• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana (NPD) July 2023: #1 Remnant II, #6 Pikmin 4; PS5 #1 Units + Revenue, Switch #2 Units + Revenue

Maybe Covid is still affecting things. So I'll give you that. But Gamescom for instance. Where's Jim Ryan? Where's Playstation? Where's anybody that represents Sony? This is stupid!!!

Phil is out here doing interviews, kissing babies, and signing checks and Jim Ryan is sleep in his basement. For god's sake Sony actually had a decent week, yet NO ONE from Playstation is there to walk us through their thinking. They had.....

- Two new Playstation headsets that were officially shown to the world
- The Playstation Portal that has now been super officially released PR wise to the world
- The purchase of one of the best headphone makers on Earth now being totally under Sony's arm

Yet NO ONE seems to want to talk about any of this to us gamers? Why? Is Jim lazy? Or does he realize that Xbox is so weak, he doesn't have to try anymore?
Seems Sony actually gives you stuff while the other brand talks talks talks. I don’t get your frustration there, clearly one party here is delivering instead of talking about nice stuff, but you rather have them talk and not deliver like the other party as well?

Unknown?

Maybe Covid is still affecting things. So I'll give you that. But Gamescom for instance. Where's Jim Ryan? Where's Playstation? Where's anybody that represents Sony? This is stupid!!!

Phil is out here doing interviews, kissing babies, and signing checks and Jim Ryan is sleep in his basement. For god's sake Sony actually had a decent week, yet NO ONE from Playstation is there to walk us through their thinking. They had.....

- The Playstation Portal that has now been super officially released PR wise to the world
- The purchase of one of the best headphone makers on Earth now being totally under Sony's arm

Yet NO ONE seems to want to talk about any of this to us gamers? Why? Is Jim lazy? Or does he realize that Xbox is so weak, he doesn't have to try anymore?
I think most gamers hate what Phil is doing. No one cares if you're interviewed if you have no new news to share. It's annoying hearing someone talk all the time about nothing.

We got an official percentage increase/ decrease from Circana (formerly NPD) versus last gen, launced aligned to July 2023 the PS5 is up 5% over PS4 and the Xbox Series is down 10% from Xbox one. Over at install base they have monthly numbers as of July 2016 for PS4 and Xbox One and have worked out the yearly and total numbers for PS5 and Xbox Series. Amazing how close they were with their previous estimates. The article also says Switch has passed the Wii (41.78M) which means Switch is a minimum of 2.38M YTD. (41.78M - 39.41M = 2.37M).

July 2016

PS4 : 14.18 m (YTD 1.739 m)
XB1 : 12.40 m (YTD 1.277 m)

PS4 = 53.3%, XB1 = 46.6%

July 2023

PS5 : 14.89 m (YTD 2.990 m)
XSX+S : 11.16 m (YTD 1.460 m)

PS5 = 57.1% ⬆️ XSX+S = 42.8% ⬇️

credit: Evilms and Astral_lion02 from InstallBase

USA YTD (July 2023) :

PS5 - 2.96M (+73% YoY)
NSW - 2.38M (-2% YoY)
XBS - 1.46M (-26% YoY)

Last edited:

Unknown?

We got an official percentage increase/ decrease from Circana ( formerly NPD) versus last gen, launced aligned to July 2023 the PS5 is up 5% over PS4 and the Xbox Series is down 10% from Xbox one. Over at install base they have monthly numbers as of July 2016 for PS4 and Xbox One and have worked out the yearly and total numbers for PS5 and Xbox Series. Amazing how close they were with their previous estimates.

July 2016

PS4 : 14.18 m (YTD 1.739 m)
XB1 : 12.40 m (YTD 1.277 m)

PS4 = 53.3%, XB1 = 46.6%

July 2023

PS5 : 14.89 m (YTD 2.990 m)
XSX+S : 11.16 m (YTD 1.460 m)

PS5 = 57.1% ⬆️ XSX+S = 42.8% ⬇️

credit: Evilms from InstallBase

If Series S didn't exist, PS5 would be over 60%.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Seems like people can’t stop cumming over ToTK. Also MP Remaster. Baldur’s Gate 3?
arnold-schwarzenegger.gif

MrA

Banned
Seems like people can’t stop cumming over ToTK. Also MP Remaster. Baldur’s Gate 3?
There people ragging on those, some people simply struggle with the concept of nuance and tact,

I've seen people praise 4 out of those 5 like crazy , haven't heard anything about remnant but nor have I been looking

ByWatterson

I mean they're gonna drop an atom bomb in like a month and a half.

Asking "Where is Jim Ryan?" is the same as asking "Why doesn't Tim Duncan talk more trash?!" and he's sitting there with five rings.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't think it's about being comfortable, Jim already spoke to gamers about these accessories at the annual Showcase.

To the bolded, why? Why does an executive need to do a media interview about accessories? That normally doesn't happen.

To sell it. And more importantly to sell the brand. I honestly don't know what Sony is trying to do with the PS5 in 2024 and forward. ZERO clue! They aren't giving us a road map. Nothing. Nada! What are their goals for............

- PSVR2
- PS Cloud gaming
- PS Portal (will it be able do cloud gaming)
- PS5 single-player games not named Wolverine
- PS Link

Seems Sony actually gives you stuff while the other brand talks talks talks. I don’t get your frustration there, clearly one party here is delivering instead of talking about nice stuff, but you rather have them talk and not deliver like the other party as well?

I want both. They did both during the PS4 era. I went to the movie theater to watch a Sony showcase. There were 300 of us in there at once. We saw a FF VII trailer and the crowd went nuts!!!

I mean they're gonna drop an atom bomb in like a month and a half.

Asking "Where is Jim Ryan?" is the same as asking "Why doesn't Tim Duncan talk more trash?!" and he's sitting there with five rings.

Yeah but Playstation used to be Michael Jordan. Winning rings and talking trash. Now they are just Tim Duncan. :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom