• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Final Fantasy VI Remake Would Take 20 Years, Speculates Kitase; Would be Bigger than Final Fantasy VII Remake Project

It doesn't need to be 20 years, we don't need a fucking trilogy. Two parts spanning 10 years of dev time would be more than enough to do the game justice even with top notch visuals.

EDMIX

Making remakes(and to a lesser extent, other spin off type content) massively delays original mainline titles from releasing. That's why the release cycle used to be 2-4 years but is now once every 7 years.

The old games hold up perfectly well, why don't we just bring the series back to form so that they resemble the old games more instead of spending every decade to remake a old FF game.

? huh?

tenor.gif
tenor.gif

FFVII remake is literally being made by a different team, we actually got FFXVI or....did you not realize that or?

Remakes are killing originality nowadays, everything is either a remake, remaster or reboot.

Can you prove this?

Can you actually give us data cause you didn't even know the fucking team making FFVII remake is not the team that made FFXVI (i'm not even sure you know that game exist btw)

Proceeds to ignore Bravely Default II, Octopath Traveler 1 and 2, The DioField Chronicle, VALKYRIE ELYSIUM, Star Ocean: The Divine Force, Harvestella....sigh, its easier to just say you don't know what you are talking about lol

Be like "everything is" (Proceeds to cry over 1 remake)

why don't we just bring the series back to form so that they resemble the old games more instea

They did, its called Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler

Play those series.

I swear to god, its like you guys are hung up on the fucking name of something and have completely ignored the very thing you are asking for, exist not with 1 series, but with 2...

Last edited:
How's about stop with this bullshit and give us a real good Final fantasy 17.

So we can experience a NEW masterpiece like what Square used to give us in the in the late Snes/PS1 era.

I think FFX was a masterpiece too.

FFVII remake took so long because they decided to load the game with bloat that gives the false feeling of expanding the world. The reality is the world was already pretty large. We don't explore Midgar more in the first game, not because they couldn't do it, but because it wasn't important.

Remake of 6 would be amazing. But it doesn’t have to be like 7R or take 20 years. Can’t they just do a different art style that’s less realistic but still looks good?

Good example of how f'ed this whole industry really is. If you can't come up with a scenario where the development of a remake of an old classic that probably took less than a year to make originally is about 20 years time, you're not only going to be financially bankrupt if you dare to tackle this, you're also creatively bankrupt already.

EDMIX

Good example of how f'ed this whole industry really is. If you can't come up with a scenario where the development of a remake of an old classic that probably took less than a year to make originally is about 20 years time, you're not only going to be financially bankrupt if you dare to tackle this, you're also creatively bankrupt already.

? Ok...that was also 30 years ago.

What you are talking about has nothing to do with creativity or anything like that, technology has greatly changed and I'd argue no developer alive is remaking this game in 1 year. Translating that game into 3D would be a difficult task for any team as you are not talking about some fucking sprite based, flat 2D game or something lol

Why would would think those things are equivalent is beyond me.. Even teams as amazing as Insomniac, even they are not just putting out the same games, in the exact same time frames as something from 20 or 30 years ago, I don't know any team today that is doing that for what you are saying to ever really make any sense tbh.

tibia

Neo Member
I don't even know what this means. Turn based has gratification after gratification within long battles and short battles. What I find more grinding/less gratifying is spamming as much shit as fast as possible on damage sponges like in these newer FF games.
The spam is the reason I'm avoiding most modern games. I thought FFXVI was going to be one of my top 5 games of all time. I got to the last boss and watched it on YouTube instead.

Spamming silly combos to add to damage counters over a couple of minutes... seriously I'm yawning. A few battles later and I'm looking out the window to do something else. Square should commit to full on action or turn base...

Will start FFR when Rebirth releases but if it's spam heavy I'm out and will watch cutscenes on Youtube instead.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I have nothing against new FF, but I also have zero interest in them. A game in the PS1 style would peek my interest tho.

? huh?

tenor.gif
tenor.gif

FFVII remake is literally being made by a different team, we actually got FFXVI or....did you not realize that or?

Can you prove this?

Can you actually give us data cause you didn't even know the fucking team making FFVII remake is not the team that made FFXVI (i'm not even sure you know that game exist btw)

Proceeds to ignore Bravely Default II, Octopath Traveler 1 and 2, The DioField Chronicle, VALKYRIE ELYSIUM, Star Ocean: The Divine Force, Harvestella....sigh, its easier to just say you don't know what you are talking about lol

Be like "everything is" (Proceeds to cry over 1 remake)

They did, its called Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler

Play those series.

