• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Guile is an absolute problem for some characters because his vskill screates a hitbox right in front of him. So jump ins are riskier.

True but that hitbox is still considered a projectile at the end of the day and people do have ways to deal with that specifically. Well timed crossup jumps, Armor through it, use projectile invincible moves like Birdie's bullhorn, moves that have upper body invincibility, fireballs of your own with 2 or more hits, invincible/projectile invincible CAs.

It's important to remember that the v-skill does go away if guile gets hit first so there are definitely ways to deal with that. It's not the v-skill specifically that's the problem. EDIT: Just saw your edit, you pretty much said what I said lol.

It's the v-skill combined with everything else in his arsenal.

Still not broken though. It's just a fact of life that some matchups are gonna be tough inherently, no matter what you do.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
True but that hitbox is still considered a projectile at the end of the day and people do have ways to deal with that specifically. Well timed crossup jumps, Armor through it, use projectile invincible moves like Birdie's bullhorn, moves that have upper body invincibility, fireballs of your own with 2 or more hits, invincible/projectile invincible CAs.

It's important to remember that the v-skill does go away if guile gets hit first so there are definitely ways to deal with that. It's not the v-skill specifically that's the problem. EDIT: Just saw your edit, you pretty much said what I said lol.

It's the v-skill combined with everything else in his arsenal.

Still not broken though. It's just a fact of life that some matchups are gonna be tough inherently, no matter what you do.
Yeah but my biggest gripe with me as laura vs guile is that there is very little laura can do to get in on guile, since his sonic boom follow up on his vskill makes his boom two hits, negating the armor on lauras only move that give armor. Like give her armor on her on ex command grab too ao I can play mindgames. Maybe using her thunderclap is the answer, since i think charging it makes it hit more than once.

Man I should get back into birdie, I like laura but I feel he got better options for zoners.

Yeah but my biggest gripe with me as laura vs guile is that there is very little laura can do to get in on guile, since his sonic boom follow up on his vskill makes his boom two hits, negating the armor on lauras only move that give armor. Like give her armor on her on ex command grab too ao I can play mindgames. Maybe using her thunderclap is the answer, since i think charging it makes it hit more than once.

Man I should get back into birdie, I like laura but I feel he got better options for zoners.
Compared to Laura, Birdie usually does better against zoners but Guile is like the ultimate zoner so it's still tough.

It's a tough matchup for both though and it just comes down to which character you prefer.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Compared to Laura, Birdie usually does better against zoners but Guile is like the ultimate zoner so it's still tough.

It's a tough matchup for both though and it just comes down to which character you prefer.
I wish I knew when the balance changes were happening because then I could start considering who to main in the long run. Right now I got Juri, Laura, nash, and Balrog. I'll probably just end up maining juri since she's my favorite. People underestimate her vskil. Its not just to move fast but can be cancelled and used on enemy wake up for great mix ups. I beat even the toughest dhalshim with the vskill.
Who do you main by the way?
Is it fang?

I AM SO DRUNK AND BEATING MY FRIEND UP

GOD BLESS STREET FIGHTER AND GOD BLESS AMERICA
I actually hear being drunk can improve your mix ups in Street Fighter. Kinda like the drunken martial art style. Dont know if its total bs or not.

Durden77

Hour one of drunk play is great. The next few not so much.

Pretty much this. It's time for bed now, he started adapting.

I've been playin this dude for like a decade in SF. SF5 has really switched shit up for us and let me move forward a lot quicker than him. Tonight I was coaching him while we were drinking and then he started ACTUALLY LEARNING and adapting which was AWESOME. But THEN, I realized I couldn't handle something similar to an actual match this schmammered.

But yeah, this game is fucking beautiful man.

I feel like a god at fighting games when intoxicated juuuuuuuuust right.

Yup. But the line is so fine lol

Dahbomb

What's up with Cammy players thinking Cammy is terrible? What does she really need?
LTTP but I am a Cammy player and I think she's one of the best characters in the game, could be top 5. When I play her I don't feel limited or unable to do something like I do with other characters.

She has all the tools you need in SFV specifically.

*Superb anti airs, among the best in the games. Quite a few characters even good ones don't even have good anti airs, Cammy has 3 great ones.

*3 frame cr.LP. Crucial in this game as you can blow up a lot of non tight set ups/frame traps.

*Anything that is a light or a medium is plus on block plus they are fast so she has among the best frame data in the game meaning she has among the best frame traps in the game. And frame traps are insanely good in this game.

*Amazing frame traps combined with really fast walk speed means every time Cammy makes you block something it's a mix up because either you are taking a frame trap or a throw. And that is specifically very strong in SFV.

