• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR will pass through 4K but not HDR to your 4KTV

inner-G

Banned
Between this and UHD Blu-ray its like WTF are they thinking. Aren't they a TV company?

I think the Pro is just a quick stopgap and PS5 will be out sooner than people think

Ok that makes it much better then.
It comes with earbuds. It's important to note that.

Nothing about the PSVR breakout box being HDMI 1.4 is good for anyone adopting the standard the industry is moving to.

So, in order for me to switch to 4K+HDR on my UHDTV, while using the PSVR, I will need to
  • Squeeze in between my TV and the wall
  • Unplug the HDMI cable going from the breakout box to my 4K+HDR compatible receiver
  • Take said HDMI cable and squeeze into an even tighter space in my entertainment center
  • Plug HDMI cable into PS4/Pro
  • Try not to kill myself during any of these steps

This is all shades of ridiculous. I feel especially bad for those that have wall mounted HDTVs or have run cabling through the walls/floors.

I guess so haha. I can understand people being a bit annoyed, but to be upset or mad about it is just silly. I'm just surprised how much backlash there is about unplugging and then plugging a cord in!
It's forums man...

IRL this is maybe a minor inconvenience, for people that are even upgrading their TV, and for people that are constantly switching being VR and PS4 that are specially playing a game with HDR support.

It's literally switching a cable lol...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Between this and UHD Blu-ray its like WTF are they thinking. Aren't they a TV company?

I think the Pro is just a quick stopgap and PS5 will be out sooner than people think
A PS5 won't solve these issues. This is a problem with the PSVR break-out box which was seemingly designed without any input from the Pro team.

I'm just surprised how much backlash there is about unplugging and then plugging a cord in!
Changing cables isn't exactly like changing a disc, now is it? I don't think you're considering the huge range of setups people are using. It's a bad solution and a huge oversight.

Isn't the breakout box supposed to be one of those things you setup once and not have to worry about again later? If you don't use VR, to me it looks like things should still work as if you had your ps4 connected directly to your TV. So what exactly is wrong with what farisr said?
Well, yeah, that's what everyone was under the assumption of. Now, if you have a 4K+HDR compatible TV, then that breakout box will not pass through the HDR signal in that 4K+HDR signal.

This is silly, irritating, and dumb. But some people do need to take a chill pill before posting.

An annoying oversight -- nothing more, nothing less.

Isn't the breakout box supposed to be one of those things you setup once and not have to worry about again later? If you don't use VR, to me it looks like things should still work as if you had your ps4 connected directly to your TV. So what exactly is wrong with what farisr said?

You're correct, and this is pretty dumb considering the existence of the PS4Pro.

The breakout box having an HDMI out to the TV serves two purposes: it eliminates the need for swapping cables, and it allows for "social" experiences for people who are in the room NOT wearing the PSVR. Having to swap cables to get the most out of your 4k experience is a huge oversight, hopefully this can be fixed through a firmware upgrade.

I guess so haha. I can understand people being a bit annoyed, but to be upset or mad about it is just silly. I'm just surprised how much backlash there is about unplugging and then plugging a cord in!
Just because your setup allows for you to easily swap HDMI cables at will does not make everyone else's setup the same. Let's start thinking about the variability of people's setups, including Home Theaters.

Fredrik

These are some strange and ridiculous decisions.
It's feeling like Xbox Ones reveal all over : Hubris of being on top.
Uhm, the Xbox One reveal had nothing to do with hubris of being on top, their strategy was crystal clear, they just didn't have a clue what their customers wanted.
As for PSVR, I simply think the VR project started out when HDR wasn't a thing and was eventually left out because it didn't seem like such a big deal.

NewDust

It comes with earbuds. It's important to note that.

Nothing about the PSVR breakout box being HDMI 1.4 is good for anyone adopting the standard the industry is moving to.

So, in order for me to switch to 4K+HDR on my UHDTV, while using the PSVR, I will need to
  • Squeeze in between my TV and the wall
    [*]Unplug the HDMI cable going from the breakout box to my 4K+HDR compatible receiver
    [*]Take said HDMI cable and squeeze into an even tighter space in my entertainment center
  • Switch HDMI cable into PS4/Pro
  • Try not to kill myself during any of these steps

This is all shades of ridiculous. I feel especially bad for those that have wall mounted HDTVs or have run cabling through the walls/floors.

If you have an open HDMI port on your receiver, you might want to use an extra cable to the PS4, negating these steps. Still bad, but a little bit less.

f@luS

More than a member.
This really sux. I guess I'll have to disconnect the Pu every time I don't use the headset. A bit annoying

Metfanant

Pretty silly oversight by the design team here...wouldn't be shocked to see an updated breakout box released relatively soon...

Which will really make those early adopters happy...

This is not the way to help your product gain traction Sony...

scrambles

Neo Member
I'm confused, but what's new?

So ps4 supports hdr, but the vr unit doesnt.
The vr unit also doesn't have hdr content.
And the ps4 pro has two output hdmis.

So, isn't it just one more cord?

joecanada

If you have an open HDMI port on your receiver, you might want to use an extra cable to the PS4, negating these steps. Still bad, but a little bit less.

I'm not criticizing but it kind of always amazes me how many people are early adopters of new video game tech but don't even have an av receiver. priorities I guess, just seems weird to have such shitty sound for a hdmi device.

tv speakers oh god no why. lol. (I know some people prefer or need headphones to be quiet at night, etc).

Fredrik

Just because your setup allows for you to easily swap HDMI cables at will does not make everyone else's setup the same. Let's start thinking about the variability of people's setups, including Home Theaters.
The HDMI ports aren't made for frequent switching either, surface mounted and far too fragile for thick modern cables, enough plugging in and out in a hurry might cause the solder pads to break off from the circuit board.

Actually two more cords, the splitter and the additional HDMI cord on top of having to take up two inputs instead of one just to connect the PS4 now. I already have 8 HDMI devices hooked up. Having to hook up another one isn't ideal, not to mention the complexity of the wiring of my setup combined with the simplicity of design of usage.

The HDMI ports aren't made for frequent switching either, surface mounted and far too fragile for thick modern cables, enough plugging in and out in a hurry might cause the solder pads to break off from the circuit board.

Also this too.

NewDust

What additional AUX port? I don't remember seeing one.

Im talking about this one

29bjR3X.png

MazeHaze

Banned
For everybody saying just buy a splitter, I don't think it's that easy, or if it is somebody needs to link me to a good splitter, because I've been looking for one to use to split my pc.

First of all, a good hdmi splitter that does 4k 4:4:4 60 hz is pretty expensive. Second of all, as fas as I've gathered from inquiring to sellers, If you split the signal and one signal ends at 4:2:0, the other signal will default to 4:2:0 as well. So if you used a splitter in this case, it would be pointless because both signals would just deault to whatever the PSVR passes through.

If the PSVR can't pass through HDR, then a splitter won't pass HDR to either end of the chain.

f@luS

More than a member.

I have no more hdmi on my tv just 3 already used. So it's more like ps4p/psvr/tv for psvr then take out PS4 pro to psvr hdmi cable straight to for non psvr games.

An it annoying but ok

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Good thing it looks exactly the same
What looks the same?

You did already fooled around with the PSVR, right?

Allow me to blatantly go off-topic, but do you have any idea why the breakoutbox has an additional AUX-port?
Both ports go to the headset. You have to pull the cover back, plug in the two plugs to the headset, and let it go. There's no extra port.

NewDust

Both of those connections go out to the headset.

Both ports go to the headset. You have to pull the cover back, plug in the two plugs to the headset, and let it go. There's no extra port.

Ah, I missed that, though it's quite clearly in the blue cable layout picture. Here I was with my head thinking it was somehow needed to plug in the Eye, instead of it being in the normal PS4 port.

Paz

What a massive design oversight considering their push for 4K and HDR content starting at almost the same time.

This is gonna make my setup a massive pain in the arse :(

Fisty

Eh I kinda thought, combined with Sony's lack of firm HDR support on their TV sets and the overall messaging at announcement, that HDR was kind of a last minute addition. This supports that, somewhat. I don't think they were going to push it with Pro, but with XB1S pushing it, they were able to give us a software solution. Like UHD, they were probably going to skip both with Pro since adoption and standards are not where they need to be yet

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
LukasTaves said:
Don't tell me the psvr doesn't come with a headset and you have to use one yourself? Can this at least be wireless?
As others have pointed out - it does come with bundled plugs - but I kind of like the headset plug coming from the HMD wire. Other headsets make it a lot more unwieldy to plug your own headphones.

I do think wireless should technically work with Pulse/Gold wireless headphones (connect the transmitter into PSVR output), but that just puts a wire in another direction rather than save it - so probably defeats the purpose.

I guess I will have have two hdmi cables going to the PS4, and leave VR unplugged unless I'm using it. It's not like you can use VR without a physical set up process anyways.

Inconvenient, but so is vr.

lol @ everyone trying to make this about the number of wires. It really isn't that bad. Most of the ones picture you're already using.

Always gotta find some way to complain.

+1 to both of these comments.

Fisty

As others have pointed out - it does come with bundled plugs - but I kind of like the headset plug coming from the HMD wire. Other headsets make it a lot more unwieldy to plug your own headphones.

I do think wireless should technically work with Pulse/Gold wireless headphones (connect the transmitter into PSVR output), but that just puts a wire in another direction rather than save it - so probably defeats the purpose.

I think the headsets need to be wired for 3D sound, you'd have to use ear buds or a cord with the Gold/Pulse headsets, I believe there is supposed to be a jack on the VR headset itself iirc

I think the headsets need to be wired for 3D sound, you'd have to use ear buds or a cord with the Gold/Pulse headsets, I believe there is supposed to be a jack on the VR headset itself iirc
I would buy the Gold or Platinum headset in a heartbeat if I could use them wirelessly with the PSVR. But having that is about as likely as the PSVR breakout box being able to pass through HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2.

BA-ZING.gif

Fisty

I would buy the Gold or Platinum headset in a heartbeat if I could use them wirelessly with the PSVR. But having that is about as likely as the PSVR breakout box being able to pass through HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2.

BA-ZING.gif

Well you should be able to use them wirelessly without issue, they just won't have 3D positional audio that the breakout box handles (would be audio straight from the PS4)

do we know for sure that the hdmi port on the PU is 1.4?
No, but it's the only logical inference we can make. HDMI 1.4 can pass through 4K, but at a diminished refresh rate (specs say 24P, but it seems 30P is doable). And since HDMI 2.0 is the next spec, which can pass 4K and HDR (with the A revision), we have to assume it's HDMI 1.4, which is already in the PS4.

Well you should be able to use them wirelessly without issue, they just won't have 3D positional audio that the breakout box handles (would be audio straight from the PS4)
That's what I meant.

Fisty

No, but it's the only logical inference we can make. HDMI 1.4 can pass through 4K, but at a diminished refresh rate (specs say 24P, but it seems 30P is doable). And since HDMI 2.0 is the next spec, which can pass 4K and HDR (with the A revision), we have to assume it's HDMI 1.4, which is already in the PS4.

That's what I meant.

Yeah but PS4 has 1.4 but does HDR so obviously there's some trickery going on. Probably can't update the PU's firmware though, which might be the issue that prevents this from getting done

SURGEdude

This really smacks of one hand not knowing what the other hand is doing... hopefully they can remedy this via a firmware update but with the recent push of HDR to all PS4s and it being a key highlight of the PS4 Pro reveal, I can't imagine Sony will just leave it this way... going "all in" should get you premiums, not trade-offs.

@ bolded. Exactly. I just smells of different groups not talking with each other. It's a strange oversight.

Top Bottom