• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight - Review Thread

BashNasty

If anyone knows a Mom and Pop shop in Chicago, shoot me a PM please.

This thread's made me even more desperate.

I live in Chicago myself, and it's weird, despite the fact that this is a huge city, there really don't seem to be all that many non-chain video game stores around. Certainly nothing like New York.

hemo memo

Gold Member
"Cannot use the selected feature with this application" not that I was going to stream it. But system block this time to insure no early streams.

DrBo42

Immediate impressions:

Game is gorgeous. Rain and lighting is pure eye candy in the city. Seems like every single car on the road is a bad guy...and there's an absurd amount of them. So far I don't really like that. Combat feels somehow meatier than previous games. Like Batman has more momentum than before.

SomTervo

I played an hour or two earlier today. Seems fantastic. Far better than City and i'm hugely inpressed by the story too, so let's see if this beats out Origins. (Also watch out everyone, this game's story is REALLY easy to spoil.)

I even had a couple of 'Arkham Asylum' moments, where I felt perfectly and quintessentially 'the bat'. The feels!

Cant wait to play more. Also love the revamped skill tree and the combat is hugely improved- to what it should have always been... I spent at least an hour of t first session just swooping about beating up bad guys. This is all ive ever really wanted from a batman game and it's delivering it more than Origins ever did.

From what i've played i really enjoy the batmobile, too. I love that Tank Mode is a button HOLD not a button TOGGLE. This really hammers home that you can pop into battle mode, fire off a few shots, then tear away in drive mode an instant later. Tamk mode should just be brief use. Let's hope the game doesnt force too much shooting

The car gunfights feel a bit uncanny - not because Bats is shooting a lot, but because it actually feels like a really good car combat game like Twisted Metal or something - not a good Batman game. The mechanic feels like it's just invading the game.

Immediate impressions:

Game is gorgeous. Rain and lighting is pure eye candy in the city. Seems like every single car on the road is a bad guy...and there's an absurd amount of them. So far I don't really like that. Combat feels somehow meatier than previous games. Like Batman has more momentum than before.

Almost every non-bad guy in the city leaves at the beginning of the game.
It makes perfect sense all the cars left are baddies.

BY2K

Membero Americo
id really like to buy this but i have no idea if it'll run well on my pc

i5-4670k
8gb memory
amd r7 265

i7 4770k
16GB RAM
HD 7970 3GB

My GPU might not be up to stuff, but I'll be able to run it pretty solid.

EDIT: Actually, my 7970 should be more than enough. But for some reason system requirements is telling me it's not good enough for the recommended specs.

thenameDS

Received this morning, been enjoying it so far. Not really played much of the other Batman games so can't compare. Only complaint is Batmobile combat feels meh and forced.

Also the 1.01 (Day one) patch was 3.6GB but I just turned on my PS4 to play again and its downloading another patch which is the same size :(

UnrealEck

id really like to buy this but i have no idea if it'll run well on my pc

i5-4670k
8gb memory
amd r7 265

Depends on what you mean by 'well'.
That PC's got a faster CPU than a PS4, more memory and its graphics processor is probably roughly similar performance.
I'd expect you to get at least PS4-like performance/graphics.

Majora

Also the 1.01 (Day one) patch was 3.6GB but I just turned on my PS4 to play again and its downloading another patch which is the same size :(

I was just coming on here to query this. Downloaded the day 1 patch before and now there's another the same size. I wasn't sure whether to cancel it or not. 7 GB seems excessive to say the least.

antitrop

Are you saying The Order is shit?
There are definitely a lot of things about it that are shitty.

Like the cliched, unfinished story that betrays its potential; The combat encounters being mostly comprised of boring human enemies, instead of the cool mythical monsters that exist in the game's world; The few times when you do actually get to fight Werewolves, they're some of the most poorly designed sequences in any modern AAA action game, and they're the same rinse and repeat sequence every time. The final boss
is the exact same LAME QTE sequence that you encounter against a weaker Lycan earlier in the game

There's a few more shitty things about it, but I think you get the point. Whether the shitty things about the game make it absolute shit or not comes down to what the player expects out of it.

Ready At Dawn tried to stand on the cinematic third-person shooter pedestal with Naughty Dog, but showed that they were really better off making handheld games with other people's IPs.

