magnet. How does that even happen.

The box may be quiet, but the powerbrick sure as hell is not. It has a little fan in it that produces a high-pitched noise so I have to keep the xbone unplugged when I'm not using it.

Who has a fan in a powebrick anyways? That shit is downright shameful, considering the PS4 has the powersupply inside the console and still doesn't need any of that nonsense.

fan in a powerbrick, I shit you not. I was shocked when I found out what produced that noise.

To it's defense, if you have it on energy-saving, there is no need to unplug the console to stop the power supply fan from running. It only runs in instant-on mode. Also, in regards to the PS4, mine sounds like a jet engine when it is running if the glass cabinet door is not open. Apparently it needs air all around it compared to the X1 which the open airflow hole in the back of the entertainment system is sufficient enough.

I'm at a odd crossroads with the controller. I don't hate it but it's not instant love like the 360 controller. It just feels slightly off to me because of the way I hold my controllers and press the bumper.

Also doesn't help that the first controller I have had the screw holding the board fall out and get stuck to the trigger magnet. How does that even happen.

Funnily enough, that exact same thing happened to me.

When I game with my pc I always use the 360 controller over the xbone. 360 controller just feels solid. My xbone controller is already making creaking noises and the sticks aren't fluid. I know I could of returned it,but I'm just waiting for a white one. I think they're both great, but I like the chubby 360 version, although I do love the new bumpers and triggers on the xb1.

My only complaint about the One's new controller is the guide button. You have to click it in a certain position otherwise it doesnt do anything (hoping here that my button isnt just broken!)

So this fall you guys have the following first party games/exclusives to look forward to in 2014. Which ones will you be checking out?

Forza Horizon 2 - September 30th
Dance Central: Spotlight - September 2014
Project Spark - October 7th
Fantasia: Music Evolved - October 21st
Sunset Overdrive - October 28th
Halo: The Master Chief Collection - November 11th
Ori and the Blind Forest - Q3 2014
D4 - 2014

Alx

I may buy a few songs for Dance Central since it's an on demand model.
I'm already in the Project Spark beta, not sure if I'll get the starting pack but it' a high possibility.
Sunsert Overdrive will be a day 1 purchase, unless something reeeeally wrong happens in the last minute. I've been watching that game since the reveal in 2013.
Fantasia is a possibility, I like what I've seen for now but it doesn't feel like a "must have" yet. But I'll probably get it down the road anyway.

That's all for me. :)

Top Bottom