• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV copies out in the wild (street date broken in Peru, possibly elsewhere)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But is surrounded by open world. Give me a world map leading to those dungeons.

The open world is the world map

36c67cf603670d027a5a2ed3b04f81a6.png

K.Sabot

Anyone know if subtitles for incidental / battle dialogue is done well?

Stuff like things not being to understand battle text because it's unsubbed is unfortunately common in a bunch of dual audio games.

The open world is the world map

Yep, and it's why I'm still looking forward to it. While I agree that linear design has been a major part of FF for years, I don't necessarily think that rules this out from following that same design. It's a different approach, but it could still have a large amount of linear areas scattered throughout. Plus in all honesty every FF game feels bigger until you've beaten it. When you look back at any of the games from a high level save it's pretty apparent that they got a lot of content out of the areas, rather than the world itself being particularly big. Opinion of course, but it's a feeling I've always had when I reach the end game.

A world map, has never been considered open world design. Open world is more than just "big spaces".

I'd debat that but it seems like it would end in semantics, but it doesn't limit it from serving the same purpose though. If they do manage to have the linear content throughout the world too then the open world can serve as an improvement IMO, since it would actually be a journey to go from say Midgar to Kalm rather than a 10 second stroll east and could allow larger scale events between the areas than the random battles of the old days. It's just about handling it right, but I've not played the game to know yet. They may have nailed it or screwed it up completely.

I don't mind open world when the combat is good and/or world design is amazing.

So I like it in FFXV. My concern is more so with dead space in the actual world, which is something the Judgment Demo only made worse.

But I guess it depends on how the world in the final game feels. Between the combat, fishing, minigames and camping, it might just work good enough to justify the open world structure.

But is surrounded by open world. Give me a world map leading to those dungeons.

I hear this -- but it seems like if you focus on the main story w/ XV you could basically create this type of experience. Car traversal across map isn't that different from old-school world map (2-5 minutes w/ some nice tunes between primary locations).

A world map, has never been considered open world design. Open world is more than just "big spaces".

Open world in RPGs is today's world map, and you're probably not going to see a world map like the ones of before outside of some random indies or low-budget games.

Honestly, the only reason the old RPGs had that kind of world maps was because rendering the whole world like FFXII or FFXV do was impossible.
FFXV open world isn't even that far from PSX Final Fantasy's world map, if you scrap the random quests and collectibles, you end up with an overworld where you can go to cities and villages and find dungeons.

It's not like it has become something like GTA and we go through the world banging whores and blowing shit up.

Skulldead

Holy shit I've just watch a section with a hunt, people are not kidding when they say the game is challenging, It look so much fun to play :

Level 35 with 5 mob level 30, they 2-3 shot easily, it was chaotic but great to watch!

sappyday

I'm assuming that map is excluding the linear segments (not the train segments)

At this point I fully expect Tenebrea to be on the side or not explorable at all

I hear this -- but it seems like if you focus on the main story w/ XV you could basically create this type of experience. Car traversal across map isn't that different from old-school world map (2-5 minutes w/ some nice tunes between primary locations).

But the good thing about World Maps is that you can sidetrack from the main path, and everything you find is worthwhile, with no filler, with no get 10 Behemoth skins shit, no random NPC conversations that don't add anything. Gongaga is totally optional, a nice event with it's own boss fight and cutscenes, and takes like one min of exploration to find, no filler between, no picking up trash, no walking for 20 minutes trying to find something worth of the time invested.

Blue Dragon have chest and other cool stuff to find. Still gives you the wonder of discovery on a more convenient way.

I mean, open world design can work, but JRPG are clearly not there yet.

Open world in RPGs is today's world map, and you're probably not going to see a world map like the ones of before outside of some random indies or low-budget games.

Honestly, the only reason the old RPGs had that kind of world maps was because rendering the whole world like FFXII or FFXV do was impossible.
FFXV open world isn't even that far from PSX Final Fantasy's world map, if you scrap the random quests and collectibles, you end up with an overworld where you can go to cities and villages and find dungeons.

It's not like it has become something like GTA and we go through the world banging whores and blowing shit up.

So if you scrap everything that makes an open world design?

And GTA is about what you want, that's kinda the point, there's also collectibles and random quests in these games.

Balls

Banned
I'm assuming that map is excluding the linear segments (not the train segments)

At this point I fully expect Tenebrea to be on the side or not explorable at all

Who knows. I mean we've barely even see Altissia and we know that's fully explorable. I see Tenebrae being more of a hub or even a dungeon than a fully explorable town though.

But the good thing about World Maps is that you can sidetrack from the main path, and everything you find is worthwhile, with no filler, with no get 10 Behemoth skins shit, no random NPC conversations that don't add anything. Gongaga is totally optional, a nice event with it's own boss fight and cutscenes, and takes like one min of exploration to find, no filler between, no picking up trash, no walking for 20 minutes trying to find something worth of the time invested.

Blue Dragon have chest and other cool stuff to find. Still gives you the wonder of discovery on a more convenient way.

I mean, open world design can work, but JRPG are clearly not there yet.

So if you scrap everything that makes an open world design?

And GTA is about what you want, that's kinda the point, there's also collectibles and random quests in these games.
I don't think you've understood anything that I said, but oh well.

