• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft Crowned Most Iconic Video Games Character of All Time, According to BAFTA Poll

Source - Bafta Press Release

BAFTA has revealed the results of its landmark players’ poll to establish the Most Iconic Video Games Character of All Time. Launched to celebrate the 20th BAFTA Games Awards on Thursday 11 April, the poll was engaged with by over 4,000 players from all over the world.

Today’s top 20 list features characters of all shapes and sizes from anthropomorphic animals to gun-wielding spies and brings together the most recognisable faces from across the world of games. These characters, and the games in which they star, boast a collective 44 BAFTA Games Awards between them over the past two decades, and make up some of the best-loved entries into the canon of video game history, and some of the most memorable characters of any medium.

Taking the number one spot is the generation-spanning heroine Lara Croft, star of the Tomb Raider franchise. Lara Croft first appeared in 1996, nearly three decades ago, and since then she has been remastered and evolved several times for television, film, video games and even her own live immersive experience in London, England.
This year alone, Tomb Raider I–III Remastered was released across multiple platforms and the highly anticipated Netflix TV show Tomb Raider: The Legend of Lara Croft is scheduled for release later in the year. Shelley Blond, the original voice of Lara Croft, will also present an award at the 20th BAFTA Games Awards on Thursday 11 April, in the official ceremony hosted at the Queen Elizabeth Hall in London.

Jumping into the second spot is Mario, of the eponymous Nintendo franchise. Created by the legendary Japanese game designer and recipient of BAFTA’s prestigious Fellowship, Shigeru Miyamoto, Mario has been the face of Nintendo and a highly recognisable character in the wider world of video games since he first appeared as Jumpman in the 1981 arcade game, Donkey Kong. Since then Mario has featured in many games - including this year’s BAFTA-nominated game, Super Mario Bros. Wonder.

Taking third spot is Agent 47 from the Hitman series. Conceived by Danish video game developer IO Interactive in 1998 and debuting in 2000 with the release of Hitman: Codename 47, Agent 47 has become an icon in the games industry, captivating gamers worldwide. The genetically engineered assassin has since appeared in eight mainline games, two spin-offs, two books, one comic series and two films.

The Most Iconic Video Games Characters of All Time (ranked in order of votes received):
  1. Lara Croft, Tomb Raider
    First introduced to the world in 1996 in Tomb Raider for the Sega Saturn, Lara Croft has appeared in over 15 games, three films, multiple novelisations and comic book adaptations, and an upcoming Netflix animated series.
  2. Mario, Super Mario
    One of the most senior characters on this list, Mario was created in 1981 – not as the star of his own series, but as a player character in the first instalment in the Donkey Kong series. From humble beginnings, he has appeared in over 200 video games, two films, and numerous other multimedia adaptations.
  3. Agent 47, Hitman
    A genetically-enhanced clone with a penchant for murder, Agent 47 made his video game debut in 2000’s Hitman: Codename 47. Since then, he’s killed his way across screens both big and small, appearing in over ten games, two novelisations, and two live-action film adaptations.
  4. Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic
    Sonic the Hedgehog sprinted his way into the hearts and minds of fans worldwide in 1991 as the star of Sonic the Hedgehog for the Sega Genesis. He has appeared in over 100 video games as both a main character and supporting cast, as well as starring in several TV shows and two films, with a third slated for release in late 2024.
  5. Sackboy, LittleBigPlanet
    One of the most customisable characters on this list, Sackboy made his video game debut in 2008 as the star of Sony’s LittleBigPlanet to instant critical acclaim. He’s since starred in all six LittleBigPlanet mainline games, as well as making an appearance in numerous other game franchises as everything from a playable character to an adorable easter egg.
  6. Pac-Man, Pac-Man
    This little yellow hockey puck has appeared in over 50 games and has made appearances in innumerable other trans-media properties.
  7. Link, The Legend of Zelda
    The silent protagonist of the Legend of Zelda franchise, Link has appeared in 20 games in the series, as well as starring in his own animated series and multiple comic book and manga adaptations.
  8. Master Chief, HALO
    Full name Master Chief Petty Officer John-117, this Spartan super-soldier appears in six games in the HALO franchise. He appears as the main character in three of the 19 HALO novels, as well as in the 2012 film Halo 4: Forward Until Dawn and the 2022 HALO television series.
  9. Kratos, God of War
    From murder-hungry Spartan warrior to protective parent, Kratos has appeared in eight games in the God of War franchise. He’s also made appearances in two comic series, three novels, and in several games outside the God of War franchise.
  10. Shadowheart, Baldur’s Gate 3
    One of the youngest characters on this list in terms of release date, Shadowheart charmed her way into the hearts of players worldwide with the release of 2023’s Baldur’s Gate 3.
  11. Arthur Morgan, Red Dead Redemption 2
    The protagonist of 2018’s Red Dead Redemption 2, Arthur Morgan is one of the few characters on this list to only appear in a single game.
  12. Pikachu, Pokémon
    The only Pokémon to appear on this list, Pikachu has appeared in over 100 properties across screens both big and small, as well as making appearances in multiple comic books and manga.
  13. Steve, Minecraft
    The iconic player character from 2011’s Minecraft (the best-selling video game of all time as of 2024), Steve has also made appearances in four other games including the Minecraft spinoff Minecraft Dungeons.
  14. Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid
    Debuting in 1987’s Metal Gear, Solid Snake (real name David) is a stealthy super-spy who’s appeared in over ten games in the Metal Gear franchise, as well as in multiple novelisations of the game series.
  15. Crash Bandicoot, Crash Bandicoot
    Introduced to the world in 1996’s Crash Bandicoot, this genetically enhanced marsupial has appeared in 20+ video games throughout his lifespan.
  16. Cloud Strife, Final Fantasy VII
    A mercenary and man of few words, Cloud Strife has made 30+ appearances in both video games and wider media properties since his video game debut as the protagonist of 1997’s Final Fantasy VII.
  17. Astarion, Baldur’s Gate 3
    Much like his fellow party member Shadowheart, Astarion’s rogueish charms have made him a fan favourite since his appearance in 2023’s Baldur’s Gate 3.
  18. Kazuma Kiryu, Yakuza
    A gruff former Yakuza mobster, Kazuma Kiryu has appeared in ten games in the Yakuza/Like a Dragon franchise, as well as starring in multiple film adaptations and a stage play of the franchise.
  19. Ellie Williams, The Last of Us
    Best-known as the star of 2013’s The Last of Us, Ellie Williams actually did not make her first appearance in the game. The world’s first introduction to the bad-mouthed teenager was in The Last of Us: American Dreams, a four-issue comic book series that served as a prequel to the game. She’s since starred in sequels and DLC for the The Last of Us franchise, as well as the 2023 TV adaptation of the game.
  20. Nathan Drake, Uncharted
    The gentleman explorer with a penchant for violence, Nathan Drake stars in six games in the Uncharted franchise, as well as multiple comic book series and a live-action film adaptation.
Shelley Blond, performer and first voice actor for Lara Croft (number one in the poll), said: “I had no clue when voicing the original Tomb Raider game that it would be such a global phenomenon and neither did Eidos or Core Design. They had only ever done children’s games before and of course they hoped it would be a success, but I think it went above and beyond any and all expectations. When creating the voice for Lara Croft, it came just by looking at the rough sketches I had in front of me and I took note of the fact that she was a female Indiana Jones type of character, ballsy and well spoken. Lara is very special to me purely because she means so much to the gamers. I love hearing stories from people around the world who played the game and channelled Lara to escape their bullies or to help them feel stronger when they wanted to come out to their loved ones. And most beautiful of all is hearing how gamers used to play it with their parent/s who are no longer with us and the sound of my voice, the music from the game and sound effects are all wrapped up in their memories of that loved one. I’m honoured to play a part in that for them.”

Blond goes on by joking, “I found out well into dating my husband that he had played Tomb Raider and used to enjoy hearing Lara scream and say ‘No’. Now of course he has to put up with that on a daily basis."
Shigeru Miyamoto, legendary game designer, creator of Mario and BAFTA Fellowship recipient (2010), told Variety last year: “When I first came up with the character, and we created the first Mario game, we had a limited capacity of the pixels that we could use. It was technically a 16x16 pixel square that we were able to use for characters – but as a designer, I thought that I needed to make the best out of those 16 dots. I felt it was my job to draw a character with recognisable features, so if I draw a big nose and a moustache I don’t need to draw a mouth. Also, if I draw a big hat I don’t need to draw hair, etc. And we were able to, within that limited space, create such an iconic character. I was really happy with the result, and I felt that this would be the character who will be my gaming legacy.”
David Smith, Co-Founder & Technical Director at Media Molecule and co-designer of Sackboy (number five in the poll) said: “Sackboy started life as a humble yellow and magenta lump of debug graphics, with wiggling legs for running and stick arms for grabbing. Sackboy was never meant to have a gender but the name stuck. Their character is anchored in chaotic fun and creativity with an eager dog-like personality! Beyond this, they are whoever you want them to be. Sackboy grabs on to things with R1, the same as Wander in Shadow of the Colossus and this is no coincidence! The games from Team Ico gave us great confidence that 'grabbing' was an exciting addition to the tried and tested 'run and jump' formula.”

As Christopher Judge said in his acceptance speech at the BAFTA Games Awards last year (2023), as he took home the award for Performer in a Leading Role for Kratos in God of War - “it’s the role of a lifetime”. Kratos reached number nine in the Most Iconic Games Character Poll, Christopher Judge reflects on his time creating the character exclusively for BAFTA, ”Playing Kratos has truly been a great joy of my professional career. How often do you play a character that gives you, the actor, as much as you give him? From being a father to even making me redefine what it truly means to be a man. Being a man isn’t about muscle, and it isn’t about how loud you are - ultimately, Kratos gave me that it’s about listening, and loving, and ultimately about opening your own heart and accepting being loved… what a gift!”
Neil Newbon, BAFTA-nominated performer at this year’s BAFTA Games Awards for his portrayal of Astarion (number 17 in the poll) in Baldur’s Gate 3, said: “Playing Astarion has been a career highlight for me. To be able to spend so long with a character, work with such an amazing company as Larian and working alongside the gorgeous writer Stephen Rooney, as well the awesome directors and crew at Pitstop Productions and employ every acting tool I’ve ever studied, to go incredibly deep into such a versatile and layer character, has been a dream job.

The 20th BAFTA Games Awards take place on Thursday 11 April 2024 at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, Southbank Centre, London. The Awards will be hosted by comedian Phil Wang and livestreamed to audiences across the globe via BAFTA's YouTube, Twitch, and X channels.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Season 4 Episode 13 GIF by The Office

Wildebeest

Lara Croft was everywhere for years in the UK, but I don't know if anyone under 30 was so overexposed to her.

But I do fear that Poland might declare war on BAFTA due to this snub of their cheap Elric of Melniboné ripoff.

Last edited:
Mario isn't number 1? Certainly odd.

Mario
Sonic
Link
Mario has always been the most iconic character. He cant be the king forever and rightfully so.
Same with Messi being the footballer of the year EVERY year just because he's Messi.

Mario has shoehorned himself in all videogame categories (racing, sports, platform) just purely for Nintendo's greed. Glad he's now no longer recognised as the most iconic.
He stopped deserving that title when the competition in named genres grew and came with better games.

Mario is a mascot. No longer the accomplished nr.1 and its a good thing.

Madflavor

Is this the wrong choice? Yeah. Is it outrageous? Absolutely not. I do think a strong argument could be made that if there was a Mount Rushmore of iconic video game characters, Lara would be up there. Tons of people know who Lara is. Even people who don't play video games. Her stance is iconic. If you have a silhouette of an athletic woman with a ponytail, holding two pistols, people may not know exactly who that is, but chances are they'll recognize that image.

Now if you want to talk outrageous, Agent 47 being up there in the Top 3 is definitely a choice.

Last edited:

Fake

Lara Croft was pretty much a forgotten franchise until the remaster of the first game, so I don't take this rank serious.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Lara Croft only won because of her boobs

Makes no sense to pick her over Sonic or Mario

Last edited:

deeptech

Lara Croft was pretty much a forgotten franchise until........
Is that right?
But jokes aside, I actually do frequently remember fun I had with TR2 which was my first, as well as 4 and 5 which I liked as well, and with it always "I should play them again sometimes" comes up.

Fake

Is that right?

Her last movie adaptation was pretty bad. People mocked saying Giraffe Croft because of the actress neck.

There are others franchise more relevants today because they keep release suceful movies/games.

I mean, no way Lara can beat Mario after both recent games and movie got huge praise/famouns.

That doesn't mean she's not iconic. Superman is not as popular as he used to be, but the character himself is still just as iconic as he was during his peak.

I never said that LOL. I don't take that rank serious because no way in hell she would rank in first place in a world where he have Mario, Link, Batman, Spider-Man and Sonic.

Would be more believable if she rank at top 10. Being the number one really sound like a bias rank.

Last edited:

tvdaXD

I feel like Niko Bellic is way more iconic than some characters on this list, and I like Nathan as a character but I wouldn't call him iconic lol.

Z O N E

How in the world is Sackboy more iconic over:

Master Chief
Pac-Man
Pikachu
Minecraft Steve
Kratos
Solid Snake
Link
Crash Bandicoot

Honestly, why is Sackboy even in the list compared to 99% of the list actually...

Also, why is a BG3 character in the list for "most iconic video games character of all time" when the game literally came out last year...

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Lara is iconic... buuuut something tells me this was because they wanted a woman at no 1 🤣

I mean above Mario... really?

This is why polls and stats especially from Journos are almost always to be ignored.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

American's are all like "I'm really confused buddy why wouldn't anyone vote for the iconic American character Brad McBradson from Liberty Freedomville, Virginia State, with his iconic American guns and iconic American generic face, that's some twisted perspective you got there little buddy".

BlackTron

Mario has always been the most iconic character. He cant be the king forever and rightfully so.
Same with Messi being the footballer of the year EVERY year just because he's Messi.

Mario has shoehorned himself in all videogame categories (racing, sports, platform) just purely for Nintendo's greed. Glad he's now no longer recognised as the most iconic.
He stopped deserving that title when the competition in named genres grew and came with better games.

Mario is a mascot. No longer the accomplished nr.1 and its a good thing.

Ok well if Mario isn't most iconic, who is? Surely you aren't suggesting it is Lara Croft, with this OP serving as evidence? Surely.

Top Bottom