• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight - Review Thread

Yeah, I never get when people compare it to Assassin's Creed. Why? because you can counter? lol.

Reminds me of the people who complain about cover shooting in Max Payne 3, even though that's by far the least optimal way to play it. Just standing there and countering in the Arkham games is the most boring way to play it.

Kamina

Golden Boy
That and it's an excuse to make that same "Press A to Awesome" shit post over and over.
But countering in Batman doesnt do anything other than countering. There are no awesome counter kills involved unless that hit happens to take the enemy's last health point.

You're not supposed to be in here. Thought you left us for the OT?

I came back, I wanted to see if the drama aired out a bit.

Now we're talking about Assassin's Creed in a Batman thread for God's sake.
J7fzrdc.gif

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yeah, I never get when people compare it to Assassin's Creed. Why? because you can counter? lol.
We're at the point where AC's combat is becoming batman like. Just the fact that counters don't kill enemies makes a huge difference for batman.

Zakalwe

Banned
I assume there has to be the ability to return to the cave or satellite cave location like in previous games. Loved that.

I think a review I read stated there
is no batcave in this game

Also, don't go to the Steam discussion pages for this. People are reportedly posting spoilers all over the place.

Kamina777

Banned
Because it is what it was based on, modified to a degree where the wait and react isn't as integral, thanks to the gadgets and such.

I player but never finished asylum and city, and In order for me to not get hit at all in brawls, "wait and see" was the the only thing that works, I win easy, I probably could be more aggressive but I would most likely take damage, I just personally find it dull and a 3rd go including an ill advised driving section doesn't sound like fun to me. Just my opinion.
That and it's an excuse to make that same "Press A to Awesome" shit post over and over.
It's a shit post because I didn't give it a 10/10? It's my opinion, I'm tired of the style of combat, just me, clearly the others are not hence it exist, can I not have a differing opinion?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I think a review I read stated there is no batcave in this game.

Also, don't go to the Steam discussion pages for this. People are reportedly posting spoilers all over the place.
Yeah, thus far I've seen no batcave, just the clock tower.
Hope that isn't a spoiler, spoilered to be safe.

Zakalwe

Banned
Because it is what it was based on, modified to a degree where the wait and react isn't as integral, thanks to the gadgets and such.

I player but never finished asylum and city, and In order for me to not get hit at all in brawls, "wait and see" was the the only thing that works, I win easy, I probably could be more aggressive but I would most likely take damage, I just personally find it dull and a 3rd go including an ill advised driving section doesn't sound like fun to me. Just my opinion.

"I could probably be more aggressive but I would most likely take damage"

Meaning you don't know because you didn't try it?

"wait and see was the only thing that worked"

How could you tell if you didn't try being more aggressive?

While there is no "wrong" way to play, I really think you missed out on the real strength of the combat system.

Kamina777

Banned

While there is no "wrong" way to play, I really think you missed out on the real strength of the combat system.

I probably phrased that wrong, one mistake and I usually lose my momentum and get tossed in every direction by the enemy groups, It feels right for me just to wait for the tells, I like to think I have great reflexes so the wait and react works best for me, but it starts to become rote, (for me) and I end up not caring about the combat, and putting the game aside a quarter into it. Never failed with the games i mentioned, just one quarter into it and I'm done, it maybe just isn't for me to like, I have strange tastes anyway.

DrBo42

It's a shit post because I didn't give it a 10/10? It's my opinion, I'm tired of the style of combat, just me, clearly the others are not hence it exist, can I not have a differing opinion?

No. It's a shit post because the A to Awesome comment doesn't apply and has never applied to the game. You can dislike the combat or the game but don't claim it to be something it isn't.

No. It's a shit post because the A to Awesome comment doesn't apply and has never applied to the game. You can dislike the combat or the game but don't claim it to be something it isn't.

This is how I feel about games and movies that have a simple premise but is really deep and can be quite amazing if done right, but people Never go any deeper than button mashing and they suck.

Its like those idiots on Mortal Kombat x who spam projectiles and say they are super good, they get pissed when someone uses projectiles right and can bust a 50% combo on your arse

Zakalwe

Banned
I probably phrased that wrong, one mistake and I usually lose my momentum and get tossed in every direction by the enemy groups, It feels right for me just to wait for the tells, I like to think I have great reflexes so the wait and react works best for me, but it starts to become rote, (for me) and I end up not caring about the combat, and putting the game aside a quarter into it. Never failed with the games i mentioned, just one quarter into it and I'm done, it maybe just isn't for me to like, I have strange tastes anyway.

