• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky drops below 1000 concurrent players on steam

I dunno. I'm kinda enjoying it, I mean yeah i'm only like 5 planets in but I like just flying around the worlds and stuff.

Don't play it all the time, go back to it in short bursts once a week or so but I don't think it's bad. That being said, I didn't follow all the build up to the release.

xkramz

To be fair every person deals with failure/pressure differently. That said, the fact that they have gone completely silent is not a good look. At the very least publish a statement apologizing or assure your customers that you are aware of the issue they are having with the game and you are working full steam ahead to fix them.
And this is why I won't buy another game from them ever again.

I can't remember seeing anything crash and explode into a nuclear mushroom cloud of disappointment this hard. The best part about this game is undoubtedly the entertainment it provides through endless drama...and yeah, I 'played' it.

Hello going radio-silent is the icing on the shit sandwich. Phenomenal, I hope the idiotic saga continues.

wig

I got spoiled on the ending and now I have no interest in ever finishing the game. I played it for about a week on PS4 then stopped.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
From it's first day peak, to month later(Even giving it a weekend peak).

97.2% drop.

Not really. That 200,000 peak is exceptionally high and that drop off is like nothing I've personally seen. If you look at the stats list there are tons of older non-fps and single player games holding much stronger and not ever coming close to that insane peak player count. Elite Dangerous is almost 2 years old, sold in the same ball park over a much longer time, including sales and what not. Peak 18000, current 5000. Compared to NMS's Peak 200,000 Current 1800. No Man's Sky I think is exceptional in the way it completely deflated so quickly.

Right. I'm not a huge fan of the game--the question was genuine.

Took me about 20-25 hours to get all achievements in the game, beat the "story," and reach the center of the galaxy. Didn't really feel like there was much worth doing beyond that.

To be fair every person deals with failure/pressure differently. That said, the fact that they have gone completely silent is not a good look. At the very least publish a statement apologizing or assure your customers that you are aware of the issue they are having with the game and you are working full steam ahead to fix them.

Do you honestly believe this is going to happen though?

I certainly don't. I'd bet those missing features and other issues will never appear.

jett

D-Member
I hope the Hello Games people invest their early NMS earnings wisely, since I don't see how their reputation is going to recover.

flkraven

To put it into context, I just took this screenshot:

qmdclZx.jpg

A very similar game with far less mainstream "hype". I don't recall Elite ever being on an E3 stage. It's also a few years old.

Huddy

It wouldn't surprise me if we never hear of this game again from Hello Games. It's all gone so horribly wrong at this point that they may as well cancel any planned DLC and draw a line under NMS.

RK9039

To put it into context, I just took this screenshot:

qmdclZx.jpg

A very similar game with far less mainstream "hype". I don't recall Elite ever being on an E3 stage. It's also a few years old.

And that's the Steam chart right? I think the game has a separate launcher for the non-Steam version.

U2NUMB

So lets see if Gaf can give them hope for a day.. everyone with the game that was not able to refund lets fire it up today and see the one day spike. Lets show the power of gaf!!

Edit: wait.. I uninstalled.. not gonna download that again.. sorry plan is off everyone.

So lets see if Gaf can give them hope for a day..everyone with the game that was not able to refund lets fire it up today and see the one day spike. Lets show the power of gaf!!

Edit: wait.. I uninstalled.. not gonna download that again.. sorry plan is off everyone.

Good luck finding anyone

flkraven

So lets see if Gaf can give them hope for a day.. everyone with the game that was not able to refund lets fire it up today and see the one day spike. Lets show the power of gaf!!

That's like using a defibrillator on a corpse

besada

Banned
Can't wait to see those posts that defend this saying its exactly what they expected. People should stop hating on the game. lol.
I don't care if you or anyone else hated it. I've enjoyed it and more than got my money's worth with over sixty hours of play. It's sad it's done so poorly and that Murray made such a mess of it, because there's some amazing stuff there that's overlooked in all the agita about what it could/should have been.

Novocaine

So GAF, what did we learn about pre-ordering games?

If the developer of a game won't even tell you what you do in the game wait for the game to get released and reviewed?

I don't think preordering in itself is inherently bad. But at least have knowledge on what you are putting your money down on I think is a good rule of thumb.

WaterAstro

NMS went from 200k to under 1K in a month and a half.

There are older non-mulitplayer games with less successful launches that still have more players

That's a normal drop to 1/10th of the peak player base. That's the standard for most single player games in comparable time spans.

What we're talking about here is a drop below 1/200th of the peak player base, in less than 2 months, which is certainly exceptional.

It makes no difference. No Man's Sky had a more successful launch than most games out on Steam. It's number 5 on Steam Charts for record peak.

Kade

0.13% of the total ownerbase and 0.44% of the peak concurrent going by Steam Spy numbers. Unprecedented.

Armaros

It makes no difference. No Man's Sky had a more successful launch than most games out on Steam. It's number 5 on Steam Charts for record peak.

1/10th drop compared to 1/200th drop makes no difference?

You were trying to say its drop is no different then other single player games, and yet all the math shows that it is not the same as other games and how they fell off.

Sasie

I imagine it matters when it comes to their future/making new games and relations with Sony. I wouldn't claim to know anything about their business situation but the game has no chance of selling any DLC/expansions and it's not like the entire team can retire and live forever of the profits from one game, even if it did have a nice launch.

Who is going to partner up with them for their next game when they can't keep 1% of their player base for more than a month.

Fdkn

I don't care if you or anyone else hated it. I've enjoyed it and more than got my money's worth with over sixty hours of play. It's sad it's done so poorly and that Murray made such a mess of it, because there's some amazing stuff there that's overlooked in all the agita about what it could/should have been.

same here but with ~80 hours.

I will play more in the future, is such a chill experience for me

Top Bottom