• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2016

Opinions? Sure. Mine is completely opposite though.

Do you have a PS4 U?

I can see where you coming from. But as a shooter and racing fan. PS4 just doesn't offer any quality games to me. So I would have to disagree with you. You can of course name lot of multiplatform games, but then again. I can play all those on both console but on Xbox if you are shooter and racing fan, you have Titanfall, Halo, Gears, yearly quality Forza games.

Anyways this whole argument is stupid. my point being is, PS4 offers more quantity and games for wide variety of taste. Which is a fact, but that doesn't mean it has more quality games then Xbox. That's an opinion,

This is so hard for me to buy. I think in reality your just biased. Which is okay. You have probably been an Xbox fan since the first console and went all in and have a hard time acknowledging the competitor because my doing that your admitting you would probably love a lot of games on that console. I can't take anyone who says they are a shooter or racer fan and don't play GT or have been around for TLOU, KZ2, and UC4.

I love those same genres. Last gen if I wanted to play the best shooters it was hands down my 360. Now you would need crazy to miss out on these other games.

I just don't get with people limit themselves

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Do you have a PS4 U?

This is so hard for me to buy. I think in reality your just biased. Which is okay. You have probably been an Xbox fan since the first console and went all in and have a hard time acknowledging the competitor because my doing that your admitting you would probably love a lot of games on that console. I can't take anyone who says they are a shooter or racer fan and don't play GT or have been around for TLOU, KZ2, and UC4.

I love those same genres. Last gen if I wanted to play the best shooters it was hands down my 360. Now you would need crazy to miss out on these other games.

I just don't get with people limit themselves

haha wut? I think there is some misunderstanding here. But I love TLOU, Uncharted, GT franxhise and Killzone 2. And thats the reason I have PS4. But I dont consider new killzone a good game. I am surprised why is it so hard to believe that someone like me who loves shooting and racing game, Xbox One has been the best place since launch.

Anyways I am definitely slightly biased because again love Halo, gears and forza.

Schnauzer

DriveClub becomes better, sure an opinion. and GT on horizon. 3 years after the console was launched. I mean I am not talking about why anyone would buy PS4 for GT. Its from launch to now, I have played so much of F5, Horizon and F6 in last 3 years. So to someone like me, PS4 doesn't offer what I want. If you love racing and shooter genre, Xboxone has been the best choice is all I am trying to say imo.

But then you get into the argument that oh all third party games performs better on PS4. But then you don't get Titanfall, Halo, Gears. So depends what's more important to you. Playing COD at full 1080p or playing Xbox exclusive games and COD on dynamic resolution. Again opinion.

Let it go. Its all opinion. This discussion has no end.

I was sure I specified that Shooters are the exception to the rule. I guess I'm just not good at this. My opinion is I have the most fun with the Wii-U. Go opinions?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I was sure I specified that Shooters are the exception to the rule. I guess I'm just not good at this. My opinion is I have the most fun with the Wii-U. Go opinions?

Have no issue with that. Wii U, Tablets, Handhelds. Whatever you like, and feel has the quality games :p

Shin-Ra

My launch DS4's don't have LCD's but games have been using the speaker, touchpad/button and lightbar to varying degrees. Lots more to come for the latter two features with PSVR too!

haha wut? I think there is some misunderstanding here. But I love TLOU, Uncharted, GT franxhise and Killzone 2. And thats the reason I have PS4. But I dont consider new killzone a good game. I am surprised why is it so hard to believe that someone like me who loves shooting and racing game, Xbox One has been the best place since launch.

Anyways I am definitely slightly biased because again love Halo, gears and forza.

Bro I misread you completely. My bad!

SwolBro

Banned
These are minor problems.

The combo better specs+lower price was golden. Early adopters in general are well informed people and all the talk about 1080p at lower price put Xbox One in a dificult position.

In fact Xbox One initial sales (3 million at the end of 2013) was pretty strong for a console in this unfavorable scenario. The power of the brand in North America and UK was key to push sales at $500 with weaker specs.
Can't argue here.

I like both controllers so that's even. PS4 though has far more and better exclusives than Xbox One does. PS4 has far more and better Indies and PSN games than Xbox One does. Installing a game is ultra fast on PS4. On Xbox One, it's slow as hell. And the dashboard, my goodness, it's horrible. PS4's dashboard is bad too but at least it's fast.

As for updates, I don't care nor do I care about apps and all the other stuff so neither console means anything to me in this aspect. Worse thing is that Xbox One is missing an on/off option for the controller vibration. Seriously, how Xbox 360 had this but Xbox One doesn't is beyond me. PS4 is my primary console. Used for multi-platform, psn, indie and exclusive games while Xbox One is used just for exclusives.

