• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony : Paris Games Week press conference dated

People getting hyped, but is there any reason to? I can't think of anything too exciting at PGW that they wouldn't otherwise announce at PSX.

What a weird thing to say. So because it's not completely predictable, there's no reason to get hyped?

SCEE's conferences are usually the best of the year because their pacing is fantastic and their announcements come out of nowhere and are pretty unique and cool (WiLD, Rime, Helldivers, Tomorrow Children, Resogun, etc.). There's no reason to believe this trend has suddenly stopped now that SCEA hosts a (smaller) conference in December.

It's really about the size and buzz related to the shows themselves.

I disagree. It's about the strategic options available, not strictly about the shows itself.

The reason E3 has to be "big" is because Sony is not the only publisher having conferences there. By virtue of competition, they need to have bigguns there to, so that their mindshare doesn't lose out to EA, Ubi, etc. Plus with 3rd party partnerships, E3 is where Sony showcases the bulk of the content they're partnered with, since E3 is largely the only show 3rd party publishers care about.

OTOH, because no other publisher really cares too much about Gamescom in terms of announcements, new content updates, etc, the best way to own that mindshare but without feeling like it's a repeat of E3, is to focus on the things not at E3, and establish uniqueness, quantity and identity.

I've been so busy this month that the hype for this has gone completely over my head, unlike E3 and TGS. I guess that's a good thing though as my expectations are in check. What are we expecting to see tomorrow?

I've been so busy this month that the hype for this has gone completely over my head, unlike E3 and TGS. I guess that's a good thing though as my expectations are in check. What are we expecting to see tomorrow?
Quantic Dream, maybe Sony Bend and a lot of cool small to mid tier games akin to Rime, Wild, The Tomorrow Children, etc...

Should be a good show.

I disagree. It's about the strategic options available, not strictly about the shows itself.

The reason E3 has to be "big" is because Sony is not the only publisher having conferences there. By virtue of competition, they need to have bigguns there to, so that their mindshare doesn't lose out to EA, Ubi, etc. Plus with 3rd party partnerships, E3 is where Sony showcases the bulk of the content they're partnered with, since E3 is largely the only show 3rd party publishers care about.

OTOH, because no other publisher really cares too much about Gamescom in terms of announcements, new content updates, etc, the best way to own that mindshare but without feeling like it's a repeat of E3, is to focus on the things not at E3, and establish uniqueness, quantity and identity.

I don't see how what you have said disagrees with my statement at all. For a variety of reasons, E3 is the biggest conference, so it gets the biggest games. TGS gets Japanese games. The remaining, smaller conferences split between them what's left.

Shin-Ra

MmPGW.jpg
David Cage's game alone is enough to get me excited.
GobXited.gif

Who is Gio Corsi?
GioCorsi-Jazz_Yakuza5.gif

I don't see how what you have said disagrees with my statement at all. For a variety of reasons, E3 is the biggest conference, so it gets the biggest games. TGS gets Japanese games. The remaining, smaller conferences split between them what's left.

What I'm slightly disagreeing with is the notion that it's the shows that drive the kind of conferences we get. I'd argue that the shows are less important than a lot of us like to assume, which is why Sony has no issues moving their SCEE conference to PGW instead of the "bigger" Gamescom and why they even do something like PSX in the first place.

I agree that it's for various reasons, andI believe those various reasons are more relationship driven.

I dunno about quantic dream's game. A telltale style game with a big budget isn't what I would consider a showstopper. Maybe that type of game just isnt for me, assuming that's what they end up making. I haven't really seen any signs that quantic dream will do anything radically different from what they normally do.

They don't just split what's left like a couple of kids splitting chocolate. Just like TGS gets Japanese games, Gamescom/PGW gets European games (Rime, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, WiLD, Alienation and so on) and PSX gets American games (Drawn to Death, Kill Strain, What Remains of Edith Finch and Wattam).

I think the only time the market comes into play is when a) They're greenlighting a project and b) If they don't think a project will appeal in its home market, they'll move the announcement to a better suited conference (which is why Tomorrow Children was announced at Gamescom).

I think they will for one reason and one reason only. As they've already been announced, we know that Star Wars: Racer Revenge, Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter, and Star Wars: Bounty Hunter (all PS2 games) will be coming to PS4 with trophy support (same as Super Star Wars, but that has never been on Sony console before). They were announced as part of the Star Wars: Battlefront PS4 Bundle, and it was confirmed they will be available to purchase on the PSN store separately. Since they won't come out until November 17th at the earliest (Battlefront's release date), that gives Sony time to announced proper PS1/PS2 support for PS4 and Paris Games Week would be the place to do it.

Yeah, those are the announced PS2 games I was referring to. But beyond that, we have the Eurogamer rumor about HD and trophy support, the trademark about disc games getting trophies added to them, the leaked ratings for ape escape, twisted metal, and dark cloud, and finally the recent survey mentioning ps1 and ps2 classics.

We know something is coming, but when it will be announced at what it will be is the big question. As you say, the Star Wars games make PGW seem like the perfect choice, but I haven't seen confirmation that the Star Wars games will be playable day and date with Battlefront, just that you get a voucher for them. That being said, I am very much hoping for a PGW reveal.

They don't just split what's left like a couple of kids splitting chocolate. Just like TGS gets Japanese games, Gamescom/PGW gets European games (Rime, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, WiLD, Alienation and so on) and PSX gets American games (Drawn to Death, Kill Strain, What Remains of Edith Finch and Wattam).

I think the only time the market comes into play is when a) They're greenlighting a project and b) If they don't think a project will appeal in its home market, they'll move the announcement to a better suited conference (which is why Tomorrow Children was announced at Gamescom).

I never said otherwise. Never delved into what basis they use to split the smaller games. Hasn't been relevant until these last two years because there never used to be a PSX.

People getting hyped, but is there any reason to? I can't think of anything too exciting at PGW that they wouldn't otherwise announce at PSX.

I may be wrong, but there seems to be a huge misconception here.

I think a lot of people have already said this, but PGW is SCEE annual conference, with studios from all around the world participating. It will bring not only all the content we could have seen at gamescom plus two more months of potential announcements, since it's october instead of august. This is big, and in terms of first/second party announcements, I can even imagine it being more exciting than E3. The Paris expo itself does not matter a lot in the worldwide videogame space though, that it's true, but it's not important for the conference.

On the other hand, I don't know why so much people see PSX as the supreme Sony show. It's a fan festival, not a professional/press focused event. For me, the PSX keynote is a bonus and I expect some nice things in december, but the most important announcements would be for tuesday. I would be amazed if something as big as SFV is waiting for us at PSX this year.

Danlord

I may be wrong, but there seems to be a huge misconception here.

I think a lot of people have already said this, but PGW is SCEE annual conference, with studios from all around the world participating. It will bring not only all the content we could have seen at gamescom plus two more months of potential announcements, since it's october instead of august. This is big, and in terms of first/second party announcements, I can even imagine it being more exciting than E3. The Paris expo itself does not matter a lot in the worldwide videogame space though, that it's true, but it's not important for the conference.

On the other hand, I don't know why so much people see PSX as the supreme Sony show. It's a fan festival, not a professional/press focused event. For me, the PSX keynote is a bonus and I expect some nice things in december, but the most important announcements would be for tuesday. I would be amazed if something as big as SFV is waiting for us at PSX this year.

Well we know we're seeing more of Final Fantasy VII Remake as it said "more to come Winter" on the trailer, so that's enough for my friend to watch.

Danlord

FF7R could also show up at Jump Festa, which starts on December 19th. That's a big show for Square each year.

Oh right, I didn't know that. Surely though PlayStation Experience would be better? I don't know, but hopefully there's something at PSX after the PC port announcement at last PSX, this year have actual remake footage. Save some additional stuff for Jump Fiesta, maybe extended footage,

The thing I love most is that Sony actually has the content to fill every show each year. They are wholy unique in that area. Even though they have announced like 30 new games this year we still have these laundry lists available of other stuff that could be announced for the other conferences they are participating in. Can't say the same about anyone else out there.

Really, with the announced list being so vast, as I've said before I really want to just see new stuff from already announced projects. There are so many we have seen so little of that you really could fill 1.5 hours with just new stuff from projects announced prior. It is kind of crazy to think about to be honest. Just so much shit out there atm.

The thing I love most is that Sony actually has the content to fill every show each year. They are wholy unique in that area. Even though they have announced like 30 new games this year we still have these laundry lists available of other stuff that could be announced for the other conferences they are participating in. Can't say the same about anyone else out there.

Really, with the announced list being so vast, as I've said before I really want to just see new stuff from already announced projects. There are so many we have seen so little of that you really could fill 1.5 hours with just new stuff from projects announced prior. It is kind of crazy to think about to be honest. Just so much shit out there atm.
This is something I took note of too. Just the sheer quantity of titles Sony has in store and the overall diversity within those titles along with the scale. The only company doing 4 conferences a year with the largest gap between two of them being only 6 months (PSX -> E3).

As you said, it is insane if you really think about it. It puts into perspective Sony's global capability.

Oh right, I didn't know that. Surely though PlayStation Experience would be better? I don't know, but hopefully there's something at PSX after the PC port announcement at last PSX, this year have actual remake footage. Save some additional stuff for Jump Fiesta, maybe extended footage,

I consider JF a real possibility because of Nomura's comments about how Square wants their games to help the PS4 sell more in Japan. So it'd make sense for the next showing to take place at a Japanese show.

I'm expecting an in-depth 3D UI demo from Anton Mikhailov!

Anton works at Media Molecule now.

