• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Parity is a hell of a Clause

What's special though? Spending X amount more money to add a new feature, skin, tie-in, etc then originally planned? If you don't add anything, can they even release the game?

From what I read, they can most certainly forego adding any Xbox exclusive features to their game and still have it release on the platform.

The clause was specific for the ID@Xbox program, which I don't believe all indie games go through.

This seems to be the missing piece that most people have forgotten about.

Ohhhh I think you're right. That's weird though, because I'm pretty sure games like Steamworld Dig and The Pinball Arcade are part of that program and those games have no exclusive content that I'm aware of.

My guess is that MS strongly encourages devs to add something special if they can, but they don't require it. A very large number of indies have released on XB1 over the past year with no exclusive content, despite releasing on PS4 (or Wii U) first.

This. The notion that they are requiring or forcing anything is wrong going by the samples. But they need to communicate better, because it still sounds like something that's enforced.

Games can release just fine without needing to add extra "special content". See 1001 Spikes, Outlast, Binding of Isaac, ect.

He's talking about games that sign timed exclusive deals need "special" content. It's crappy and dumb but I think *some* people might be confusing this and thinking that every late game needs special content which is not the case

Gren

The clause was specific for the ID@Xbox program, which I don't believe all indie games go through.

Yeah, I thought when ID@Xbox was introduced, it was the only way to self-publish on Xbox(?), hence people's objection to the parity clause it entailed.

If they allow self-publishing without participating in the program (which nets devs free tools IIRC), then I actually see no problem with the clause.

Journey

Banned
Then why does he need to 'work with people'? Why should the devs 'come talk to them' about it? I guess no wanting a devs game on xbox and having a specific policy about it might be different, but not to the dev.

How do you know devs don't "come to talk to Sony" about it, didn't Super Time Force devs come talk to Sony and were "suggested" to add content?

Toki767

Ohhhh I think you're right. That's weird though, because I'm pretty sure games like Steamworld Dig are part of that program and that game has no exclusive content that I'm aware of.

They really confused everything but they started acting like every indie game goes through ID@Xbox, which I guess it might, but they might just be in charge of advertising all indie games in general.

sangreal

The outrage is around ID@Xbox but the clause itself is not limited to that. It goes back to the 360 days and applies even to retail games. You can find it in any of the xbox one publisher agreements w/ the major publishers

eg: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/946581/000104746914000555/a2218068zex-10_1.htm

It's more of a guideline than a requirement since ultimately MS can choose when to enforce it -- but they can choose whether they want your game in the first place, even without a clause.

Crayon

It's always been like this (at least that's what they always saying).

This statement, to me, shows a certain transparency relative to his previous statements.

Unfortunately for phil, in terms of absolute transparency, it's still clear as mud. So my feeling that this signals a curtailing of this fucked up behavior (it never was a POLICY, or a CLAUSE. It was BEHAVIOR) are just that. Feelings. And I'm feeling like I'm in the minority right now. Ha.

How do you know devs don't "come to talk to Sony" about it, didn't Super Time Force devs come talk to Sony and were "suggested" to add content?

Probably. My guess is Sony has a similar policy in place for games showing up later on PS4. Add something exclusive if you can, but you're not forced to.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
"because people don't want last year's game, they want something special and new."
This reasoning is still shit. Pure shit.

I am sorry but I will gladly eat up Super Meat Boy when it comes out on PS4 later this year. There may be a few people that think this way, but the vast majority of gamers would be glad to play a year old game if they were not able to play it until it came to their platform.

From what I read, they can most certainly forego adding any Xbox exclusive features to their game and still have it release on the platform.

And from what I read in the OP, it still sounds like the developers need to add a little something, something (aka "special") to have it release on XBO. Transparency.

Amir0x

Banned
Man Phil Spencer sure is something special.

OrbitalBeard said:
My guess is Sony has a similar policy in place for games showing up later on PS4. Add something exclusive if you can, but you're not forced to.

On PS4, they have no such policy. Even though that's not really a policy - "Hey if you can add it, but you also don't have to." That just equals "do whatever you want" in the end.

Microsoft's policy is more explicit, in that you do have to go through the red tape of talking about this stuff with Chris and whomever to get exemptions.

This reasoning is still shit. Pure shit.

I am sorry but I will gladly eat up Super Meat Boy when it comes out on PS4 later this year. There may be a few people that think this way, but the vast majority of gamers would be glad to play a year old game if they were not able to play it until it came to their platform.

....which is exactly what is happening with The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth on XB1. You're getting upset over nothing, really.

Rymuth

Good guy Phil Spencer strikes again. Truly he has what's good for gaming in his heart.

I forgot who it was that said it, Y2Kev...Bish...Chubs...but to paraphrase -

Unknown Gaffer said:
If the best thing you can say about your clause is that there are ways to get around it, it just means your clause is shitty in the first place.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This shit has gone from being sad, to being hilarious, then back around to being sad, and now it's back to being hilarious again.

Gamers are not this stupid Phil... *sigh*

Do you have any proof that Sony = "Suggests" and MS = "forces"?
It's difficult to prove anything like that when developers can't even talk to MS without signing an NDA first. You have to learn to read between the lines.

Q: When ID@Xbox launched there was some vocal discontent about the parity clause, but that seems to have died down - are you a little more flexible on that now?

Chris Charla: I actually think we're pretty flexible. What we've always said is that we can't talk about the clause, developers should get in touch, but the reality is if a developer gets in touch and there's a situation where they can't sim-ship because they just don't have the resources to do testing across three consoles at the same time? We totally get that. And that's no problem.

If a game is not going to be coming to Xbox One for many months because there's been an exclusivity agreement signed or something like that then all we really ask is that they do something with the game so that it feels fresh for Xbox players. Developers seem to respond pretty well to that.
Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-04-29-chris-charla

Meanwhile, at Sony:

Kayant

Games can release just fine without needing to add extra "special content". See 1001 Spikes, Outlast, Binding of Isaac, ect.

He's talking about games that sign timed exclusive deals need "special" content. It's crappy and dumb but I think *some* people might be confusing this and thinking that every late game needs special content which is not the case

None of those games have any deals with Sony or Nintendo none released simultaneously. Which means they don't fall under that specification in the first place as the extra content is for games with deals as said by Phil.

Nope. They made exceptions before now they just expanded the exceptions range. i.e Warframe

Bingo. They weren't even even to most indies in regards to the rule, they made exceptions for the ones they wanted to leaving others out in the cold or jumping through hoops.

Walpurgis

Banned
It honestly sounds exactly as before. I guess it is slightly less cryptic. It has gone from "Release a game on PS4 but can't release a game for Xbone? Even though our public policy is against working with you, talk with us because we have a secret policy that we can't talk about!" to "We just ask that you go back to that one year old game or w/e and add something special to make our Xbone owners feel first class!". He did reach that second stage a little while ago though.

Man Phil Spencer sure is something special.

On PS4, they have no such policy. Even though that's not really a policy - "Hey if you can add it, but you also don't have to." That just equals "do whatever you want" in the end.

Microsoft's policy is more explicit, in that you do have to go through the red tape of talking about this stuff with Chris and whomever to get exemptions.

Exactly.

TMU, the original parity clause was that if a game released on PS3 first, forget about releasing it later on Xbox 360 later, you either release it on both, or you're locked out.

Is that gone? yes, but there are those that refuse to let it go. "Parity Clause" description has evolved from what I described above, to:

"If you can't release on both, come talk to us first and we'll help you make it happen"

To: "If you released on Sony first and want to come to Xbox later, that's fine, but lets talk about making that title exciting again by adding extra content"

To: insert the next "Goal Post Parity Clause meaning Here"__________________.

Via chubigans:

The indie parity clause dates back to the Xbox 360, where MS mandated that you could not release a game on the 360 at a later date than any other version without having exclusive free content for Xbox owners.

Since the launch of the XB1, MS has revised that policy for the worse. Now that loophole is closed, and devs are not allowed to release an XB1 version of their game, period, if they have already released it on PS4. At the time of the indie parity announcement, MS allowed games that were already announced for PS4 to be released at a later date on XB1. Those games included Contrast, Warframe, and many other PS4 launch window titles. There are now no more titles that fall under this loophole.

There are three ways around this clause. The first is to release your game simultaneously on PS4 and XB1. The second is to launch first on XB1 and release a PS4 version later. Finally, the third is asking Phil Spencer for a free pass, which has NDA'd guidelines and specifics that I cannot get into, nor know the specifics of.

If anything has changed, it sounds like Spencer has rolled back the Parity Clause to the 360 days' interpretation of the rule, plus a 12 month grace period. You still need a 'special deal' with Spencer, the details of which are NDA'd, and you are still required to put in extra feature work to release on XB1, which apparently doesn't make enough financial sense to the indies that are otherwise staying away from the platform.

Business as usual, the parity clause is real and it's keeping indies from releasing on XB1.

I don't know that. The problem isn't with the company but the policy (official or not).
That brings up a good question as to why we haven't heard this coming from the Sony side.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Seems like he's differentiating between games that just release later because of resources - which they don't require special content added to them; and games that are releasing later because of a deal with Sony, which they do ask for special content.

Basically.

I'm ok with him having that view. The way he/they seem to view it is, if you're an indie who is in a position to "do a deal" with Sony, then you should have no issue doing one with Microsoft. Which is fair enough.

But if you just don't have the ability to launch on both, then they'll wait.

Seems reasonable enough. Ideally they shouldn't care either way but I can understand why they'd want it that way.

malfcn

Seems clear to me and people want to interpret it negatively. However, or could be more clear still.

What is the scale of special?
If it's a skin or something simple that's fine.
The usual goty version could work too. That's pretty standard for re-release or later released games.

Is this asking or telling them to do something special. Probably on a case by case term.

"Come talk to us."
You (MS), should be reaching out and talking to them. They have done an okay job at getting some exclusives, but there could be more and with a larger library of multi platform titles.

Except it's not a policy on other platforms.

Sorry, Microsoft is the asshole here.

No, I'm not saying it's a policy anywhere else, I'm saying many devs believe that adding something exclusive to a version releasing later makes sense and adds value to their game.

Phil's making it sound like they no longer require this. If he's lying, then yeah, their policy sucks.

I don't understand what's the issue?

What's wrong with wanting some extra content if the game isn't going to release on your hardware for a year? he even offers up some MS ninjas to help bring the game back to the spotlight.

I mean, when tombraider comes to the ps4, do people want the exact game that is being released in the fall to be released a year later?

Trup1aya

It's the same exact thing they've been saying all along... If the release is staggered because of a deal with another party, the Xbox version needs to have something to make its version standout...

It really never seemed unreasonable to me...

Edit: some of the things developers have done to get on Xbox one after timed exclusivity have been so trivial, I really don't understand why a dev would forgo the system altogether.

AP90

Here we go... people are going to get overly excited about this all over again. People really need to let this go. Whether its known or not I believe every console maker has done this before, except there is more of a mob mentality this time around.

Amir0x

Banned
No, I'm not saying it's a policy anywhere else, I'm saying many devs believe that adding something exclusive to a version releasing later makes sense and adds value to their game.

Phil's making it sound like they no longer require this. If he's lying, then yeah, their policy sucks.

He's not. Read this again:

Phil Spencer said:
If another platform does a deal with you as a developer to build an exclusive version of your game for them, and you can't ship on my platform for a year, when the game comes out in a year let's just work together to make it special in some way. People complained about that, but you did a deal with somebody else and you got paid for it and I'm happy - we do those same deals, so I'm not knocking you. It's going to be better for you, actually, because people don't want last year's game, they want something special and new.

He's essentially being pretty explicit here saying that if you release a game for another platform first (say you have a "first on PS4" deal for financial reasons because you're an indie dev and it's fucking expensive to develop games), then you have to discuss with Phil a good reason why you can't add something new to your game.

It's a policy of adding content for exclusives, and discussing adding content for other versions of games. And to circumvent that policy, you need to talk to Chris or whomever to explain why and get an exemption. It's bonkers. And why they will continue to lose the indie war.

Do you have any proof that Sony = "Suggests" and MS = "forces"?

The Sony part is only an assumption, Capy may've decided to add those characters entirely by themselves for all I know, I just thought it made sense to suggest "hey, you could probably add some things and further incentivize people to pick it up."

As for the Microsoft bit, well we've got the Skullgirls devs, who were told they had to add an entirely new character to the game (which costs a shitload, like $100k if I remember correctly) if they wanted to release the game on Xbone. Microsoft eventually backtracked on this but that was their original demand.

Are you serious? Have you missed all the former Xbox exclusives that've been ported over to PS3/PS4/Vita with no additions at all? Dust, Fez, Limbo, etc. There's pretty obviously no policy at all.

Edit: Also, trying to twist what I said into an attempt to equate Microsoft and Sony's policies is pretty pathetic.

Here we... people are going to get overly excited about this all over again. People really need to let this go. Whether its known or not I believe every console maker has done this before.

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

Waaaay more downloadables are releasing on PS4.

Toki767

I don't know that. The problem isn't with the company but the policy (official or not).
That brings up a good question as to why we haven't heard this coming from the Sony side.

I mean...they released a 4 year old game (Bastion) with no additions at all. It's kind of safe to assume that they have no such clause.

None of those games have any deals with Sony or Nintendo none released simultaneously. Which means they don't fall under that specification in the first place as the extra content is for games with deals as said by Phil.

Exactly my point. I'm saying some people are confusing it and saying that EVERY game that comes late needs new content. I've seen it a lot.

I don't understand what's the issue?

What's wrong with wanting some extra content if the game isn't going to release on your hardware for a year?

Well I think when this discussion started it came from developers who said that they were being told they HAD to add the content. It wasn't a question of wanting it but requiring it.

That why we keep getting this odd langue about 'come talk to us' and 'we'll work something out' as if they acknowledge it but don't want to put people off.

New002

I am not upset, I just think that line of thought is stupid.

I see nothing wrong with encouraging devs to add unique content if their game is going to be coming to the console later on down the line behind the PS4 or WII U. Now, blocking games completely if they don't add that content? Yeah that's lame. From the looks of it though this doesn't seem to be the case. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Because we know how that happened. It wasn't even Sony's idea.

To hear Capy co-founder and president Nathan Vella tell it, the process of getting Yoshida's likeness in-game was maybe the most painless high-level corporate decision ever. Vella says the team at Capy were working on a way to differentiate the PlayStation versions of Super Time Force Ultra from their Xbox and PC predecessors. They proposed putting Shu in the game, sending a mockup of how the PlayStation veteran might look and play.

The process boiled down to — and we're paraphrasing here — "You cool with this, Sony?" "Sure. Go ahead." "OK." It may have actually involved a few more steps, but Vella said he marveled at the ease of the request.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/6/7346539/playstation-shuhei-yoshida-super-time-force-ultra-vita-ps4

HTupolev

The parity requirement isn't technically a clause, you see.

Still weird semantics babbling, I thought Microsoft had their Phil Spencer Image thing figured out better than that.

Awesome. Thanks for the Monthly Parity Clause Update brought to you by Square Space! "Build it beautiful!"

How often do we really need to ask this guy the same question and get the same answer?

He's not. Read this again:

He's essentially being pretty explicit here saying that if you release a game for another platform first (say you have a "first on PS4" deal for financial reasons because you're an indie dev and it's fucking expensive to develop games), then you have to discuss with Phil a good reason why you can't add something new to your game.

It's a policy of adding content for exclusives, and discussing adding content for other versions of games. And to circumvent that policy, you need to talk to Chris or whomever to explain why and get an exemption. It's bonkers. And why they will continue to lose the indie war.

Eh, I guess I just don't have a problem with that specific scenario. If you're doing a deal with Sony for one year exclusivity, adding something small to the XB1 version releasing a year later seems ok to me. I don't think it should be necessary by any means, but it doesn't bother me.

What would bother me would be a situation where a small indie dev only has the resources to release on one platform at a time, but since PS4 gets the game, say, two months earlier due to this, MS would require them to add something extra, since the game is launching later on XB1. If that's part of their clause, it's complete BS. It sounds like it's not.

That being said, regardless of my personal feelings on the matter, you're right. Even if I think parts of this clause are reasonable, it seems to have hurt MS pretty badly, so they should just get rid of it altogether. Or, at the very least, give devs a real incentive to add exclusive content if they want to, but make it fully optional, with no red tape needed to get around it.

Top Bottom