• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q4 Summary of Events (Financials, NX, Mobile, Licensing, etc.)

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Financials:
Revenue: ¥‎504B
Operating Income: ¥‎32.8B
Net Income: ¥‎16.5B

The Kyoto-based videogame maker said Wednesday that its net profit dropped 61% to ¥16.5 billion ($148 million) and revenue fell 8% in the year ended March 2016, owing in part to the yen’s recent strength and weaker sales of its five-year-old hand-held 3DS device.

Digital & Accessories (Amiibo, Accessories) Revenue:
Download sales (FY2016): ¥43.9B

Digital sales increased by ¥‎12.6B comparatively to last fiscal year. Represents approximately 19% of Nintendo's overall software & download-only content revenue.

Amiibo sales continued to maintain momentum and showed strong performance globally. The figure-type and the card-type sold approximately 24.70 million units and approximately 28.90 million units respectively. Revenue for the accessories segment stand at approximately ¥52B.

Guidance & Outlook:
Revenue: ¥‎500B
Operating Income: ¥‎45B
Net Income: ¥‎35B

Nintendo said it would sell fewer units of the 3DS and its current flagship console Wii U this fiscal year because consumers would rein in spending ahead of the coming NX. It expects five million units of the 3DS will be sold in the year ending March 2017 versus 6.79 million in the previous term, while sales of Wii U would fall to 800,000 units from 3.26 million in the previous term.

For Nintendo 3DS, we will release Pokémon Sun/Pokémon Moon globally in winter of 2016 (holiday 2016 in the U.S. and late 2016 in Europe). These are the latest titles from the Pokémon series, which has sold 200 million units worldwide since the first title from the series released 20 years ago. We will also release a number of titles including Kirby: Planet Robobot and Metroid Prime: Federation Force. Strongly anticipated titles from third-party publishers are also scheduled for release. With the release of these titles, we will re-energize the platform and aim to expand our reach globally to a broad audience, including female and younger consumer demographics.

NX Information:
For our dedicated video game platform business, Nintendo is currently developing a gaming platform codenamed “NX” with a brand-new concept. NX will be launched in March 2017 globally

Mobile Venture:
Nintendo has said it plans to release five smartphone games by March 2017. The first of those five, a smartphone app called Miitomo, was released last month. With the announcement of the new games featuring Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem, Nintendo is dipping further into its stable of characters developed over decades as a maker of console games.

1. Miitomo
2. Fire Emblem (Autumn)
3. Animal Crossing (Autumn)
4. ?
5. ?

Software Delay & Sales Update:
Zelda, planned for release on the current Wii U console, has been developed “in tandem” with a version for NX, Nintendo said. Both versions are currently planned to launch alongside NX in March 2017.

Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright/Conquest - 1.84M
Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire - 11.84M
Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 10M
Splatoon - 4.27M
Mario Kart 8 - 7.5M
Super Smash 3DS/WiiU - 12.9M

Wii U Prospects:
Nintendo forecasts Wii U sales at 800,000 units this business year, from 3.26 million units in the previous year. Kimishima, Nintendo President, said the company could cease production of the Wii U by March 2018.

Other:
Nintendo hereby announces that its wholly-owned subsidary, Nintendo of America, has started negotiations to sell a portion of its ownership in First Avenue Entertainment, which operates the Major League Baseball team, Seattle Mariners

Apr. 28, 2016 Fiscal Year Financial Results Briefing (for institutional investors and securities analysts) at 10am JST (most likely to provide an update on key initiatives such as Universal Theme Parks partnership and expected impact on mobile revenue

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendos-full-year-profit-drops-61-1461741151
http://uk.reuters.com/article/us-nintendo-results-idUKKCN0XO0JC
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/160427e.pdf
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/160427_4e.pdf
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/

If new information come to bear, please share.

Esiquio

Thank you for doing this. Based on my very quick read of the PDF, I noticed that they are spending a lot of money (I think about $2.7 million US) on "construction in progress", whereas last year it was $125,000 spent on construction. Is this a part of their complete internal restructuring of NoJ teams to streamline and output more games? Am I mixing things up, or dreaming that idea?