I swear to god, its like you guys are hung up on the fucking name of something and have completely ignored the very thing you are asking for, exist not with 1 series, but with 2...
I knew that there are different teams, if you read what I wrote afterwards I said both teams could have got 16 out faster working on it at the same time. Focusing on the mainline branch is one of the biggest reasons why the FF games in the Early 2000s and back had such a fast release cycle.

Bravely Default is Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler is Octopath Traveler, not Final Fantasy. It's easier to just say you don't know what you're talking about lol.

Last edited:

What you are talking about has nothing to do with creativity or anything like that, technology has greatly changed and I'd argue no developer alive is remaking this game in 1 year. Translating that game into 3D would be a difficult task for any team as you are not talking about some fucking sprite based, flat 2D game or something lol

Why would would think those things are equivalent is beyond me.. Even teams as amazing as Insomniac, even they are not just putting out the same games, in the exact same time frames as something from 20 or 30 years ago, I don't know any team today that is doing that for what you are saying to ever really make any sense tbh.
Oh it's actually pretty simple. A remake can be anything. To think that this equation can only result in a 20,000,000 bill is naive. You probably also believe that you can't make a new Gran Turismo game without paying millions of dollars to an orchestra for the soundtrack.

Last edited:
I think FFX was a masterpiece too.

FFVII remake took so long because they decided to load the game with bloat that gives the false feeling of expanding the world. The reality is the world was already pretty large. We don't explore Midgar more in the first game, not because they couldn't do it, but because it wasn't important.
Exactly - another reason it has taken longer is that it's not just a remake, it's a total retcon so more planning needs to go into scenarios.

EDMIX

Oh it's actually pretty simple. A remake can be anything. To think that this equation can only result in a 20,000,000 bill is naive. You probably also believe that you can't make a new Gran Turismo game without paying millions of dollars to an orchestra for the soundtrack.

Never said anything like that, but of course a "remake" must still fit the quality that is expected in todays market in the first place.

All you are saying is, you can cut a shit ton of corners to make some great value, half assed remake, I'm pretty fucking sure that is feasible, but what is being talked about is a remake that actually fits the quality and standards of what we actually expect from games today.

Not this, put it out by any means, cell phone quality type thing lol

if you read what I wrote afterwards I said both teams could have got 16 out faster working on it at the same time.

? And

Both teams can also, you know.....work on 2 different projects and customers get more content.

I'm not sure the fucking obsession with getting one of them faster.

FFVII remake development started around 2013, released 2020
FFXVI development started around 2015, released 2023

So their priority should be making the best quality they can, not trying to rush anything out the door

Bravely Default is Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler is Octopath Traveler, not Final Fantasy.

LOL

I'm sorry man, you are just fucking crying over semantics. I mean its a series that changes the story with each game, yet you are crying over the name not saying Final Fantasy, even though the very fucking thing you are asking for, is what those games are doing?

smh

Here you go, I solved your problem, slap this on the cover of those games so you can cope.

fb766cc4ebf90869e9e51a1e6900c3a9.jpg

See its "Final Fantasy" now like you asked.... Feel better.
(added to ignored so you can deal with the cope, we praying for you....poor thing)

Doom85

I knew that there are different teams, if you read what I wrote afterwards I said both teams could have got 16 out faster working on it at the same time. Focusing on the mainline branch is one of the biggest reasons why the FF games in the Early 2000s and back had such a fast release cycle.

Bravely Default is Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler is Octopath Traveler, not Final Fantasy. It's easier to just say you don't know what you're talking about lol.

(imagining a world where VII Remake and soon Rebirth didn’t exist, and only XVI did)

throw up jim carrey GIF

Sorry, I like my RPGs to actually give a shit about the RPG elements, not give me nothing but Devil May Cry (oh sorry, Devil May Cry 2 since FF XVI told me to fuck myself for wanting anything remotely challenging). Could have been awesome like Nier Automata which balanced the RPG and character action elements, but nope!

After the unfinished mess that was XV, and the finished but “why would you want RPG focus in your RPG?” debacle that was XVI, I’m far more interested in the remakes for FF over the recent main entries at this point. They better not fuck around with XVII‘s design at this point, just made a damn good RPG that isn’t ashamed of being a RPG, because my patience is at an end.

EDMIX

(imagining a world where VII Remake and soon Rebirth didn’t exist, and only XVI did)

throw up jim carrey GIF

Sorry, I like my RPGs to actually give a shit about the RPG elements, not give me nothing but Devil May Cry (oh sorry, Devil May Cry 2 since FF XVI told me to fuck myself for wanting anything remotely challenging). Could have been awesome like Nier Automata which balanced the RPG and character action elements, but nope!

After the unfinished mess that was XV, and the finished but “why would you want RPG focus in your RPG?” debacle that was XVI, I’m far more interested in the remakes for FF over the recent main entries at this point. They better not fuck around with XVII‘s design at this point, just made a damn good RPG that isn’t ashamed of being a RPG, because my patience is at an end.

Agreed.

This is why I'm completely ok with them doing those remakes, having Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler etc The action RPG stuff is their focus on the main stuff and I'd rather us have all those options and they just have many teams or something so everyone gets what they want.

FFXVI wasn't the worst FF title, but I feel it could have been better, I liked Octopath Traveler 2 better that year though.

NahaNago

They really need to work on their world building techniques. I really hope this new FF 7 game shocks me with the world they created but so far 15 and 16 have been pretty empty with npc and interesting monsters and events with the open world.

Last edited:

EDMIX

lol yesssssssssssss!

I've never really understood this whole anti-remake thing. Out of all publishers game line ups, that shit might make up 1 or 2 games at most and one of the companies that even does it the most, also still makes a fuck ton of new games anyway.

So we might have like 2 from Sony with Demon Souls remake and The Last Of Us 1 remake

4 from Square with FFVII part 1 and 2 (not sure if we'd see that as some continuation but, whatevs) and Trials Of Mana and Secret of mana
3 from Capcom with RE2 remake, RE3 remake and RE4 remake

but all 3 above publishers still literally put out more new games then remakes, its not like Square fucking put out 7 games last gen and its not like Capcom just put out 5 games.

So I find the whole remake complaint a bit exaggerative.

I'll only willing to agree with that if literally the only thing a publisher put out was remakes

(edit)

Ohhhhh yea Sega!

They remade Yakuza 1,2 and Persona 3

but shit they still literally put out more new Yakuza games then remakes and more Persona titles, then remakes last gen anyway

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
lol yesssssssssssss!

I've never really understood this whole anti-remake thing. Out of all publishers game line ups, that shit might make up 1 or 2 games at most and one of the companies that even does it the most, also still makes a fuck ton of new games anyway.

So we might have like 2 from Sony with Demon Souls remake and The Last Of Us 1 remake

4 from Square with FFVII part 1 and 2 (not sure if we'd see that as some continuation but, whatevs) and Trials Of Mana and Secret of mana
3 from Capcom with RE2 remake, RE3 remake and RE4 remake

but all 3 above publishers still literally put out more new games then remakes, its not like Square fucking put out 7 games last gen and its not like Capcom just put out 5 games.

So I find the whole remake complaint a bit exaggerative.

I'll only willing to agree with that if literally the only thing a publisher put out was remakes

(edit)

Ohhhhh yea Sega!

They remade Yakuza 1,2 and Persona 3

but shit they still literally put out more new Yakuza games then remakes and more Persona titles, then remakes last gen anyway
Most important part despite having "Remake" on the title FFVIIR is not actual remake.....
FfziVUM.png

HOW MANY TIMES this needs to be said!?

Last edited:

EDMIX

Most important part despite having "Remake" on the title FFVIIR is not actual remake.....
FfziVUM.png

HOW MANY TIMES this needs to be said!?

lol to be fair, that just sounds like a marketing thing.

Cause Part 1 still states "Remake" fuck we suppose to do? Believe Part 2 is suddenly not a remake or? Why even say its part of that project?

"FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH is the highly anticipated new story in the FINAL FANTASY VII remake project"

So Square doesn't seem to see those as different things, merely a continuation of that thing. So....semantics. By what we know remakes to be, this is a remake thru and thru. As I'm sure the 3rd game will be like FFVII - Resurrection, FFVII - Redemption, FFVII - Revelation lol

bender

What time is it?

3D graphics was a mistake.

