• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2016

Loris146

It will depend on three things:
Will it be way cheaper than the Neo?
Will it be way more powerful than the Neo?
Will it release way earlier than the Neo?

You'll need at least two Yes for changing Xbox's luck at least in the US.

No
Yes ( More powerful for hardcore gamers. Average consumers will not care at all )
No

It will depend on three things:
Will it be way cheaper than the Neo?
Will it be way more powerful than the Neo?
Will it release way earlier than the Neo?

You'll need at least two Yes for changing Xbox's luck at least in the US.

I would add if 'yes' to the 2nd question, is the price per power attractive enough?

Oh don't get me wrong I adore GAF. And yeah I bounced out of that particular thread quickly lol

I fell behind in that thread. What's going on over there?

Looking at how UC4 failed to break 1 million after a few weeks in NA in comparison to the game doing 2.7 million first week WW, it does show that Sony have little reliance on the region. Even worst case scenario, UC4 will have passed 3 million WW and that's low balling for the month, but it means that NA possibly accounted for about a third of UC4 sales. Sony should thank the stars that the Playstation brand is a genuine powerhouse in EU, it's pulling in some serious numbers. Digital is not announced for and I'm in the UK but purchased it from Canada PSN, however I seriously doubt digital accounted for a huge chunk of the sales.

No idea how other upcoming first party games will do in NA though, from the games announced I can only see Horizon doing half decent and the inevitable GOW4 will do well. But GT Sport, GR2, TLG, Detroit etc ain't going to move the needle even a tiny bit in NA, will be another case of EU doing the leg work

1) Europe, Asia and emerging markets are not a crutch for Sony. They are not some God forsaken lands that get the crumbs that fall from the US table . They are major markets that they have spent money, time and a tons of resources on.

2) Because they have spent money, time and dedicated resources to having their brand established in those regions, Sony do not have the stars to think for this miraculous cosmic event. Their own teams have handled things masterfully and have been reaping the benefits on a continuous basis...

SwolBro

Banned
MS fucked up so bad from one generation to the next. PS3 had a rough start but recovered. Not sure where they go from here. I guess they are hoping the scorpio saves em.

saves them from what exactly? considering the toxicity of their product prior to launch i find their turn around to be nothing short of amazing... Amazing that the team over there has done everythign in their power to make this a fantastic console that is succeeding in being the best gaming platform that actually strives to be better (xbox elite controller, dedicated servers, constant U.I updates, backwards compatibility)

At this point nothing is going to stop the ps4 brand awareness and install base. Stop with the narrative that just because it's not number 1 it's "omg it needs to be saved" nonsense. No matter how much you wish it to be so, it's just not the case.

They'll do what they can to try and regain number 1 in the markets they had from last gen. But until then please, hyperbole down.

Seriously, Xbox one actually did well enough to be the best loser/second place in a console generation. I'm sure it will outsold N64 in the end.
Plus it sell well enough to make sure no western third party stop making Xbox one version. They'll be fine as long as they have those support.

No, that would have to be either the PS3 or the Xbox 360, both of which lost to the Wii but ended up selling something like 85 million consoles...

God of War 4 gonna be very disappoint. I call it now.

Hey, didn't you predict 300k sales for UC4 at first? ;)

btw, I'll switch back to Nate avatar at some point, but for now, this one has to do. Made me literaly cry when I found it. Love this guy
brush
sooo much and I am really grateful ND produced this monument.

Somebody check on Senjutsusage (or whatever his username is) asap!

Seriously, this saddens me. I don't know what went wrong with Quantim Break -perhaps the market is no longer interested in SP only titles-, but I feel that Remedy deserves better...

It didn't get GREAT reviews. A new IP like that needs great reviews to be successful.

ethomaz

Banned
Somebody check on Senjutsusage (or whatever his username is) asap!

Seriously, this saddens me. I don't know what went wrong with Quantim Break -perhaps the market is no longer interested in SP only titles-, but I feel that Remedy deserves better...
While I agree a lot of gamers will love the game it is a clear case of love or hate... the game has a lot of flaws in gameplay and game design that will make some gamers hate it.

It is a good game not recommended to everybody.

If it fits your tastes then you will love it like the one of the best games ever.