If I can request one thing from Nintendo it would be to not delay NX. You really cant believe them. For all we know NX could be in the 2017 FY meeting talking about

"We will discuss more information about our upcoming console codenamed Nintendo NX at E3 2017."

Hopefully the unveiling this year alleviates those fears but you never know.

Esiquio

If I can request one thing from Nintendo it would be to not delay NX. You really cant believe them. For all we know NX could be in the 2017 FY meeting talking about

"We will discuss more information about our upcoming console codenamed Nintendo NX at E3 2017."

It not showing up at E3 alleviates none of my fears about that, honestly.

vinnygambini

Thank you for doing this. Based on my very quick read of the PDF, I noticed that they are spending a lot of money (I think about $2.7 million US) on "construction in progress", whereas last year it was $125,000 spent on construction. Is this a part of their complete internal restructuring of NoJ teams to streamline and output more games? Am I mixing things up, or dreaming that idea?

I believe those would be the ongoing expenses recurring to the finalization of Nintendo's new HQ building.

Guevara

Hardware projections for fiscal year 2017:

5 million 3DS (fy 2017), down from 6.79 million (fy 2016)

800,000 Wii U systems (fy 2017), down from 3.26 million (fy 2016)​

Ugly.

milanbaros

Member?

They won't want to delay because otherwise their results this FY will be awful.

vinnygambini

gogogow

Nintendo delayed the NX? Since when did Nintendo announce a 2016 release date?

vinnygambini

Stock has also retreated by 4% in the U.S. following the news - we'll see how Japan reacts once the market opens at 8pm EST.

deleted

Are the Fire Emblem sales as good as expected? Seems pretty okay but not astonishingly well to me compared to Awakening.

Vena

Nintendo is full lameduck mode for a year.

Meanwhile, AMD's share surge will fatten my portfolio. Lol.

vinnygambini

Nintendo is full lameduck mode for a year.

Meanwhile, AMD's share surge will fatten my portfolio. Lol.

Lol I bought back at $15 in January duno if I should hold, but my god, they are terrible at communicating any information whatsoever hahahah

deleted

Are you kidding ? They are amazing. It reached Awakening LTD in less time and it didnt released in Europe yet.

Ah, sure! You're absolutely right, I forgot that it didn't release over here yet. I thought it sold 'a little' more than Awakening, but since they released 3 versions of the game, maybe not enough to justify all the surrounding work.
The missing EU version really puts things into perspective for me.

Deku89

Seems to me they want a clean reset. Sucks in the mean time, but hopefully good in the long run.

My predictions for the year:
- E3: Mainly focus on Zelda U; they will announce games for the launch of the NX (not playable, because NX hasn't been fully revealed); might announce the real name of the NX.
- Late August: Console reveal, including price, controller, exact date, and update on games announced at E3.
- November: last Wii U games released (Pikmin 4, Paper Mario, etc.); cross play with NX if bought digitally.
- March: NX release with a schedule of games that will release in the next six months (at least 2 1st party games a month).

vinnygambini

No reason to sell. Though I am curious if we'll get more info at the meeting later.

I'm hoping more information is shared on the licensing front with Universal Theme Parks. That's what I'm really excited about - the doors that could open and opportunities there are endless.

Mobile, with the exception of Fire Emblem, I couldn't care less personally. I don't see it contributing to the bottom line meaningfully whatsoever.

njustus

Neo Member
I'm hoping more information is shared on the licensing front with Universal Theme Parks. That's what I'm really excited about - the doors that could open and opportunities there are endless.

Mobile, with the exception of Fire Emblem, I couldn't care less personally. I don't see it contributing to the bottom line meaningfully whatsoever.

I think licensing is going to become the fastest growing part of their business. But I'm not ready to predict a full "Sega" pivot since they are on their off-cycle console. I remember predicting that during the GameCube era only to be proven horribly wrong.

Arkam

Nintendo of Europe put up an article that has a good chunk of the non-financial news.