Well, the main point here is that Batman doesn't have "easy awesome" style combat, it has a risk/reward rhythm system that allows you to get out what you put in. It absolutely rewards being super aggressive and building momentum, and it's at its best when played that way.

Pavaloo

I looove arkham combat. One of my favorite things to do is approach a large group of enemies and go "how quickly can I fuck all of these guys up with a continuous varied combo all without getting hit" once you get good it's exhilarating to clear out like ten guys in less than a minute on hard mode (no visual prompts) and truly feel like the batman.

Also surprised with the batmobile backlash with this game - ever since asylum all I can remember was fans begging for the batmobile. Now it's here! Full batman experience! Awesome.

Zakalwe

Banned
Also surprised with the batmobile backlash with this game - ever since asylum all I can remember was fans begging for the batmobile. Now it's here! Full batman experience! Awesome.

Well, to be fair, just because it's here doesn't mean it's been done well.

erawsd

Yeah, reminds me of that guy from the Bayonetta thread that insisted the game was over rated because all he did was use the same combo and dodge. Batman is no Bayonetta in terms of complexity, but you can make any game dull if you arent willing to engage with it and explore deeper strategies.

Pavaloo

I can get an early copy today for $100. Talk me out of it, the thirst is real.
Lol three days waiting could save you 40 bucks dude! Go play city for the time being :p

Well, to be fair, just because it's here doesn't mean it's been done well.
Fair enough. It seems to control well enough but I for sure wouldn't be into shooting tanks. I think at least it will vary the gameplay up.

I have no idea where to pre order this game from, GS or BB?

I think it's best practice to purchase most electronics/gaming items from BB. Not only do they offer Gamer's Club Unlocked discount but they have a rewards program that rewards you with $5 off coupons at least once a quarter depending on your spending habits.

So I'm getting Arkham Knight for $46. GCU 20% off + $5 off coupon I had earned from spending at BB.

JonnyKong

What are you guys ranking up first? I'm struggling to decide what to upgrade first as there's so much choice.

I've played about three hours so far. I am enjoying it. The story is good, has had a couple nice twists so far. Haven't had too many side missions presented to me yet, I thought I would have been inundated with them by now. The graphics are obviously lovely, but personally not mind blowing to me. In all honesty so far I would have to say this game compared to Arkham City is how I would compare Far Cry 4 to 3, they're pretty much exactly the same game, with a bit of a new story and a couple new locations. All the game mechanics are still there so you know exactly what you're in for when you start it. It's obviously a solid, well made game, it's just not doing anything new. I'm not really sure what that new thing could be, but that's not my job is it to think of these things. After 3 hours I'd say it's an 8/10 so far, but obviously it's still early doors.

In regards to the batmobile, yeah it is iffy at first. I think I'm used to it now. The biggest crime for me is having the brake button as square. Should have been L2.

Also, 250 Riddler trophies? Jesus.

seat

I think it's best practice to purchase most electronics/gaming items from BB. Not only do they offer Gamer's Club Unlocked discount but they have a rewards program that rewards you with $5 off coupons at least once a quarter depending on your spending habits.

So I'm getting Arkham Knight for $46. GCU 20% off + $5 off coupon I had earned from spending at BB.

More than $5, it's actually $10.

Best Buy is the go-to these days. No good reason to preorder at Gamestop, if you ask me.

bobawesome

So IGN's review was the first I've read. But if that was the case I was majorly spoiled. What a fucking irresponsible reviewer.

Hey, it was your fault for reading the review in the first place! That was the shitty line of reasoning given by Dan in the comments section yesterday, anyway.

Majora

In regards to the batmobile, yeah it is iffy at first. I think I'm used to it now. The biggest crime for me is having the brake button as square. Should have been L2.

I really struggled with this too. You can change it in the options, mercifully. It's something like battle mode toggle. Instead of holding down L2 to change into battle mode you press R1, and brake goes onto L2. Honestly, whoever makes the official thread should stick that in the first post because people are going to complain over and over :p

I'm surprised at the amount of new moves and options in this. I didn't really follow the game beyond knowing Batmobile was in it. I'm almost feeling kind of overwhelmed at remembering all the moves and what the controls are.

As you mentioned, so far it's been very measured at handing out side quests which is good. I hate having tons tossed at me at once a la Assassin's Creed.

Top Bottom