1) Europe, Asia and emerging markets are not a crutch for Sony. They are not some God forsaken lands that get the crumbs that fall from the US table . They are major markets that they have spent money, time and a tons of resources on.

2) Because they have spent money, time and dedicated resources to having their brand established in those regions, Sony do not have the stars to think for this miraculous cosmic event. Their own teams have handled things masterfully and have been reaping the benefits on a continuous basis...
seriously...I would kinda be insulted if I was from there. I'm in the U.S right next to one of the biggest cities (NYC) and it's not some glamorous place, we are in tons of debt actually.

These other markets are just as important and are showing signs of growth, which is incredibly important.

saves them from what exactly? considering the toxicity of their product prior to launch i find their turn around to be nothing short of amazing... Amazing that the team over there has done everythign in their power to make this a fantastic console that is succeeding in being the best gaming platform that actually strives to be better (xbox elite controller, dedicated servers, constant U.I updates, backwards compatibility)

At this point nothing is going to stop the ps4 brand awareness and install base. Stop with the narrative that just because it's not number 1 it's "omg it needs to be saved" nonsense. No matter how much you wish it to be so, it's just not the case.

They'll do what they can to try and regain number 1 in the markets they had from last gen. But until then please, hyperbole down.

If you go from dominating to second or distant second in every market worldwide, then yes, the product needs to be saved. Not number 1 is ok, but being 2x in sales is the definition of being fucked.

For the bold part, the general market doesn't reflect your personal tastes through sales and product reception, so it's irrelevant.

I didn't know people believed there was no market for SP games anymore

No market, no. Much less of a market? Absolutely. Biggest games in the world are multiplayer.

Shambala

It did have a great digital deal, where you got both X360 Alan Wake games and QB for Windows 10 for free with digital preorder...

I would like to think a good chunk of players went for that, but idk
I seriously doubt it will be a significant amount anyway

If you want to address the following question, I am insisting we don't rely on percentages but instead use absolute differences in unit sales:

Question: How much did conditions XYZ increase/boost PS4 sales in May 2016 compared to May 2015?

My position is that this is a mathematical statement specifying that we are to measure said boost via the difference in unit sales between May 2016 and May 2015. That delta in absolute unit sales is the appropriate basis for judging how impressive of a 'boost' conditions XYZ gave PS4. The question as posed demands a measure of the absolute differences, so obscuring that measure by relying on percentages is not only not helpful, but can be incredibly misleading.

You can see my point if you take the 'percentage based argument' to its logical extremes. You will find it is inconsistent unless you decide going from zero units --> 1 unit is a far more impressive feat than going from, say 1 unit --> 1million units. Presuming that nobody would agree the former is more impressive than the latter, the 'percentage based logic' is internally inconsistent whereas the absolute deltas are not.

There is a fundamental issue with you comparing the presumed statistical boost in PS4 sales in May due to Uncharted 4 and the greater boosts that the Xbox 360 saw with key Halo games during the holiday season. There are plenty of ways to view it, but imagine the combined sales of the month for all consoles as a pizza and the boost in game sales is equivalent to one person eating more slices than they normally would.

The month of May is a small pizza, so a 50K boost in normally the slowest sales month of the year can't be compared in a linear way to September-November months where the pizza is an extra large. Percentages aren't everything, sure, but for some reason you seem inclined to disregard the time of the year when your examples are literally comparing the worst month versus the best months.

I don't know contextually how good Uncharted 4's boost was versus other major exclusive launches. Maybe, given the month, it's very good. Maybe it's decent. Hell, maybe it's terrible. Regardless, you should acknowledge what people have tried to explain in various ways - you can't compare May to September, October or November. It's just non-nonsensical.

you are being a bit dramatic yourself here. MS isn't just not number 1 they are losing in the only markets that care about it.

-They are ahead of 360 by doing fire sales every holiday
- Software is being sold exponentially better on the competing console
- Windows 10/PC integration isn't some full proof plan because of Steam, Windows store still doesn't have a lot traction

There are other factors, but my main point is the Xbox doesn't need "saving" but it certainly isn't doing as well as MS expected. And even its success IMO is gained by cutting a lot of corners, ones that don't seem to be working anymore. And Sony have done the same thing with there platform in improving, Ms is a software company and Xbox benefits from that expertise. Sony made a flat out better piece of kit from the beginning however, that many love to overlook as "now they are resting on their laurels"
It's silly...

allan-bh

I don't want to start any war or anything, but how does that compare to what we know about the Order? In my mind I always equated the two for the respective consoles.