Last edited:

throw up jim carrey GIF

It's not exactly like the only potential future mainline games have to be hack n slashers like 16. Wasn't there rumors the next FF would be back to turn based? If there is enough demand for the old style of FF back, that's what we will get.

Last edited:
lol to be fair, that just sounds like a marketing thing.

Cause Part 1 still states "Remake" fuck we suppose to do? Believe Part 2 is suddenly not a remake or? Why even say its part of that project?

"FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH is the highly anticipated new story in the FINAL FANTASY VII remake project"

So Square doesn't seem to see those as different things, merely a continuation of that thing. So....semantics. By what we know remakes to be, this is a remake thru and thru. As I'm sure the 3rd game will be like FFVII - Resurrection, FFVII - Redemption, FFVII - Revelation lol
It's not a remake, it's not even FF VII. Third game should be called "Retcon".

EDMIX

It's not a remake, it's not even FF VII. Third game should be called "Retcon".

lol yesss! I was waiting for this one when I put them R's out.

To be fair, even Square calls it a reimagining as I'm sure the team likely would change lots of stuff if they had this sort of tech 27 years ago

RayHell

Super Mario RPG remake didn't take 20 years and it's very good remake.
If you don't go completely stupid with AAA 3D graphics, tons of new content and completely different gameplay mechanic it can be done in 3 years.
Kitase and Nomura ego are bigger than Square.

Doom85

Thing is, NOBODY was asking for a VII "remake."

Uh Huh Sure GIF

Yeah, extreme generalizations based on what purists are saying in message boards are always a popular indicator of demand, right? Just how “nobody” wanted Resident Evil 2 remade the way it was.

arnold schwarzenegger dont bullshit me GIF by Jerology

Honestly, FF VII Remake greatly improved the combat of the original. The OG VII had the problem of characters feeling too same-y due to Materia giving all characters almost all the options (this is why IX was very welcome in bringing back classes). Remake fixed this without removing Materia, by giving characters a bunch of unique Ability moves, plus unique combat characteristics (Cloud is damage-focused, Barret is good against flying/overhead enemies, Tifa builds stagger faster, and Aerith is stronger in magic).

UnrealEck

I imported FFVI (PS1 version) years ago and I've not even played it. Final Fantasy IX is the one I'd like to see them remake.

Comandr

Saying something like it would take TWENTY YEARS to make a game is just admitting gross negligence and mismanagement of the studio.

Let's put that into perspective. We'll start the clock in 1987. In twenty years...

NES
Final Fantasy 1
Final Fantasy 2
Final Fantasy 3

SNES
Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 5
Final Fantasy 6

PS1
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 9

PS2
Final Fantasy 10
Final Fantasy 11
Final Fantasy 12

In twenty years, four consoles were developed and released, twelve full fledge new Final Fantasy games were fully developed and released. This also obviously does not include dozens of in-house developed games like the Secret of Mana series, SaGa, or Kingdom Hearts. In twenty years, and entire generation of people will be born, grow up, and start their own lives and potentially have their own children. SquareEnix is suggesting that you could have a child next year, and then be a grandparent before a remake is done. That. is. outrageous.

For a remake of a game that's already done! The script, scenario, characters, artwork, music - all done! That's easily at least a year or more of early planning and development done and complete already. So at this point we are lacking modeling, scripting, environment creation, animation, voice acting, scenario adaptation and rewrites to adhere to the times, and recomposition of existing themes... FF6 isn't even that long of a game, with a vast majority of the play time being in battle. AND it's free of any real cancerous elements like other spinoffs and other media to dilute the game with shit no one wants. I'm looking at you Genesis. Twenty fucking years? What a joke of a god damn company. If they didn't have me over a fuckin' barrel with FF7R I'd just walk away from this company completely.

I thought modern engines like UE5 can offset time constraints for building worlds. Why is he speaking like they haven't stepped out of the PS3 era?

Eventually it will.
I'm still waiting to see quality like this when it comes to gameplay

I miss the old guard of id Software, Epic Games, Crytek.. All of them had PC backgrounds and it showed in their work, they all valued high fidelity gameplay rendering (what you see is what you get). Now I'm stuck with the Square Enix's, Naughty Dog's, Insomniac's, all absolute ass.

Rran

I don't see why this game--a remake, no less--would take four times the amount of time other current-gen epics like Breath of the Wild did.

Just Octopath it and get it out in a couple of years. It's not like FF6 needs much tweaking to be perfect anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom