• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR will pass through 4K but not HDR to your 4KTV

Seth

No, but it's the only logical inference we can make. HDMI 1.4 can pass through 4K, but at a diminished refresh rate (specs say 24P, but it seems 30P is doable). And since HDMI 2.0 is the next spec, which can pass 4K and HDR (with the A revision), we have to assume it's HDMI 1.4, which is already in the PS4.

Im just wondering if they might be able to do an update like they did with the standard ps4.

Yakkity

Well you should be able to use them wirelessly without issue, they just won't have 3D positional audio that the breakout box handles (would be audio straight from the PS4)

Sorry to be the spoiler bit PSVR FAQ says

PSVR Blog said:
Q: Can I use my PULSE wireless headset or other wireless headsets with PS VR?

Yes, but you should connect the wireless headset using a standard 3.5mm wired cable. A wireless audio connection will not work with PS VR.

Pif

Banned
When using just the ps4, does the psvrbox need to be on to pass the hdmi signal?

It kinda sucks to have one more device consuming just because the setup was made so.

androvsky

Sorry to be the spoiler bit PSVR FAQ says

I was afraid of that, I still have the first headset Sony made that doesn't have a headphone jack; it's wireless only. It's frustrating because it's a really good headset (apparently the only one from Sony that's solidly built, good audio quality) and another cost to replace it with something equally decent.

edit:
You didn't know the breakout box has a spatial audio processing unit? Beside the hdmi splitting, thats pretty much what it's for.
There was a distant hope the breakout box would feed the audio back to the system. Probably would've lagged the audio though, so I'm not really surprised.

JP

I can understand that some people may not like this but how many people are really going to be powering the external PSVR unit when it's not actually in use? It's certainly isn't the way I'll be doing this stuff.

AgeEighty

So HDR is the latest thing for people who think it's cool to not care about new things to think it's cool to not care about, correct?

FHIZ

Anyone actually find a viable HDMI splitter than can handle HDR? All the ones I'm finding are through legit AV equipment dealers and not something like amazon.

When using just the ps4, does the psvrbox need to be on to pass the hdmi signal?

It kinda sucks to have one more device consuming just because the setup was made so.

From the FAQ:

The PS VR Processor Unit (PU) supports video pass through so that you can enjoy regular non-VR content on your TV when you have the PS4 connected to the TV via the PU and the PU is connected to power via the AC adapter and the PS VR headset is not in use.

Makes it sound like it needs to be powered to work.

So to avoid the extra power drain (probably minimal honestly) or to get 4k HDR video from your PS4Pro, looks like you'll be swapping cables.

leroidys

Basically you do this and solved... and you need to change from "HDMi 1:VR social screen signal" to "HDMi 2:pS4 HDR signal"

7SjcMco.jpg
And now two precious HDMI slots are taken up on my TV just for PS4. This isn't a great solution.

TRios Zen

I don't know, this seems like a pretty dumb oversight.

I hadn't really been sold on the PSVR (or any other VR yet) and this just seems like a good reason to hold of for the next iteration of these devices. Give them time to work out all the kinks.

Reallink

I can understand that some people may not like this but how many people are really going to be powering the external PSVR unit when it's not actually in use? It's certainly isn't the way I'll be doing this stuff.

Basically everyone. You're intended to leave the breakout box ("PU") hooked up at all times, by design. This is not something you hook/unhook every time you want to play PSVR. You might unhook the HMD itself for long term storage, but not the breakout box. That's the whole point of the pass through.

Uhyve

I would buy the Gold or Platinum headset in a heartbeat if I could use them wirelessly with the PSVR. But having that is about as likely as the PSVR breakout box being able to pass through HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2.

BA-ZING.gif
I'm gonna be plugging a bluetooth audio transmitter into the breakout. Requiring wired audio is ridiculous for VR.

Urgh, I hope Sony get their crap together and make the PS4 not suck for bluetooth support and fix this HDR crap. Not to sound douchy, but when you've spent crazy money on a 4K TV, a PS4 Pro and a VR headset, you kind of expect a more premium experience.

So HDR is the latest thing for people who think it's cool to not care about new things to think it's cool to not care about, correct?

There are probably less than 100 GAF members with 4K, HDR capable HDTVS, so yeah expect a giant "meh" from most posters in these topics for a while.

Ogni-XR21

I remember back in the SNES days we simply would not play games that needed more than one controller because it was such a pain in the ass to plug in another controller. 4 player Bomberman using a multitap? You gotta be kidding me!!

Yes it's a bit annoying but nothing to freak out about.

scrambles

Neo Member
Ok, generally im a sony apologist, but yeah I can see the problem.
HDR does look really nice.
There not being HDR passthrough is lame.
I would hope they'd rectify this asap, but knowing sony, it might take a while.

So, let's see... if I can get a splitter that will pass the HDR signal through it shouldn't be too complicated. I'd just split one straight to an input on my receiver and the other to the VR that then passes itself through to another input on said receiver.

Eh. Sucks, is lame and hopefully maybe will have a firmware update to not need this, but not the end of the world.

I'm wondering if maybe adding HDR to the PS4 was a last minute "Wait, we can do this. Why not?" and the VR stuff was already in production for shipping beforehand and thus didn't have the foresight to be able to work. This is assuming, of course, PS4 Pro features weren't finalized, yet.

I'm gonna be plugging a bluetooth audio transmitter into the breakout. Requiring wired audio is ridiculous for VR.

Urgh, I hope Sony get their crap together and make the PS4 not suck for bluetooth support and fix this HDR crap. Not to sound douchy, but when you've spent crazy money on a 4K TV, a PS4 Pro and a VR headset, you kind of expect a more premium experience.

That's definitely a less than ideal solution for audio, but I doubt 40ms of lag between head movement and sound movement will make a difference (unlike visual lag). The bigger issue is the audio port is inline close to the headset, so you'll have that huge dongle just flapping around on the cable draped from your head.

f@luS

More than a member.
In order to get hdr PS4 and psvr connected to tv the only way is like this ?

(Sorry iPhone note drawing ...)

But if I don't have anymore HDMI in available on my tv I would need a second switch to switch between the first switch and the psvr am I right ?

If so it's crazy complicated. Better just put the psvr in the tv and plug off PS4 and switch cable when needed like this

The box was designed to leave hooked up to the system and not plug in when you want to use it. So almost everyone will be doing it.

LegoDad

And now two precious HDMI slots are taken up on my TV just for PS4. This isn't a great solution.
You can use two switches to get one hdmi in if you really want, or run it to your AVR.

And Sony drops the ball again. The consumer shouldn't have to create a work around.

Couldnt you just have an extra hdmi cable pluged into the tv and when you want hdr just simply switch the two? are people really this lazy these days?

Reallink

Couldnt you just have an extra hdmi cable pluged into the tv and when you want hdr just simply switch the two? are people really this lazy these days?

You don't have to have an extra cable, you can just unplug the end from the breakout box and plug it into the PS4 instead. Problem is HDMI connectors aren't made for frequent hot swapping like that, contacts bend and break pretty easily. A lot of people have borked inputs on TV's trying to force in HDMI cables at crooked angled. Which PSA: is the number one thing you should test for if you ever buy a used TV or monitor, broken HDMI ports. PSVR is also supposed to be the easy hassle free VR option for console noobs who value convenience, so you can assuredly understand the issue with your solution.

androvsky

Pulling the PS4 out and switching cables every time you want to go between anything VR and anything HDR (netflix, newer games) is asking a lot when we have wireless controllers and digital games so people don't have to switch disks. It's also hard on the HDMI port.

Shit, the Atari 2600 had a passthrough that worked, just had to hit that switch. When the NES came with an automatic passthrough it was pretty nice.

The people most affected by this are those with no extra HDMI ports to spare.

Most tvs now days have 4 to 5 esp 4k tvs i find it hard to believe one needs more then the 4 to 5 provided... and if this is such a big factor to those people then its ignorant on their part to get a tv with say two hdmi spots knowing tbey have more then two device's they want hooked up at the same time

ss_lemonade

Don't some TVs only have a single HDMI port that works better with gaming? I think that's the case with those new Vizio P TVs, where one of the ports has better input lag

Gutek

You're gonna have some serious audio delay.

farisr

Most tvs now days have 4 to 5 esp 4k tvs i find it hard to believe one needs more then the 4 to 5 provided... and if this is such a big factor to those people then its ignorant on their part to get a tv with say two hdmi spots knowing tbey have more then two device's they want hooked up at the same time
Yeah, it's the people who are at fault/ignorant in this situation and should have gotten a TV that could dedicate 2 hdmi ports to a single console. Yeah...

smh

LegoDad

I have 4, all used, ps4,wiiu,Xbox one, chromecast, and ARC to surround. Again, it's a bad card to play.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Can't even get a 1080p TV with HDR on the market, now all of this just to get HDR functionality if you got a PSVR.... maybe it's not worth investing in HDR right now.

I'm really not convinced that HDR is the problem in this scenario. A PS4 Pro selling point is HDR. HDR was patched into every PS4 with 4.00. HDR-capable panels are going to be in more and more new TV's, including Sony TV's. And their cutting edge kit in PSVR can't pass HDR through. It isn't the end of the world, but it sure is strange.

It kinda sucks, yeah but, to be fair, it keeps potential latency from the head movement and 3D audio from being a thing, since al of the audio is being processed and sent to the PSVR.

That and, ya know, that port is there anyway, so you might as well use it. It works with any headphones, too.

To be honest, yes. People want things to be simple and Joe Consumer doesn't want ot have to swap cables every single time.

Then you have people with their systems in TV stands that, while there is enough circulation, it's a pain to reach around the PS4 (lol) and swap the cable quickly.

Then you have other people that keep all of their AV stuff in a closet (yes, this is a thing) and all of their media is digital except maybe one or two things and they don't have a ton of boxes at their TV for a cleaner, less cluttered look.

Any one of those means that while, yes, it's a solution, it's an inconvenient one that means they will be less likely to use one feature or the other. This leads to disinterest and failed adoption if it's on the end of hardware like the VR (bad word of mouth, used sales cutting into end profits, etc).

TL;DR (yep, the lazy one): yes, it matters.

Kibbles

if you are not using the PSVR headset you don't need to unplug everything to play non VR games on your TV... but if you have a HDR TV you need to unplug the HDMi from the VR process unit and conect it directly to the TV.

I think this can be solved by a split HDMi cable, and change the HDMi signal from direct/VR PU if you play HDR games.
You need a splitter with 2.0a ports tho which i cant find for under hundreds of $$

Pulling the PS4 out and switching cables every time you want to go between anything VR and anything HDR (netflix, newer games) is asking a lot when we have wireless controllers and digital games so people don't have to switch disks. It's also hard on the HDMI port.

Shit, the Atari 2600 had a passthrough that worked, just had to hit that switch. When the NES came with an automatic passthrough it was pretty nice.

So were assuming people are not going to have the vr box on top of the pro or right beside it? Again would take maybe 5 sec to switch cables. It boils down to people just want to bitch about everything i cant believe how lazy people have become. Its the same as the whole switching discs back in the day takes literally secs.

farisr

You need a splitter with 2.0a ports tho which i cant find for under hundreds of $$
nah, you can get one for $50. But the problem is, most splitters downgrade the signal to the lowest common denominator, so if it's able to detect the limitation of the breakout box, it won't send an HDR signal through the other HDMI cable that's going directly to the TV either.

I utilize 8 HDMI inputs. Having to deal with a 9th isn't ideal. You're saying I was ignorant to think I would need two for a PS4 instead of just one?

JP

Basically everyone. You're intended to leave the breakout box ("PU") hooked up at all times, by design. This is not something you hook/unhook every time you want to play PSVR. You might unhook the HMD itself for long term storage, but not the breakout box. That's the whole point of the pass through.
The box was designed to leave hooked up to the system and not plug in when you want to use it. So almost everyone will be doing it.
I'm not convinced that is the whole point of the powered processing unit.

Although people have been saying this since it was first announced, it's not a passthrough box by any measure at all and there is no mention of it being such a thing in any of the documentation they've released. It is, in Sony's own words, a "processing unit" that runs on an external power brick and it's there to process the signal rather than be a passive box that connects two cables together.

Clearly, people can decide to do what ever they want to try and do with the processing unit but I am genuinely surprised that other people are wanting to leave it and it's external power brick on when it's completely redundant as they're not using it for anything.

EDIT:
TClarify, I know the information that this whole thread is about mentions pass through. What I'm attempting to suggest is that this is new, this is not something that has ever been marketed as a passive passthrough box, only as an external processor so expecting it to do what a passive passthrough box does and then being disappointed when it doesn't because that isn't what it is, doesn't make any sense to me.

f@luS

More than a member.
What about 4K non hdr games ? Pass through the psvr works ?

Edit : answer in Op my bad

Well I won't use the psvr amazingly often so I'll switch cable when needed. Still sux. Supporting 4k but no hdr pass through

I'm not convinced that is the whole point of the powered processing unit.

Although people have been saying this since it was first announced, it's not a passthrough box by any measure at all and there is no mention of it being such a thing in any of the documentation they've released. It is, in Sony's own words, a "processing unit" that runs on an external power brick and it's there to process the signal rather than be a passive box that connects two cables together.

Clearly, people can decide to do what ever they want to try and do with the processing unit but I am genuinely surprised that other people are wanting to leave it and it's external power brick on when it's completely redundant as they're not using it for anything.

My guess was it was intended to be left hooked up because that would be a bit odd to put out a mass consumer device where it was expected for the masses to unplug the box every time and reconnect their PS4 to the TV by reconnecting an HDMI cable in the rear of the unit. It's not very consumer friendly. I would think the design was you'd leave the box hooked up but would unplug the headset to store that away when you're done.

I think people will want to leave it hooked up because it's less of a hassle. Unplugging it and reconnecting your PS4 every time you're done feels on the level of completely unplugging all the wires to your PS4 and putting the PS4 away in a drawer when not in use. Nobody does that.

Raylan

Banned
New tech, tech/hardware by one of the 3 big console manufacturers. Of course it's a 'big deal' for certain people. Totally a huge reason to be concerned ;)

Top Bottom