*Has EX Dive Kick which is a really good get in tool.

*Has at least 4-5 ways around projectiles.

*V Skill is actually usable unlike other V Skill in the game. Meaning she can build V meter if need be.

*V reversal has extra utility of getting Cammy out of corner, a crazy tool in SFV because corner is so deadly.

*Can go into her target combo from her 3 frame normal. Not many characters can go into target combo or get significant damage off of lights.

*Excellent pokes for SFV level. Cr.MK and st.MK are excellent, cr.MK into Spiral Arrow is still great and better than what a lot of characters can do at those ranges.

*Great counter pokes as well. Cr.MK can catch a lot of low attacks even long ones, same for st.MP and st.HP to counter poke and whiff punish into Spiral Arrow.

*Some random extra tools like forward HK for a built in shimmy move into big damage, Spiral Arrow leads to crazy corner carry, HK Cannon Spike has insane horizontal range can be used to punish fireballs even, super can get her out of situations and punish fireballs, V Trigger has both utility and can be used as an ultra.

I wouldn't change anything on her that doesn't involve adding more stuff to her. I think giving her something would make her too good. She doesn't need an overhead or a command throw, that is just silly talk... you have all the tools to open up even the best players in SFV. You don't need any additional tools to get in with or to by pass fireballs, you have enough. You don't need better way to confirm combos, poke, anti air or do damage with.

Her 3 weaknesses are low health/stun (lowest in the game I believe or tied for it), kinda weak cross up game and weak crush counter game. She might actually have the worst crush counter in the game but that's whatever because her counter hit game is good regardless, you just need to be on point with confirming the counter hits.

LakeEarth

Wow, some characters can't v-reversal to escape Urien's super. So many invulnerability frames. Some brief testing:

- Chun's can't v-reversal it at point blank
- Ken can v-reversal a point blank super, but gets hit if he v-reversals the normal/tackle that gets cancelled into a super
- Laura's v-reversal whiffs, but her invulnerability frames last long enough that she doesn't get hit, even when cancelled from a normal/tackle (and is prime position to punish)

Didn't try anyone else, must sleep, but probably defensive v-reversals like Rashid's would be fine.

Edit - maybe you could still catch Laura if she v-reversals a normal and Urien late cancels the super. Also, Chun could survive if she v-reversals after blocking the first few hits of the super, but that won't work if she's on the magic pixel.

mbpm1

Wow, some characters can't v-reversal to escape Urien's super. So many invulnerability frames. Some brief testing:

- Chun's can't v-reversal it at point blank
- Ken can v-reversal a point blank super, but gets hit if he v-reversals the normal/tackle that gets cancelled into a super
- Laura's v-reversal whiffs, but her invulnerability frames last long enough that she doesn't get hit, even when cancelled from a normal/tackle (and is prime position to punish)

Didn't try anyone else, must sleep, but probably defensive v-reversals like Rashid's would be fine.

Edit - maybe you could still catch Laura if she v-reversals a normal and Urien late cancels the super.

I v-reversaled Urien's Super as Juri and my reversal whiffed through his body but he didn't have a hitbox on the super after i recovered even though there was still the pillar of flame. I could hit him afterwards while he was still pillaring.

LakeEarth

Yeah, that's sounds like Laura's. It's definitely the quick v-reversals that have the problem of still getting hit by the super.

I guess it's a double edged sword. Some characters can't v-reversal it (on hit 1, they can delay it if they have the health), while others get a whiff, recover and then get a full punish afterwards.

Steroyd

Cammy has the best v reversal in the game, right?

I think so now that I think about it.

It's like Juri's v-trigger in that if you successfully block it Cammy is in for a world of hurt.

But yeah I think it's one of the best you can get out of a corner AND a knockdown if it hits the opponent also has to block the cross up, I really need to start using L1 and L2 more, those buttons don't exist in my mind.

Sayad

Cammy has the best v reversal in the game, right?
It's one of the worst actually if not the worst, slow af(17 start up) and it's -8 on block. Getting her out of the corner isn't a big deal as a lot of other VRs in the game will allow you to get out if they hit.

Chun's VR is faster than Mika's but has less reach and nowhere near as good on hit.

Juri's V-Reversal is the worst.

But then they actually fixed the amount of Iframe it has and now Cammy is back to having the worst V-Reversal.

The move doesn't even cross up at make range pokes and leaves them in a vulnerable state.

Spman2099

Vega's V-Reversal seems pretty versatile and suits his game really nicely. It is, unfortunately, undermined by how awesome the rose is.

Vega's V-Reversal seems pretty versatile and suits his game really nicely. It is, unfortunately, undermined by how awesome the rose is.
Yeah, it's great because he has the two versions which allows him to either avoid a move and possibly punish or just straight up put some distance between the enemy.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Pretty much this. It's time for bed now, he started adapting.

I've been playin this dude for like a decade in SF. SF5 has really switched shit up for us and let me move forward a lot quicker than him. Tonight I was coaching him while we were drinking and then he started ACTUALLY LEARNING and adapting which was AWESOME. But THEN, I realized I couldn't handle something similar to an actual match this schmammered.

But yeah, this game is fucking beautiful man.

Yeah, I have the same sparring friend since SNES Street Fighter. We've approached SF5 in different ways. He has stayed with Laura almost exclusively the entire time, while I have jumped around, with Karin being my new true main. Basically, whenever he steps away from Laura, I dominate with a handful of characters, and when he sticks with her, we break even. Thing is, he is too married to Ranked to try new characters like me. Right now I have shelved Karin for Urien, so soon he shall feel Aegis wrath.

LakeEarth

Most would agree that Urien is a character that "stayed true" to his 3rd Strike self to SF5. But that can't be true, because I didn't like playing him in 3rd Strike, and fricken love the dude in SF5! I can't really put my finger on why.

Most would agree that Urien is a character that "stayed true" to his 3rd Strike self to SF5. But that can't be true, because I didn't like playing him in 3rd Strike, and fricken love the dude in SF5! I can't really put my finger on why.

The main difference is SFV is fun

Well you can still buy 3SO and try him again, or use fightcade... Aegis is good but definitely lost the cheap fun factor it once had (and Urien's TTH combos).

Tripon

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";218811755]Everybody knows that alpha is the worst mainline series. I did like how they did anti-air combos in that game, though. A2 Guy was sweet.[/QUOTE]
I will fight you on this.

Alpha series is the best, not a single bad game in the series, also Alpha 1 Dan was a OP mofo, today's Dan is a joke character, but in Alpha 1 he was legit scary character..also his story was a revenge story...

Mr. X

People seem to like Alpha for A3's large roster, not for them being good games. A2 is the best out of the Alpha series easily.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
You're gonna have to explain this one to me, what do you mean by miss?
Ok so for some V reversals, there is a small chance to miss hitting the opponent and causing white health to them because there is a small window for the enemy to move when you start the v reversal. Like Mika's is pretty good because its a throw so it can't really miss but juri's is oretty bad because you miss due to the angle of it.

Urien is a most play for newcomers. He has good footsies that allows him to them to his V-Trigger. And his EX Headbutt that allows him to react without using complex motions. I've been doing things that I wasn't able to do since USF4 with Decapre.

These reads
giphy.gif

9sxHPBx.jpg

Ok so for some V reversals, there is a small chance to miss hitting the opponent and causing white health to them because there is a small window for the enemy to move when you start the v reversal. Like Mika's is pretty good because its a throw so it can't really miss but juri's is oretty bad because you miss due to the angle of it.
So are we talking the opponent being able to block the v-reversal or it just straight up not connecting?

Cause Juri's is perhaps the only V-reversal I've seen where the latter happens. Also Mika's V-Reversal is a lot like her passion press throw. Technically a grab but it can be blocked.

Mike M

Nick N
Alpha series is the best, not a single bad game in the series, also Alpha 1 Dan was a OP mofo, today's Dan is a joke character, but in Alpha 1 he was legit scary character..also his story was a revenge story...
Alpha was kind of half-baked to me. It's roster was small-ish (though more in keeping with the norm at the time, I guess), and the shared stages were an obvious and glaring shortcut.

Loved the shit out of it, though.

ryu4life

Neo Member
Someone finally figured out how to remove items from Necalli and Chun Li's outfits.

hold 3P, LK and Up to activate

The costumes that this work for are:

Chun Li swimsuit - skirt
Laura swimsuit - jersey
Mika swimsuit - hoodie
Karin swimsuit - hat and glasses
Ibuki swimsuit - scarf
Chun Li CPT - boa
Cammy CPT - boa
Necalli CPT - shirt

Someone finally figured out how to remove items from Necalli and Chun Li's outfits.

hold 3P, LK and Up to activate

The costumes that this work for are:

Chun Li swimsuit - skirt
Laura swimsuit - jersey
Mika swimsuit - hoodie
Karin swimsuit - hat and glasses
Ibuki swimsuit - scarf
Chun Li CPT - boa
Cammy CPT - boa
Necalli CPT - shirt
Awesome, can someone verify?

And maybe take a screenshot of the Laura and Karin swimsuit without the stuff on for..... reasons?

Top Bottom