• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR will pass through 4K but not HDR to your 4KTV

NewDust

Clearly, people can decide to do what ever they want to try and do with the processing unit but I am genuinely surprised that other people are wanting to leave it and it's external power brick on when it's completely redundant as they're not using it for anything.

Speaking of which... There isn't a power switch on the PU, so in order to turn if off, one has to physically unplug it from the power source. Unless they have some sort of HDMI-CEC type of control built-in, to switch to standby.

I would say you probably have to many things hooked up 8s a lil ridiculous

It sounds to me that you're trying to shoehorn everyone into a setup that should have guaranteed one open extra HDMI port for this scenario and that people should have anticipated it. Who are you to define that I have too many things hooked up?

virtualS

Looks like I'll need a dedicated high speed hdmi cable plugged into the HDR compatible input of my TV at all times. When I feel like playing 4K HDR stuff, will have to plug that cable into the back of the PS4 Pro.

If Sony knew they'd be pushing HDR a year out, you'd think they'd get the PSVR screen and connections HDR ready. Current LG OLED screens can look good in HDR while only producing maybe a third of the peak brightness of top end FALD LCD screens. That breakout box should be tone mapping HDR10 down to a 700 nit OLED in the PSVR through HDMI 2.0a connections.

Perhaps HDR and VR produce too much eye strain when combined? Nah.

I have 4, all used, ps4,wiiu,Xbox one, chromecast, and ARC to surround. Again, it's a bad card to play.

Wait...if you have ARC then you have a receiver, why are you connecting your components to the TV first? You're losing the losing the lossless audio. Is it a home theater in a box with the BD player doubling as the receiver then?

Otherwise the only time you should do this is if your receiver doesn't support 4K and HDR (like my now ancient one) in which case yeah you need to bypass it.

androvsky

I'm not convinced that is the whole point of the powered processing unit.

Although people have been saying this since it was first announced, it's not a passthrough box by any measure at all and there is no mention of it being such a thing in any of the documentation they've released. It is, in Sony's own words, a "processing unit" that runs on an external power brick and it's there to process the signal rather than be a passive box that connects two cables together.

Clearly, people can decide to do what ever they want to try and do with the processing unit but I am genuinely surprised that other people are wanting to leave it and it's external power brick on when it's completely redundant as they're not using it for anything.

EDIT:
TClarify, I know the information that this whole thread is about mentions pass through. What I'm attempting to suggest is that this is new, this is not something that has ever been marketed as a passive passthrough box, only as an external processor so expecting it to do what a passive passthrough box does and then being disappointed when it doesn't because that isn't what it is, doesn't make any sense to me.
It'd be an even larger design oversight if it wasn't intended to be a passthrough box. Let's stick with Sony's being cheap here, it's the more generous option.
So were assuming people are not going to have the vr box on top of the pro or right beside it? Again would take maybe 5 sec to switch cables. It boils down to people just want to bitch about everything i cant believe how lazy people have become. Its the same as the whole switching discs back in the day takes literally secs.
I can't tell if you're being serious at this point. Like I said, the NES handled this better in 1985, and you had to push a button on the unit to use it.

The only thing that's ridiculous here is the lengths you are going to, to find some way to fault people for having a problem with this just because you don't.

The same way youre faulting sony? Because you are somehow incapable of switching cords because its a inconvenience to you? Im just saying everyones all up in arms about something thats not a problem.

The same way youre faulting sony? Because you are somehow incapable of switching cords because its a inconvenience to you? Im just saying everyones all up in arms about something thats not a problem.

Why have multiple HDMI inputs on a TV if all you need is one? You're wrong saying it's not a problem. It most definitely is a problem. How big of a problem will vary, but it is definitely a problem and a worse setup than having it simply pass through HDR.

androvsky

Remember, it's switching cables every time you go between any VR app or game, and anything HDR like Netflix, Amazon Streaming, and many AAA games.

It'd be an even larger design oversight if it wasn't intended to be a passthrough box. Let's stick with Sony's being cheap here, it's the more generous option.

The only thing it was ever initially designed to pass through was clearly the social screen for multiplayer VR games (all of which will clearly max out at 1080p with no HDR, no one's making 4K VR games on a console let alone one with a 1080p built in screen). Not saying it's not silly or cheap that it doesn't seem to be able to pass-through HDR since it can pass through 4K, but passing through non-VR games (except for cinematic mode) was likely never considered its purpose. Still it's easy enough to get around it.

farisr

You mean mentioning that this is a stupid move by Sony once, and then letting some people know why their proposed solutions to this issue aren't really doable for everyone, as opposed to continually mentioning that people shouldn't have a problem with this over and over again with shifting goalposts and arguments. Yeah, totally the same thing.

Can't even get a 1080p TV with HDR on the market, now all of this just to get HDR functionality if you got a PSVR.... maybe it's not worth investing in HDR right now.

It's DEFINITELY not worth investing in HDR right now, even without this PSVR issue. TV manufacturers themselves haven't even settled on a universal standard for what constitutes HDR-compliant video.

*Splinter

Basically you do this and solved... and you need to change from "HDMi 1:VR social screen signal" to "HDMi 2:pS4 HDR signal"

7SjcMco.jpg
Ohh yeah that's it

Oh and you can put another splitter just before the TV to use only 1 HDMi channel (but you will need a splitter that can switch stream instead).

Mmmm yeah

Fuckin' love needlessly complicated splitter/converter setups. Reminds me of the good old PS3 to 2.1 situation.

5taquitos

Ohh yeah that's it

Oh and you can put another splitter just before the TV to use only 1 HDMi channel (but you will need a splitter that can switch stream instead).

Mmmm yeah

Fuckin' love needlessly complicated splitter/converter setups. Reminds me of the good old PS3 to 2.1 situation.
Just reminded me of this:

2005108161850836.gif

*Splinter

I use one of these at the moment:
$_35.JPG

3 HDMi in, 1 out, button on top switches between the 3 sources.

So stick that into the blue diagram just before the TV. Obviously you need to press the button so might not be convenient depending on your setup (I play at a desk).

I almost want to get an HDR screen just to make that mess a reality.

farisr

$_35.JPG

So stick that into the blue diagram just before the TV. Obviously you need to press the button so might not be convenient depending on your setup (I play at a desk).
Edit: NVM I get what you're saying. This would be the second switch in the whole setup. But yeah, it'd have to support HDR.

Symbiotx

You didn't know the breakout box has a spatial audio processing unit? Beside the hdmi splitting, thats pretty much what it's for.

I had heard but didn't think much about it. I was always thinking that wireless audio would be the same as it is now. Makes sense though.

$_35.JPG

I almost want to get an HDR screen just to make that mess a reality.

That little switch also doesn't support 4k HDR, so you're going to need a new HDMI switch.

*Splinter

That won't work. You would need 1 in, 2 out, with the ability to switch the output sources rather than being in constant communication with both, as splitters tend to downgrade to the lowest quality (which would be the PU without HDR).
I should have quoted the diagram I was talking about:

You are right that the HDMi splitter shown here needs to be "1 in, 2 out". I was talking about adding a "2 in, 1 out" HDMi switch just before the TV, which may or may not be more convenient depending on your setup / how many HDMi channels you have available.

That little switch also doesn't support 4k HDR, so you're going to need a new HDMI switch.
Also true. I've tried a few similar switches and they all seem very cheap, no idea if any support HDR.

f@luS

More than a member.
In order to get hdr PS4 and psvr connected to tv the only way is like this ?

(Sorry iPhone note drawing ...)

But if I don't have anymore HDMI in available on my tv I would need a second switch to switch between the first switch and the psvr am I right ?

If so it's crazy complicated. Better just put the psvr in the tv and plug off PS4 and switch cable when needed like this

Quoting myself. Is it correct ?

f@luS

More than a member.
It's correct, although the switch by the PS4 should actually be a splitter.
Still overall for me as I have no more hdmi IN the best option is to switch cable manually ... when I use psvr. It's not THAT annoying as to go psvr means grab headset and so on so I can take 5sec to switch cable. It's still not the most convenient way

FHIZ

Still overall for me as I have no more hdmi IN the best option is to switch cable manually ...

That's honestly going to be the only option for a bunch of people, because finding an HDMI splitter that currently supports HDR is damn near impossible. They're out there, but the money they cost is nearly as stupid as the oversight that's causing this problem.

Cyanity

Banned
So if I'm reading this right, all five people who own HDR TVs in the US will have to get up and move the HDMI cable when they want to switch from using PSVR to playing an HDR compatible game? Doesn't really seem like that big of a deal, especially when HDMI splitters exist.

So if I'm reading this right, all five people who own HDR TVs in the US will have to get up and move the HDMI cable when they want to switch from using PSVR to playing an HDR compatible game? Doesn't really seem like that big of a deal, especially when HDMI splitters exist.

Except for the fact that HDMI splitters that support 4K HDR aren't widely available or cheap. Plus it's pretty annoying to swap cables constantly and HDMI ports aren't designed for constant swapping. How many people here unplug their consoles and put them away when they're done? If you don't, why don't you? Because it would be annoying?

Alebrije

Basically you do this and solved... and you need to change from "HDMi 1:VR social screen signal" to "HDMi 2:pS4 HDR signal"

7SjcMco.jpg

All these years and we have not developed a technology that eliminates all the wires. As a minimalist clean room areas fan , wires are the worse enemy of flexibility and clean areas.

That image looks like a mess.

f@luS

More than a member.
Except for the fact that HDMI splitters that support 4K HDR aren't widely available or cheap. Plus it's pretty annoying to swap cables constantly and HDMI ports aren't designed for constant swapping. How many people here unplug their consoles and put them away when they're done? If you don't, why don't you? Because it would be annoying?
It's annoying but it's a Vr headset. You need to get in position , grab it and so on. Few more second isn't a big deal to swap cable. though hdr passthrough would be better

I don't understand one thing. HDMI that allows 4K can work with hdmi 1.4 but not at 60hz. If here you can use 60hz2160p why no hdr ?

Wireframe

Maaaaaan this is gonna be a pain in the ass, especially if people route their cables to a wall mounted display.

It's annoying but it's a Vr headset. You need to get in position , grab it and so on. Few more second isn't a big deal to swap cable. though hdr passthrough would be better

It's not so easy to get access to the back to swap cables constantly. Disconnecting the VR headset is easy because it connects in the front. Anyone who puts theirs in a cabinet is going to have to pull it out or reach blindly all the time.

MazeHaze

Banned
You mean mentioning that this is a stupid move by Sony once, and then letting some people know why their proposed solutions to this issue aren't really doable for everyone, as opposed to continually mentioning that people shouldn't have a problem with this over and over again with shifting goalposts and arguments. Yeah, totally the same thing.

Same thing as the pspro will not support 4k blu ray thread. A bunch of people with basic set ups using the tv speakers and 1080p tvs saying, "duuhhhh I don't use the four kays! This is a non issue, dolby atmos? That's just for millionaires! Hurrr!"

MazeHaze

Banned

First of all, millions of people in the US own HDR displays, that's why sony is pushing 4k hdr with the pro. That's why Forza and NBA2k support HDR. That's why Deus Ex got a patch today to support HDR.

Second of all, HDMI splitters that would eliminate this specific problem don't exist as far as I know, and if they do they're upwards of 200 dollars.

Why do people who don't own 4k HDR displays try to speak for the people who do? You literally have no experience with these things.

Wireframe

First of all, millions of people in the US own HDR displays, that's why sony is pushing 4k hdr with the pro. That's why Forza and NBA2k support HDR. That's why Deus Ex got a patch today to support HDR.

Second of all, HDMI splitters that would eliminate this specific problem don't exist as far as I know, and if they do they're upwards of 200 dollars.

Why do people who don't own 4k HDR displays try to speak for the people who do? You literally have no experience with these things.

I'm not even in the US and I recently got an LG OLED display. With the splitter issue I think I'll just take the hit on the 4k only passthrough and if I absolutely wanna experience HDR I'll swap over a pre-routed HDMI cable from my XBONE or Wii U.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Odd. Doesn't HDR just use more bandwidth, what would stop Sony from using a higher bandwidth connection in the breakout box?
$15? /s

zoozilla

Weird oversight, but it seems like HDR passthrough is still a tricky thing in these early days. It's really a strangely underdeveloped tech for how strongly it's being pushed right now.

Ok maybe this is kind of fucked

LOL.

Koren

I wouldn't say "solved" when it require two HDMI on your TV (or and additionnal automatic switcher) and I'd like to know how it handle HDCP, because those splitters are usually bad with HDCP (because it messes with the handshake)

Koren

Weird oversight, but it seems like HDR passthrough is still a tricky thing in these early days. It's really a strangely underdeveloped tech for how strongly it's being pushed right now.
Well, the specification about the Electric-Optic Transfer Function for *CRT* has been officially defined in... 2011.

You can expect something clear specifications for HDR content circa... 2120?

Top Bottom