Additionally, how amazing were the Vita sales on a scale of 90-100?

The Order sold more than 190k in first month and had a big drop on second month to something like 40k if I remember correctly.

btw, this report (QB less than 200k) is about standalone sales.

Fady K

Quantum Break has got to be one of the biggest bombs of this generation by far. That's terribly sad. I've yet to play it but I loved Remedy's recent games. Are Remedy fans jere happy with it? Is it one of their better games?

The Order sold more than 190k in first month and had a big drop on second month to something like 40k if I remember correctly.

btw, this report (QB less than 200k) is about standalone sales.

But again, sonys strength in the ROW plays into it, the order bombed, but they have other markets(70%) to play in, it got some award iirc in Germany for 300k? or be 400k, it broke a million easily.

Quantum break did <200k in the place that is 50-60% of its market, it probably hasn't even sold half a million WW, probably didn't even make back littlefingers and icemans salaries with that.

allan-bh

But again, sonys strength in the ROW plays into it, the order bombed, but they have other markets(70%) to play in, it got some award iirc in Germany for 300k? or be 400k, it broke a million easily.

Quantum break did <200k in the place that is 50-60% of its market, it probably hasn't even sold half a million WW, probably didn't even make back littlefingers and icemans salaries with that.

Quantum Break has a Win 10 version being sold too, so who knows.

Lemondish

Let's do it the other way round. Take the biggest flops of this gen. They are mostly single player.
Of course a single player game can be successful, but it's getting harder and harder to convince people to fork out cash for an experience that is over in 6 to 8 hours.
It's saddening for me, too, as I nearly exclusively play single-player stuff, but it is how it is.

I think I (and others) would need more than just this statement to suggest that single player games are the only flops.

For instance, does this include games with both? Was it a new IP? Were there other factors to consider?

Single player games aren't harder to support. The extreme number of huge indie successes this generation prove they aren't dieing. In fact, they're growing.

Quantum Break has a Win 10 version being sold too, so who knows.

Yeah we know games havent performed on there, and we know QB was another shat out windows port with issues to fix.

http://www.windowscentral.com/remedy-plans-fix-quantum-break-issues-windows-10-and-xbox-one

i wouldn't hold your breath on W10 saving Quantum Bomb.

They are mostly single player.

And they are mostly bad to mediocre games.

Singleplayer games that are good like Doom, Wolfenstein, Uncharted and Ratchet and clank did okay.

Fady K

Just imagine, the Order, a game that reviewed so badly and disappointed so many gamers, had a severe lack of gameplay - yet it sold in its first month more than QB has possibly sold in it's first two months.

Quantum Break has got to be one of the biggest bombs of this generation by far. That's terribly sad. I've yet to play it but I loved Remedy's recent games. Are Remedy fans jere happy with it? Is it one of their better games?

I liked it. The combat was incredible, the story was OK, the platforming was abundant and mediocre.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Forgetting the free copies given out with the Xbone version, I doubt the actual sales were anywhere near the 15,000 that Tomb Raider had.

heh? pretty stupid comparison

TR is available on Steam and Windows store. This is available only on Windows store.

Sterok

So what's the formula for successful non-open-world SP focused games? Content/length? Brand? Marketing? Price? Excellent word of mouth? There have been success stories, so there's still something going for them at the moment.

NoPiece

One indication that the Xbox sales of Quantum Break were slow was the small number of PC codes available on Ebay. I was hoping to pick up a code cheap, but there were very few auctions, and most ended up getting bid past my limit. Right now there is only a single PC code auction on Ebay, and looking at completed listings, only ~250 total sold.

hmph, did just miss a 12.50 sale..

No wonder MS are concentrating on Windows 10 and leaving consoles behind.

The Xbox Scorpio will be nothing more than a Windows 10-box a la Steambox tried to be for Valve and Steam OS (Linux) gaming.

Top Bottom