Stealth50

I originally posted my bets for Sony's last 3 conferences of the year earlier in the thread. I've now updated it with how my TGS bets did, some adjustment to the remaining conferences and with the addition of E3 2016 bets.

TGS:
  • Gravity Rush 2 (right)
  • Gravity Rush 1 port (right)
  • Bloodborne Expansion (right)
  • Level 5 RPG (wrong)
  • A bunch of Japanese VR projects (wrong)
PGW:
  • Playstation Home VR 2.0 (Sony London)
  • Quantic Dream New IP
  • Sony Japan smaller title
  • Housemarque new game
  • Ubisoft VR Game (what would a new platform be without a proof-of-concept Ubisoft game?)
  • Driveclub Season 2
  • VR integration for a bunch of already announced titles (Dreams, No Man's Sky included)
PSX:
  • Gran Turismo 7 (VR compatible)
  • Sony Bend VR Horror Game
  • God of War 4
  • VibRibbon with Spotify integration
  • Supergiant new game
  • A bunch of #BuildingTheList localization confirmations
  • PS1 & PS2 backwards compatability
E3 2016:
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Playstation All-Stars Spiritual Successor with Crash & Cloud
  • Bloodborne 2
  • Pixel Opus new game
  • Agent Re-Reveal
  • Uncharted 4 DLC
You gotta believe!

Alo0oy

Banned
It's honestly less so about audiences but a strategic segmentation of announcements between SCEA, SCEE and SCEJA across 6 different conferences Sony holds every year.

They did put disclaimer that the games shown are supposed to appeal to that region, the same disclaimer they put at TGS.

https://twitter.com/TroyBakerVA/status/658451028551929856

Troy Baker is in Paris implying that it won't just be multiplayer being shown for Uncharted 4. I am guessing a story trailer.

That has nothing to do with what they're showing though, he could be at a panel in Paris, he doesn't actually need to be there even if they show a story trailer.

I hope all they show is the multiplayer (& hopefully an all new Unkarted mode), then show a story trailer at PSX, then I'm good.

zsynqx

They did put disclaimer that the games shown are supposed to appeal to that region, the same disclaimer they put at TGS.

That has nothing to do with what they're showing though, he could be at a panel in Paris, he doesn't actually need to be there even if they show a story trailer.

I hope all they show is the multiplayer (& hopefully an all new Unkarted mode), then show a story trailer at PSX, then I'm good.

He is going to be in Paris with Nolan North, at the same time as a Sony press conference which is certain to feature Uncharted. I don't think it is to big a jump for me to guess there will be some story stuff shown, and he will be doing interviews about that. There are no events/panels in Paris as far as I am aware this week that would feature the likes of Nolan/Troy.

Edit: What am I saying! His tweet even says he is there for PGW

Paris! @nolan_north & I will be occupying the same space at the same time for #GamesWeek, proving we are NOT the same person. #TimeCopLogic

You talked about them as if they're interchangeable. They're not.

I did not say they are interchangeable. That was what you incorrectly inferred. In the grand scheme of things, it is kind of irrelevant to the observer since all of those games are presented in the span of a couple months so who really cares what order. But yes, from Sony's perspective, there is intentional decision making. Never said otherwise. Just thought it was obvious and didn't require emphasis.

RK128

I originally posted my bets for Sony's last 3 conferences of the year earlier in the thread. I've now updated it with how my TGS bets did, some adjustment to the remaining conferences and with the addition of E3 2016 bets.

TGS:
  • Gravity Rush 2 (right)
  • Gravity Rush 1 port (right)
  • Bloodborne Expansion (right)
  • Level 5 RPG (wrong)
  • A bunch of Japanese VR projects (wrong)
PGW:
  • Playstation Home VR 2.0 (Sony London)
  • Quantic Dream New IP
  • Sony Japan smaller title
  • Housemarque new game
  • Ubisoft VR Game (what would a new platform be without a proof-of-concept Ubisoft game?)
  • Driveclub Season 2
  • PS1 & PS2 backwards compatability
  • VR integration for a bunch of already announced titles (Dreams, No Man's Sky included)
PSX:
  • Gran Turismo 7 (VR compatible)
  • Sony Bend VR Horror Game
  • God of War 4
  • VibRibbon with Spotify integration
  • Supergiant new game
  • A bunch of #BuildingTheList localization confirmations
E3 2016:
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Playstation All-Stars Spiritual Successor with Crash & Cloud
  • Bloodborne 2
  • Pixel Opus new game
  • Agent Re-Reveal
  • Uncharted 4 DLC
You gotta believe!

Common man, you're missing the Parapa the Rapper PS4/PS Vita game that has hand-drawn HD visuals for your E3 2016 list ;).

I would love that honestly; seeing him in HD would be fantastic :').

And your lists are realistic (well, not expecting much of the E3 2016 one to happen despite 2015 being the year of dream announcements), so I hope all of that happens :D!

Top Bottom