VanWinkle

My Limited Edition still hasn't shipped from Amazon. Has me kind of worried. I mean, I'm going to be on my honeymoon when it comes anyway, but still.

Just did the pre order for this game on amazon.com(For the PS4) had 25 bucks to spend so the total came to be 38 dollars..cant wait to get this game..says I would receive it by June 25th which is two days after the game is released I hope I Get it sooner than that how do pre orders usually work when you have amazon prime?

Can anyone confirm if you can change skins while you're going through the story or not? I want to see what the JL3000 skin looks like in game when I start, but I don't want to be stuck using it through the whole game if I don't like it.

Can anyone confirm if you can change skins while you're going through the story or not? I want to see what the JL3000 skin looks like in game when I start, but I don't want to be stuck using it through the whole game if I don't like it.
Yes you simply go into the Showcase section and pick your skin. It does reload your game though but you can do it at any time.

thenameDS

I was just coming on here to query this. Downloaded the day 1 patch before and now there's another the same size. I wasn't sure whether to cancel it or not. 7 GB seems excessive to say the least.
I searched to see if there was any info but couldn't find anything. Someone's download will probably finish quicker than mine, in-laws have 5mb broadband :( (4 hours to go)

J7fzrdc.gif
[/QUOTE]
Where does this gif originate? Always see it amongst GAF.

Big Chungus

Depends on what you mean by 'well'.
That PC's got a faster CPU than a PS4, more memory and its graphics processor is probably roughly similar performance.
I'd expect you to get at least PS4-like performance/graphics.

as long as it looks like the console version, im good

Corpsepyre

Banned
There are definitely a lot of things about it that are shitty.

Like the cliched, unfinished story that betrays its potential; The combat encounters being mostly comprised of boring human enemies, instead of the cool mythical monsters that exist in the game's world; The few times when you do actually get to fight Werewolves, they're some of the most poorly designed sequences in any modern AAA action game, and they're the same rinse and repeat sequence every time. The final boss
is the exact same LAME QTE sequence that you encounter against a weaker Lycan earlier in the game

There's a few more shitty things about it, but I think you get the point. Whether the shitty things about the game make it absolute shit or not comes down to what the player expects out of it.

Ready At Dawn tried to stand on the cinematic third-person shooter pedestal with Naughty Dog, but showed that they were really better off making handheld games with other people's IPs.

Maybe they should just stick to combat-driven games and leave the shooting to those who can do it justice. Played about 2 hours, and the shooting mechanics were not fun whatsoever. Game looked pretty as fuck, but that was it.

BatSu

Well, after playing two hours can only say, amazing!

I can't share screenshots, but they are amazing! Tomorrow I'll try to share from usb

viveks86

Well, after playing two hours can only say, amazing!

I can't share screenshots, but they are amazing! Tomorrow I'll try to share from usb

Quick question. Are there riddler "puzzles", just like in Arkham City? Never seen any of it in the footage so far and those were my favorite part of the game.

Something's up. Just 16 reviews counted over at Metacritic.

A lot of websites did not get review copies till yesterday. The ones who did seemed to have a PS4 debug unit. Heck, PC gaming websites don't have review copies at all. Add E3 madness to that. Expecting to see more coming through next week.

Simo

My Limited Edition still hasn't shipped from Amazon. Has me kind of worried. I mean, I'm going to be on my honeymoon when it comes anyway, but still.

Well probably like mine with release date delivery it's 1 day shipping so it shouldn't ship until Monday?

How the hell are there no twitch streams/vids on youtube yet? o_O

Some YouTube vids have surfaced and then been quickly removed. Just saw a vid that was the opening 30 minutes and then after watching it, it was removed. lol

There seems to be something in place blocking streaming on the PS4 too until release day..

Wasp

How the hell are there no twitch streams/vids on youtube yet? o_O
I was just watching one on Twitch, I waited 10 minutes for the streamer to download the patch, he finally started the game and as soon as he got to the main menu it was shut down. Gah!

Phloxy

Have it on Xbox, can't tell if it's 900p or whatever, but it looks fantastic and runs silky smooth. Haven't really had any fps drops even with some of the intense stuff happening on screen. Very impressed.

DrBo42

Performance in the batmobile is pretty rough from what I've played. Going to run a database rebuild on my PS4 just to confirm things are okay but smashing through anything results in some steady hiccups and frame drops.

Top Bottom