• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

zeldablue

Honestly OoT Link should look pretty scraggly after being out for seven years, too. It's better to just ignore stuff like that, lol.

In this game was he really asleep or was he dead? I can't tell if they're using "sleep" as a euphemism or not. But...I mean, Shrine of Resurrection makes it sound like he was straight up dead.

Assuming this is in the Fallen Link timeline, after OOT. I'm curious if OoT Zelda is the Zelda that was asleep for centuries in Zelda 2. Hylia and SS Zelda had to sleep for a 1000 years to contain Demise. Ganon who has had the whole Triforce at this point would likely take tremendous power to contain as well. I'm thinking OoT Zelda is the voice and is asleep in the castle keeping Calamity Ganon within Hyrule Castle. I could see them have another Zelda in BotW in addition to the OoT that plays a more Tetra/Sheik like role and is OoT Zelda's closest descendant.

Wait, what's this all about? I didn't see any creatures.

Here

xoh8qdd.gif

Death Mountain "creature"

TheMoon

So I found this nice map of OoT and decided to overlay it with the Great Plateau map using the Temple of Time as a scale and orientation base:

MDG3rnw.jpg

4D0zdQW.jpg

Prtv4D4.jpg

jHcut6d.gif

So it looks like the Eastern Abby is where Hyrule Castle was.

The Master Sword looks like it's been damaged in battle and left in the elements. The Temple of Time looks much less damaged than the Twilight Princess version and TP was only about 100 years, too.

Makes sense ...because:

zelda-wild-11llsmi.jpg

hqdefaultnusn7.jpg

###############

EDIT
since people are still seeing this and insta-react without seeing me debunk this supposed find a few posts later, here it is:

You're actually right.

Let me debunk my own find right here lol.

herezcs6j.jpg

boosadnessf4sim.jpg

https://youtu.be/NIrY56yg7dY?t=952

Sorry to blow and then unblow everyone's minds but I think it was worth it. Still a really really cool shoutout as I still believe it is a fully intentional design.

I think before that confusion I had identified the abbey as the part where the stationary Guardian is fought, no?

edit:
yes, totally.

guardianabbeyevzd5.jpg

https://youtu.be/NMs2tLKK088?t=667

= it's not that spot form OoT Hyrule Castle courtyard, sadly.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
For those worried about shrine puzzle variety, I'm almost 100% convinced that every shrine was designed by a different game developer, so puzzle variety should be much more visible than we're used to in Zelda games.

I say this because the shrine names are almost definitely anagrams of the game developers' names (the first one is clearly Aonuma) and because the monks at the end clearly say that the shrine is a trial "I created" which really seems like a fairly meta phrasing.

This is what I came up with, my thinking is that not all of them are specific people names, some could be nicknames:

Kalm Yu'goh -> ???
Kam Yatakh -> ???
Ke Numut -> Tsumu-ken? (nickname) "N" here has to be the ん sound in Japanese, at the very least
Owa Daim -> Wada Mio (full name)
Ja Baij -> Java Ji (Grandpa who gets coffee)

Basically it helps converting into Japanese cause these are likely romanized from something. (IE Ja Baij is a B but its likely a V, so on)

TheMoon

This is what I came up with, my thinking is that not all of them are specific people names, some could be nicknames:

Kalm Yu'goh -> ???
Kam Yatakh -> ???
Ke Numut -> Tsumu-ken? (nickname) "N" here has to be the ん sound in Japanese, at the very least

Basically it helps converting into Japanese cause these are likely romanized from something. (IE Ja Baij is a B but its likely a V, so on)

Hmm I would've thought some of them were gonna be partial names.

Owa Daim -> Daiki Iwamoto (programmer/planner/boss battle director in various Zeldas [OoT, PH, ST, ALTTP+FS, FSA, SS, TWWHD])

But that one's probably both too easy and a bit of a stretch. Just made a quick fit with someone who did design work on a previous entry :D

syeefoo

Neo Member
This is the clearest picture I can get for the mysterious moving 'thing' climbing Death Mt.

vV2yftL.png

*from the 4k screenshots in this thread (warning: very gif / image intensive thread)

Is this a guardian? Or means of transport, for Gorons (IF they still remain in this era...) to travel up and down Death Mt. to do mining? (is it possible that there're inhabitants ON the Death Mt.?)

TheMoon

This is the clearest picture I can get for the mysterious moving 'thing' climbing Death Mt.

vV2yftL.png

*from the 4k screenshots in this thread (warning: very gif / image intensive thread)

Is this a guardian? Or means of transport, for Gorons (IF they still remain in this era...) to travel up and down Death Mt. to do mining? (is it possible that there're inhabitants ON the Death Mt.?)

It's Howl's Moving Castle.

BY2K

Membero Americo

vV2yftL.png

That's a big ass Guardian.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So it's pretty clear this Hyrule is a post-apocalyptic version of the same Hyrule of Ocarina of Time.

You know, just WAY bigger, too.

I wonder if there's other locations like this.

khaaan

Man, would I get hot and bothered if the other locations on the map are Holodrum and Labrynna complete with portals leading to Subrosia.

takriel

So it must allude to the world of Twilight Princess, as well, going by the comments of Aonuma. I wonder if this world mixes the worlds of OoT, WW and TP together in some fashion...

Makes sense ...because:

zelda-wild-11llsmi.jpg

hqdefaultnusn7.jpg

Looks like a different location to me. This Hyrule seems like a reimagining of OoT's Hyrule with many artistic liberties.

Temple of Time's location matches Skyward Sword and TP. There's even a forest area to the north (I guess we might posit Calamity Ganon wiped out the rest of the forest). Only OoT shows the ToT in Castle Town. They probably redacted that detail as it's pretty close to Ganon's Tower.

Makes sense ...because:

zelda-wild-11llsmi.jpg

hqdefaultnusn7.jpg

Wow, that's really well done. Just curious though, was that area actually in the demo? I don't remember seeing any videos of anyone in that area besides in the trailer.

Kalm Yu'goh -> ???
Kam Yatakh -> ???

Awesome work! I imagine there are some translation issues with these anagrams, yeah. But glad you could figure some of them out!

vV2yftL.png

The really insane thing about that creature (to me anyway) is how it's likely somewhere over 10km away from the camera, yet we can still see it moving in game (not just in the 4k screenshot). Maybe I'm not that well versed in modern open world games but I can't remember seeing actual animated skeletal meshes that far away in a game. Most open world games mask draw distances with large mountain barriers (Skyrim) or just plain enemy pop in (Xenoblade X) but for this particular instance we see an animated skeletal mesh on the other side of the game world, and we can see some incredible detail for that distance.

/End draw distance rant.

Top Bottom