• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky drops below 1000 concurrent players on steam

To put it into context, I just took this screenshot:

qmdclZx.jpg

A very similar game with far less mainstream "hype". I don't recall Elite ever being on an E3 stage. It's also a few years old.

GkpvETE.jpg

Also X3: Albion Prelude is the most niche space game out there due to game scope/difficulty (besides EVE), entirely singleplayer and been out since 2011. Then again it has a big modding scene. Not more than NMS yet, but a lot for this game.

In any case I was looking at some other games, these are great numbers too for entirely singleplayer games. Modding really keeps games alive:

lNxFNCC.jpg

433VNGH.jpg

9OgRwA6.jpg

It makes no difference. No Man's Sky had a more successful launch than most games out on Steam. It's number 5 on Steam Charts for record peak.

What are you talking about? That is exactly what makes it exceptional. It started extremely high and fell so incredibly far in just a handful of weeks. The company it keeps with that high of an all time peak are games that stay in the 10s of thousands months if not years after launch.

here is the bottom of the top 100 on steam right now, for some sort of reference:
3,749 4,218 XCOM 2
3,679 3,973 Batman™: Arkham Knight
3,633 3,812 Empire: Total War
3,555 3,555 Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Multiplayer
3,344 3,501 METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN
3,341 3,749 Titan Quest Anniversary Edition
3,326 3,997 Football Manager 2014
3,310 3,537 Riders of Icarus
3,289 3,372 AdVenture Capitalist
3,268 3,635 Space Engineers
3,267 3,462 Medieval II: Total War
3,216 3,847 Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition
3,215 3,352 The Forest
3,180 3,180 Prison Architect
3,099 3,533 Kerbal Space Program
3,062 3,202 Grim Dawn
3,004 3,332 Pro Evolution Soccer 2017 Demo
2,982 3,080 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Multiplayer
2,973 2,973 Shakes and Fidget
2,969 3,344 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer
2,953 2,953 Total War: SHOGUN 2
2,842 3,007 Evolve Stage 2
2,782 2,903 Knight Online
2,773 3,357 BioShock Remastered
2,769 2,903 Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition
2,765 3,227 Killing Floor 2
2,764 2,849 F1 2016

Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition beating it by that margin is kind of funny to me for some reason.

Kill3r7

Do you honestly believe this is going to happen though?

I certainly don't. I'd bet those missing features and other issues will never appear.

Nope.

I was trying to illustrate that, even if Sean is overwhelmed by the negativity or is depressed, someone from Hello games should have released a statement. A mea culpa would go a long way in quieting the crowds.

WaterAstro

1/10th drop compared to 1/200th drop makes no difference?

You were trying to say its drop is no different then other single player games, and yet all the math shows that it is not the same as other games and how they fell off.

Arguing percentiles is stupid as it gives no context to actual numbers. If Mankind Divided had a peak of 200k+, it probably would have still fell off to 5k. Having a record launch for a non-multiplayer focused game is an achievement, but spinning it as a failure like this is just shameful. An indie studio like this isn't going to be bursting out with content patches to support the numbers like Fallout would.

Look at another high-profile indie game, Abzu. It only reached a peak of 1311 players.

I imagine it matters when it comes to their future/making new games and relations with Sony. I wouldn't claim to know anything about their business situation but the game has no chance of selling any DLC/expansions and it's not like the entire team can retire and live forever of the profits from one game, even if it did have a nice launch.

Who is going to partner up with them for their next game when they can't keep 1% of their player base for more than a month.

It's the PC version, not the PS4 version. Sony doesn't care about this particular stat.

Arguing percentiles is stupid as it gives no context to actual numbers. If Mankind Divided had a peak of 200k+, it probably would have still fell off to 5k. Having a record launch for a non-multiplayer focused game is an achievement, but spinning it as a failure like this is just shameful. An indie studio like this isn't going to be bursting out with content patches to support the numbers like Fallout would.

No, you are completely wrong here. It literally gives us context.

Arkeband

Banned
I have a feeling their plan is to pop up out of nowhere with a big update to make it seem like people overreacted and they were just so hard at work they didn't notice the growing dissent among their playerbase.

And it will flop because they're surprising all of a dozen people.

Armaros

Look at another high-profile indie game, Abzu. It only reached a peak of 1311 players.

It's the PC version, not the PS4 version. Sony doesn't care about this particular stat.

Its amazing you spout these kind of things without any evidence to support that and then pretend its a certainly and that makes your argument right.

Vs actual math and accurate numbers.

Yukinari

Many people on gaf said where is the gameplay 3-4 years ago and we got shut down even the subreddit was the same.

People don't learn.

I dont even wanna go back and read those threads cause theyre full of the same fanboys copy and pasting a list of features and interviews for NMS in response to anyone questioning what the game is about.

legacyzero

Banned
Even though I love the game, and I wager a lot of the haters fueling the fire never cared to play it even before launch, this is well deserved IMO. Sean botched this whole thing. Only a statement and news of the new content release will even put a dent in fixing this.

I remember the "this is how you play, 4 pillars of gameplay" trailers coming out, people were awed. I was like... that's the trailer? What did I learn? Absolutely nothing. Meanwhile the thread is breaking it down frame by frame to get blood from a stone.

WaterAstro

No, you are completely wrong here. It literally gives us context.

Context that a non-multiplayer focused game from an indie studio isn't going to have legs?
What point are you trying to make? Are Hello Games supposed to be throwing out major updates every week?

Nah, this is just another NMS hate thread in disguise.

Its amazing you spout these kind of things without any evidence to support that and then pretend its a certainly and that makes your argument right.

Vs actual math and accurate numbers.

Because Mankind Divided did worse than No Man's Sky's launch. What's your point?

Rains

There's no profit in them talking about it at this point. What could they possibly say to make people feel better? "We're sorry that we may have mislead you, but we're going to make good on all those promises over the next six months!" That's sure as hell not going to happen.

I'd bet Hello Games is going to quietly drift away in the next year, and they'll be more than happy to do that with all their profits. Maybe they'll resurface again when they've got a new game they want to hock and we'll get to see whether or not the gaming audience has a long enough memory for any of this to matter.

To the OP; after I was denied my refund on Steam, I thought about going back to it for a bit to give it another shot. But all I could think of was what a shell the game was and how playing it would probably just remind me of the time I was wasting. I haven't played it again since that first week.
May have mislead lol to be honest Sean has cost sony a customer and also highlighted how shit sony policys are regaurding buggy software after the way i was treated i will not be spending money on their market place and when i am done with the back log of games thats it they annoyied me that much sorry about the rant

Armaros

Context that a non-multiplayer focused game from an indie studio isn't going to have legs?
What point are you trying to make? Are Hello Games supposed to be throwing out major updates every week?

Because Mankind Divided did worse than No Man's Sky's launch. What's your point?

You have no idea how these games would have done if they hit the same numbers as NMS.

Stop pretending you 100% know they would have fell down the same.

Even though I love the game, and I wager a lot of the haters fueling the fire never cared to play it even before launch, this is well deserved IMO. Sean botched this whole thing. Only a statement and news of the new content release will even put a dent in fixing this.

If they discount the game after it's patched then people might give it another chance

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I gave it a good 2-3 weeks (PS4). Discovered 20-30 planets, got a big ship, started working toward the center of the galaxy or whatever. I just forgot to check back in one day and never went back. It's not that I disliked it, though I don't blame those that are actively mad. It's just ... I never think about this game at all.

The demo stage (Warehouse) of the og THPS was ultimately more compelling than this.

I'm making a point. No Man's Sky sold 4 times better than Mankind Divided. Deus Ex has never hit that record before.

How I interpret the drop is that a huge number of people bought it but there was no good word of mouth or "buzz" to sustain it. As people stopped playing, new players didn't fill their place.

It doesn't necessarily mean that people should be playing for 2 months straight to maintain those numbers.

I'm making a point. No Man's Sky sold 4 times better than Mankind Divided. Deus Ex has never hit that record before.

That says nothing about the quality of the game. Just that Sony had more marketing power than Square Enix....

Sony is ultimately the reason this is a $60 game with a ridiculous hype-to-actual-scope ratio and not a $15 PC-only release.

doemaaan

napbNoZ.png

Just saw this on Reddit. I wonder what the PS4 numbers are looking like considering it was the second biggest PS4 launch after Uncharted 4.
If this is true, I can't believe THAT many people bought into it. Even if half of those "lies" about the game were actually true, it still looked hella boring 😪.

That says nothing about the quality of the game. Just that Sony had more marketing power than Square Enix....

Sony is ultimately the reason this is a $60 game with a ridiculous hype-to-actual-scope ratio and not a $15 PC-only release.

I think it's unfair to say Sony had more marketing power than SE. People forgetting how much buzz the game had when it was first revealed? Before Sony was even involved.

Marketing won't magically make games hit numbers like that

WaterAstro

How I interpret the drop is that a huge number of people bought it but there was no good word of mouth or "buzz" to sustain it. As people stopped playing, new players didn't fill their place.

It doesn't necessarily mean that people should be playing for 2 months straight to maintain those numbers.

There's more reasons for the lack of new customers than "buzz". The price is the biggest factor as well as being on Steam, where everyone expects your game to go on a big sale.

I think the marketing is about the same. Both games had similar press coverage. I bet Deus Ex even had TV commercials where No Man's Sky didn't.

The $60 price is definitely the reason why people aren't getting into it. That's the only issue they should tackle.

There's more reasons for the lack of new customers than "buzz". The price is the biggest factor as well as being on Steam, where everyone expects your game to go on a big sale.

I agree and that's why earlier in the thread I said a discount post patch would probably help. But you seem to be in denial that the game was a huge disappointment for many and pretty much every discussion about the game is negative. That is obviously not going to help sell a game

Context of where the game began and where it is now and the time period from launch. It allows us to compare it to other titles with similar peaks and their trends. We can look at percentages and compare it to similar games that may not have started as high but have a sense if the rate is abnormal. That is context. A single snap shot of the current population doesn't give us that.

What point am I making? The point is that NMS's rate of drop in active player base is exceptional. It is in no way typical. That is all. I do not have any hate for the game. I do find these numbers to be fascinating, though. I'm not sure why you would assume I'm suggesting anything about their update cycle though.

Reckheim

I think the marketing is about the same. Both games had similar press coverage. I bet Deus Ex even had TV commercials where No Man's Sky didn't.

The $60 price is definitely the reason why people aren't getting into it. That's the only issue they should tackle.

Price was a big issue yes, the game however has plenty of other issues.

WaterAstro

What point am I making? The point is that NMS's rate of drop in active player base is exceptional. It is in no way typical. That is all. I do not have any hate for the game. I do find these numbers to be fascinating, though.

No Man's Sky isn't a typical game for reaching 200k+ peak either. Why don't you dabble on that number.

Price was a big issue yes, the game however has plenty of other issues.

I don't have the PC version, so I don't know if the PC crashes and stuff are fixed if that's what you're talking about.

HeeHo

I like the game quite a bit but it's a pretty barebones survival game at this point. Needs more content badly.

hamchan

That's because Deus Ex would never be as good as No Man's Sky.

How does this have anything to do with your assertion that Deus Ex would have always dropped to below 5k no matter what it launched at? You've done nothing to prove or explain this. Why wouldn't it just be the same monthly percentage drop as it has now?

Jebusman

Banned
No Man's Sky isn't a typical game for reaching 200k+ peak either. Why don't you dabble on that number.

But that's precisely why this is such an exceptional case.

For a game to hit as high of a peak as 200K concurrent, and THEN fall to such a low well beyond the typical low in only 2 months is a massive sign that the game was not holding its playerbase. I'm not really sure why you're trying to debate this

Your assumption that this is just another NMS hate thread goes more to show where your biases lie though, so I'm not entirely shocked.

Krakn3Dfx

GkpvETE.jpg

Also X3: Albion Prelude is the most niche space game out there due to game scope/difficulty (besides EVE), entirely singleplayer and been out since 2011. Then again it has a big modding scene. Not more than NMS yet, but a lot for this game.

In any case I was looking at some other games, these are great numbers too for entirely singleplayer games. Modding really keeps games alive:

lNxFNCC.jpg

433VNGH.jpg

9OgRwA6.jpg

New Vegas representin'.
giphy.gif

Top Bottom