For me personally, this generation is the opposite of last generation.
I hear this "exclusive" stuff all the time but then i see my roommate play nothing but indie games until this year when Bloodborne and Uncharted game out, da fak? There's no point in arguing what console has exclusives that pertain to each individual. In the end it's preferences. All i know is that Xbox has released major exclusives faster.

Just one little thing the PS4 does better. Games. It has sheer quantity (and thus quality) over XB1.
If it doesn't have the games you care about, this is pointless.

They made a console in the exact same time frame and one has Better tech in it, that's just better engineering flat out.
This has nothing to do with engineering. It was a design philosophy that didn't pan out the way Microsoft envisioned it. Just look at the PS3. Was that horrible engineering at work? Because from a design perspective that shit was a mess. They wanted to push Cell, it didn't pan out.

It's funny, because my two most anticipated XB1 games are an indie (Cuphead) and a Japanese title (Scalebound).

The vast majority of MS's AAA games have little appeal to me, though I am excited for Gears 4, Crackdown, and am somewhat interested in Halo Wars 2.
Those are the two games that interest me as well.

I would get Cuphead and Scalebound if I had a X1.

demigod

DriveClub becomes better, sure an opinion. and GT on horizon. 3 years after the console was launched. I mean I am not talking about why anyone would buy PS4 for GT. Its from launch to now, I have played so much of F5, Horizon and F6 in last 3 years. So to someone like me, PS4 doesn't offer what I want. If you love racing and shooter genre, Xboxone has been the best choice is all I am trying to say imo.

But then you get into the argument that oh all third party games performs better on PS4. But then you don't get Titanfall, Halo, Gears. So depends what's more important to you. Playing COD at full 1080p or playing Xbox exclusive games and COD on dynamic resolution. Again opinion.

Let it go. Its all opinion. This discussion has no end.

Lmfao. You talk about opinions yet say the xbox one has the best racer and shooter as fact.

RexNovis

Banned
What is even happening in here? I thought this was an NPD thread. Can we please just stick to actually talking about sales abd sales related topics? Cheers.

allan-bh

What is even happening in here? I thought this was an NPD thread. Can we please just stick to actually talking about sales abd sales related topics? Cheers.

I think there isn't much more to talk about NPD data this month.

-PS4: good or impressive
-XOne: poor
-Wii U: dead

-Uncharted 4: great, but people expected more.
-Doom: great surprise
-Overwatch: good start, just 5 days
-Battleborn: not good, 4th is misleading
-Quantum Break: super bomba status confirmed

Done, we just need 3DS HW for predictions thread, because no one wants to talk about 3DS too.

RexNovis

Banned
I think there isn't much more to talk about NPD data this month.

-PS4: good or impressive
-XOne: poor
-Wii U: dead

-Uncharted 4: great, but people expected more.
-Doom: great surprise
-Overwatch: good start, just 5 days
-Battleborn: not good, 4th is misleading
-Quantum Break: super bomba status confirmed

Done, we just need 3DS HW for predictions thread, because no one wants to talk about 3DS too.

Still curious about sales for Homefront and Rachet and Clank for the month. And as you said we still need 3DS figures. Once things settle down after E3 I'll be revisiting my Bold Predictions for the month and there are still a few we don't have the necessary data for.

allan-bh

Still curious about sales for Homefront and Rachet and Clank for the month. And as you said we still need 3DS figures. Once things settle down after E3 I'll be revisiting my Bold Predictions for the month and there are still a few we don't have the necessary data for.

creamsugar can give life to the thread with splits for SW and some other numbers, but he didn't appear last month, so...

If it doesn't have the games you care about, this is pointless.

Thats cool and I'm glad people have preferences as to what games and genres they like.

But as this is a sales thread, I replied to someone who said the PS4 doesn't have much over the XB1.

And that's not true. The diversified PS4 lineup is one of many factors for why it succeeds in other markets as opposed to the XB1. It's great that several other posters like the XB1 lineup more. I have nothing against that or said they couldn't.

My opinion on a consoles library and likewise, other's opinion on the XB1 library is irrelevant to the actual market.

ethomaz

Banned
Aqua said on Vizioneck...

Aquamarine said:
The new release Homefront: The Revolution by Deep Silver was weak this month with demand hurt by weak reviews.

Ratchet and Clank didn't completely collapse from its release last month and it's not significantly below the 80K threshold to enter the Top 10. Use simple conjecture and there you go, you have your Ratchet & Clank number.

Like all recent months, hardware was dominated by bundle sales.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 bundles (>120K) and Uncharted 4 bundles (<70K) dominated PS4's 207.3K hardware sales, while Gears of War: Ultimate Edition bundles and Choose Your Game bundles dominated XBO's 107.1K hardware sales. The good majority of people purchased 500 GB Xbox One bundles in lieu of the 1 TB ones (like The Division and Rainbow Six: Siege).

In comparison, the Xbox One Elite bundle (that comes with an Elite Wireless Controller) had very weak sales...again. It has completely failed to drive consumer demand in the USA.

Javin98

Banned
E3 is the best and worst time on GAF, honestly. Many posters get so riled up that the only thing that matters is dick waving contests.

Bioshocker

DriveClub became better.

GT on the horizon. 3rd Party racers perform better on PS4. I think they are pretty even in the racing department now, and the PS4 will come out ahead in the long run.

Yet Wipeout remains MIA....

I think the gap has closed a bit this gen, mainly due to lack of PGR on Xbox. But to me Xbox One is still the better platform for racing. And then there's the controller. DualShock and racing has never been a good combo.

ethomaz

Banned
I think the gap has closed a bit this gen, mainly due to lack of PGR on Xbox. But to me Xbox One is still the better platform for racing. And then there's the controller. DualShock and racing has never been a good combo.
Well racing are supposed to use wheel and Xbox was never a good combo due XID. I prefer racing games on PS platforms over Xbox.

I mean if you are really into racing games PS4 or PC actually is a better option.

ps3ud0

Damn what an sales age to live in when we have access to console HW numbers accurate to the nearest hundred.

And damn guys you got trolled hard for the last few pages...

ps3ud0 8)

Battleborn sold way more than I thought it had considering community activity and players on PC. In fact I am quite confused how the amazingly low activity is possibly considering the decent sales..

As for racing is it not? Turn 10 and the Forza series has been the flag bearer for the racing genre for two generations now.

By sales? No. GT5 sold 10M+, GT6 sold 4.7M. Forza 5 was 1.3M+.

So, not really.
It's more personal preference but not sales, some folks can't tell the difference.

I hear this "exclusive" stuff all the time but then i see my roommate play nothing but indie games until this year when Bloodborne and Uncharted game out, da fak? There's no point in arguing what console has exclusives that pertain to each individual. In the end it's preferences. All i know is that Xbox has released major exclusives faster.

Like this one. What your roommate plays vs actual data is irrelevant. The PS4 has more exclusive games, the highest rated exclusives, and has collectively sold more games. There's a preference, but it's not for the Xbox. Doesn't matter if you disagree, the market doesn't. We're not talking individual preference.

I want an Otogi and Syphon Filter sequel. Guess whats not happening? My preferences don't matter in the face of the greater market because they didn't sell enough.

driver116

Maybe i'm alone in thinking this but i don't think Sony's console is better overall right now. They made a console capable of slightly better looking games, i agree. But It's a console that is usually louder than the Xbox, with a controller that has zero charge sustainability with a pointless LCD and a big glowy thing that so far isn't used for anything. They don't upgrade their software that often, and there's very little else it does that the X1 doesn't do, and do better.

Again, maybe i'm alone on that but to me it's more like Sony created better word of mouth with a traditional launch that didn't deviate or try to do anything crazy from last gen with an edge in fidelity at a lower price.

Microsoft is a brand that people love to shit on, despite using a lot of their products (windows, office, etc). The pre-launch fumble blew the doors open for the onslaught. It's their fault, no question but the product itself is solid and only gets better.

You just made a load of stuff up here, didn't you?

If we're going to use Metacritic as a metric for determining the flag bearer for racing games then I'm not sure why my statement of PS4 having a larger quantity (and thus quality) was met with such contention.

Because according to Metacritic, my statement checks out.

But let's just stick to sales in this thread.

Will we see XB1 sales go under 100k for June? I think there is a strong possibility.

Not sure what MS can do to remedy the situation as sales continue to decline significantly.

- They have no VR, no PSVR to reinvigorate their hardware.

- Scorpio is not coming until late 2017, so they are going to have to crawl along until then, fighting off PSVR and later, PS4K, with just an Xbox Slim model. Things could get very ugly for them.

Chobel

Jesus! XB1 sales are pathetic this month.

That would happen anyway, install base is bigger. But Xbox One has bigger attach rate on NPD, so proportionally it sells games a little better.

