• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Health GAF, brag about your illness/ailment

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEO0MJ

AFAIK they're not related but I'm trying, it's just not working.

Have you tried protein shakes? I used to weight 58 KG even though I was around 178 CM tall. After I started weight lifting more and taking whey I improved a lot. I think I'm around 68 KG now.

Monster Zero

AFAIK they're not related but I'm trying, it's just not working.

I know your pain, I was 6'3 138 after a bad flu left me bed ridden for 3 weeks. Having people say "Why don't you just eat" sucks where the thought of food turns your off. Irregular appetite and shit. What helped me was ensure after every thing I ate no matter how small, added an extra 700-100 calories a day to my diet. I'm now at 188 and I feel faaaantastic.

blurr

Have you tried protein shakes? I used to weight 58 KG even though I was around 178 CM tall. After I started weight lifting more and taking whey I improved a lot. I think I'm around 68 KG now.

I was told to stick to only vegetable protein or at most eggs, not too sure about protein shakes.

Kamion

I'm depressed (sometimes more sometimes less) and too scared to take medication for it (I had it prescribed a few times, even started taking it, but the side effects are super scary) so I try to deal somehow instead.

My back hurts sometimes - I go to the gym and sometimes I'm not sure whether it hurts or helps.

I also have bad teeth. Not like "rotting awful bad" but... I get cavities really really easily so I need to be careful and see a dentist very regularly. Doesn't help that I have a fear of dentists.

And I have a VERY soft sleep. I wake like 5-10 times a night. It's fun.

NEO0MJ

I was told to stick to only vegetable protein or at most eggs, not too sure about protein shakes.

Just buy a container of Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex, Dymatize Iso 100, or Jym Pro Jym (there's a lot of good options), and do some lifting 3/4 times a week for three months. I'm sure you'll notice some improvement.

1. Asthma! I'm a newbie, only had an inhaler for half a year or so

2. Lactose intolerance! Not too bad though, only really for like milk or ice cream. Cheese and yogurts don't tend to bother me.

3. Poor vision! Not so bad, but I have to try to read things that are a fair distance away (that a person with normal vision could see).

4. Cat allergies! They got better when I started to live with cats.

5. I can't consume aspartame! Gives me horrible asthma attacks.

blurr

Just buy a container of Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex, Dymatize Iso 100, or Jym Pro Jym (there's a lot of good options), and do some lifting 3/4 times a week for three months. I'm sure you'll notice some improvement.

I'll have to check on those but thanks. As for lifting, I've also been told not to lift anything heavy as much as possible but I guess I can start with something small.

Komo

Banned
I have chronic daily one sided headaches (not as bad as it sounds) due to tightness of muscles in my upper back. Symptoms vary in intensity depending on what I do throughout the day. For the most part though, it's quite manageable, but it does affect mood pretty heavily.

Not knowing what was causing it was the worst part. That alone caused a lot of depression and turned me into a hypochondriac, because my symptoms were very similar to that of a brain tumor especially with the anxiety amplifying everything.

Currently undergoing physical therapy for it. Nothing else really wrong with me apart from that.

spats

Psoriasis, which is amplified by stress, a bad diet and not exercising. It's a good thing I'm stressing my hair out, eating shit and not going outside!

NEO0MJ

I'll have to check on those but thanks. As for lifting, I've also been told not to lift anything heavy as much as possible but I guess I can start with something small.

I started out with really light stuff. Like, in some exercises the machine is almost weightless. Actually, I still do mostly light stuff. I feel that my body has hit a wall. Either that or I'm working out wrong again.

DoubleYou

I've had an ongoing headache for over three years now.
On top of that I've got muscular pains in my back, arms and legs. It's all related.

It's both of a blessing and a curse.
A curse for the obvious reasons.
A blessing because since it started, it has shown me that I need to relax way more. And since I did, my life improved dramatically. So I guess I'm quite optimistic about it.

I've had an ongoing headache for over three years now.
On top of that I've got muscular pains in my back, arms and legs. It's all related.

It's both of a blessing and a curse.
A curse for the obvious reasons.
A blessing because since it started, it has shown me that I need to relax way more. And since I did, my life improved dramatically. So I guess I'm quite optimistic about it.

I suffer from Cluster headaches and go to see a chiropractor once a month to have everything loosened up and every other day when I'm in a cycle, expensive but worth it to be (relatively) pain free

vern

I used to have ITP but luckily grew out of it. It's my earliest memories though, being 1-2 years old and always at the doctor I guess is traumatic enough to leave an impression in your brain.

Nothing really wrong with me now though. I think.

Zelias

Banned
Depression. My current meds actually seem to be keeping me stable though, unlike the first ones I took (did nothing), and the second ones I took (made me worse).

AudioNoir

Banned
- Keratosis pilaris (patches of very dry, bumpy skin)
- vision just crappy enough to need glasses to legally drive
- depression/anxiety/OCD (first two controlled well with an SSRI, the OCD still a pain in the ass)

Could be worse.

gruenel

Got mild tinnitus from too many rock concerts.

Social anxiety.

Allergic to cats, dogs, some types of non-roasted nuts and raw fruits. Hay fever.

Could be much worse, I guess. I can live just fine with these issues. I'd love to have a cat though.

maxcriden

Quoting a post I made last year.

I have daily migraines that are terrible. I have one right now and it really sucks. I have tried several prophylactics and abortives, botox injections, inpatient DHE treatment, ER treatment, and a second opinion from a big headache doctor at Dartmouth. I really hope you have better luck than I have. It's been getting worse and worse and it's been daily for like 2.5 yrs now. You learn to cope but it sucks.

They're slightly to mildly better now I suppose but still pretty wretched. Maybe moderately better some days. Still sucks but I'm grateful for any improvement.

Suffered with Osteosarcoma 6 years ago, left me with a foot drop on my right foot as a result of doctors needing to remove a nerve and my fibula bone.

This caused fatigue due to treatment, not so much now. Treatment was nasty, methotrexate and cisplatin. Both aged my heart and kidneys, but thats "normal" apparently.

Suffered with depression for a few years, but managed to overcome that.

Currently though, I have anxiety (ever since my parents got divorced when I was a child), minor scoliosis, foot drop, and I'm pretty sure I have ADD but never got tested.

Apart from that I'm all good :) nothing I suffer with really causes any affect on my life. Anxiety does occasionally though. Pushing myself out of my comfort zone is a task.

Magwik

Banned
Bipolar II disorder
What I assume to be permanently damaged muscle tissue around my wrist/ankle joints from never healing properly

cntr

Banned
I've had dry itchy ears for years.

Oh, and, I was misdiagnosed with schizophrenia instead of depression, and put on powerful antipsychotics for 4 years, which destroyed much of my ability to think clearly, to succeed at school, made me into a social hermit, and has caused brain damage that will take 1 to 2 years to recover back to full health.

Drazgul

I'm perfectly normal. It is the best.

o8avtWK.jpg

Stomach Ulcer, I have to watch how stressed out I get and I usually avoid alcohol because of how easily it wrecks my stomach.

Myopic with a bonus astigmatism! Hyperthyroidism. Gallstones. Going to the surgeon in a couple weeks to get set up to have my gallbladder sliced out.

Also have sickle cell trait and G6PD, but these don't really have any effect on my daily life and would only be a concern in specific situations.

Undead

Hmm, let's see.
Fucked up knee with difficulty walking, arthritis and other shit with that.
Kidney issues and liver issues from all the painkillers I have to take(plus side effect of OD).
Heart and brain issues as a result of an OD.
Suffer from BPD.

Also poor vision and asthma, so yeah that wraps it up nicely.

Migraines are my big one. They've been better over the summer (currently on my second in three months which is good by my standards) but still.

Sagroth

I was born on the autism spectrum.

In my childhood, I developed asthma and a heart murmur, which are still present.

As a teen, I developed seborhheic dermatitis, which is still present. I also developed PTSD, depression, and generalized anxiety due to childhood events that I began to see a therapist for(only now are those seeing significant improvement)

3 months ago, I was diagnosed with lupus(which is currently destroying my thyroid slowly), fibromyalgia, and low testosterone(like 1/3 of where it should be).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom