• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold over 40 million units worldwide

dEvAnGeL

This pretty much rules out the chance of NEO being announced at E3, it would be stupid to announce a new console and kill the momentum they have

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
Ship 20 mil more .

Just need to sell 18-19 mil.
I don't believe that's how it works. Sony will have to sell through the same numbers that they ship. The buffer is already there, it will not always be 10% of the install base.

Elios83

It wouldn't kill their momentum. This never happens.

It would in this case, especially if the current PS4 isn't price dropped immediately as they announce the Neo.
I think that people expecting certain announcements at E3 just for the sake of having big announcements at the show or because they want to know ASAP are going to be disappointed.
Announcements must fit into a strategy.
Also we still miss important pieces of the whole picture, namely how Neo is going to be positioned and treated relatively to the current PS4 (is it going to be slimlined and carried on with a true dual SKU strategy? is it destined to be discontinued with Sony clearing current inventory at a discounted price while production is focused on Neo?).

Keeping the focus where it needed to be payed off in spades for them, these are monster numbers. Sony ran away with the game.

Looking forward to Nioh and ... the Last Guardian? Horizon not on the list though ...

Does anyone know if other territories have replaced Japan former bigger console presence yet? I remember speculation that emerging markets like Middle eastern countries, India, and Brazil might make up for Japan's decline. Has that proven true yet?

Also I think a $299 bundle with a game deal should be the standard price for PS4 and a $250 model should be available as well once PS4k hits.

That looks attractive to me anyone, i would definitely buy another console and gift it more at that price

Cornbread78

lol.. check out the gif gamespot used to promote their article on Twitter..
I7BGsfe.gif

Oh damn, that's a NeoGAF original!!!!

Killzone 4, Resistance 4

VuM6fP5.gif

I'd take those in a heartbeat!

Can we compare it with other consoles? how long it took them to reach this mark?
I think it's different for different territories. I know Japan is completely different than it was when Ps2 was dominating.

I'd say it's safe to say it's behind Ps2 and Wii and ahead of most other home consoles.

Alo0oy

Banned
Does anyone know if other territories have replaced Japan former bigger console presence yet? I remember speculation that emerging markets like Middle eastern countries, India, and Brazil might make up for Japan's decline. Has that proven true yet?

Not even close, it's still the second/third largest market for PS4.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Also I think a $299 bundle with a game deal should be the standard price for PS4 and a $250 model should be available as well once PS4k hits.

That looks attractive to me anyone, i would definitely buy another console and gift it more at that price

PS4 has been selling 100k consoles minimum a month in Japan for a while now, i think its death has been overstated

God of War 4, Knack 2, Killzone 4, Resistance 4, anything MOBA, anything MMO, anything military shooter... you get the idea.
You don't like sequels I assume?

That's not fair to Resistance though, we haven't seen that title in years, it wouldn't feel like a "another sequel" at all at this point. I think Resistance is a missed opportunity for Sony/Insomniac honestly. It could have went more horror and capitalized on the walking dead/zombie craze in previous years.

Not even close, it's still the second/third largest market for PS4.

PS4 has been selling 100k consoles minimum a month in Japan for a while now, i think its death has been overstated
Oh ok...nice yeah I see it doing 20-30K in weekly sometimes, Uncharted may hit a quarter million there too possibly.

I think that rate would put it at about PS3 levels right? And that's before Japan's big guns. Interesting where Japan will end up in year 5 and 6 of PS4. I mean gamers are still playing PSP over there lol...I'm not sure they will be too keen on a Ps4k

Oh ok...nice yeah I see it doing 20-30K in weekly sometimes, Uncharted may hit a quarter million there too possibly.

I think that rate would put it at about PS3 levels right? And that's before Japan's big guns. Interesting where Japan will end up in year 5 and 6 of PS4. I mean gamers are still playing PSP over there lol...I'm not sure they will be too keen on a Ps4k
Yeah, I see iterative consoles killing the console market in Japan.

You don't like sequels I assume?

That's not fair to Resistance though, we haven't seen that title in years, it wouldn't feel like a "another sequel" at all at this point. I think Resistance is a missed opportunity for Sony/Insomniac honestly. It could have went more horror and capitalized on the walking dead/zombie craze in previous years.

Well it's a bit hard to say my nipples deflate for something I don't know exists yet, like a new IP for instance. I'm just rounding off some first-party stuff that wouldn't excite me in the least, since the guy asked. I'm all for sequels... to games I like.

40 million, Playstation 4, Crash Bandicoot 4

Coincidence? I think not.

FINAL FANTASY XV (SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD), Nioh (KOEI TECMO GAMES CO., LTD.), Ryu ga Gotoku 6 (SEGA Games Co., Ltd.), Gravity Rush 2, and The Last Guardian (SIE WWS).

kPVLtap.gif

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Zombie James said:
Funny enough, wasn't the PSX at that 60-70M point when the PS2 was announced? My memory is hazy.
It hit 70M around the same time PS2/PSOne were released (March 2000) - no idea where it was during announcement.

Top Bottom