What are the latest attach rate numbers we have? Last time it was very close.

allan-bh

If we're going to use Metacritic as a metric for determining the flag bearer for racing games then I'm not sure why my statement of PS4 having a larger quantity (and thus quality) was met with such contention.

Because according to Metacritic, my statement checks out.

But let's just stick to sales in this thread.

What other metric we can use to talk about quality in a way that is not just personal preference?

btw, your post about PS4 having more games in raw number and in quality (based on scores) is completely true.

jjonez18

Aqua said on...

With stats like this, it makes you wonder why MS has been going for such low effort bundling. This generation especially (ignoring price), your console is only as attractive as the game it's bundled with. A GoW Remaster bundle, a meh selection (relative to NA's interests) from the Name Your Game bundle and a 50$ more expensive The Division bundle aren't gonna attract many new customers at all. Hope they lean on EA and Battlefield 1 (and potentially Titanfall 2) heavily throughout the holiday season and well into 2017, much like Sony has with CoD. Just don't make it $50 more expensive.

Yep so awesome.

It has to be over 300k with digital included.

Gotta be somewhere around 100k in UK too right? Given its been in the top 10 since launch iirc.

That would happen anyway, install base is bigger. But Xbox One has bigger attach rate on NPD, so proportionally it sells games a little better.

I haven't looked at their attach rates in a while, bit last time I looked, this wasn't beyond 1. Thats not much different than last gen, in the states. Worldwide, wasn't close.

So that's not really true, otherwise the WiiU would be more viable.

allan-bh

Haven't sale prices been far below 299/319 in previous months?

In Europe it's regularly been on sale for under 250 at least.

No, actually in may the price went back to $349/$399 after drop to $299/$349 in april. I believe this was the reason for the bad sales.

Now in june for the first time 1TB is being selling for $319 and 500GB is $299 again.

allan-bh

I haven't looked at their attach rates in a while, bit last time I looked, this wasn't beyond 1. Thats not much different than last gen, in the states. Worldwide, wasn't close.

So that's not really true, otherwise the WiiU would be more viable.

I don't think we ever knew worldwide attach rate for Xbox One.

It's true, at least for retail sales in USA, the point is that attach rate doesn't mean anything if actual sales are bad, that's why Wii U doesn't receive love from third parties.

What other metric we can use to talk about quality in a way that is not just personal preference?

btw, your post about PS4 having more games in raw number and in quality (based on scores) is completely true.

His comment was about being a "flag bearer" for racing games. That doesn't necessarily implicate quality.

I'd say the "flagbearer" for any genre is the title that sells the most or has the biggest impact. E.g. Call of Duty is the flagbearer for console FPS games yet I doubt many here would consider it among the best the FPS genre has to offer.

Gotta be somewhere around 100k in UK too right? Given its been in the top 10 since launch iirc.

Ratchet is around 80k retail in the UK so far. I'm not sure as to the standard digital ratio there.

Syf

Banned
This is so misleading when it comes to PC games. Even Legacy of the Void sold over a million in 24 hours, and Overwatch had a far bigger launch than that did. Guaranteed Overwatch won the month in reality. Its subreddit is already larger than Dota 2's and CS:GO's. The real number will come out when Activision Blizzard posts its next quarterly report, and that number will be massive.

Fady K

The games resemble each other more than one might think gameplay wise. To me it's obvious they are both Remedy games. I liked Alan Wake much more, though. Partly for the story, partly for the atmosphere. The combat is better in Quantum Break, although I thought it was very repetitive after a while. Remedy really need to work on variety in their games. Why not use vehicles? More weapons? Something! What you get the first hour is what you get in the entire game.

Overall, QB was a 7/10 for me. The story is pretty good but I never cared much for the characters and the game lacks the humor and amazing atmosphere Alan Wake had, where I could just run around admiring the environments, talking to people and not least listening to the radios scattered around the area (reading very long emails in QB was never any fun).

I mainly loved Alan Wake for the amazing atmosphere. At least they seemed to have improved gunplay/combat in QB. I noticed unfortunately that variety is a glaring problem in their games. Even the first two Max Payne games, which were really good, were quite linear in a very restricted way with not much variety.

Did the mini show add to the game's plot in a good way? Shame about the boring plot elements. Remember how awesome Night Springs was in Alan Wake for instance? Was very fun to find them playing in the game.

Combat is much better. Story isn't as good. But it isn't as long. I beat it twice and got 1000/1000. If you like Remedy games, it's worth checking out. I

Thanks for the impressions ^^

Top Bottom