No one forces you to do that 10 behemoth skin shit, you can go to through the main story and use the overworld to travel through key points in the map and to look for dungeons and shit. Ta-da, here's your classic world map.
I don't see any problem with hunts and sidequests as long as they are optional. If you like to kill 10 behemoths, do it, if you don't like it, don't do it.

I mean, I respect you opinion, tastes and all that, but the overworld in this game is basically a full size world map.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I think Relaxed Muscle's concern here might echo mine: the amount of development time tied to designing open worlds almost invariably weakens the amount of story content which winds up in the finished products. I have been told The Witcher 3 bucks this trend. But outside of TW3 I'm unaware of any examples of open world games which don't have issues of sparseness.

Oh, I see what you're saying. True, can't really recreate that type of experience in a semi-open world.

I liked those too, and I hope some games of a similar sort keep getting made.

My current interest though is how good, coherent, well paced narrative can be realized in a semi-open world (Witcher 3 flirts w/ this at times, though falls well short of what I'd really like to see). Early reports from XV seem it probably won't really deliver fully on that front either, but I really liked the driving mechanic in my time w/ Judgement and I'm curious how that might contribute to pacing in a semi-open world (I won't do all side content on a first play through anyway).

I don't think you've understood anything that I said, but oh well.

No one forces you to do that 10 behemoth skin shit, you can go to through the main story and use the overworld to travel through key points in the map and to look for dungeons and shit. Ta-da, here's your classic world map.
I don't see any problem with hunts and sidequests as long as they are optional. If you like to kill 10 behemoths, do it, if you don't like it, don't do it.

I mean, I respect you opinion, tastes and all that, but the overworld in this game is basically a full size world map.

Look for dungeons in several square kilometers of space is not what I call fun, and that's the problem.

I think Relaxed Muscle's concern here might echo mine: the amount of development time tied to designing open worlds almost invariably weakens the amount of story content which winds up in the finished products. I have been told The Witcher 3 bucks this trend. But outside of TW3 I'm unaware of any examples of open world games which don't have issues of sparseness.

Is not like W3 is perfect either, but is incredible rewarding when you find, actually optional content that is meaningful, and how often interwines between it.

Still haven't got my email... you got one right? Because my order status on the site has been "shipped" since I was charged weeks ago.

All I can say is just be a bit patient. Been waiting all day since saw some people getting there tracking number emails. Only got mine about an hour ago.

Hyro

Banned

That has/had source material to draw narratives from. Unlike most open world games.

Actually, remembering the Edge preview, I'm far more worried about the linear parts then I am with the open world stuff.

The Duscae and especially the Judgment Demo are really good indicators about the game.

The worst feeling is going to be if I'm really enjoying the game until it switches to linear and when the switch happens, those gameplay segments in the linear portion just can't match the first half and are too different then what I've been enjoying.

At that point, the story would be to be damn spectacular for me to finish the game.

Actually, remembering the Edge preview, I'm far more worried about the linear parts then I am with the open world stuff.

The Duscae and especially the Judgment Demo are really good indicators about the game.

The worst feeling is going to be if I'm really enjoying the game until it switches to linear and when the switch happens, those gameplay segments in the linear portion just can't match the first half and are too different then what I've been enjoying.

At that point, the story would be to be damn spectacular for me to finish the game.

It's probably where most of the set pieces will be set (I guess) so that should keep the interest up even if it turns out to be super linear.

Gonna cut through the doom and gloom to ask a question. The UCE is being shipped under UPS SurePost. If I upgrade it to Ground, will that make it come faster? Cause all I know so far is that it will give me delivery location control.

12BoM

Wow this page has a ton of overthinking. Y'all killing the fun of this shit, like usual

This. Its crazy. If you guys had this much info before the release of your favorite final fantasy game or any game for that matter you'd be doom and gloom too.

Just go into it and have fun

HeelPower

The game is getting disected & lobotmized to death without anyone ever having had the chance to play it.

This early leak had been a fun killing disaster.

We're already in a post mortem analysis phase & its not even out!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The game is getting disected & lobotmized to death without anyone ever having had the chance to play it.

This early leak had been a fun killing disaster.

We're already in a post mortem analysis phase & its not even out!

Did anyone actually complete the game and give full impressions
that isn't Verendus
? :p

It's probably where most of the set pieces will be set (I guess) so that should keep the interest up even if it turns out to be super linear.

All I'm really hoping for is that even the linear portions give you a ton of room for the combat.

Let's see how it plays out in the game, but I really enjoy the combat > camping loop in the latest demo so hopefully that translates throughout the game.

Gbraga

I don't really mind at all. I'm super excited, but I find it fun to read people expressing their concerns and wishes for the game.

This self-perpetuating culture of negativity and "nothing is ever good enough" is undoubtedly the worst thing about modern-era gaming. Stuff like DLC and day-one patches don't even come close.

Fortunately, I'm immune to it! Still waiting on and hoping for our review copy to arrive, but failing that, GET HERE FASTER 29TH.

HeelPower

Did anyone actually complete the game and give full impressions
that isn't Verendus
? :p

Even if someone did,its by no means a consensus of opinions but merely there own, private opinion.

I wish I was immune to negativity but I am not.

Lucky me I played FFXIII prior to being a regular on GAF & had an amazing experience because of it.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I'm just glad the negativity is not affecting me. Maybe because i never was a hardcore FF fan. In the end i just want a good game to play and have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom