• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Health GAF, brag about your illness/ailment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monster Zero

To the anonymity of the internet, represent your ailments. For example, I'm intolerant of lactose, I have poor vision. A bad wrist from a broken bone healing improperly. I had asthma as a child but that's passed fortunately

I'm in pretty much perfect health... although the curvature of my back is terrible thanks to video games so I guess that'll be a problem in the future.

GamerJM

Banned
I have dyspraxia, dysgraphia, anxiety, weakened muscles, and near-sightedness. I suspect I'm somewhere on the autism spectrum, when I got tested for high functioning autism as a young child they apparently said that I exhibit several behaviors that typically indicate high functioning autism but not enough to be considered such (or something along those lines, I was too young to remember this but that's what my dad told me).

Dunkley

My brain constantly reconstructs the room I am in because I have some sort of perception ailment where it can't store that information and constantly has to recreate it.

I dunno how it is called as I was 9 when I was diagnosed with it and they simply called it a "crippled perception of room and body" to me and googling isn't helping me either. All I know is that due to it I get super worn out fast if I play any sports with a moving object, like soccer, because my brain is constantly reconstructing the area while I am trying to track an object.

Arjen

I got Ménière's disease. It's an inner ear disorder that causes episodes of vertigo and tinnitus.

Last year I contracted cholera in South East Asia (fucking Laos) and didnt know until i got home. After being sick at home for a week amd the local doctor just telling me it was flu, my stool tests came though showing it was cholera and the local health authority quarantined me in a ward by my self for a few days.
Had to to answer so many questions, like who did I make contact with at the airport, did I touch anyone and even sexual activity.

Thanks to great nurses though, made me feel much better about the continual river of shit and vomit escaping me between my cold and hot spells.

Would not wish it on anyone, more sad its a disease most catch in warzones where they can't get proper treatment and die in a pretty agonising way.

Hilti92

Last year I contracted cholera in South East Asia (fucking Laos) and didnt know until i got home. After being sick at home for a week amd the local doctor just telling me it was flu, my stool tests came though showing it was cholera and the local health authority quarantined me in a ward by my self for a few days.
Had to to answer so many questions, like who did I make contact with at the airport, did I touch anyone and even sexual activity.

Thanks to great nurses though, made me feel much better about the continual river of shit and vomit escaping me between my cold and hot spells.

Would not wish it on anyone, more sad its a disease most catch in warzones where they can't get proper treatment and die in a pretty agonising way.
That sucks. Where were you in Laos? I had no problems there luckily.

BahamutPT

This is my right knee. Exostosis
AVwG96O.jpg

123rl

I have ridiculously high blood pressure due to hypertrophy, which means I have thick vessels in my heart so my heart has to work harder than normal. It can lead to angina and other problems

Darkwater

Most of all, depression. I need to be careful and put a lot of energy into health and happiness, otherwise the shit really hits the fan.

One wonders how much of that is nature and how much is nurture.

Qasiel

I was a large baby when I was born and on the way out it cracked one of my ribs. Instead of healing normally, the rib intertwined with itself (like when you cross your fingers) so I now have this bony protrusion which digs into my heart/lungs whenever I do anything too strenuous (such as running).

velociraptor

I couldn't fucking sleep all night and now I'm pissed off and cranky.

This is my second sleepness night this month.

I took 8mg melatonin and it didn't do shit.

Why doesn't med school teach you about the IMPORTANT shit... like how to sleep properly and curing insomnia? Bah.

NEO0MJ

Sickle-cell anemia. I get sick easily, have very low stamina, and am at risk of suffering heart problems and sickle-cell crisis. I got hit with a few crisis in my life (like, once every 6-8 year) and they were some of the worst moments in my life.

Also, I'm flat footed which leads to feet, joint and leg problems.

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
I'm bipolar, manic depressive. Been on paxil, depakote, lithium and zoloft. Currently not taking any meds. Hated the way they made me feel. They did help but I felt like I was a walking zombie devoid of any emotion.

It's been a rough ride. I didn't think I was going to make through my 20s. Yet here I am in my mid 30s getting by.

I've also got a bit of a drinking problem but it doesn't control me.

BahamutPT

Can you get that fixed or?

Yes, should be relatively simple to cut it out. But there's no hurry since it's not much of an issue.
I only feel it when I bend my knee a certain way or when I bump that side of the knee into something. I'll eventually get it removed.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I couldn't fucking sleep all night and now I'm pissed off and cranky.

This is my second sleepness night this month.

I took 8mg melatonin and it didn't do shit.

Why doesn't med school teach you about the IMPORTANT shit... like how to sleep properly and curing insomnia? Bah.

sleep hygiene?
the efficacy of melatonin is shaky at best

Not sure why anyone would want to brag about health issues, they kinda suck.

I have RA, which I have take methotrexate and enbrel for. The first is a chemo drug, and man I hate it.

Autoimmune diseases in general are awful. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Sickle-cell anemia. I get sick easily, have very low stamina, and am at risk of suffering heart problems and sickle-cell crisis. I got hit with a few crisis in my life (like, once every 6-8 year) and they were some of the worst moments in my life.

Also, I'm flat footed which leads to feet, joint and leg problems.
Damn son. I have the trait which gave me a few scares years back while running in the heat, but i couldnt imagine what you go through.

Fliesen

I drunkenly tripped over a handrail last Saturday and got a laceration on my shin. Hope it's gonna turn out to be a really neat scar.

also, i just hit my head on a window when picking up my coffee tumbler.

now that i think about it, i've been having a chronically sore throat for like ... the last 8 months.

Syncytia

Uh minor vitamin D deficiency? I feel fine and can function completely normally without taking a supplement but if I do it's like "huh, I feel different somehow, in a good way."

Yes, should be relatively simple to cut it out. But there's no hurry since it's not much of an issue.
I only feel it when I bend my knee a certain way or when I bump that side of the knee into something. I'll eventually get it removed.

Ohh I had that!!! Tendons and what not travelled right over it when I walked and I got it removed. Much better now, but my knees are kinda screwy for other reasons.

NEO0MJ

My brain constantly reconstructs the room I am in because I have some sort of perception ailment where it can't store that information and constantly has to recreate it.

Does it effect you in stuff like video games or watching 3D movies?

I have only one functioning kidney

(and very underweight)

Not to sound ignorant but can't your second problem be fixed with eating more and exercising? Or is that difficult because of the first problem?

I'm bipolar, manic depressive. Been on paxil, depakote, lithium and zoloft. Currently not taking any meds. Hated the way they made me feel. They did help but I felt like I was a walking zombie devoid of any emotion.

I'd be too afraid to drop my meds if I had any mental problems. I wouldn't trust myself not to lose control. Good that it worked out well for you, though.

Damn son. I have the trait which gave me a few scares years back while running in the heat, but i couldnt imagine what you go through.

I'm actually pretty lucky I only suffered from it 3 times (pre/kindergarten, fourth grade, and mid-college). One of my cousins used to go to the hospital like once a year. Didn't help that he used to play a lot of football/soccer.

I have one boob. I'm a man. Its a decent size, you can tell when I wear a normal shirt. I've seen plenty of girls with smaller boobs then mine. I'm not fat either.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I've had two pulmonary embolisms and I'm now on a lifetime dose of warfarin.

That and I've been fat as fuck for the last four years, but that should hopefully be dealt with in the next six months.

Lactose intolerant, I wear glasses, aspergers syndrome, and Borderline personality disorder, with PTSD from shit that happened in childhood.

On the plus side I used to be obese but now I'm not.

yami4ct

Man I got a lissst if we go all the way back. Broke my left arm, have had to have stitches for nasty gashes in both legs (two separate occasions), had my adenoids out, and had a hernia as a baby. I also get ear infections at least once a year. They hurt. It sucks.

If we want to talk the weirdest thing that happened, around kindergarten I had a huge lump the size of a golfball swell up on my neck pretty much overnight. Doctor diagnosed it as an infected lymph node and it had to be taken out. Thankfully it wasn't cancerous, but they never figured out what caused it. I've got a kind of substantial (maybe 1-1.5 inch) indented scar on my neck because of it. Pretty much kills any chance I have at growing decent facial hair, but it's definitely a conversation piece, haha.

Oh, and I had muscle weakness on my left (I think?) arm. Another thing they had no explanation for as it wasn't neurological or any sort of muscle disorder. Hasn't caused me too much of an issue, but I can definitely feel it at times.

I've also got bouts of depression and anxiety (particularly social anxiety) I deal with, but that stuff isn't anything to brag about.

I also have kind of shit vision. I'm nearsighted. I'm not near as bad as some people, but it definitely requires glasses/contacts.

pfkas

I am bipolar but touch wood it's been in remission for a few years - mostly deal with anxiety periods.

I take stelazine and tegretol and by and large it controls my symptoms. It's a fine line between being under control and over medicated so I tweak it in either direction from time to time.

I used to have Peptus Excavatum, a respiratory ailment, ever since I was born. Visually, I would have a sunken chest, but fortunately not as much as the average one, though I still believe that it was the cause for a couple rare moments that I had heart palpitations.
It wasn't until I was starting to be a teen that I had surgery and now I no longer have one, and no heart palpitations have occurred since then.
I still know it sucks to have though. Even some guys at the school gym were concerned when they saw I had one.

Scoliosis, epilepsie, social anxiety disorder and depression.
My body hurts, can't drive, can't go outside, can't interact with most people and I feel awful a lot of the time. Shit sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom