• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

Wow, that's really well done. Just curious though, was that area actually in the demo? I don't remember seeing any videos of anyone in that area besides in the trailer.

I think it was. I remember a ruined wall with the same treasure chest placement being visited near the ruined Temple of Time on stream.

TheMoon

I honestly thought I was quite late with the Hyrule Castle courtyard window thing. Would've thought everyone had recognized that place right away. :D

Super-giant-Gohma? Yeah, possible. It can also be that big-ass guardian at the end of the trailer.

It's the cut Gohma from the 2004 TP reveal trailer. Once you get there it goes "sorry to keep you waiting!" and it chases you down the mountain into remade TP Beta Forest. :D

Eradicate

I think it was. I remember a ruined wall with the same treasure chest placement being visited near the ruined Temple of Time on stream.

Is that the one where the treasure chest has the pants in it? (From the "main" E3 video.) You'd think more would be there than pants with such a memorable location, but you got to have pants!

Makes sense ...because:

zelda-wild-11llsmi.jpg

hqdefaultnusn7.jpg
These bear no resemblance. The Great Plateau is supposed to be OoT's Castle town but not where Hyrule Castle used to be. The Great Plateau is surrounded by an ancient wall structure that goes along its perimeter. This matches up with OoT's Castle town but not Hyrule Castle. In the middle of Ganon's Apocalypse, they did not make a new Hyrule Castle right near the one Ganon just wrecked.

Svafnir

These bear no resemblance. The Great Plateau is supposed to be OoT's Castle town but not where Hyrule Castle used to be. The Great Plateau is surrounded by an ancient wall structure that goes along its perimeter. This matches up with OoT's Castle town but not Hyrule Castle. In the middle of Ganon's Apocalypse, they did not make a new Hyrule Castle right near the one Ganon just wrecked.

To be fair wasn't where the castle.... used to be, a giant hole in the ground with the new floating ganons castle floating above it in OoT?

If does seem like it moved.

3phemeral

Any ideas?

It looks like a giant manta ray

Well, I isolated what I could of the camera movement and it just looks like the same kind of Calamity Ganon black-swirl special-effect rotating around something.

Only thing is, I'm not sure if it's actually Calamity Ganon because I'm not sure what area they're in. If you look at closeups of the Calamity Ganon cutscene, I believe it's misleading as they spruced it up for that cutscene sequence.

My theory is it's just a very simplified form of the same effect; simplified because you're viewing it from a far-off distance so as not to be resource heavy. You can see that in the short time it's visible, it's rotating away from the camera.

6rRAoxh.gif

BY2K

Membero Americo

C'mon it totally is.

The really insane thing about that creature (to me anyway) is how it's likely somewhere over 10km away from the camera, yet we can still see it moving in game (not just in the 4k screenshot). Maybe I'm not that well versed in modern open world games but I can't remember seeing actual animated skeletal meshes that far away in a game.

I don't think that all creatures in this viewing distance are really calculated. I think the devs fakes this and put this special thing there to be visible from far away.

This is the other retcon they're doing (besides location of Temple of Time, which they decided was different years ago). I suppose that Ganon's Castle never happened. There's no way they rebuilt the castle and then had it taken by Ganon in the 100 years after Link fails.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
My guess is that it's just a small nod and easter egg to OoT and not meant to literally be the same garden/window Link and Zelda met in. Or it is and they are retconning Ganon's Castle and the fact that Hyrule Caste was completely and utterly destroyed.

TheMoon

My guess is that it's just a small nod and easter egg to OoT and not meant to literally be the same garden/window Link and Zelda met in. Or it is and they are retconning Ganon's Fortress and the fact that Hyrule Caste was completely and utterly destroyed.

You're actually right.

Let me debunk my own find right here lol.

Sorry to blow and then unblow everyone's minds but I think it was worth it. Still a really really cool shoutout as I still believe it is a fully intentional design.

I think before that confusion I had identified the abbey as the part where the stationary Guardian is fought, no?

edit:

yes, totally.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
You're actually right.

https://youtu.be/NIrY56yg7dY?t=952

Sorry to blow and then unblow everyone's minds but I think it was worth it. Still a really really cool shoutout as I still believe it is a fully intentional design.

