• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 14 Online announced. PS3/PC Exclusive. 2010! Art Director Yoshida!

-Kh-

Banned
mr stroke said:
why not?

11 was released 5-6 years ago now? They have had years to work on it. So FF13 Spring and FF14 in Nov/Dec?

FFXI was released in May 2002.

In August 2005, SE announced they were working on a new MMORPG, most likely later codenamed Rapture.

So it will be 8 years since XI release, and 5 years of development time. It should be more than ready in 1 year.

Besides, we are only going to get an empty world with a few quests, monsters and items, and then get the rest of the game every 3 months for the next year and a half until we get the first expansion :lol

artist

Banned
AFreak said:
Ah yes, the ever popular downplaying of Sony exclusives.

FXIII multiplat - OMG WTF! MEGATON!
FFXIV PS3 Exclusive(even if it's timed) - Meh, whatever.
I want to see Amirox's meltdown. :D

Vinci

Danish
Stumpokapow said:
yes, this is rapture

May sound odd, considering I really enjoyed FF XI, but ... I really wanted Rapture to be something else. Unrealistic, I know, but a (possibly) direct sequel to XI doesn't interest me overly much.

Dali

AFreak said:

I don't think people are downplaying it because it's a Sony exclusive. They are downplaying because it's a goddamn MMORPG.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but people that play MMO's wouldn't WANT a game to remain exclusive if only to round out the community as fully as possible.

AFreak said:

:lol You're comparing the playstations best selling franchise going multiplat to the announcement of a MMORPG not Blizzard related?

Joei

I'd be really amazed if they didn't do a PS3/PC launch.

As for the game, I'll have to learn a bit more about it, but I don't know if I can do another MMO after playing FF11. That game just took too much time that I didn't have.

Busty

Banned
I assumed that FF 14 was simply going to be FF13 Versus retitled into a 'proper sequel'.

Interesting all the same.

I have a feeling that this 'exclusive' may have more to do with Sony open door policy with developers on PSN.

Perhaps SE didn't like some of the conditions of LIVE and Sony saw the chance to pounce?

Either way.... that's a MEGATON.

Canti

Corran Horn said:
Guess its time for me to stop putting effort into my FF11 char :/
Same >: I only came back to the game 6 weeks ago, but am thinking of dropping it again already because of this news, as awesome as it is XD

Worst timing ever (for me).

Walshicus

Dali said:
I don't think people are downplaying it because it's a Sony exclusive. They are downplaying because it's a goddamn MMORPG.
Yup. That said, I found time to enjoy FFXI for a few weeks during the 360 Beta and almost managed to care about it when I played it a second time. As far as MMOs go it wasn't intolerable...

But still, given the audience for the single player games and the subscriber base of XI, I think there are a lot of people who will mostly not care either way.

-Kh-

Banned
MomoPufflet said:
IS GTHERE TARUS PLEASE CONFIRM HELP

844196os1.gif

Oh noes and extremely cute taru has appeared, now I have to agree and asks for Tarus too, damn.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
AFreak said:

Thats just how GAF rolls, my buddy had to work but I updated him on E3 and he is fucking hyped ^_^

Forkball

I'm interested to see if an MMO can really work on a home console. But this game is definitely going to end up on the PC where most people will play it. Also the subscription fee will turn a lot of console gamers off. A really shocking surprise, but in reality it's just FFXI 2.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
So many posts in this thread make me shake my head. No one seems to have read Aeana's post on the first page whatsoever.

Fortinbras said:
Online? Fuck off.
One less idiot populating a game I will play. Thank you!

Forkball said:
I'm interested to see if an MMO can really work on a home console. But this game is definitely going to end up on the PC where most people will play it.
Never heard of FFXI? Granted it is undeniably more popular on the PC due to the ease of social communication but that doesn't change the fact that it is a successful MMO on a console.