Fake edit: And Nintendo of America put out a press release covering pretty much the same content.

From that article:

"This June, Nintendo will focus its attentions on the upcoming game in The Legend of Zelda series. The Wii U version of the game will be playable for the first time on the E3 show floor, and it will be the only playable game Nintendo presents at the show, in order to provide attendees a complete immersion. Additional information about Nintendo’s E3 plans will be announced in the future."

WOW.... Idk what to say even.

Teknoman

I'll be getting Zelda on NX then...but wow. Wii U will be the first Nintendo console without an (initially) exclusive Zelda title?

No Color Splash release date?

Ah, sure! You're absolutely right, I forgot that it didn't release over here yet. I thought it sold 'a little' more than Awakening, but since they released 3 versions of the game, maybe not enough to justify all the surrounding work.
The missing EU version really puts things into perspective for me.
I doubt they're counting dlc route purchases, which means the majority of second routes and all revelation purchases wouldn't be counted, since it's cheaper to buy the digital second route than buy another physical copy

vinnygambini

Updates:
Nintendo hereby announces that its wholly-owned subsidary, Nintendo of America, has started negotiations to sell a portion of its ownership in First Avenue Entertainment, which operates the Major League Baseball team, Seattle Mariners

Also note, Nintendo's presentation for Fiscal-Year Results and press questions will be happening at 10am JST

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/160428e.pdf

maxcriden

I'll be getting Zelda on NX then...but wow. Wii U will be the first Nintendo console without an (initially) exclusive Zelda title?

Yes, it will. Unless you count the awesome Battle Quest in Nintendo Land.

Expect the Color Splash release date in at least two months, like E3 at the earliest. I think they give release windows at most usually in these documents.

vinnygambini

No. People are assuming it will but it only has a vague "2017" release window. Zelda in Holiday 2017 wouldn't surprise me at all at this point.

Cheese is usually good with translations, but Nintendo Japan confirmed the launch to in tandem together; however you are correct, it may not be a launch title per se.

https://twitter.com/Cheesemeister3k/status/725220771795075072

Financial side, Nintendo's stock, 7974, is retreating by 7-8%. Less than I thought, which is good, meeting should start shortly too.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Good heavens, it looks like Nintendo shipped only 180,000 Wii U systems in the past quarter. Did anyone else go through and figure it out? That's what I came up with, and it seems astonishingly low. :(

Also, fewer than 1 million 3DS systems shipped in this past quarter. (I came up with 920,000.) The only other times that happened were 4Q FY14 and 1Q FY15, I believe. Really sad.

vinnygambini

Good heavens, it looks like Nintendo shipped only 180,000 Wii U systems in the past quarter. Did anyone else go through and figure it out? That's what I came up with, and it seems astonishingly low. :(

Also, fewer than 1 million 3DS systems shipped in this past quarter. (I came up with 920,000.) The only other times that happened were 4Q FY14 and 1Q FY15, I believe. Really sad.

By Q3, Nintendo had shipped 3.06 million Wii U's

By Q4, Nintendo had shipped 3.26 million Wii U's.

So, 20k more thank your calculations! Success! :)

Also, 910k for 3DS (5.88M Q3, 6.79 Q4)

Download sales are the only positives to come of this report and the announced sale of the Seattle Mariners.

Astral Dog

it will be getting the new Zelda game and the best versions of WW, TP, and HW.

NX and Wii U port should be good news for everyone.

jvm

Gamasutra.
By Q3, Nintendo had shipped 3.06 million Wii U's

By Q4, Nintendo had shipped 3.26 million Wii U's.

So, 20k more thank your calculations! Success! :)

Also, 910k for 3DS (5.88M Q3, 6.79 Q4)

Download sales are the only positives to come of this report and the announced sale of the Seattle Mariners.
Are you using the figures they're reporting in their report or the consolidated figures in the spreadsheet they post? The reported figures probably don't have the precision of the spreadsheet, no?

Regardless, we only differ by 10k, so... Yeah. Bad numbers all around. Software sales are also quite bad. 🤔

Top Bottom