• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video game characters who are based from other characters

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Whether fictional or real life, plenty of video game characters tend to be inspired by/based from an existing character, or is a homage to said character. Unsurprisingly enough this is quite apparent on early 90's fighting games and even today you still see shades of them.

While I wouldn't mind "this character looks like <person>" stuff, let's at least focus more on official ones that are outright inspired by characters.

Let's get the most common one out of the way - Fei Long, the Marshals, and Kim Dragon from World Heroes (sadly unrelated to Kim Kaphwan though some attribute Kim to this guy) all reference Bruce Lee. Then there's Hon Fu and Lee who reference Jackie Chan.

First off is Jojo. Fucking Jojo man. Inspired a lot of fighting game characters. Especially Part 2. It's why it's the best part.

Rose and Lisa LIsa are one of the common examples, complete with the scarf.

Rose_Lisa.png

Gill and Kars even share the homoerotic muscular look, and with being gods and all.

latest
Kars_ASB.jpg

There's also Dio, the boss from World Heroes, who resemble Kars. But aside from that, he goes WRYYYYYY! and MUDA MUDA! too like the other Dio.

neodio11.jpg

People say Brocken (from World Heroes) is a clone of M. Bison / Dictator, and I agree. But there's also another reference to him - our lovable Nazi cyborg of course. In fact he and Stroheim even share the same origins of sorts. And of course, Guile mimics Stroheim too (kinda hilarious when you think about it). Brocken himself is apparently named after Brocken Jr.

dQyIpQx.gif
GuileVsStroheim.jpg

Away from Street Fighter, we got Polnareff and everyone's favorite electric guy, Benimaru. He himself has moves named after various shows (Electrigger from Red Baron, Shinkuu Katategoma and Genei Hariken from Hurricane Polymar).

latest

We also get Juri and Part 6's protagnost, Jolyne. Surprisingly enough we don't references to other protagonists.

500px-Juri_Jolyne_Kujo.jpg

Besides Jojo, there's also Hokuto no Ken for reference.

Colonel, the guy who either (in the anime) is Shin's servant or (in the manga) believed in the coming of god, and a sub-villain in the first arc, is referenced by Rolento and Heidern.

fightingmanga13.jpg

Zeus from World Heroes definitely screams Souther. It doesn't help that Tetsuo Hara did the character art.

Wh2jetnorm-2.png

Some miscellaneous stuff.

Muscle Power (World Heroes) is Hulk Hogan

whpmuscle-5.png

And of course, K9999 is a character based on Tetsuo from Akira

hqdefault.jpg

Know any other character similarities/basis?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I dunno, some are fresh from them. Like people said Zangief and Vega/Claw were from HnK but the closest they resemble were random flunkies (and I think the supposed Zangief one is anime only).

Platy

DgPxeAd.jpg

Mix 2 art of fighting guys and you have Dan ! =D

And some say that Robert Garcia himself is basicaly Steaven Seagal

I dunno, some are fresh from them. Like people said Zangief and Vega/Claw were from HnK but the closest they resemble were random flunkies (and I think the supposed Zangief one is anime only).
Well maybe not other characters, but real people. Zangief is based on a guy named Zangief, Ryu is based on some karate legend, Bison is based on an anime villain, Johnny Cage is JCVD, everyone is Bruce Lee, etc. Blanka and Dhalsim may be original creations but I honestly kinda doubt it.

EloKa

I think Nathan Drake from Uncharted is a homage to Indiana Jones from the Movies. And Indiana Jones movies are based on the games.

Game > Movie > Game

Wiktor

Warcraft's Athras is such a painfully obvious Elric of Melnibogne rip-of. It feels like if some kid decided to make a clone of Elric, only make him even more "badass" in a way that only kids would consider badass

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Warcraft's Athras is such a painfully obvious Elric of Melnibogne rip-of. It feels like if some kid decided to make a clone of Elric, only make him even more "badass" in a way that only kids would consider badass
First I have heard of this Elric. Nice info.

Other people have explained it here and there are lots of articles about it, I suggest you look it up! Even Q :)

I mean just off the top of my head for Street Fighter alone:
Ryu
Sagat
Dee Jay
Alex
Hugo
Zangief
Bison
Balrog
Q
Gill
Urien
Necalli
C. Viper
El Fuerte
Fei Long
Vega
Dan
Juri
All of the ones mentioned in the OP

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
qcjaJE8.png

Can't think of a character directly based off him (closest is Machamp, who I always wondered if his horned-head and big lips were supposed to mimic Kinniku a bit), but a lot of fighting games have homages to moves used in Kinnikuman like the Kinniku Buster.

Sephzilla

Donte from DmC: Devil May Cry is Tameem, the game's creator.

tumblr_mc5ex87WWa1r7m32co1_1280.jpg

As much as I hated DmC, to be fair, in the final game Dante looks less like Tameem (granted all of the complaining about self-insert Tameem happened before they revealed Reboot Dante's final look, so its entirely possible his look was updated after people called out Tameem on this).

DrArchon

...BE those characters ?

is suposed to be

????

I know about Lina. I'm just talking about how they all used to be Warcraft/Diablo/Starcraft/Whatever characters back in the days of Dota 1. That's why Windranger used to be Windrunner and why everyone still calls Nature's Prophet Furion after all.

Alx

I always assumed that Lau Chan (Virtua Fighter) was a rip-off of Taopaipai (Dragon Ball)

lau-pr.gif
taopaipai.jpg

But maybe there's an older reference that I'm not aware of.

BadWolf

KOF's K9999 was a major homage to Tetsuo from Akira, they even got the same voice actor:

k9999-crazyarm.gif

Cheng-Fu from Double Dragon (Neo-Geo) was based on Jackie Chan from Drunken Master:

chengfu-drunken.png

chengfu_small.gif

chengfu-doubledragon-win2.png

Wiktor

First I have heard of this Elric. Nice info.

Yeah. Recent years haven't been too kind to his recognizability. Lack of movies, tv shows or games will do that. But it wasn't long ago (90s) where he was easily one of top3 most recognizable fantasy heroes.

Lulubop

qcjaJE8.png

Can't think of a character directly based off him (closest is Machamp, who I always wondered if his horned-head and big lips were supposed to mimic Kinniku a bit), but a lot of fighting games have homages to moves used in Kinnikuman like the Kinniku Buster.

Yea, Zangief's ultra 2 in SF is the Kinnikudriver and El Fuerte's is the Kinnikuspark (incomplete)

SerTapTap

Maybe it's cheating, but Neptunia, being a parody of gaming, has tons of these:

Broccoli, based on the company of the same name, is just basically Puchiko from one of Broccoli's IPs. It's even called out explicitly (the main character simply calls her Puchiko)

MAGES. (you have to remember the .) is basically Okabe from Steins;Gate in her dialogs, she loves Dr Pepper (it's given an off-brand name ingame), talks about The Organization and is basically a mad scientist/magician.

Cyberconnect2/CC2 is a mix of Kite and Blackrose from .Hack. Her EXE skill also has some similarities to Data Drain.

Note that all the above characters are licensed directly from the companies they're named after.

S Sha (Square Enix) is Paine mixed with Squall from the final fantasy series, and also has Sora's crown in her Golden form.

I could go on for days though

IMO I think it was just the idea of the character and his name they used at first; they never really started borrowing from Snake Plissken's appearance until MGS2. Until then they've used what IIRC was Mel Gibson's face for his in-game portraits in MG2 and apparently his MGS1 appearance was based on Christopher Walken.

Top Bottom