I think before that confusion I had identified the abbey as the part where the stationary Guardian is fought, no?

edit:

yes, totally.

I was going to say I thought I remembered seeing that location as crazy close to the ToT but I was too lazy to look it up to prove my suspicion. Had that been around the Eastern Abbey it would have really been something, but it's barely 10 feet north of the ToT.

Still a great find and I think clear nod to OoT.

I don't think that all creatures in this viewing distance are really calculated. I think the devs fakes this and put this special thing there to be visible from far away.

Well obviously not every creature, but it's still fairly remarkable that even one creature has such detailed movements from that distance.

You're actually right.

edit:

yes, totally.

Well to be fair, we don't know exactly where Zelda's courtyard room was in relation to Hyrule Castle proper in OoT. It could've been a fair distance away, and since clearly this game is not anywhere similar to the scale of OoT it could be a reference to that.

Or not, since we know Zelda was looking through that window into the castle. I dunno!

TheMoon

Well to be fair, we don't know exactly where Zelda's courtyard room was in relation to Hyrule Castle proper in OoT. It could've been a fair distance away, and since clearly this game is not anywhere similar to the scale of OoT it could be a reference to that.

Or not, since we know Zelda was looking through that window into the castle. I dunno!

As you say, you are actually in Hyrule Castle in that scene. So we do know. :D

map_hyrulecastlerta2n.jpg

To be fair wasn't where the castle.... used to be, a giant hole in the ground with the new floating ganons castle floating above it in OoT?

If does seem like it moved.
I suppose I forgot about Ganon's Castle. I guess I just assumed that Ganons Castle was just Hyrule Castle renovated from Ganon's magic and when he was defeated it would return back to Hyrule Castle.

Except they clearly do. :D It's an iconic location from OoT and they just so happen to have a recognizable part of it in ruined form right there.^^
I'm not sure why so many people jumped onto a meadow and a ruined building structure as confirmation that it is the Hyrule Castle courtyard. There are locations similar to that in the Great Plateau. Also as I said those two images have little resemblance to each other.

TheMoon

I'm not sure why so many people jumped onto a meadow and a ruined building structure as confirmation that it is the Hyrule Castle courtyard. There are locations similar to that in the Great Plateau. Also as I said those two images have little resemblance to each other.

As I just debunked my own theory, it's clear these are not the same place. But it still baffles me how you can't see the obvious resemblance of that iconic location. The stairs leading up to that plateau in front of the window ... it's right there lol.

As you say, you are actually in Hyrule Castle in that scene. So we do know. :D

map_hyrulecastlerta2n.jpg

But you go through the whole courtyard maze thing, so we don't know for sure where Link ends up at the end of that. But yeah that window into the throne room (presumably) sorta clearly shows we're in the castle.

But my point that the scale is very different in this game still stands. It seems very intentional that they placed that design there to me. Maybe the Eastern Abbey isn't really all of Hyrule castle, but more or less the eastern wing? Maybe the entire area we are considering to be castle town was built up into Hyrule Castle over the ages?

I agree that they likely put that room there as a fun throwback but the nature of Zelda geography makes speculating and stretching things nice and doable.

hawthorneluke

Neo Member
This is what I came up with, my thinking is that not all of them are specific people names, some could be nicknames:

Kalm Yu'goh -> ???
Kam Yatakh -> ???
Ke Numut -> Tsumu-ken? (nickname) "N" here has to be the ん sound in Japanese, at the very least
Owa Daim -> Wada Mio (full name)
Ja Baij -> Java Ji (Grandpa who gets coffee)

Basically it helps converting into Japanese cause these are likely romanized from something. (IE Ja Baij is a B but its likely a V, so on)

This one had me laughing lol
I agree with the pretty high possibility of nickname usage though

Well, I isolated what I could of the camera movement and it just looks like the same kind of Calamity Ganon black-swirl special-effect rotating around something.

Only thing is, I'm not sure if it's actually Calamity Ganon because I'm not sure what area they're in. If you look at closeups of the Calamity Ganon cutscene, I believe it's misleading as they spruced it up for that cutscene sequence.

My theory is it's just a very simplified form of the same effect; simplified because you're viewing it from a far-off distance so as not to be resource heavy. You can see that in the short time it's visible, it's rotating away from the camera.

6rRAoxh.gif

Thanks!

khaaan

So it must allude to the world of Twilight Princess, as well, going by the comments of Aonuma. I wonder if this world mixes the worlds of OoT, WW and TP together in some fashion...

Hmm...I don't see why a version of the Twilight realm wouldn't exist in other timelines. Perhaps that's how a hypothetical callback could work? Similarly I imagine that's how a hypothetical skyloft would work? If what we're seeing in the sky really is Skyloft. Or maybe we'll finally get to see the legendary Sky Temple along with a unicorn fountain to get the Triforce.

Or maybe it's just the Smash Bros. stage.

Just seen the Gamespot video about the story of Zelda:
https://youtu.be/HGXg0KTgbY0?t=11m32s
This part in particular.. I think this would be a missed opportunity if we didn't have a time limit before Calamity Ganon regains its powers :")
Of course, I'm not saying give it 3 days limit. But like for exemple in Shenmue's way, which had a bad ending if you took too long.

Hobbun

This part in particular.. I think this would be a missed opportunity if we didn't have a time limit before Calamity Ganon regains its powers :")
Of course, I'm not saying give it 3 days limit. But like for exemple in Shenmue's way, which had a bad ending if you took too long.

Eh, would be no fan of that.

I understand the story and logistical reason on why they could implement a time limit, but I hope it’s something they don’t do. I’ve always been very much of a completionist and have always taken my time playing my RPGs, as well as adventure games (I've always been pretty slow). So I’ve never liked time limits in any sense.

That's kind of silly given how much of the emphasis in this game is on the scale and trying to get to every corner of the world.

Meh. I don't think it would be a good idea. I mean, this game is made to explore and to lose many hours doing nothing to advance the story.

RagnarokX

You're actually right.

edit:

yes, totally.

There's actually more than one of these:

EZTut5L.jpg

Gsnap

Can't watch the video yet, but I'd say it's pretty obvious that the Guardians were built by the shiekah for good but then corrupted by ganon. Sure, maybe that's not correct, but I'd say it's the most obvious or likely scenario. The technology of the guardians is similar/the same as the shrines and towers in style, so they must have made them. And so far we've seen shiekah tech light up in one of two colors. Orange, which is for things that are currently inactive. And blue, which is for things Link has activated with his slate. But Guardians light up redish purple, similar to the swirls of Calamity Ganon hovering over the castle.

(and there's mini-guardians in the shrines)

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Great analysis. Surprising as I watched one of his videos about the timeline and it was pretty shallow and pointed to post WW based on just the Koroks and nothing else. But everything here makes sense and connects very well. While I still wish the game is set after AoL, the fact that Castle town is so similar to that of OoT Castle Town makes it seem unlikely. Still doesn't explain the fact that there is an entirely new Hyrule Castle off in the distance.

B-But Mt.Hylia being old Death Mountain makes so much sense...

Not really. Scale is totally off. Death Mountain is like 100 yards from Castle Town/Temple of Time. Makes far more sense to simply be the remains of the city and nothing else.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Makes sense ...because:

zelda-wild-11llsmi.jpg

hqdefaultnusn7.jpg

YO. That single shot totally solidifies it for me, the Great Plateau is Ocarina's Hyrule Field and the remains of Hyrule Castle Town.

Edit: And it makes complete sense that the Guardians are working for Ganon now, rather than the friendly blue technomagic glow that all the Sheikah stuff have, they have the same glow Calamity Ganon has over Hyrule Castle.

Gsnap

One thing that would be interesting, is if Link can gain the ability to turn guardians back to normal later. Would make sense given the other tools Link has. Every piece of shiekah technology that is either inactive, or outside of Link's control, is orange. Whereas, once he uses his shiekah slate on it, it becomes blue.

Since the Guardians are corrupted, and purple, it could be possible for use to "fix" them and they'd turn blue. Also, notice how the mini-guardians in the shrines are orange. They aren't corrupted, but they still attack Link because they are built specifically for the trials, and therefore are not under his control. So one shrine could give us the power to control the mini-guardians in shrines, and then possibly upgrade to overworld, corrupted guardians later on.

Meesh

Slightly off topic but I can't remember a game or series for that matter that's received so much criticism, love, hype, speculation and volume of threads as BotW and perhaps Zelda in general.

I just had a thought (another one) about the master sword in BotW. Being the emphasis this time is on scavenging and maybe crafting, maybe the Master Sword is picked up late in the game because it's really only effective or useful against Ganon himself? It's a simple thing I suppose, but kind of a big deal because previously we've been able to run about with the MS and dispose of a variety of enemies with relatively large portions of the game left... But with BotW, maybe it's only useful when its energy is focused on Ganon, a key item of sorts. Would this break the game for anyone? Has anyone considered this already?

Dimmle

These attempts at 1:1 correlations with previous overworld layouts never pan out. Come now. It's a Zelda game. They'll cherry pick iconic locations and throw out the rest with minimal concern for consistency.

stoff

Also, if they really wanted to reference OoT's castle they'd definetly allude to the courtyard Link and Zelda met in, somehow.

Haha! So much for that, I guess...
So that solidifies it: The Great Plateau is OoT's Castle Town. It's cliffs are the old City Wall.
Seems as if there's a new Castle build to the north in all Timelines. (The North Castle of AoL & Hyrue Castle of TP)

Haha! So much for that, I guess...
So that solidifies it: The Great Plateau is OoT's Castle Town. It's cliffs are the old City Wall.
Seems as if there's a new Castle build to the north in all Timelines. (The North Castle of AoL & Hyrue Castle of TP)

I don't think the architectural resemblance there is strong enough. I think there's a lot of reaching going on, here. We get window features like this in practically every medieval fantasy game.

klier

There's a clear difference between those two outcomes (child Link and adult Link) and the Hero's downfall outcome- both of those outcomes actually happened in OoT, and the Hero's downfall never did!

It really wouldn't sit well with most players if they found out that this Link was the same one from OoT and for some reason this one died fighting Ganon, whereas everyone's memory of how OoT played out doesn't show that as an ending. I get it that it was brought in to make the timeline somewhat cohesive, but I really seriously doubt they will ever touch this downfall event directly.

As for other world, I actually think there's a good chance we will see one, specifically because Aonuma stated that the towns were very tied into the story, and from what we've seen in the present in BotW we haven't seen evidence of towns. I honestly think there will be some sort of time travel. Perhaps it will be the exact same world and landscape used, but there will be another layer of the world in this game.

Or they just show and explain the downfall timeline in a 2 minute cutscene. It wouldn't take much.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
The thing that still makes me question if this game is another direct sequel to OoT is the fact that there is another Hyrule Castle sitting right there in the distance which doesn't fully match up with current theories. I can see two scenarios right now for a 100 years post OoT game. One feasible, but still iffy, the other just doesn't work.

For both the way things looks is that at the end of OoT in the Fallen Timeline Link was defeated. Zelda and the Sages fought to seal Ganon away in the Sacred Realm and the Sheikah took Link into the Resurrection Shrine to heal.

In scenario 1) Zelda and the Sages succeed in sealing Ganon away on their own. Peace returns to Hyrule for a time. Enough time that they could build a completely new Hyrule Castle/Town far north of the old city. Possibly the Temple of Time and old city were also rebuilt a little, as evidenced by the Eastern Abbey, but it was clearly not the same as before OoT events. Then at some point Calamity Ganon breaks free. Struggling to contain him the Sheikah send out their Guardians to help, but Ganon someone how takes control of them. The guardians then lay waste to the kingdom and almost completely level old Hyrule and the Temple of Time, but something stops them. Likely Zelda and the Sages having contained Calamity Ganon within the new Hyrule Castle somehow, but they could not reseal him in the Sacred Realm. All in all many years would have to pass between the Link's defeat and Ganon being sealed by Zelda and his eventual breakout for all this reconstruction to occur.

In scenario 2) Immediately following Link's defeat at the end of OoT the Sheikah send out the Guardians to help contain Ganon now that the Hero has fallen but he takes control of them and goes on a rampage across Hyrule, leveling what is left of the already devastated Castle Town and trying to demolish the Temple of Time. Zelda and the Sages though still manage to seal him away before things are completely overrun. The problem here though is where did that entirely new castle up north come from for Zelda and the Sages to contain Calamity Ganon in? A giant castle doesn't just pop up out of nowhere.

Scenario #1 seems far more likely, but in both instances how is <100 years, likely significantly less so for scenario #1, enough time for the whole Kingdom to seemingly melt away and for the old Castle Town area to become mythologized as the Old Man states that Legend says the plateaus is the origins of the Kingdom of Hyrule. Dude looks old enough that he, if not the very least his parents, were alive to see Scenario #1, if not #2, unfold. Just feels off, but then again Nintendo has never really been one for clear and precise accuracy and logic when writing out Zelda games. So it's still all entirely possible it's a direct sequel to OoT.

Another issue for Scenario #1 at least is that the Old Man clearly states that Calamity Ganon appeared 100 years ago and then Zelda tells Link he's been asleep for 100 years. 100 years is pretty precise language compared to just saying a century which provides more wiggle room. So that makes it seem like the arrival of the former caused the slumber of the latter. Which would make sense for Scenario #2 that every transpired immediately after Link's defeat in Oot, but then we are back to the issue of where the hell did an entirely new Hyrule Castle come from and why was Ganon sealed there and not in the old Hyrule castle region and around the ToT.

Now alternatively this new Hyrule Castle could be the Northern Palace from LoZ/AoL. As LoZ and especially AoL map don't fully match up with previous games they might be retconning the shit out of all that, taking elements from both, which can kind of be seen in the BotW map from the 2014 demo. So in this scenario the Great Plateau would be the Old Hyrule of OoT, which happens to be near Lake Hylia, somewhat matching up with LoZ map which had an elevated area to the N-NW and the graveyard area, Easter Abbey? Then just like AoL much further north is the Northern Castle, what we see as likely Hyrule Castle and Calamity Ganon in BotW. Major changes are the reduction of large waterways from AoL into simple rivers and Death Mountain being in the NE corner of the map and not the Western middle. What can you do. Nintendo's never been afraid of jacking up geography.

Anyway. BotW could then take place after AoL. Despite preventing Ganon's resurrection and awakening the original sleeping Zelda at the end of that game, somehow Calamity Ganon breaks loose in the Northern Castle shortly after. The Sheikah come out of the wood work to help contain him, but the Guardians get taken over and run wild. Link get's wrecked and Zelda uses the Triforce, or something, to contain Ganon in the Northern Castle. Cut to 100 years later and the game starts.

To me this makes more sense for the Great Plateau to become mythologized as the birth place of Hyrule Kingdom as that would be many hundreds of years after OoT and not just <100. As well it would better match up between the 100 years of Calamity Ganon appearing and Link being asleep and such. Then again it might be too much time given the condition of the ToT and all the events that occur between OoT and AoL. Similarly there are other issues. Such as there are technically two Zeldas at the end of AoL which I guess they could just ignore but that is kind of weird situation.

RagnarokX

There's a clear difference between those two outcomes (child Link and adult Link) and the Hero's downfall outcome- both of those outcomes actually happened in OoT, and the Hero's downfall never did!

It really wouldn't sit well with most players if they found out that this Link was the same one from OoT and for some reason this one died fighting Ganon, whereas everyone's memory of how OoT played out doesn't show that as an ending. I get it that it was brought in to make the timeline somewhat cohesive, but I really seriously doubt they will ever touch this downfall event directly.

As for other world, I actually think there's a good chance we will see one, specifically because Aonuma stated that the towns were very tied into the story, and from what we've seen in the present in BotW we haven't seen evidence of towns. I honestly think there will be some sort of time travel. Perhaps it will be the exact same world and landscape used, but there will be another layer of the world in this game.
OoT not showing a downfall ending is precisely why it needs to happen. A lot of fans got mad at the timeline for creating a third split. BotW could explain it in a more palatable way and make it irrefutably canon.

I think another purpose for BotW is to soften the blow for those upset at the idea of the Hero of Time getting defeated by depicting him as getting resurrected and ultimately triumphing.

Also, since BotW obviously stars a Link who was previously defeated, why not just make him the one we already know got defeated? It'd mean less explaining on Nintendo's part.

moolamb

These attempts at 1:1 correlations with previous overworld layouts never pan out. Come now. It's a Zelda game. They'll cherry pick iconic locations and throw out the rest with minimal concern for consistency.

This is the only sane post I've read in the last couple pages.

Top Bottom