AFreak

Banned
Spirit of Jazz said:
:lol You're comparing the playstations best selling franchise going multiplat to the announcement of a MMORPG not Blizzard related?

Last I checked, it was part of the same fucking franchise.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
True story. I was watching the live stream (no sound at work) and saw a new trailer. Looks like SquareEnix type of font...then the CG hit and when saw on the 1up blog them saying "FF XIV?!?!" looked back up, watched...and then I saw the Galka pull up to the cliff w/the chocobo and I exclaimed "YES!!!" in the middle of my crowded office.

So...allow me to celebrate properly!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

*Galka, Taru and Shark high five!*

/Galka dance4 x Infinity!

Ahem...

*Tigerslowfistpump.gif*

There we go.

Aeana said:
Maybe not.

Please do not tell me there is character transfer! I have a level 75 Taru RDM but I want everyone to start over! Please! I hope there is some way to tie your FFXI character to this, but anything resembling a direct transfer would be beyond idiocy and I can't see it possibly happening.

ALSO:

Official site is up.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/

aaand not loading for me :/

Raide

Sony could not really just show off FF 13 after MS had done the same, so the only thing they could bust out was FF14. The world goes wild, Sony is god...then it said Online at the end. :lol

If you love MMO's and FF, you're in heaven.

If you don't, then this is not really the Megaton you're looking for... *waves hands*

Kyoufu

speedpop said:
So many posts in this thread make me shake my head. No one seems to have read Aeana's post on the first page whatsoever.

One less idiot populating a game I will play. Thank you!

Aeana said "PC first".

Why...on earth...would it be PC first?

Grayman

PantherLotus said:
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but people that play MMO's wouldn't WANT a game to remain exclusive if only to round out the community as fully as possible.
no they would want it PC exclusive for bigg... scratch that, no zones.

Vinci

Danish
AFreak said:
Last I checked, it was part of the same fucking franchise.

By all rights, it shouldn't be though. And no, I'm not dismissing XI - hell, I liked the game - but its appeal =/= of the mainline FF series it is stupidly part of. It should've been called FF Online, period. Never should've been a number.

-Kh-

Banned
Forkball said:
I'm interested to see if an MMO can really work on a home console. But this game is definitely going to end up on the PC where most people will play it. Also the subscription fee will turn a lot of console gamers off. A really shocking surprise, but in reality it's just FFXI 2.

Are you saying that those few hundred thousands of PS2 HDD sold, for mainly a single game, didn't work for Sony? :lol

10 bucks says they still refuse to add instances and make us do fucking verant style raid bosses, the jobs are terribly balanced in the beginning and they take 3 years+ to fix it, drop rates are beyond shit on anything worthwhile, and they pretend RMT is not a problem for 4 fucking years.

Sorry for shitting on the parade, but the developers of FFXI are just so good at ignoring any complaints with the game that I can't imagine they will fix any of the crippling design flaws.

Sage Sundi can go choke on a pretzel and die.

Aeana said:
Maybe not.

Oh christ, if you can transfer characters then we sure as fuck aren't going to see any actually problems addressed.

Flo_Evans

HappyBivouac said:
Please do not tell me there is character transfer! I have a level 75 Taru RDM but I want everyone to start over! Please! I hope there is some way to tie your FFXI character to this, but anything resembling a direct transfer would be beyond idiocy and I can't see it possibly happening.

ALSO:

Official site is up.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/

aaand not loading for me :/

Yeah that would be lame (I have a lv.75 ninja with tons of sweet gear) but if they let you transfer it would kill the start of the game.

1up

From the website I def see a Mithra and possibly a taru, looks like same races at least.

Here it is SE, your chance to not mess up and not make one class OP and never fix it. Honestly, I dont want to sub ninja damnit!

::EDIT::
info.jpg

Aeana

Kyoufu said:
Aeana said "PC first".

Why...on earth...would it be PC first?
My information is all for the west, not Japan. It very well could be PS3-only in Japan and I wouldn't know.

Top Bottom